Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut

cakesmith handyman posted:

I need to buy some decent forstner bits but the sticker shock gets me every time so I resharpen my crappy ones and swear at them instead.

Was eyeing a few options and don't use them enough for sharpening to deter me, what brand do you have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Sharpening Forstner bits is so easy and replacements are so expensive. The reward:effort is off the scale.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Bob Mundon posted:

Was eyeing a few options and don't use them enough for sharpening to deter me, what brand do you have?

I’m in the same boat: baby’s first Forstner set, what’s good for a bad beginner woodworker like me?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I have these: https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/cmtsetof16forstnerbits.aspx Made in China but so far, so good. My old boss had a huge set of Fisch ones that were 30 years old and they were really sweet, but $$$$ new. They are by far the easiest drill bit to sharpen, and sharpening makes a big difference.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I got this Freud set a few months ago, and so far so good.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I've got the PC set before this one, in a wood box.
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B004TSZEB4/

And yes, spades for punching holes in studs for plumbing/electrical. Nothing precise or neat.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
I got the set from Woodcraft in the wooden case on black Friday a couple years ago; they've worked fine for me

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

What's the overall opinion on Ryobi products? Looking at reddit, people say they're a good deal for basic DIY/Homeowner stuff (and that's pretty much the limit of what I'd use them for), and so I'm thinking of jumping into that ecosystem.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

sharkytm posted:

I've got the PC set before this one, in a wood box.
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B004TSZEB4/

And yes, spades for punching holes in studs for plumbing/electrical. Nothing precise or neat.

Just snagged this set, thanks for the recommendations!

Edit:

JerikTelorian posted:

What's the overall opinion on Ryobi products? Looking at reddit, people say they're a good deal for basic DIY/Homeowner stuff (and that's pretty much the limit of what I'd use them for), and so I'm thinking of jumping into that ecosystem.

Ryobi stuff is fine. I have their garden tools (including the 40v electric lawnmower and weed-whacker) and a few other basic tools, and their build quality is decent enough if you’re just doing basic stuff around the house.

When you get into bigger $$$ tools you’re buying uptime, lightness and/or service capabilities. You get a Hilti drill because it’s supposed to last forever and be lighter for all-day use. If you’re only drilling a hole or two every so often, save your money and get the Ryobi.

funeral home DJ fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jun 12, 2019

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

JerikTelorian posted:

Ryobi sounds perfect for your uses, have fun!

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Awesome, thanks for the input.

Ripoff posted:

Ryobi stuff is fine. I have their garden tools (including the 40v electric lawnmower and weed-whacker) and a few other basic tools, and their build quality is decent enough if you’re just doing basic stuff around the house.

How do you like the weed-whacker? What's the uptime like? I need to start trimming at my new place, but there's no good outlet access and lots of hedges and stuff that would make it a pain to run a wire. I'd also love to skip mixing two stage fuel.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

JerikTelorian posted:

How do you like the weed-whacker? What's the uptime like? I need to start trimming at my new place, but there's no good outlet access and lots of hedges and stuff that would make it a pain to run a wire. I'd also love to skip mixing two stage fuel.

I have the 40V weed wacker. On a full charge I get about 2 full whackings of my yard, which takes me about 20 minutes. If I'm out of batteries, I'll pop the thing in the charger and by the time I'm done mowing I usually have 3/4 of a full charg (~45 minutes or so)

I replaced the head of mine with something similar to this:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rino-Tuff-Pivotrim-Universal-Trimmer-Head-17093/206470721
(mine has 4). It's way better than the bump feed. Also get the straight shaft one, not the one with the curve. Apparently they last longer.

I also have the chainsaw and for a battery operated chainsaw and me not having forests worth of trees to cut, it does an awesome job. I'm considering getting the blower for post-mowing cleanup just because it's such a pain in the rear end to drag out the extension cords.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jun 12, 2019

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

AFewBricksShy posted:

I also have the chainsaw and for a battery operated chainsaw and me not having forests worth of trees to cut, it does an awesome job. I'm considering getting the blower for post-mowing cleanup just because it's such a pain in the rear end to drag out the extension cords.

Do it. My situation is similar to you and having a chainsaw/trimmer/blower all sharing the same batteries is a thing of beauty. I use my blower the most out of the three.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

JerikTelorian posted:

My yard is a postage stamp in a suburb of a city (.26 acres) so I can actually cut the front yard and weed-whack on the same charge. As for the power, it exists in this area between a plug-in trimmer and a “prosumer” gas-powered unit, and it’s never complained about any of the tall grasses or weeds I’ve chucked at it. It’s well balanced with the battery installed and is about as heavy as the old consumer-grade 2-stroke gas powered trimmers I’ve used. As AFewBricksShy mentioned, the automatic feed is serviceable but I’d get a beefier head and/or line if I was trying to chew up ivy or whatnot.

FWIW, the 40v trimmer is my favorite tool of the Ryobi bunch because it really does quite well for the price.

Edit: I got a refurbished “jet fan” blower and it’s amazing for clearing the gutters and moving dry leaves out of a driveway or carport, but it lacks the hit for leaves on grass in my opinion. Blowers still have a ways to come as far as battery powered units.

funeral home DJ fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jun 12, 2019

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Ripoff posted:

FWIW, the 40v trimmer is my favorite tool of the Ryobi bunch because it really does quite well for the price.

Edit: I got a refurbished “jet fan” blower and it’s amazing for clearing the gutters and moving dry leaves out of a driveway or carport, but it lacks the hit for leaves on grass in my opinion. Blowers still have a ways to come as far as battery powered units.
I have a plug in blower for leaves, the cordless would just be for grass clippings on the sidewalk and street.

I forgot the other awesome part of the trimmer. If you have a sidewalk that you want to edge, you can get this attachment:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-Expand-It-8-in-Universal-Straight-Shaft-Edger-Attachment-RYEDG12/207209914
Which does a loving awesome job (although that will chew through batteries, it usually takes me 2 full charges to finish my driveway and my sidewalk).

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jun 12, 2019

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

JerikTelorian posted:

18v weed whacker is fine for my property- maybe 20 minutes and I've never run a battery down. I got their 18v pole saw also when I was taking down a massive Bradford pear, and gave my corded homelite to my buddy for helping. The pole saw is a foot longer, but lacking oomph for 6-8" branches, obv compared to corded. I may use it once every several years, however.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Random Ryobi endorsement, some of their new 18v yard stuff is really impressive. I picked up the new brushless 12" chainsaw with a 4ah battery when it was on sale for $149 online and it's great. The only time it struggles is with ripping lengthwise, the slower chain speed causes it to chatter a lot. But for pruning and sectioning up smaller logs it's great. It even cut up a ~20" diameter tree that fell over in my friend's yard.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
If you do decide to get Ryobi tools remember they offer brushed and brushless versions of most stuff. The brushless versions cost more but are going to be more comparable to higher end tools like Milwaukee's as far as power, run time and reliability is concerned while still being cheaper than them. For some things like driver's it's debatable whether it matters for basic home owner stuff but for saws, for instance, it makes a huge difference.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Dog Case posted:

Random Ryobi endorsement, some of their new 18v yard stuff is really impressive. I picked up the new brushless 12" chainsaw with a 4ah battery when it was on sale for $149 online and it's great. The only time it struggles is with ripping lengthwise, the slower chain speed causes it to chatter a lot. But for pruning and sectioning up smaller logs it's great. It even cut up a ~20" diameter tree that fell over in my friend's yard.

That’s giving me flashbacks to the day I had to cut up a similar sized tree that fell across my driveway with the old 10 inch Ryobi chainsaw. Let me tell you it took a long time since I only had one charger and 2 batteries and this was before they even had the 4ah ones.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

JEEVES420 posted:

And the nail gun sparks from the "firing pin" hitting the nail head. Its normal and will happen less the more you use it.

Why would it happen less the more you use it?

I've only seen my framing nailer spark (which definitely surprised me the first time, too). Haven't seen any of the smaller nailers spark. I have definitely seen that poo poo come out sideways, though. The xmas tree shelf I built, one of the pine cleats must have been like 99% knot, because literally every single nail I fired into it came out sideways (or even horseshoe shaped back at me!) I decided to use more glue and clamp that one... ;)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Why would it happen less the more you use it?

The parts wear in. "Self clearanceing"

Basically when you have sharp edges they are more likely to come off hot. Things get rounded off and that's not so much a thing anymore, at least on the tool end.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I'm digging my 18 volt Ryobi trimmer/edger. It even puts the hurt on Japanese knotweed. Takes a couple 3.0ah or 4.0ah batteries to do all our trimming but we have a lot of boulders, retaining walls, herb pots, and other features to trim around. Initially thought the low speed switch was a joke but it helps save battery around bits that are being better kept up with.

And my wife likes the auto-feed so she doesn't have to put any thought into a bump.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Why are there no deals on the M12 Hackzall?

I’ve been loving up some trees lately with a full‐size Sawzall.

I gained some forearm strength and didn’t lose any fingers while one‐handing the thing, but I would have loved to have the Hackzall.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Platystemon posted:

Why are there no deals on the M12 Hackzall?

I’ve been loving up some trees lately with a full‐size Sawzall.

I gained some forearm strength and didn’t lose any fingers while one‐handing the thing, but I would have loved to have the Hackzall.

It was $89 with a battery last weekend (expired):
https://slickdeals.net/f/13137895-m...earchBarV2Algo1

Currently the only deal on it I see is with the Hackzall, 3/8" ratchet and one battery for $179:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...UklUsVwXNzdg200

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The first deal was for the brushed model, I think, so I wasn’t missing much.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
Jaded Burnout, I'm so sorry you went through this poo poo with loving fluid fittings. Nothing is ever loving right, and even things that should be standard loving aren't! Holy poo poo, I'm so loving angry about fittings so I WILL POST RIGHT GODDAMNED NOW.

I'm starting up a startup and we're doing industrial plasma equipment. Typically this poo poo is expensive as gently caress new, but ebay typically has poo poo that is pennies on the dollar for things that I can refurb or rebuild. I'm talking $100K of vacuum pumps for $2K including rebuild kits, $50K in gas delivery equipment for $500, just need to know what you're doing, and I typically do. EXCEPT. loving. FITTINGS. LET'S loving REVIEW!

- I have a turbomolecular pump that has a water cooling hookup, and the manual says the thread is a R 1/4. I confirmed this with the loving apps engineer. That usually means it's a BSPT thread, so I go ahead and order both a R 1/4, G 1/4 and a BSPT 1/4. NONE loving FIT. Better, the female thread on the loving pump is loving tapered, which means it's a Rc 1/4 which should STILL fit with a BSPT 1/4! THE gently caress!
- I have another turbomolecular pump which supposedly has a 1/4 BSPP (?! the gently caress, british) thread for the air vent fitting. This should accept a 1/4 BSPP with a seal washer, or a 1/4 BSPT with threadlock. NEITHER FIT. Some loving gremlin metric fitting I had kicking around with a copious amount of vacuum dope sealed it, but what in the gently caress. THE gently caress!
- I am running a custom mix of argon/H2 in 300 cubic foot bottles. Cool, that's a CGA-350 fitting, excellent. Cool, I can buy a Swagelok with appropriate regulation, and it says it's all NPT thread according to the datasheet!!!! .... what in the gently caress, why is this not... the gently caress, it's loving BSPT?!
- Let's talk about loving flare fittings for a second. Oh hey, here's a part that says it's a 45 degree flare, except it DOESN'T loving MATE with a 45 but kind of does with a 37! Here's a hose that is billed as JIS, but DOESN'T loving FIT JIS, SAE, OR AN! WHAT KIND OF FITTING IS THIS? gently caress IT, HERE'S SOME PIPE DOPE AND A WRENCH, YOU'RE NOW A loving NPT.
- 1/8" Swagelok tube fitting? cool, coo... wait, what in the jesus gently caress, it's somehow a metric loving tube?! gently caress this, i'm done.

Don't even get me started with vacuum flanges. KF/NW are typically not horrific, but then you get conflat, the standard that isn't, and you get to try to metal seal between a loving MDC and a Lesker/Nor-Cal knife edge (hint: you can't, just go get a kalrez o-ring 9 times in 10), or LF/ISO where muppets decide that the threads should be imperial on a loving metric standard, or just the loving horror that is ASA flanges.

The only fitting worth even half a poo poo is VCR. Next time someone asks me about c-seals or VCOs I'm going to commit seppuku with a goddamned pipe wrench.

Tim Thomas fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jun 14, 2019

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
OH HEY, 5/16 TUBING FITTINGS ARE 8MM AND 8MM FITTINGS ARE 5/16 FROM THE SMC PNEUMATICS FACTORY YET THE 8MM TUBE FROM GRAINGER ONLY FITS THE 5/16 FITTING AND THE 5/16 TUBING ONLY FITS THE 8MM FITTING

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Tim Thomas posted:

Jaded Burnout, I'm so sorry you went through this poo poo with loving fluid fittings. Nothing is ever loving right, and even things that should be standard loving aren't! Holy poo poo, I'm so loving angry about fittings so I WILL POST RIGHT GODDAMNED NOW.

I'm starting up a startup and we're doing industrial plasma equipment. Typically this poo poo is expensive as gently caress new, but ebay typically has poo poo that is pennies on the dollar for things that I can refurb or rebuild. I'm talking $100K of vacuum pumps for $2K including rebuild kits, $50K in gas delivery equipment for $500, just need to know what you're doing, and I typically do. EXCEPT. loving. FITTINGS. LET'S loving REVIEW!

- I have a turbomolecular pump that has a water cooling hookup, and the manual says the thread is a R 1/4. I confirmed this with the loving apps engineer. That usually means it's a BSPT thread, so I go ahead and order both a R 1/4, G 1/4 and a BSPT 1/4. NONE loving FIT. Better, the female thread on the loving pump is loving tapered, which means it's a Rc 1/4 which should STILL fit with a BSPT 1/4! THE gently caress!

The only fitting worth even half a poo poo is VCR. Next time someone asks me about c-seals or VCOs I'm going to commit seppuku with a goddamned pipe wrench.

I think at this point your best bet would be to literally get a royal sampler platter of literally every possible kind of fitting made in all the sizes that you generally see on these. Get a little box of test fittings, go down the list, then once you find the one that fits best, order that specific one and be mad that the datasheet was wrong, again, because of course it was. I do want a magnetic bearing turbomolecular pump for high vacuum fuckaround projects, but my ebay-fu is weak, and frankly I don't wanna gamble on one that says 'pulled working' and in reality was pulled from a dumpster after it puked a rotor vane out the exhaust.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Tim Thomas posted:

gently caress this, i'm done.

I've not had to deal with the level of fuckery you have but you have my whole hearted sympathy. In my more limited experience things that don't fit what they're supposed to new are either really badly machined or if used, have been made to almost seal with the wrong fitting and far too much force by the previous idiot.

Bob Mundon posted:

lovely Aldi ones, even after sharpening they're garbage. Lesson learned except I still haven't bought better ones and I need them on every other project. Any UK suggestions for not bankruptcy-expensive forstner bits?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

cakesmith handyman posted:

lovely Aldi ones, even after sharpening they're garbage. Lesson learned except I still haven't bought better ones and I need them on every other project. Any UK suggestions for not bankruptcy-expensive forstner bits?

I bought these but they're definitely bargain basement, I've not used them yet.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B072XJ5NG3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Tim Thomas posted:

- I have another turbomolecular pump which supposedly has a 1/4 BSPP (?! the gently caress, british) thread for the air vent fitting. This should accept a 1/4 BSPP with a seal washer, or a 1/4 BSPT with threadlock. NEITHER FIT. Some loving gremlin metric fitting I had kicking around with a copious amount of vacuum dope sealed it, but what in the gently caress. THE gently caress!
- I am running a custom mix of argon/H2 in 300 cubic foot bottles. Cool, that's a CGA-350 fitting, excellent. Cool, I can buy a Swagelok with appropriate regulation, and it says it's all NPT thread according to the datasheet!!!! .... what in the gently caress, why is this not... the gently caress, it's loving BSPT?!
- Let's talk about loving flare fittings for a second. Oh hey, here's a part that says it's a 45 degree flare, except it DOESN'T loving MATE with a 45 but kind of does with a 37! Here's a hose that is billed as JIS, but DOESN'T loving FIT JIS, SAE, OR AN! WHAT KIND OF FITTING IS THIS? gently caress IT, HERE'S SOME PIPE DOPE AND A WRENCH, YOU'RE NOW A loving NPT.
- 1/8" Swagelok tube fitting? cool, coo... wait, what in the jesus gently caress, it's somehow a metric loving tube?! gently caress this, i'm done.

Don't even get me started with vacuum flanges. KF/NW are typically not horrific, but then you get conflat, the standard that isn't, and you get to try to metal seal between a loving MDC and a Lesker/Nor-Cal knife edge (hint: you can't, just go get a kalrez o-ring 9 times in 10), or LF/ISO where muppets decide that the threads should be imperial on a loving metric standard, or just the loving horror that is ASA flanges.

I love everything about this post, but please do not commit seppuku, forums poster Tim the tool fittings man Thomas.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

I got talked into fisch wavecutter bits by this video. Pricey, but I appreciate a good hole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeBFcCTXZkA

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Platystemon posted:

The first deal was for the brushed model, I think, so I wasn’t missing much.

HD is running a promo for "Buy 12v Fuel Hackzall, get one free additonal tool or battery". You can return the free tool for a specified value on the receipt and keep the Hackzall. Should being the price down to $110-130 depending on the free tool.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

FCKGW posted:

HD is running a promo for "Buy 12v Fuel Hackzall, get one free additonal tool or battery". You can return the free tool for a specified value on the receipt and keep the Hackzall. Should being the price down to $110-130 depending on the free tool.

So the new deals on it now are, in decreasing order of “value” (to whatever extent that’s reflected in returns):

w/ brushed ratchet

w/ six‐amp‐hour battery

w/ that weird multi‐tool that anyone only ever uses to cut holes for outlets

w/ right angle drill

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person

That picture could be misunderstood (?) by some. Do not buy a saw like this for cutting trees like this.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Rnr posted:

That picture could be misunderstood (?) by some. Do not buy a saw like this for cutting trees like this.

Oh yeah, buy a real gas saw if you need to deal with something like that on a regular basis, but it can do it if it's all you've got.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I'm not a chainsaw expert, but I believe the issue is less to do with the saw's power and more to do with the size of the bar/chain. You don't want to be cutting with the tip of a chainsaw blade, because it greatly increases the chance of the blade deciding it'd rather work on your body than on the tree.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'm not a chainsaw expert, but I believe the issue is less to do with the saw's power and more to do with the size of the bar/chain. You don't want to be cutting with the tip of a chainsaw blade, because it greatly increases the chance of the blade deciding it'd rather work on your body . on the tree.

You're kinda close on the bar length and tip... You can cut a tree down twice the size of your bar and you can do boring or plunge cuts with the tip but these arent basic actions.

If you dont know what those you shouldn't be loving around with them for sure. What's most likely to happen with someone bucking up bigger logs with a small saw is they create a weird bind and are SOL and now have an art sculpture in their yard

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

You're kinda close on the bar length and tip... You can cut a tree down twice the size of your bar and you can do boring or plunge cuts with the tip but these arent basic actions.

If you dont know what those you shouldn't be loving around with them for sure. What's most likely to happen with someone bucking up bigger logs with a small saw is they create a weird bind and are SOL and now have an art sculpture in their yard
I don't know why every chainsaw doesn't ship with like 5 big plastic wedges. When I discovered wedges, everything because easy.

I saw some west coast logger on instagram that cuts down 40+" sugar pines all the time and he pushes them all over with a few whacks on a wedge and it's amazing to me.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I don't know why every chainsaw doesn't ship with like 5 big plastic wedges. When I discovered wedges, everything because easy.

I saw some west coast logger on instagram that cuts down 40+" sugar pines all the time and he pushes them all over with a few whacks on a wedge and it's amazing to me.

Oh yea, easy baby. It's amazing when you do it clean and it goes over like that and you see the perfect humbolt because you're feeling like hotshit. You barely touch them and it just goes so easy. Then you try and swing trees against their lean and it sits on you and you have to take the power head off and get cut out and everyone hates you because that's a really bad look. Oh God fire flashbacks D: What's the Instagram I want to see some saw porn