Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/1139283915171147776

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
the scene with them playing looks pretty good :0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dwv4MiB08TY

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Everything Burrito posted:

the scene with them playing looks pretty good :0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dwv4MiB08TY

Looks good! I will watch the rock band boys.

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!
I too will watch fujo K-on.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/shipperinjapan/status/1139575801110679552

im really hoping this paraphrasing is inaccurate because lol

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
The Summer 2019 seasonal thread will probably go up next weekend, so as usual, throw all of your awful suggestions for the new thread title in here.

You can see what's upcoming this season right here

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/GKIDSfilms/status/1139174447770984448

GKIDS has licensed Promare for a theatrical release in America. Premiering the 17th and 19th of September, with nationwide release on the 20th.

lol are they gonna try to get Trigger an Oscar nomination

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Summer 2019: How Many Animes can you Lift?

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

nielsm posted:

Summer 2019: How Many Anime Sequels can you Lift?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

an actual dog posted:

lol are they gonna try to get Trigger an Oscar nomination
It deserves it, I saw it today and the ending is loving insane.

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.
Summer 2019: We were reincarnated into this thread

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Julias posted:

The Summer 2019 seasonal thread will probably go up next weekend, so as usual, throw all of your awful suggestions for the new thread title in here.

You can see what's upcoming this season right here

Summer 2019: it's on fire.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Endorph posted:

https://twitter.com/shipperinjapan/status/1139575801110679552

im really hoping this paraphrasing is inaccurate because lol

https://twitter.com/shipperinjapan/status/1139493502616604672

he made a thread

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Summer 2019: Truck-kun Cometh

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Summer 2019: Imagine Thorkell Punching a Horse, Forever

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Summer 2019: Isekai Bingo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

this thread sucks

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i didn't read it and im not watching sarazanmai but that tweet made me drew scanlon blink big time

anyway all i can think of is dramatic vinland saga quotes

Summer Season 2019 - Who Are You Going To Kill

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

If any of yall have any examples of gay men flat out saying I Love You in any other tv anime, feel free to post up

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
ikuhara invented sexuality

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I didn’t hate it or anything but if it’s supposed to be a big statement about how no one lets gay characters explicitly say “I love you”, I’d rather skip to the part where the show just features two gay characters saying “I love you” instead of setting up this situation where they aren’t allowed

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's really cool that there's a large body of work exploring homosexuality outside of what ikuhara makes and yet every ikuhara anime has to be held up by some people as inherently better for some specific quality that no other gay anime could ever hope to possess and not just, as a single example within that body of work that maybe does some interesting things

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I like it when voice actors are given direction to act out their characters like if they were a married couple but the story beats around the bush and goes literally nowhere

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

The Colonel posted:

it's really cool that there's a large body of work exploring homosexuality outside of what ikuhara makes and yet every ikuhara anime has to be held up by some people as inherently better for some specific quality that no other gay anime could ever hope to possess and not just, as a single example within that body of work that maybe does some interesting things

Nobody is doing that, tho? And also, again, post up. Where is this big body of work exploring homosexuality in tv anime? Cuz I have a hard time sympathizing with this frustration when Ikuni is actually backing it up. Maybe I'm misremembering, but did YOI even show them kiss?

Pootybutt fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jun 15, 2019

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

if ikuhara is lampooning the plausible deniability of homosexuality with things like word choice in yurikuma, then i certainly think he'd find this sort of thread that touts the three little words as a revolution to be equally absurd. and no good viral theory is complete without wild turns into the anime being itself a commentary on the author and industry, featuring my friend anti-capitalism. also the weird distinction between BL and non-BL is an entirely different can of worms.

people who consume ikuhara shows seem to be 1000% more self-serious about the material than he is and it was already tiresome three shows ago with utena.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Ikuhara lost me when Utena transformed into a car.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Grouchio posted:

Ikuhara lost me when Utena transformed into a car.

he lost you after 39 episodes and 2/3rds into a movie?

anyway you know i like the utena saturn game a lot but it sure is epic that utena and juri's endings go all the way to literal confessions of love and the promise to meet again in the future and still only end with a kiss on the cheek while all the dudes the protagonist has no real interesting relationship with and just breaks up with on the spot end with kisses on the lips in a game that was made after chiho saito's involvement with utena was long over

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

It's almost like you have to dance around and subtext and code poo poo far out the rear end to get on Japanese TV wo making it a crass joke. It's almost like that was the point

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i don't know if you're responding to me or dog but there's literal loving yuri anime that exists and doesn't have to dance around poo poo and that argument doesn't mean anything for a game where the literal lead up to juri's ending is someone calling her a lesbian

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Sarazanmai is pretty good and it's nice it's being open and is avoiding the things i hated about Yurikuma but any time I see people saying Ikuhara is the lead point of Queer stuff in anime/manga I just sorta of move on cause it's pretty wrong

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

The Colonel posted:

i don't know if you're responding to me or dog but there's literal loving yuri anime that exists and doesn't have to dance around poo poo and that argument doesn't mean anything for a game where the literal lead up to juri's ending is someone calling her a lesbian

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Until u can actually post up, yall just bitter about nothin.
But yeah, liking ikuhara is queer erasure i guess

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i don't think "i love you" matters

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
If people have good anime about gay men telling each other they love each other, I'd like to hear, not to prove a tweet wrong but because it's a more interesting conversation than this current dumb one

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Pootybutt posted:

Until u can actually post up, yall just bitter about nothin.
But yeah, liking ikuhara is queer erasure i guess

Meltdown May is over.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

see literally every time lesbians or gay men in (japanese) media say those words and you get twenty page debates about loving etymology and context and poo poo, because homophobes do not give quarter even when a work makes itself explicit

so honestly whether one does or not is usually the least of my worries at this point, and that's why i think the thread hinging itself on/praising those words is dumb.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

The Colonel posted:

he lost you after 39 episodes and 2/3rds into a movie?

anyway you know i like the utena saturn game a lot but it sure is epic that utena and juri's endings go all the way to literal confessions of love and the promise to meet again in the future and still only end with a kiss on the cheek while all the dudes the protagonist has no real interesting relationship with and just breaks up with on the spot end with kisses on the lips in a game that was made after chiho saito's involvement with utena was long over

Did Ikuhara actually have any personal involvement with that game? Because the entire thing has a fanficy air about it and doesn't quite mesh with the themes of the show.

Anyway, given the ending of the Utena movie, Ikuhara can hardly be accused of dancing around gay subtext. But I am not gay myself so idk

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Anno: He (Ikuhara) told me something like, "please, make them realize that, If she were real, she would get married, become pregnant, have a child, and grow older." I was thinking, "we don't have to go that far..." (laughs)

Anno was wrong, Ikuhara was right. Its the same thing with Yurikuma having the girls giving each other a big sloppy kiss in the end of the series and Mabu telling Reo that he loves him.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Guys I did it I found the elusive I love you. Hugtto spoilers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

Did Ikuhara actually have any personal involvement with that game? Because the entire thing has a fanficy air about it and doesn't quite mesh with the themes of the show.

Anyway, given the ending of the Utena movie, Ikuhara can hardly be accused of dancing around gay subtext. But I am not gay myself so idk

i can't find any credits for the game in english but he's the one who proposed it to sega so i assume he probably had some involvement in writing it