Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Smoke Break
Feb 28, 2009

*snicker*

gbs but from 2004 posted:

This is very interesting to me, do you know the name of the pedal?

Cvlt Deluxe. It's out of stock though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Smoke Break
Feb 28, 2009

*snicker*

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

I got my big, dumb, not pink bass today. It’s pretty good for not being pink.

Seafoam green. My fav <3

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

"i STarTed this TOIlEt Of A tHreaD aNd HAve sOmEHOW aVoidEd A red teXt"

A Smoke Break posted:

Cvlt Deluxe. It's out of stock though.

Looks like they don’t exist in the UK either, gently caress

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

How the hell do people have such nice, neat pedalboards? I know that mine's a goddamn mess because I have like eight different sizes of pedal on there, none of which match, but...

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Put the pedals where they fit best and criss-cross the patch cables under the board.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Or do what I did and learn to love your Multi-FX units.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I got my big, dumb, not pink bass today. It’s pretty good for not being pink.

Nice and also excellent JM

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Nice and also excellent JM

Thanks! It's a 2018 American Original JM. It's bone stock except I swapped in a mastery bridge. It's the finest instrument I've ever touched.

I got a hell of a deal on it around my birthday this year. The previous owner nicked the bottom of it ever so slightly and couldn't bear it. Got it for $675 off retail with free shipping.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Like, that's awesome and all (and hell, I've taken advantage of deals like that myself), but why do people do this? It's a minor scuff, if we can take dents off a car, we can fix that easy-peasy!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I got my used Classic Player JM for $500 because it had a few chips on the body and a ding on the back of the neck ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I'd rather get a good deal on a well-loved instrument that plays well than have to pay top dollar on a mint instrument.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Trio + band creator and looper.

This thing costs slightly more than the guitar I have with me but it's easier than trying to fit three other people and their instruments into my room.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Wark Say posted:

Like, that's awesome and all (and hell, I've taken advantage of deals like that myself), but why do people do this? It's a minor scuff, if we can take dents off a car, we can fix that easy-peasy!

I’m not gonna fix it. Since it’s dinged already I don’t have to baby it!

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Siivola posted:

Put the pedals where they fit best and criss-cross the patch cables under the board.

Oh, I did. It's just...they're not very tetrisable.

Guitar -> Switch Blade (for plugging in without having to find a way around the power strip or when I leave the board at my keyboard, I can plug them both in and use the switch to flip between) -> Monarch (on 18, gets its own wart) -> Boneshaker -> Electric Mistress (I know they make them smaller now, but I love this stupid thing with its own hardwired power cable) -> Stereo Pulsar -> Fluorescence -> Amp

Wark Say posted:

Or do what I did and learn to love your Multi-FX units.

It's tempting, but the magic of adding one weird box to another is half the fun. Also why I kinda want to get into modular synths.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jun 8, 2019

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Replace the power strip with a reasonably-sized power solution and buy a big roll of velcro, that'll get you most of the way towards not looking like a hardware store parts bin. :v:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

I’m not gonna fix it. Since it’s dinged already I don’t have to baby it!
Oh no, don't misunderstand me: I get why you got it, BabyRat. I looooove instruments with scars myself. We cool and in the same wave on that. :):respek::)

But I see why a bunch of peeps sell their instruments because they got slightly dented and it immediately makes me go "If it bothers you that much and you still like the instrument, just get it fixed", but nope, they still sell it, just because of a small frigging ding/dent. Like, that's the thing that sorta baffles me to see happen.

However, taking advantage of the fact that peeps like the ones I just described in the previous paragraph sell their instruments is basically why I spend like 15-to-20 minutes every day searching for new, fun stuff in Reverb.com, preferably if it shows up with anything between "very good" to "fair" gear conditions. I'm still going to take a good deal when I see one. ;)

hexwren posted:

It's tempting, but the magic of adding one weird box to another is half the fun. Also why I kinda want to get into modular synths.
Oh, I totally get it. I have an insane collection of pedals in my storage room (what with being a semi-retired recording engineer and all), which I use all the dadgum time for recording purposes and when I want to jam in either of the studios I have access to. But for live purposes? In 2 of the bands I play with, I have about 4 sounds for each band and that's all I really need. And out of those 8 sounds, I'm using 2 about 95% of the time for one band and 75% percent of the time for the other.

Hell, I'm beginning to think that the POD HD I use is overkill because it does those sounds too well for what I need and I'm kinda glad one of the goons in this sub-forum sorta talked me out of getting a Helix.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Siivola posted:

Replace the power strip with a reasonably-sized power solution and buy a big roll of velcro, that'll get you most of the way towards not looking like a hardware store parts bin. :v:

I can't stand velcro, personally - it attracts crud, it leaves adhesive residue all over the gear, it melts a little and the velcro slides around...

I'm not sure what a reasonably-sized power solution would be, as the EM has its own AC cord, and since I'm usually playing in close-up circumstances (several people in chairs in a room) I generally plug the amp into the board as well.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Wark Say posted:

Oh no, don't misunderstand me: I get why you got it, BabyRat. I looooove instruments with scars myself. We cool and in the same wave on that. :):respek::)

But I see why a bunch of peeps sell their instruments because they got slightly dented and it immediately makes me go "If it bothers you that much and you still like the instrument, just get it fixed", but nope, they still sell it, just because of a small frigging ding/dent. Like, that's the thing that sorta baffles me to see happen.

However, taking advantage of the fact that peeps like the ones I just described in the previous paragraph sell their instruments is basically why I spend like 15-to-20 minutes every day searching for new, fun stuff in Reverb.com, preferably if it shows up with anything between "very good" to "fair" gear conditions. I'm still going to take a good deal when I see one. ;)

The best part is that it's in a barely noticeable spot anyway. I also live upstairs from a really great luthier who offered to fix it for me. I'll probably take him up on that and have him put block inlays on the neck so she gets real fancy.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Wark Say posted:

Lol what kind of baby sees a small scratch on their instrument and just... decides to throw a tantrum and get rid of it?

If I just gave up on every guitar I scratched, I'd never have gotten off the ground floor with my playing ability. I'd be too busy flipping stuff. A guitar dent is a good thing. It means you're playing your instrument a lot, or that it's out in the open enough to where you can play it whenever you want. That means it's just kinda in a position to get dents. Nitrocellulose is an extremely weak type of finish, dents are just kind of inevitable things that happen.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Gets rid of new guitar because it got a chip.
Turns around spends 3x as much on a custom shop "relic":cmon:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

hexwren posted:

I'm not sure what a reasonably-sized power solution would be, as the EM has its own AC cord, and since I'm usually playing in close-up circumstances (several people in chairs in a room) I generally plug the amp into the board as well.
Having big bundles of cable just lying all over the pedalboard is what's making it look untidy. To answer your original question, all the pretty pedalboards out there use velcro to make the attachment method invisible, hide all the power wiring underneath the board, and use custom patch cables so there's no extra loops sticking out. :shrug:

I guess you could bump the EM against the power strip and all the smaller pedals in a big tetris on the left, that would free up some of the empty space. Put the Fluorescence and the Pulsar side by side since they're about as tall, Monarch and Boneshaker horizontally below them, and the Switchblade in the top left corner.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

GreatGreen posted:

Lol what kind of baby sees a small scratch on their instrument and just... decides to throw a tantrum and get rid of it?

If I just gave up on every guitar I scratched, I'd never have gotten off the ground floor with my playing ability. I'd be too busy flipping stuff. A guitar dent is a good thing. It means you're playing your instrument a lot, or that it's out in the open enough to where you can play it whenever you want. That means it's just kinda in a position to get dents. Nitrocellulose is an extremely weak type of finish, dents are just kind of inevitable things that happen.
If that's :thejoke: and you're being sarcastic, then :mmmhmm:. If you're being sincere, then you have no idea of how often peeps do this.

Okay, I think I've spoken a lot about this guitar, so if some of you goons are sick of me talking about it, m'bad, but I literally never get tired of talking about it because it's probably my fave guitar. The one on the left side:

If you notice, on the right side at around the height of the bridge pickup, the guitar has a small ding. According to the guy who got it for me, the guy he bought it from only asked like 350 euros.

350 euros for a guitar that they don't make anymore and that, at a minimum, cost like 2 or 3 times that on the used market. And that's just for the right-handed models. For lefties? Fuhgeddaboudit! I once saw one and when I tried to get home to buy it, it was already sold. So yes, people get try to get rid of their guitars at reduced prices for something as petty as a small-rear end ding.

(Funnily enough, I use the LTD way more nowadays, even after it got all banged-up when some dipshit tried to steal it)

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Oh wow, I actually was being serious. I didn’t know a lot of people sold guitars over a tiny scratch. What a bunch of babies. Haha oh well, just means those guitars go to players with better priorities I guess.

I guess I’ve always believed that how “nice” instruments are is something that comes from utility, not the arbitrarily metric of how perfectly uniform their paint jobs might be. My #1 guitar is a really great PRS Custom 22 I got in the late 90’s which unlike, say, any given Fender, really is a guitar that looks its best when it’s brand new. I love it to death. It’s not banged to hell SRV style, but it’s got a large handful of dents that are quite visible and if I could snap my fingers and remove them, maybe I would because it would look “nicer” but to be honest I don’t mind them, and selling it would never even cross my mind. Each one is a memory and all that crap, but the most relevant thing is that bangs and dents or not, I’ve never played a guitar that fit me more perfectly or felt better in my hands. Like hell I’m going to just decide to throw a tiara and get rid of my favorite guitar in the world just because oh no now it won’t look factory fresh in its glass shadow box in my office where it will sit unplayed forever.

Maybe I should start looking around for dentists selling amazing guitars for 35% of retail because they lightly dinged the back of it on their antique French chair or something, and now it’s “no good.”

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jun 9, 2019

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Ooooo boy I'll take some pictures of my instruments when I get to the practice space, gonna drive those OCD people crazy.

Some I found on my imgur. I'll take some close ups of the scars tonight.

Les Paul being glued back together in a Salt Lake City hotel room after someone pulled it off the stage in Denver the night before, headstock broken completely off.

If I can find a place to hang my bass at the end of the set for feedback, I'll do it. I think this was in Milwaukee? Yes, they will fall occasionally.

Lake Charles LA

Lafayette a couple years later

Cabs also get shredded.

They all start out so nice and clean though.

As you can tell I don't really care what they look like, as long as they function. I can fix any guitar, with the random things you can find in a normal van, and make it play well. Funny story, dude in my friends band showed up the their show, realized he forgot his bass, about an hour away, and they were about to go on. I went to my car and grabbed that that Jag bass, I had literally just bought it about 4 hours before that. I handed it to him, and he said, "Dude, you just bought this, there isn't a scratch on it, I can't play it, I'll ask someone else..." So I grabbed it from him, flipped it over and put a huge scratch down the back with my keys, and handed back to him. He hugged me, and played the hell out of it.

Pokey Araya fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 8, 2019

A Smoke Break
Feb 28, 2009

*snicker*

Pokey Araya posted:

Ooooo boy I'll take some pictures of my instruments when I get to the practice space, gonna drive those OCD people crazy.

Some I found on my imgur. I'll take some close ups of the scars tonight.

Les Paul being glued back together in a Salt Lake City hotel room after someone pulled it off the stage in Denver the night before, headstock broken completely off.

If I can find a place to hang my bass at the end of the set for feedback, I'll do it. I think this was in Milwaukee? Yes, they will fall occasionally.

Lake Charles LA

Lafayette a couple years later

Cabs also get shredded.

They all start out so nice and clean though.

As you can tell I don't really care what they look like, as long as they function. I can fix any guitar, with the random things you can find in a normal van, and make it play well. Funny story, dude in my friends band showed up the their show, realized he forgot his bass, about an hour away, and they were about to go on. I went to my car and grabbed that that Jag bass, I had literally just bought it about 4 hours before that. I handed it to him, and he said, "Dude, you just bought this, there isn't a scratch on it, I can't play it, I'll ask someone else..." So I grabbed it from him, flipped it over and put a huge scratch down the back with my keys, and handed back to him. He hugged me, and played the hell out of it.

Wait, you also live in louisiana?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Pokey Araya posted:

Pokey I have met some incredibly awesomely amazingly great people here and my history is pretty bad if I'm being honest about that.

I now count you among the very best of them and I know it doesn't mean poo poo but at least it's sincere. The world needs more people like you.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
It does mean a lot, than you. I live in Austin Tx, Louisiana is a place I've traveled to frequently over the years. Last day of this tour coming up is in Lafayette on 6/30 at the ol' Freetown Boom Boom Room.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Wark Say posted:

i gotta remember to take advantage of this next time i want a new guitar. also remember the "relic" lines they had years ago where it was like 1k+ for a "preworn" instrument? like i imagined fender cranking out an american strat and then throwing it around the factory to ding it up a bunch and then selling it at a huge markup lol

A Smoke Break
Feb 28, 2009

*snicker*

Pokey Araya posted:

It does mean a lot, than you. I live in Austin Tx, Louisiana is a place I've traveled to frequently over the years. Last day of this tour coming up is in Lafayette on 6/30 at the ol' Freetown Boom Boom Room.

I go to freetown/artmosphere/the district all the drat time actually. I mostly go to gigs in BR/Nola though. But most of my favorite venues in BR closed.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

ASenileAnimal posted:

i gotta remember to take advantage of this next time i want a new guitar. also remember the "relic" lines they had years ago where it was like 1k+ for a "preworn" instrument? like i imagined fender cranking out an american strat and then throwing it around the factory to ding it up a bunch and then selling it at a huge markup lol

Oh they still do that, including on stuff they’re charging 4k+ for

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I've always wanted one of these and a big local producer just put his up for sale. It's fully expanded, eight outs, FX card, CF reader and everything. Time to install 2KXL and watch hours of tutorial videos, also completely redo my I/O configuration.

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Got in a car accident a few weeks back and while waiting for my back to get unfucked decided I need to start playing and working on guitars again so I scrounged this at a swap meet for $40 because pointy thing I can play guitar surgeon on.

No clue on the manufacturer, plywood body, mildew stains on the fretboard and hella sharp fret ends but the neck is straight and the replacement Grovers work fine, the electronics are a complete poo poo show and nothing in the wire rig is working, but "zis is... a good vun." :science::zombie:

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Looks like a neck-through. Is it? If you have skills you could make a player out of that guy. I mean, it's ugly as gently caress, but :)

Hope your back gets better.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Speaking of not earning it: picked up an ooold EMG 81 today for max KVLT points. When chainsawing, accept no substitutions.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Bought it used. There is still plastic film under some of the screws. This stupid thing is pristine.

And it sounds great and plays really nice.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
That thing looks great.

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dr. Faustus posted:

Looks like a neck-through. Is it? If you have skills you could make a player out of that guy. I mean, it's ugly as gently caress, but :)

Hope your back gets better.

Nah it's a cheap bolt-on with a pseudo-stringer paint job, but it'll do for brushing up on my soldering and getting in to fret work. And yeah ugly as gently caress, had a friend tell me through it down a flight of stairs, fix it, then play sludge on it, not a bad plan really.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny Nox posted:

Bought it used. There is still plastic film under some of the screws. This stupid thing is pristine.

And it sounds great and plays really nice.
loving ace!

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Cross-post from the home recording thread. I got tired of my midi keyboard sitting on top of my desk and taking up a fuckton of room. Instead of downsizing the keyboard, I bought some keyboard-drawer/shelf sliders and screwed them into the keyboard itself, and anchored them into my lovely IKEA desk.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

Scarf posted:

Cross-post from the home recording thread. I got tired of my midi keyboard sitting on top of my desk and taking up a fuckton of room. Instead of downsizing the keyboard, I bought some keyboard-drawer/shelf sliders and screwed them into the keyboard itself, and anchored them into my lovely IKEA desk.

Hot drat that looks sweet.

Focusrite spotted!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Wugga posted:

Hot drat that looks sweet.

Focusrite spotted!

Thanks!

I haven't owned many interfaces, but that 6i6 is fantastic and I have had zero issues with it.