Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

subpar anachronism posted:

I ordered Mochi a harness, think it's an aviator? It's the same brand mysafebirdstore carries. What are y'alls best tips for getting him comfortable with it? I would like to be able to take him to a very small quiet park with me. I'd love to just walk around our neighbourhood but unfortunately it's a magpie zone and I'd be worried about how safe he felt.

I still can't get Cricket to tolerate a harness and I have been trying since we brought her home. She will let me set things around her head, but after that...its as far as she will go and it's not gonna work. I've decided that when I have the $$ I will just get a Pac-O-Bird (or 2) to carry them around in instead.

Hopefully, you have a bit of better luck than I did!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

subpar anachronism posted:

I ordered Mochi a harness, think it's an aviator? It's the same brand mysafebirdstore carries. What are y'alls best tips for getting him comfortable with it? I would like to be able to take him to a very small quiet park with me. I'd love to just walk around our neighbourhood but unfortunately it's a magpie zone and I'd be worried about how safe he felt.

Warning that I haven't actually gotten a bird harness trained.

You should gradually introduce the harness and provide high reward treats anytime the bird is nearing its tolerance. First let them see it, get rewarded. Repeat several times a day, gauging their reaction. Over the course several days, bring it closer and closer. Then, give rewards for interacting with it, touching it, that sort of thing. After a week of that, start touching it against them, working up to draping it over them, always giving their favorite things for dealing with it. You want them to remain comfortable, but at the edge where they start wondering if they want to get away. Eventually, put it over their head for a few seconds, then stretch the amount of time until they're comfortable with it around them, and hopefully you can finish securing it. Once there, going outside might become its own reward

Don't push too fast. There will be a temptation to push as much as they'll tolerate, but it's easy to sabotage yourself and take even longer to rebuild trust. It can take months to get them fully acclimated.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

awww that photo

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Truck Stop Daddy posted:

Uhoh I don’t need more friggin eggs!!! My Eyr angry finches already keep pooping them out at random

I think Serra heard us having this conversation, because I caught her trying to nest in a pillow fort.

You aren't tricking anyone, Bird.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

oh my god I just saw (and heard) a flock of wild conures on my walk home from work, god BLESS SoCal

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jun 11, 2019

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I mean, I'll say that Ozzy has Very Extremely Male Plumage, and he sings, but he's also spent a good chunk of this spring camping out on a corner of cage bottom, also doing that weird swaying lady tiels do over eggs. Every time I caught him at it he'd stop and chirp at me.

He did not lay any eggs. Maybe he just really really wants to be a dad and is hoping a girlfriend will come by, and just in case he has to clear out this spot.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

:cry:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Back before DNA sexing existed, I had a cockatiel named Neil with what was considered extremely male plumage. Neil sang to everything and the vet said Neil was a male.

After three years, Neil suddenly created nine eggs.

Cockatiels are tricky. :derptiel:

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Wouldn't that be a joke. A male bird named Sera and a female named Ozzy.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I have a female Quaker named Ozy that I was told was a male.

I was on the phone with an emergency vet hospital trying to get a referral for someplace open on Sunday when that egg finally popped out

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Birds live to confuse. I'm pretty sure of it.

Here is another attempt by Serra to find a cubby hole to make her nest. Apparently my arm and armpit are desirable places to raise eggs. (She did actually, physically lay an egg on my shoulder before)

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Important Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/meganfox/skatebird-be-a-skateboarding-bird

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

oh my god I just saw (and heard) a flock of wild conures on my walk home from work, god BLESS SoCal

It's definitely my experience that the hearing comes first!

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

chilling on the couch with terra and she decides my hair is a great nest :derptiel:

it's basically illegal for me to move from this spot now, right?

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Pesto, if given the option, would rather hang out on the windowsill all day, so much so that I don't believe he returns to his cage often enough to eat. I placed mason jars with food on the sill and he started eating immediately. He sings whenever the sparrows sing, it's cute.

I wonder if it's the reflection he's interested in? I hope he bonds with me eventually. It didn't take long for Banane to bond but I'd say he's more the exception than the rule.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Gender-queer bird represent.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

the little poop animation

i'm slain

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Faerie Fortune posted:

chilling on the couch with terra and she decides my hair is a great nest :derptiel:

it's basically illegal for me to move from this spot now, right?

You live there now. :derptiel:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Serra has been both molting and laying eggs. She is cranky. And fat. Fat and cranky.

Scritches help.

https://youtu.be/-XPtp0tSDSo

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

those fluffenchops :3:

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
The devs for the mobile game BitLife seem to understand Cockatoos:

Immediately followed by

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
"Train him not to do that." Good luck pal, this is a cockatoo we're talking about.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Cockatoos are the most Chaotic Good animal to ever exist.

Greys are of course Chaotic Evil.

Macaws are probably neutral evil.

And cockatiels probably neutral good.

I could go all day.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Captain Log posted:

Cockatoos are the most Chaotic Good animal to ever exist.

Greys are of course Chaotic Evil.

Macaws are probably neutral evil.

And cockatiels probably neutral good.

I could go all day.

Landerig is not a bird.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Cockatoos are chaotic neutral, don't kid yourself

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Cockatoos stretch across the entire alignment chart.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

sometimes I forget that tiels are tiny cockatoos, this is one of those situations that makes me remember

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Pinto loves to sit on top of my laptop. Having learned a lesson, I put a wipe on my keyboard to pre-emptively catch any shits he may drop from his tech perch.

Today after I put him away, I approach my laptop from the back, instinctively shut it and go to put it away. The shitwipe was still on the keyboard. It was me giving an immediate and knowingly "awwww fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck...." Just made my laptop a poo poo sandwich. Pinto rang his bell and chirped in the other room, as if to taunt me.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Okay how does Pesto keep getting out of the cage without touching either door? I hope he's not squeezing himself through the bars. They're really not far apart.

edit- I caught him in the act. He was indeed squeezing himself between the bars. There's a perch that was forcing the bars apart slightly. he could get his head through, and then a wing... Seems like a good way for him to hurt his neck or wings, if he were to get stuck.

Plant MONSTER. fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jun 14, 2019

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Serra doesn’t like the purple athletic tape I just got. This is her “Come At Me, Bro!” Stance.

https://youtu.be/-GXhngMtfb0

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Okay how does Pesto keep getting out of the cage without touching either door? I hope he's not squeezing himself through the bars. They're really not far apart.

edit- I caught him in the act. He was indeed squeezing himself between the bars. There's a perch that was forcing the bars apart slightly. he could get his head through, and then a wing... Seems like a good way for him to hurt his neck or wings, if he were to get stuck.

Obligatory
https://twitter.com/ChickyThoughts/status/1080522578886832128?s=20

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Plant MONSTER. posted:

What is the bar spacing? Parakeets need a pretty specific bar spacing, because if they get stuck and panic...it's not good.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Bean the budgie has to have the tops of her seed bowls taped down because otherwise she tips them over from the inside and escapes through the gap. One time she managed to tip it out of the way and then tip it back into position after escaping so it looks like she'd just phased through the bars like a superhero.

The funny thing is she doesn't really like being outside her cage much; she really just like messing with things to see if she can break them.

^^Cockatiel threat poses are ridiculously adorable - it must get frustrating for them to be being all big and scary and for everyone to just make :kimchi: faces at them.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Sera does the threat pose at me when I'm trying to round him up to go into the cage because I'm leaving and he's feeling particularly tantrumy about this.

It is not effective.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Captain Log posted:

Serra doesn’t like the purple athletic tape I just got. This is her “Come At Me, Bro!” Stance.

https://youtu.be/-GXhngMtfb0
Look at this just, extremely mad little derp.

:allears:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Tendai posted:

I think you mean TOUGH AND BRAVE

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Unrelated here's a neat bird article about a species of rail that absolutely refuses to sink fly

https://www.usnews.com/news/world-report/articles/2019-05-10/extinct-bird-re-evolved-itself-back-into-existence-on-island-in-seychelles

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Pookah posted:

Bean the budgie has to have the tops of her seed bowls taped down because otherwise she tips them over from the inside and escapes through the gap. One time she managed to tip it out of the way and then tip it back into position after escaping so it looks like she'd just phased through the bars like a superhero.

The funny thing is she doesn't really like being outside her cage much; she really just like messing with things to see if she can break them.

^^Cockatiel threat poses are ridiculously adorable - it must get frustrating for them to be being all big and scary and for everyone to just make :kimchi: faces at them.

I love it! Messing with minds and breaking things for the sole purpose of "just because". Pesto definitely has a plan in mind, he doesn't like being in his cage. He'd rather be hanging out by a window or in a plant. He claimed the Cissus as his plant. .

He also makes a noise that sort of sounds like Mega Man X charging up and firing his buster.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Tendai posted:

The thing that was hysterical is that if she was truly scared, she would have flown away. But every time my hand touched the purple tape, she let out a tiny his and started her, "Come at me!" wings. It's like she legitimately wanted to fight the tape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Oh my god this cutie.