Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Prac Guide HOLY poo poo! I did not see that coming! But the groundwork was clearly laid earlier.
Yeah, and naturally it's deliberately ambiguous as to exactly who or what Saint is swinging her blade at. Tariq? Cat? Archer? The crown? Who knows!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sax Battler
Jul 31, 2007

Another bloody customs post,
Another fucking foreign coast,
Another set of scars to boast,
We Are The Road Crew.

Lot 49 posted:

She has already stopped Alexandria. Tagg is just a dude with no powers in a room with a person he is almost helpless against. She takes his gun off him instantly and could incapacitate him just as easily, she does it to countless other characters. Instead she bites and stings him to death while acknowledging that this is nothing more than 'revenge'. It's one of the very few times in the story where Taylor admits her extreme violence is for a personal reason and doesn't try to hide behind greater good arguments so I am a bit surprised you are so defensive of her actions tbh.

All her plans and sacrifices are looking like they've gone to poo poo, her personal hero has just murdered all her friends, and a guy who's in on it and who's made it clear he will never, ever, back down has just drawn a gun with the likely intent to kill her. They have a building full of people with superpowers just outside the door, waiting to take her down.

I'd say this is one of the more understandable things she does.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
PracGuide - I mean given the chapter title exactly parallels the last discussion around a superweapon in the same city...

Also interestingly is how Saint is actually mirroring Black's opinion from back then. Sorta - getting there in a different process.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jun 14, 2019

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

At this point, each new chapter of TWI is basically novella sized. 6.23 was twenty eight thousand words. That doesn't seem...good, in terms of either storytelling, or the impact on the author.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Sax Battler posted:

All her plans and sacrifices are looking like they've gone to poo poo, her personal hero has just murdered all her friends, and a guy who's in on it and who's made it clear he will never, ever, back down has just drawn a gun with the likely intent to kill her. They have a building full of people with superpowers just outside the door, waiting to take her down.

I'd say this is one of the more understandable things she does.

Yeah I'd go farther and say that wildbow intentionally went out of his way and wrote the scene in such a way that it's really really hard to fault Taylor for her actions, as a reader. She's the lone bug girl who finds out that NotSuperman is actually a huge bully and is forced to suffer in silence up until the point where NotSuperman is literally murdering all her friends. It's all very David and Goliath. When Taylor kills Alexandria and Tagg I'm pretty sure the reader is supposed to feel ecstatic about it - the big bullies finally getting their due, turnabout is fair play, an eye for an eye and all that jazz. From a robot's perspective, all beep boops and one and zeros and "what is this hu-man thing called 'love'" she might be in the "wrong" morally but from a storytelling perspective I'm pretty sure that she is clearly and unambiguously in the right. It's written so that Alexandria and Tagg are the bad guys in the scene and what happens to them is their righteous comeuppance. It's like when The Punisher finishes off the guy who killed his whole family - or, you know, any of a million other similar examples in fiction where the hero kills off the villain in a fit of righteous fury - obviously it's not exactly an unambiguous moral good... but it's also definitely not exactly a bad either, in the context of the story.

At least that was my takeaway from the whole encounter.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Sunken Fleet is right.

Consider also that the school scene in one of the early arcs, where Danny and Taylor go to meet the Principal or whatever, is basically a dress rehearsal for it - and Taylor went through that about a split second away from doing something bad. So, she goes back into that situation, and it's even worse, and she actually does snap. But luckily Alexandria and Tagg are pretty deserving of being bug-murdered in contrast to people at the school. I feel it'd work better if Tagg and Alexandria weren't being so cartoonish ("If we pretend to kill her friends, surely this girl who keeps making things worse when cornered will break!" Doesn't Alexandria have perfect recollection?) but, either way, it's a neat little story echo.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cicero posted:

At this point, each new chapter of TWI is basically novella sized. 6.23 was twenty eight thousand words. That doesn't seem...good, in terms of either storytelling, or the impact on the author.

That seems flat out insane to me.

Each 'volume' of Brigade is going to be in the 100K range, at most maybe 150 K

That's literally over a fourth of an entire volume of my own story. I can't imagine how the pacing is holding up

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

sunken fleet posted:

Yeah I'd go farther and say that wildbow intentionally went out of his way and wrote the scene in such a way that it's really really hard to fault Taylor for her actions, as a reader. She's the lone bug girl who finds out that NotSuperman is actually a huge bully and is forced to suffer in silence up until the point where NotSuperman is literally murdering all her friends. It's all very David and Goliath. When Taylor kills Alexandria and Tagg I'm pretty sure the reader is supposed to feel ecstatic about it - the big bullies finally getting their due, turnabout is fair play, an eye for an eye and all that jazz. From a robot's perspective, all beep boops and one and zeros and "what is this hu-man thing called 'love'" she might be in the "wrong" morally but from a storytelling perspective I'm pretty sure that she is clearly and unambiguously in the right. It's written so that Alexandria and Tagg are the bad guys in the scene and what happens to them is their righteous comeuppance. It's like when The Punisher finishes off the guy who killed his whole family - or, you know, any of a million other similar examples in fiction where the hero kills off the villain in a fit of righteous fury - obviously it's not exactly an unambiguous moral good... but it's also definitely not exactly a bad either, in the context of the story

This scene made me wonder if it was supposed to first have you root for and agree with Taylor then reflect on the trope of anti-hero lethal vigilantism and think "what if they got it wrong?" because Taylor did, but was written such that the former overwhelmed the latter.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

This scene made me wonder if it was supposed to first have you root for and agree with Taylor then reflect on the trope of anti-hero lethal vigilantism and think "what if they got it wrong?" because Taylor did, but was written such that the former overwhelmed the latter.

Alexandria is basically Superman if he were a fascist cop. She uses violence, intimidation and theater to get her way rather than compromise and understanding. WB literally crafted her to be powerful and intelligent, but inflexible. The plasticity of her brain has been solidifying and so she's become a creature of habit who does not change. In Alexandria's worldview, might makes right. The only thing that brought Alexandria to the negotiating table at all was that Taylor was a powerful warlord and so when Taylor attempted to negotiate in good faith, Alexandria didn't even bother. Instead she attacked her power base and attempted to wear down her will so that she'd capitulate.

In abusive relationships, the person who has the most power is the one who cares the least. The less someone cares, the more potential for abuse there is. You see this explicitly in that scene. The unwritten rules, the cops and robbers kayfabe exists because there are more villains than heroes, but they all need to show up for fights with the endbringers to keep society functioning. That's it. That's why those rules exist. If only the heroes show up, their numbers just aren't enough. They'll just get loving wrecked every time. The unwritten rules were created to set a place for people who would do bad things, but would show up for the survival not of themselves, but of others. And this distinguishes them from the totally selfish and totally evil people like the Slaughterhouse Nine.

Alexendria and Tagg thumb their noses at the unwritten rules. To the powerful, rules really don't matter. It's only a matter of what you can get away with or not. Destroying Taylor's secret identity threatens this system that keeps the world from literally being eaten away by giant monsters. And it is only Taylor's insistence that the PRT is useful and should change and her inherent sense of goodness and justice, however warped that it may be, that kept her from just blowing up the PRT. If she informs the villain community that if you show up to an endbringer fight, the "good guys" will take advantage of your weakness, no one shows up, or fewer do, or they'll want concessions that will cost more than agreeing now. Alexandria and Tagg bet that Taylor cares more about preserving this system than she does in destroying it. She cares more than they do, or at least that is the pretense. They prey on her warped sense of morality and hope that she'll cave.

This is what authoritarians and fascists do. They gamble. It's in their nature to gamble. In fact, the more desperate they are, the bigger their gambles. They'll double down, triple down, quadruple down, over and over again until they either succeed or fail so profoundly that they can't keep doubling down. Alexandria looked at Taylor and didn't see a way to cooperate. She looked at Taylor and saw a victory that was desperately needed to restore morale in the PRT to keep it from falling apart. Instead of instituting much needed reform, she wanted to continue this lovely, authoritarian system. She wanted to negotiate from a position of strength and that means that violence will be done.

Alexandria gambled and failed. Tagg gambled and failed. They died for it. The institution of the PRT could not have been reformed without the removal of these inflexible authoritarians. In fact, I'll say that Alexandria and Tagg and people like them, even if they negotiated, would do so in bad faith. That they would lie and the reforms would either never take place or be rolled back. Alexandria was desperate to preserve her legacy and the institution that she formed. Even though she was on her way out publicly, privately she was planning to rule through influence, or from behind the veil as it were.

They would not negotiate, not even in bad faith, much less good. They would not step away. They would not reform. In fact, they threatened the very peace that their fragile system relied upon, the unwritten rules. Because if only the heroes show up, they lose and lose badly. They tried to meet power with power because that was their mode of thinking. Conquer, dominate, not cooperate. They wanted short term gains, to keep the plates spinning for just a few more seconds in hopes that things would settle down into the status quo. They were unwilling to accept short term loss for long term gains because they were inflexible. Because it would be a new status quo. One that wouldn't benefit them. One that they couldn't control. That was unacceptable.

They forced a confrontation, kept escalating, kept doubling down, rejected cooperation and reform for violence and domination. They died for it. Good riddance. Taylor is a monster because she does monstrous things, but almost all great people are bad people. For all of Taylor's faults, she attempts to do good when she can, which is not to redeem her, but to expose this conflict she has between doing bad things, but wanting to do good as well. However, she's not Alexandria and Tagg, because they are the kind of monsters who actively make the world worse. In the long run, they'd gamble on the wrong person when they did this again because if they succeeded they would. Or they get outed violating the unwritten rules and their status quo would blow up anyway. Then everyone is on the butcher's block until a new status quo is formed, if ever, because that's not guaranteed. The unwritten rules are terribly, terribly fragile and consensus and a culture of self-sacrifice is difficult to form from scratch when the old status quo was on fire in the background, merrily burning, with the scent of broken promises, secrets and lies offend the nose.

This was not a good thing. It was a necessary thing. Their status quo was broken and these two were addicted to power and authority. They undermined the spirit of cooperation that kept civilization alive. They were inflexible. They wanted to maintain control. They were wrong. They died for it, because they saw a vulnerable sixteen year old and not a powerful warlord. They met cooperation with violence. And when Taylor finally brought violence, they died. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jun 14, 2019

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Is taylor supposed to be written as someone with dissociative tendencies? Because in that scene with tagg she seems like she's having a full blown episode due to trauma.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

A big flaming stink posted:

Is taylor supposed to be written as someone with dissociative tendencies? Because in that scene with tagg she seems like she's having a full blown episode due to trauma.

She can literally pass off her emotions to her swarm to ground her. This is why Alexandria failed to read her. Also basically all of the people with powers have had something hosed up happen to them. I'm not sure about the episode, as I'm not a psychiatrist, but her power increases when she's feeling trapped and helpless.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

... okay? Like I said, the way it’s written you’re clearly supposed to cheer for Taylor and feel she’s ultimately justified.

But she was wrong about her proximal cause to kill and that could’ve been a point about the issues of being judge, jury, and executioner while having a limited perspective as a subversion of the punisher trope.

I’m not saying he definitely was, but I read it as an attempt to have his cake and eat it too that didn’t come across very well because the antagonists are so villainous it drowns everything else out.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I actually stopped reading Worm because I got sick of Taylor being terrible(and also things escalating and escalating etc for forever).
TWI does a much better job of taking a breather between the crazyness imo.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

... okay? Like I said, the way it’s written you’re clearly supposed to cheer for Taylor and feel she’s ultimately justified.

But she was wrong about her proximal cause to kill and that could’ve been a point about the issues of being judge, jury, and executioner while having a limited perspective as a subversion of the punisher trope.

I’m not saying he definitely was, but I read it as an attempt to have his cake and eat it too that didn’t come across very well because the antagonists are so villainous it drowns everything else out.

Taylor is written in a way and written in circumstances in which she's largely justified, or could be justified for her actions, even though they're violent and lovely. That's a theme of the story. Taylor does extreme, bad things for reasons in which she is justified or feels justified.

However, if you ever wander into the halls of power, you will find tons of Alexandrias and Taggs. Not with superpowers of course, but you'll find abusive people in authority structures which enable them to be way more awful than they could be on their own. Alexandria and Tagg's actions are horrible, but I think that it's really only the super powers, scale and theater that differentiates it from normal circumstances of say, a corrupt police department.

Alexandria and Tagg are basically just corrupt cops on a grand scale. They wield authority that they then abuse to inflict their will on other people.

As for being the Punisher? The Punisher is a horribly broken man who murders people whom he deems as evil. He basically has no morals, but a code that he follows because he's a serial killer. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by an inversion of the Punisher trope though, because I can't really draw a line between their actions, parallel or not, other than the killing and the judgement, which Taylor does not make a habit of, but instead attempts to avoid murder as a way of solving her problems.

Taylor is not a serial killer who murders people because she's horribly broken. Taylor is a person who was pushed to an extreme and acted in an extreme way. Alexandria and Tagg were acting as judge, jury and executioner in this case, literally threatening to send her to death row at one point. A bluff, but those are the tactics that they use. It is the language of power and authority and violence. Though what was on offer was to send her to the birdcage forever, so death row was a negotiating tactic.

So I get what you're saying, Taylor did act as judge, jury and executioner in this case. Maybe in a moment of anger, but she decided that they should die. But institutionally, Alexandria and Tagg already had access to these powers too and were abusing them. Perhaps not like a Judge Dredd character who is the Punisher with a badge, but through their institution they definitely did have access to these powers and had enough institutional power and authority to make good on doing violence to Taylor as she attempted to cooperate in good faith. You point out that Taylor is wrong for acting as judge, jury and executioner. And I agree. There was nothing moral about what she did. Perhaps necessary, but not moral. Never moral. But I will also say that these powers were at the fingertips of vile people, Alexandria and Tagg, and that they should not have access to judge, jury and executioner powers either. But they do and that is somehow accepted that they should have them because of their inherent positions. And they abuse those powers and inflict their will on other people and that is morally wrong.

Also I don't think Taylor is justified. I'm saying that this is what happens when you make the only options to submit or to engage in violence. All doors towards cooperation were closed purposefully. If you reduce a person's choices to submission or violence, some people will choose one and some will choose the other. Taylor chose violence. Alexandria was a big part of what held up the status quo and she died. A classic load bearing villain. When she died, a new status quo needed to be formed, and they did, and Taylor basically killed her way into it not because she wanted into it anymore, but because she was invited in. She wasn't morally justified in murdering Alexandria and Tagg. Alexandria and Tagg were not morally justified in doing what they did either.

Sometimes, things just break down and you take that risk when you meet strength with strength.

Instead Taylor's actions were "justified" after the fact because the remnants of the PRT needed her to establish a new status quo. The old plates they were spinning fell down. Some broke, and what didn't break completely along with a few new plates were spun up and the new normal was established.

Taylor literally murdered Alexandria and Tagg because she believed that the PRT was no longer worth saving. Near the end, she lied and compromised herself to help give legitimacy to what remained of the PRT because it was Alexandria and Tagg's deaths that brought other people to the bargaining table. Was this moral? No. Was it purposeful to create a new PRT? No. Is Taylor a bad person? Yes. Are Alexandria and Tagg bad people? Yes. Taylor lit everything on fire and said gently caress it and it was that action that caused other people to take responsibility and establish a new status quo. She came to compromise, she ended up murdering her adversaries. Fully agree with you. Totally immoral. But morality breaks down in these sorts of situations when people refuse to cooperate and instead engage in violence.

Taylor is repeatedly cast as a sympathetic person whose monstrous actions are, if not justified, can be seen as understandable. This is what happens when you read/write from a limited perspective. You get that moral tunnel vision. You take the side of the person who the story is largely about because it's their story you can most empathize with because it's what you have the most contact with.

What happened was beyond morality. Perhaps Taylor came in as a person with good intentions, but Alexandria and Tagg did not. Taylor wanted to negotiate. Alexandria and Tagg wanted to dominate through violence. You need to be willing to put what you care about on the line to negotiate in good faith. Taylor did that. Alexandria and Tagg did not. Instead they forced a cusp and they lost their lives.

As you get further into the series, morality fully breaks down. I remember how in a much later chapters how Moord Nag needs 5000 lives for an Endbringer fight. A few people at this table of notables are horrified, but most aren't. The Cauldron faction just says, "Okay, we need you. Consider it done, what's next?" And people just accept that even though it's vile. Some complain, but they go along with it in the end. The story of Worm largely abandons conventional morality and does so over and over again as we approached its end.

Peachfart posted:

I actually stopped reading Worm because I got sick of Taylor being terrible(and also things escalating and escalating etc for forever).
TWI does a much better job of taking a breather between the crazyness imo.

That's cool. I was really slogging through some of those chapters by the end. Like I fully wished I could have skipped the Traveler's arc, which I found terribly terribly boring. Also the last third of the book I have no idea why Taylor was in it at all at all of these high level meetings other than being Tattletale's buddy. The scope was too big for Taylor's limited perspective and I read the last third basically because of the sunk cost fallacy.

I like Ward though. I legitimately like Victoria way more than I did Taylor.

How is TWI? I'm considering picking up a new series and I hear people talking about it a lot.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 14, 2019

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Ice Phisherman posted:

How is TWI? I'm considering picking up a new series and I hear people talking about it a lot.
How do you feel about anime? It's very anime. "I can't believe [important character] is so amazing at [thing]! B-b-bakana!" Got a case of DBZ-level pacing, too (hell, maybe worse than that). And the quality of the prose and dialogue is not good, it tends to ramble on and on.

On the upside, it has a large cast of mostly likable characters, there's a lot of variety in viewpoints as well, and some interesting worldbuilding. Definitely a quantity over quality web serial, imo. Is technically both a LitRPG and isekai if that turns you off or on, though tonally it's not really like a typical LitRPG at all.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.
Any good serials not listed in the OP? I've caught up on all of those but am still thirsty. :heysexy:

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I’m still not sure what your wall of text has to do with what I’m talking about, which is that Taylor is wrong about the basic facts which are the reasons, from her perspective, she killed Tagg. The evidence she reasoned off of was wrong in her court of one, which it often will be because of being limited in perspective.

This is unlike the standard lethal anti-hero trope where the people they kill did the things the anti-hero uses as justification for killing them, and it’s about the issues of killing in response to that.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

shirunei posted:

Any good serials not listed in the OP? I've caught up on all of those but am still thirsty. :heysexy:
Forge of Destiny is very good. It was originally created as a CYOA with tabletop RPG-style mechanics on a forum, but you can read the royal road version that doesn't have any of that poo poo (it's the same writing, just missing the blocks talking about dice rolls or options for next week's adventure).

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/21188/forge-of-destiny

The genre here is xianxia, but it's not translated xianxia, it's written in English, presumably by a westerner, so the writing flows much better and it's missing a lot of the shittier tropes that irk people about xianxia.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Practical Guide to Evil is the best web serial going if you can get past the typos and lack of readability editing. It explores some of the same themes as Worm but is much better in almost every way.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

PracGuide is in the OP (though it's missing a description paragraph).

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

shirunei posted:

Metaworld Chronicles maybe? It's about a woman who falls through time and space into a younger version of her own body and becomes a powerful wizard in an alternate version of Earth. It's long, it updates regularly, and it's pretty well written to boot. The first arc of the story is kind of a slow burn and the author dedicates an unusual amount of their word count to what outfits the main character is wearing sometimes but other than those two things I can't really pick out any glaring flaws. Plus it has, in my opinion, a super interesting setting that the author has obviously put a ton of love and care into crafting which feels really incomparable to any other story I've read. Maybe that's just a sign that I read too many stories set in generic template fantasy/wuxia/modern worlds but meh, it's what stuck out to me and way it tackled trying to integrate something like magic into a somewhat modern world was cool and done in a way I'd not seen before.

Or The Iron Teeth maybe? I haven't really kept up to date on this one but the first few volumes follow a goblin as it gets picked up by some humans and then has to struggle to integrate into their group. I thought it was a decent read. It's kind of a slow burn "monster powering up" type of story that (thankfully) doesn't have a bunch of numerical power levels stuffed in at every opportunity, which makes watching the growth of the main character feel more natural and (imo) enjoyable. Plus all the gobin-meets-human stuff makes for decent comedy sometimes.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

shirunei posted:

I write a story. I've mentioned it a few times so if you want you can scroll up and read about it a bit. Some people think it's pretty good. Also I write it here on Something Awful in the games forum, so it's something of a CYOA but with character sheets.

https://blakeisland.wordpress.com/

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ice Phisherman posted:

I've heard great things about that Lightning Brigade fella

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Ice Phisherman posted:

Cicero posted:

How do you feel about anime? It's very anime. "I can't believe [important character] is so amazing at [thing]! B-b-bakana!" Got a case of DBZ-level pacing, too (hell, maybe worse than that). And the quality of the prose and dialogue is not good, it tends to ramble on and on.

On the upside, it has a large cast of mostly likable characters, there's a lot of variety in viewpoints as well, and some interesting worldbuilding. Definitely a quantity over quality web serial, imo. Is technically both a LitRPG and isekai if that turns you off or on, though tonally it's not really like a typical LitRPG at all.

I'm probably the threads #1 TWI fan (I haven't really read any other serials to be fair) and I have to say that it really is only anime in that its structure heavily follows serialized isekai stories. Its prose is probably the biggest weakness in that it can be extremely uneven (god help you whenever pirateaba tries to write small action scenes) but when its good its great. In addition, it is excellent at establishing distinct voices for numerous characters, and there are vanishingly few flat characters that appear for more than 1 chapter.

It is hella long and recently pirateaba has been writing over 50000 words a week (the last two public chapters might have exceeded 60000) but if you're like me that's just more #content for you to enjoy.

A small thing that I like is that the premise of the alternate reality is that levels and skills are real, but none of the characters talk about them like a videogame. For the characters, it's simply a basic metaphysical reality of their world, and they discuss gaining levels and skills like people might talk about getting experience in a job or going to university. I despise LitRPG elements, and this work avoids all missteps involving them.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

TWI has a lot of issues, but I enjoy it a lot most of the time. It has good slice of life chapters, is good at evoking emotions not a cheap way, and the world and most of the characters are interesting. It gets better after Ryoka stops being a major character, and skip all the Flos chapters besides 6.15.K.

I'm still waiting for the skills/gods to go somewhere, anywhere though.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
also TWI has excellent loving politics and the only thing lacking in that respect is that pirateaba has yet to explicitly call for the destruction of the bourgeoisie through collective action :ussr:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

TWI has a lot of issues, but I enjoy it a lot most of the time. It has good slice of life chapters, is good at evoking emotions not a cheap way, and the world and most of the characters are interesting. It gets better after Ryoka stops being a major character, and skip all the Flos chapters besides 6.15.K.

I'm still waiting for the skills/gods to go somewhere, anywhere though.

i feel like niers maybe meeting the doctor and definitely meeting erin is going to get some of the overarching plot wheels spinning again. maybe niers ends up buying an enormous mana source for erin's door so that she can reach baleros, linking her up with the UN guys and forming a core team of earthlings finally ready to investigate poo poo like "why are we here, and what's up with levels and poo poo anyway?", probably with ryoka too? i think a big part of TWI's theme is that the people from earth are making the world more interconnected, with the wizard TV, erin's door, etc.

anyway TWI is definitely my favorite web serial and it's worth a read for sure. i don't really agree with the common opinion that it's very flawed - it's not perfect, and there are certain points where it gets pretty bogged down in a particular bit of worldbuilding, but on the whole it's very very good

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The king of destruction chapters in TWI are kinda unforgivably boring but other than those even the worst parts of the story are bad for a reason, basically everything ends up paying off in a pretty major way later down the line and the story is extremely good at punching you right in the feels over and over and over again.

Most of the major characters are extremely loveable and funny and unique, and the worldbuilding is a lot of fun. The story is a fucktonne of words long and I highly recommend reading it if you really want to sink your teeth into something that you won't need to put down for a long time.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

The Shortest Path posted:

The king of destruction chapters in TWI are kinda unforgivably boring but other than those even the worst parts of the story are bad for a reason, basically everything ends up paying off in a pretty major way later down the line and the story is extremely good at punching you right in the feels over and over and over again.

Most of the major characters are extremely loveable and funny and unique, and the worldbuilding is a lot of fun. The story is a fucktonne of words long and I highly recommend reading it if you really want to sink your teeth into something that you won't need to put down for a long time.

this is a bit of an asterisk with the goblin chapters, though. The goblins are a systemically oppressed race constantly on the verge of being genocided out of existence and the work tries to realistically depict the individuals that would be shaped by those circumstances.

One of the biggest :yikes: parts of TWI is that the characters occasional relate that goblins are prone to raping any non-goblin women they gain control of. It's never explicitly stated as such, but this is 100% a hateful stereotype inflicted on the goblins by their oppressors, and while some individual goblins do engage in that activity, those individuals are exceptional and other goblin characters straight up call such behavior inhuman (ungoblin, specifically).

but the goblin chapters can still be really rough to read on occasion.

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jun 15, 2019

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

TWI has a lot of issues, but I enjoy it a lot most of the time. skip all the Flos chapters besides 6.15.K.

Do not do that. Those chapters have some crucial meta-plot elements.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Like what? I can't remember a single thing from any of the Flos chapters that affects the way I view the story for any other set of characters. Maybe that's because they're so bad and boring I don't pay much attention while reading them and I've mostly stricken them from my mind, though.

(spoiler tag any answers please)

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

shirunei posted:

Take one on the chin for us and trawl through RoyalRoad's newest submissions to find something good. :D

Megazver fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jun 15, 2019

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

shirunei posted:

What I read of Into the Mire was pretty fun.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Into the Mire is a solid rec. I'm also following Inheritors. Everything else I might recommend is much more subjective.

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

Like what? I can't remember a single thing from any of the Flos chapters that affects the way I view the story for any other set of characters. Maybe that's because they're so bad and boring I don't pay much attention while reading them and I've mostly stricken them from my mind, though.

(spoiler tag any answers please)

The system.

The way it affects the people and underpins the world. You see how the King of Destruction twists the world around himself and ways in which it chafes Flos to be the King of Destruction (not that he does not enjoy it, just that Flos is more than that.

I do not think there is currently anything in K chapters that could not be gotten from other sources, but K chapters are mainly about the System.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I'm also in the "skipping all K chapters" gang, it has never bothered me.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Megazver posted:

Take one on the chin for us and trawl through RoyalRoad's newest submissions to find something good. :D

Skyclad, Chrysalis, The Snake Report (possibly on hiatus between books), Super Minion, The Scourged Earth, The Simulacrum.

Oh God, and I feel bad for putting it out there, but The Legend of Randidly Ghosthound. It’s...not good, but it’s Worm-sized, so it’ll keep you out of trouble for a couple months.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Megazver posted:

As someone who did this for a while, the only one I could recommend is Savage Divinity.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Oh I made a mistake uploading right before Inn did

Welp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004

navyjack posted:

Skyclad, Chrysalis, The Snake Report (possibly on hiatus between books), Super Minion, The Scourged Earth, The Simulacrum.

Oh God, and I feel bad for putting it out there, but The Legend of Randidly Ghosthound. It’s...not good, but it’s Worm-sized, so it’ll keep you out of trouble for a couple months.

Those are all good, also

Homicidal Aliens are Invading and All I Got is This Stat Menu
I Am Going To Die (In This Game-Like Dimension)
The Salamanders