Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

occamsnailfile posted:

I haven't read them but what about Ninefox Gambit and successors?

I would say Machinations of Empire is more of that vein than the Ancillary series is, in that intra-military and intra-government hierarchies and power imbalances are a huge deal in throughout the former

whereas in the latter Breq is mostly a free agent doing her own thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

Starting in book 2? 3? they visit China, which is actually ruled by dragons, and the question of draconic rights in Britain starts coming up, but then a horrible plague wipes out all the dragons in Britain thus sidelining the entire question and I don't know what happens after that because I stopped reading.

It stays a c-plot throughout. The series largely becomes just location-hopping while the Napoleonic war mostly sits on the backburner. Turkey! Africa! The fourth book, Victory of Eagles, gets back to the war with an invasion of England that was interesting. But then off to Australia! Japan! South America (which is also fairly ruled by dragons)! Austria! Russia!

For all of the concept of 'the Napoleonic war with dragons' the series spends most of its time not really engaging with it. I have much the same argument with Scott Westerfeld's Leviathans trilogy where dieselpunk meets bio-engineering World War 1 ends up being a lame rear end affair that happens vaguely in the background and ends almost entirely as a footnote.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

hannibal posted:

Wait, are you saying you can't read A-M because you associate them too strongly with Weber? I mean, sure, I can see your Napoleonic Wars reason (they do lean pretty heavily into the Age of Sail setting, hope you like sailing jargon) but - please don't let Weber's nonsense keep you from reading some of the best historical fiction ever written.

Association with Weber is a tertiary at best annoyance, the A-M series setting [Napoleonic Wars era] + nautical naval fiction in general are way-way-way down on my reading preference list.

Thinking about it more, my main dislike with Napoleonic Wars historical fiction is that most of the genre seems to be exclusively long running series about British heroes fighting the French (with the British command structure being just as deadly and possibly worse than the French menace). Ie, the Sharpe series, the HornBlower series, Aubrey–Maturin series, etc:
Is there any goddamn French or Italian or Austrian or Russian viewpoint Napoleonic Wars fiction series out there at all? Anything beyond brief mentions in Dumas's work/ Les Miz/etc, or epic one book efforts like War and Peace?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Well, there's Arthur Conan Doyle's The Exploits and Adventures of Brigadier Gerard, which is a collection of humorous short stories about a French officer. Gerard is a cocky, swaggering rear end in a top hat, a bit like Flashman but nowhere near as much of a coward and creep.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Association with Weber is a tertiary at best annoyance, the A-M series setting [Napoleonic Wars era] + nautical naval fiction in general are way-way-way down on my reading preference list.

Thinking about it more, my main dislike with Napoleonic Wars historical fiction is that most of the genre seems to be exclusively long running series about British heroes fighting the French (with the British command structure being just as deadly and possibly worse than the French menace). Ie, the Sharpe series, the HornBlower series, Aubrey–Maturin series, etc:
Is there any goddamn French or Italian or Austrian or Russian viewpoint Napoleonic Wars fiction series out there at all? Anything beyond brief mentions in Dumas's work/ Les Miz/etc, or epic one book efforts like War and Peace?

You just found your meal ticket to being a niche historical fiction author.

I wouldn't be shocked if there was some, just they are in French/Russian/German/Italian and have never had an English translation.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

There was a series with the main character Alain lusard or similar I read maybe 20 years ago? I remember it being like Sharpe but french and not that good.

##edit

https://www.goodreads.com/series/143526-alain-lausard-adventures

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

B-bu-but. Why would you want to read about the bad guys POV? :colbert: :britain:

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Django Wexler's The Thousand Names series is basically a fantasy French Revolution and then Napoleonic Wars series if you're interested in that.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Jack2142 posted:

I wouldn't be shocked if there was some, just they are in French/Russian/German/Italian and have never had an English translation.

There are, since glorifying your country never gets old.
The prevalence of English/US authors in MilSF/history is simply an effect of the impact English have had on the world in popular science.
I am pretty tired of WW2, not to mention the American Civil War, which is rather uninteresting from a non-US perspective (come again when you have had more and longer ones).

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Selachian posted:

Well, there's Arthur Conan Doyle's The Exploits and Adventures of Brigadier Gerard, which is a collection of humorous short stories about a French officer. Gerard is a cocky, swaggering rear end in a top hat, a bit like Flashman but nowhere near as much of a coward and creep.

These are lot of fun. There's a fair bit in them that you'll have seen crop up in later works, but you don't often get pulpy Napoleonic swashbucklers from the perspective of the French so the stories still feel fresh enough.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I just wanted a happy fluffy book about humans and spiders meeting octopodes. I'm halfway through Children of Ruin now, though, and I was not really prepared for blood music? adventures.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
This thread is literally the only place anyone would remember this: I thought of that random online reviewer who described Baru Cormorant as "social justice Middle-Earth" in the shower this morning and started chuckling, which then led me to remember the other one who said "the book takes place in a parallel universe where women are better at math than men" which had me full-on guffawing.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Gluten Freeman posted:

Django Wexler's The Thousand Names series is basically a fantasy French Revolution and then Napoleonic Wars series if you're interested in that.

I'm reading this now, its better than I expected at least through the first two books.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Fried Sushi posted:

I'm reading this now, its better than I expected at least through the first two books.
Yeah, that's before he started stuffing the books with horribly written romance.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Mil-scifi, about the only troop-perspective series I ever got along with was Kloos’ Frontlines books, and I’m still only three books into it. They turn up on the cheap kindle lists pretty regular if you wanted to give them a look-over.

I was unfortunate enough to pick up a couple of Ringo’s Posleen paperback books ages back at a 2nd hand market and frankly lmao :o:

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

This might sound like I'm trolling but I'm honestly not: What book or series most feels like it should be scored with a power/symphonic metal soundtrack? I'm looking for something big, epic, and it's okay for it to be a little over the top. I assume, given the lyrical leanings of a lot of power metal, I should be looking at sword & sorcery type stuff, but I've never really dipped my toe into the subgenre.

edit: honestly I'd go for anything with sci-fi leanings or straight up sci-fi if it fits, too.

MockingQuantum fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 11, 2019

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

the Silmarillion of course but Blind Guardian got ya covered already. Slough Feg has a kickass heavy metal album about the sci fi RPG Traveller. theres a band called Tygers of Pan Tang named after Elric that's pretty good.

Sword n sorcery to me is more grungy, less power metal more black or doom metal. Fafhrd, Conan, Jirel, etc are too grimy for epic power metal.

So probably just epic fantasy in the tradition of Lord of the Rings. Wheel of Time, Shannara, Dragonlance, Tad Williams and the like.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Given Michael Moorcock's association with Hawkwind (including their album The Chronicle of the Black Sword), the Elric books are an obvious choice. The Erekose books (particularly The Eternal Champion and The Silver Warriors) would be pretty good too.

Moorcock also "contributed" to two books about the cosmic adventures of Hawkwind in their on-stage personas by Michael Butterworth, The Time of the Hawklords and Queens of Deliria. It's not really clear how much writing Moorcock actually did for these books and how much was just an excuse to slap his name on the cover. They're mostly interesting as curiosities rather than actual books.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jun 11, 2019

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah, that's before he started stuffing the books with horribly written romance.

Well that sucks but I am getting used to author's writing more books than they have story for, finally got over my need to finish every series or book I start so as soon as I start losing interest I just drop it now.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

MockingQuantum posted:

This might sound like I'm trolling but I'm honestly not: What book or series most feels like it should be scored with a power/symphonic metal soundtrack? I'm looking for something big, epic, and it's okay for it to be a little over the top. I assume, given the lyrical leanings of a lot of power metal, I should be looking at sword & sorcery type stuff, but I've never really dipped my toe into the subgenre.

edit: honestly I'd go for anything with sci-fi leanings or straight up sci-fi if it fits, too.

Karl Edward Wagner's Kane series. Written in the 1970's mostly, it's basically "What if one of those epic evil sorcerors Conan always fights . . was the protagonist?" the series.

Each story is excellent and stacks up well against Robert E. Howard better than most other imitators do. Each story has the same basic plot -- Kane conceives dastardly plan, hatches it, executes, it works, he almost achieves World Domination but ends up scorpion-stabbing himself in the back through an inability to stop being evil for a hot second.

Overall they're great and imho better than most of Moorcock's stuff -- much more Howard-esque, more about the raw id unleashed on the page, and a lot less emo.

Unfortunately they're largely out of print and difficult to find legal, affordable copies of.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Mil-scifi, about the only troop-perspective series I ever got along with was Kloos’ Frontlines books, and I’m still only three books into it. They turn up on the cheap kindle lists pretty regular if you wanted to give them a look-over.

I was unfortunate enough to pick up a couple of Ringo’s Posleen paperback books ages back at a 2nd hand market and frankly lmao :o:

You need to read Harry Harrison's Bill the Galactic Hero ASAP...just the first book though, not any of the sequels (each Bill series sequel book parodied a different fantasy, milscifi, tv and movie series).
Long before Kloos wrote his Frontline books, Harry Harrison's Bill the Galactic Hero @1965 hit many of the same notes.
The first Bill the Galactic Hero book is one of the most perfect enlisted-troop perspective "bootcamp + military training, nobody in power (especially officers + senior NCOs) gives a gently caress about the enlisted ranks, gently caress the military-industrial complex, gently caress forever-wars" anti-war MilSciFi book I've ever come across.

My undying appreciation of the first Bill book [irony] was in no way enhanced by stumbling across it with the most "gently caress everything*" book-cover in a used bookstore in Amsterdam, Netherlands the week after my contract with the marines ended[/irony].

*aka the Penguin paperback reprint book-cover

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jun 11, 2019

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Karl Edward Wagner's Kane series.

Unfortunately they're largely out of print and difficult to find legal, affordable copies of.

You can buy all of them on Kindle.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Karl Edward Wagner's Kane series. Written in the 1970's mostly, it's basically "What if one of those epic evil sorcerors Conan always fights . . was the protagonist?" the series.

Each story is excellent and stacks up well against Robert E. Howard better than most other imitators do. Each story has the same basic plot -- Kane conceives dastardly plan, hatches it, executes, it works, he almost achieves World Domination but ends up scorpion-stabbing himself in the back through an inability to stop being evil for a hot second.

Overall they're great and imho better than most of Moorcock's stuff -- much more Howard-esque, more about the raw id unleashed on the page, and a lot less emo.

I'll see what I can do-- I'm finding the same problem with the Elric books, honestly. There are some collections out there that aren't too badly priced, and I've got the first book in the classic 1977 weirdly pale pastel art, but it's bizarre to see that same book going for minimum $20 on Amazon.

fake edit: well nevermind, I would rather get the books on Kindle anyway, so Wagner won't be a problem. I wish the Elric books were easier to find on Kindle...

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

pseudanonymous posted:

It's also an organization that exists mostly to explore and do science poo poo. If you combined Nasa and the Navy, then swapped their budgets, you get Star Fleet.

I always liked how this makes force projection an exercise in sciencing the poo poo out of the objective.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

I recently started the Kane books and they are fantastic if you enjoy that style. But holy man does he love his exclamation marks in the first book. It's all very, I dunno, earnest, in a way his later horror stuff very much is not. I'm not sure yet (having not read the rest of the series) if that's because of his development as a writer, or because he felt free to just go wild with Kane in a way he rightfully denied himself for his more subtle horror work.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ornamented Death posted:

You can buy all of them on Kindle.

Oh wow that's new (and great). Five or ten years ago it was either piracy or shell out $100 for a collectible.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

anilEhilated posted:

I think this was the first time(and only) I was actively hoping at every moment starting somewhere in the 3rd book that the author would fridge a character, jesus christ, if they ever got better let me know because I liked those books at some point.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

occamsnailfile posted:

Starfleet is absolutely a space military, just pretty well-run (except when plot demands it not be) and that treats its personnel with respect and care, down to the lowest ensign. In other words, complete science fiction.

But yeah I wouldn't classify it as Mil-SF for any number of reasons.

Same with Ancillary, there is a space military and even a war going on, but those are not the point of the series.

I haven't read them but what about Ninefox Gambit and successors?

About half of the first Ninefox book is military SF stuff about capturing a space fortress, the rest of the series is more space opera themed.

Another example I can think of is the Spiral Wars series, it's technically milSF since almost every character is part of the crew of a space battleship, but they mutinied after the war ended and have mostly spent more time running from their government, investigating ancient ruins, and dealing with alien politics in a more typical space opera plot. I feel it strikes a good balance between action and adventure though I am somewhat biased towards the series.

MockingQuantum posted:

David Gemmell's Legend felt pretty 80s power metal when I read it.

Patrick Rothfus would totally be some symphonic metal group that's way too full of themselves, Nightwish or something. :laffo:

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

C.M. Kruger posted:

About half of the first Ninefox book is military SF stuff about capturing a space fortress, the rest of the series is more space opera themed.

Another example I can think of is the Spiral Wars series, it's technically milSF since almost every character is part of the crew of a space battleship, but they mutinied after the war ended and have mostly spent more time running from their government, investigating ancient ruins, and dealing with alien politics in a more typical space opera plot. I feel it strikes a good balance between action and adventure though I am somewhat biased towards the series.

David Gemmell's Legend felt pretty 80s power metal when I read it.

Patrick Rothfus would totally be some symphonic metal group that's way too full of themselves, Nightwish or something. :laffo:

I really wanted to like Legend, and it had its moments, but it didn't really do it for me overall. I'm not sure why, usually I'm all-in when it comes to cheesy last-stand hero fantasy kind of stuff.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

C.M. Kruger posted:

Now I'm wondering what Lies of Locke Lamora would be as a musical. Some sort of baroque gothic prog?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Kesper North posted:

I always liked how this makes force projection an exercise in sciencing the poo poo out of the objective.

Right down to their institutional tunnel vision where they spend precious minutes looking up details of some obsolete Bird of Prey's plasma coil so they can do science instead of just shooting it. "The phasers never solve the problem, we always have to come up with some kind of :techno:"

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Now I'm wondering what Lies of Locke Lamora would be as a musical. Some sort of baroque gothic prog?

Savatage immediately jumps to mind.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Amon Amarth has anything Viking inspired nailed down.
Also LotR have inspired too many metal bands. There is Amon amarth, Corinth Ungol and five other I can’t remember now.
Turns out metal fans are massive sci-fi/fantasy nerds.

IYKK
Mar 13, 2006

MockingQuantum posted:

I'll see what I can do-- I'm finding the same problem with the Elric books, honestly. There are some collections out there that aren't too badly priced, and I've got the first book in the classic 1977 weirdly pale pastel art, but it's bizarre to see that same book going for minimum $20 on Amazon.

fake edit: well nevermind, I would rather get the books on Kindle anyway, so Wagner won't be a problem. I wish the Elric books were easier to find on Kindle...

The Elric stories, and most of Moorcocks other sf/fantasy works, were recently collected and re-released by Gollancz. Kindle editions should be available. Here is what they look like.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

MockingQuantum posted:

This might sound like I'm trolling but I'm honestly not: What book or series most feels like it should be scored with a power/symphonic metal soundtrack?

lord of light!!!

amber is pretty metal too, but Lord of Light is prob the most metal zelazny

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

IYKK posted:

The Elric stories, and most of Moorcocks other sf/fantasy works, were recently collected and re-released by Gollancz. Kindle editions should be available. Here is what they look like.

It looks like the kindle editions aren't available in the US, at least. I'm finding the paperbacks (which are sanely priced) but no ebooks.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Deptfordx posted:

B-bu-but. Why would you want to read about the bad guys POV? :colbert: :britain:

...you might want to look up the battle of Austerlitz...

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Cardiac posted:

Amon Amarth has anything Viking inspired nailed down.
Also LotR have inspired too many metal bands. There is Amon amarth, Corinth Ungol and five other I can’t remember now.
Turns out metal fans are massive sci-fi/fantasy nerds.

Hah, those bands just took their names and maybe a few song ideas here and there from Tolkien. Summoning on the other hand have devoted pretty much their whole twenty-plus-year discography to Middle Earth and nothing but Middle Earth. (And then there's Caladan Brood which is all about the Malazan Books of the Fallen.)

And The Lord Weird Slough Feg released a whole concept album based on the old Traveller RPG. If that's not a perfect singularity of nerddom I don't know what is.

IYKK
Mar 13, 2006

MockingQuantum posted:

It looks like the kindle editions aren't available in the US, at least. I'm finding the paperbacks (which are sanely priced) but no ebooks.

I forgot about regional restrictions, sorry. I can see them from Europe. I got some of the non Elric-paperbacks from the series, and except for the cover art being confined to a small circle there is nothing to complain about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I feel the Malazan series might work quite well with that sort of thing. Or maybe prog-rock.