Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
budgies soothe my heart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
https://twitter.com/DenverZoo/status/1139201693625794561

gay pride birds :kimchi:

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

username/post combo mastery

(what an adorable budgie)

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Props to the zoo who is patiently repeating the same tweet to chuds arguing that birds can't be gay, this has to be fake, or an artifact of captivity.

I had a nap, and Sera sat on my knee while I slept. I know he didn't move, because he pooped twice on my leg.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
look at them they're perfect

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I would die for those birds

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Hard same

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

RoboRodent posted:

Props to the zoo who is patiently repeating the same tweet to chuds arguing that birds can't be gay, this has to be fake, or an artifact of captivity.

Reminder that there's an all-female species of lizard that still has sex and manages to reproduce.

https://people.com/pets/gay-penguins-kidnap-chick-straight-parents-neglectful/

https://twitter.com/RedPandasDaily/status/1004386496588271619?s=19

https://twitter.com/RedPandasDaily/status/1004388181696040960?s=19

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Banane was gay because he liked to hump my hands and also he'd seduce his own reflection. He also liked Kate Bush

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I love these comics.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
https://www.sierraclub.org/sierra/non-native-parrots-have-naturalized-across-united-states

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
HEY hey hey! Everyone! I just figured out my four year old iphone can record in slow motion!

That gives me something to do this...month. :derptiel:

Ansith
Nov 8, 2010

Elongated Baked Bean
Hello Bird Crazies,

I've been lurking the thread for a few weeks now and read a few hundred pages. I've been a freshwater fish keeper for a few years but I've really been wanting a pet I could interact and form a bond with (cichlids are pretty smart but I'm still just large food dispenser). I always liked birds and really got stuck on the idea of a cockatiel. So after giving it some serious thought I picked up a good size cage (82×52x84cm), and found someone selling some hand raised baby 'tiels.

I was actually most interested in the natural yellow/grey colour, but surprisingly nobody around Brisbane was selling any. The guy selling them let the 3 he had left out and my new friend here stepped up on to my finger without hesitation, then decided my head was a good spot. Stepped up off my head no problem and was content chilling with me while the other two flew around the room hissing at things. The seller said he thinks it's a male so it could definitely be anything! I'm going with he for now.

I'm still undecided on a name, I'm thinking Potato scallop, Scallop for short. I have been told that's a stupid name though.

He loves getting into the food bowl to get a different angle on the seed. (Pellet diet swap coming in the coming months, just so I'm comfortable he'll eat properly for now as he's very young). Already had a poo poo in the food bowl and continue eating situation, so if I see him in there I move him back to perch on the side.

I'm already loving having him around, I get a bit disappointed when I have to go out at night and get back late because I can't go and say hello, don't want to wake up the baby bird (who is an amazingly good sleeper, we're not very quiet after he's asleep). He woke me up a few minutes before my alarm today with his flock call beeps and was content after I came to talk back (I can see this not being cute every day, but I know to expect it).

I'll shut up now, if you can't tell, I'm a bit excited to have a non-human friend.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Congratulations! Scallop is a great name, and he sounds like a good beeper.

You have a long, hard, rewarding road ahead of you.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Oh my Gawd, the little cutie! You two are going to have a great time together! That little baby flood is adoreable. :3:

If you want to make this forum even more confusing, name the bird Cera.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Scallop is an adorable name and I love him.

also never worry about posting too much about your bird, that's literally all we do here, post too much about our birds :buddy:

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

:shrug:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Such an adorable little baby gut. :3:

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Another Brisbane bird crazy! Must be something in the water.

That is a very cute baby bird.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

tiny brooklyn baby children

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
this old dude has made a friend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOTtP_2PGaY

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

:stare:

My God, that's so freaking amazing!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/unormal/status/1140091045302210561?s=19

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Here's a picture of Pesto looking out the window and here's a picture of Pesto becoming one with the trees

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Ansith posted:

Hello Bird Crazies,

Hello friend and welcome. Scallop is a wonderful name. Please post more Scallop.

That hummingbird video is wild. That man is some sort of druid.

-----------------

So, Ms Cookies and I have had Pinto for 8-ish months, and we both feel super guilty leaving him alone in the middle of the day when we both go to work. We found a bird that needs rescuing about an hour and change away from us, same species as Pinto, brotogeris versicolurus. Peanut (:kimchi:) has a startlingly similar story to Pinto. Older lady fell ill, adult child got a bird they didn't know how to care for. The woman we are talking to can't let Peanut out since she has two cats, so he's been stuck in the cage for close to two years, only coming out occasionally and being a bit bitey when he does. He will step up and is content to go for a shoulder ride, though.

Plan is to get the Peanut next week (just when our schedules line up) and have the two birds in separate cages, kinda quarantining Peanut until we can get a wellness check at the vet. Also to let them get to know each other without any chance for violence. I know they're flock birds and very social, but I'm still worried, and want to try and introduce them the right way.

Already got one bird, how bad can two be? laffo

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Whoo Scallop!

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Plant MONSTER. posted:

I love it! Messing with minds and breaking things for the sole purpose of "just because". Pesto definitely has a plan in mind, he doesn't like being in his cage. He'd rather be hanging out by a window or in a plant. He claimed the Cissus as his plant. .

He also makes a noise that sort of sounds like Mega Man X charging up and firing his buster.

He's such a handsome baby! I also love the later picture of him looking solemnly at some trees.

I tried to get Bean to come out for a little walk around the house with me but she said no thank you. She communicated this message by biting me as hard as she could, she actually broke the skin a tiny little bit. She's a fierce old thing.

Pookah fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jun 17, 2019

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Pookah posted:

He's such a handsome baby! I also love the later picture of him looking solemnly at some trees.

I tried to get Bean to come out for a little walk around the house with me but she said no thank you. She communicated this message by biting me as hard as she could, she actually broke the skin a tiny little bit. She's a fierce old thing.

Ouch! People don't usually experience bleeding from budgies but it's happened to me too. Banane once just sat there, biting the bottom corner near my thumbnail until it bled and he licked a bit of the blood (he was making preening noises during the whole thing). He was always weird.

Does Bean leave her cage often or is she one of them cagey types? Pesto is definitely not a cage bird, I'm going to set up perches for him near the window that can support a food and water dish. I just don't trust him around window screening, I can see him biting a hole and figuring out he can squeeze through. Houdini bird.

Edit- My brother told me he's thinking of adopting these two . They belong to his wife's father but due to ailing health he's not able to care for them as easily. I told my brother that he has to do it. Look at how elegant the blue one is!

Plant MONSTER. fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jun 17, 2019

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

my girlfriend and I are starting a business so we're a little busy doing grown up things like writing business plans and looking for retail premises. Terra was upset that I was not paying her attention while writing notes earlier today so she expressed her discontentment by stealing my pen and playing with it for a while before flinging it across the room

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Ouch! People don't usually experience bleeding from budgies but it's happened to me too. Banane once just sat there, biting the bottom corner near my thumbnail until it bled and he licked a bit of the blood (he was making preening noises during the whole thing). He was always weird.

Does Bean leave her cage often or is she one of them cagey types? Pesto is definitely not a cage bird, I'm going to set up perches for him near the window that can support a food and water dish. I just don't trust him around window screening, I can see him biting a hole and figuring out he can squeeze through. Houdini bird.

Edit- My brother told me he's thinking of adopting these two. They belong to his wife's father but due to ailing health he's not able to care for them as easily. I told my brother that he has to do it. Look at how elegant the blue one is!

Bean mostly stays in or on her cage - out-time has to be very carefully done because Pookie (a grey) lives in the same room and she deeply disapproves of budgies landing on her cage, but our budgies have tended to have this weird, insatiable need to try to pick fights with her.

Bean's origin is shrouded in mystery, she just arrived a couple of years ago. We heard her calling in the trees outside and put Miss Lady (other budgie) outside in her cage to try to draw the mystery bird down. She came at the perfect time because one of our budgies, (Mr. Man) had recently died of old age after an extremely intense life of barely surviving being crushed, picking fights with Pookie and humping people's heads. He also just arrived in a garden one day, but before we knew either him or Miss Lady.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Faerie Fortune posted:

my girlfriend and I are starting a business so we're a little busy doing grown up things like writing business plans and looking for retail premises. Terra was upset that I was not paying her attention while writing notes earlier today so she expressed her discontentment by stealing my pen and playing with it for a while before flinging it across the room

Serra has managed to find the one spot on lightning cables where a few well places nips render it worthless. I’ve gone through so many since having her.

Special Announcement!

Serra the Cockatiel hatched two years ago today. I hung some special treats for her and was looking forward to spending some time with her.

She has refused to leave the cage and looks like this -

Apparently she thinks birbday's are for laying eggs.

Edit : After making this post, there is a new egg and she is on my shoulder. :derptiel:

Captain Log fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 17, 2019

Terror Ninja
Oct 23, 2008

:newlol:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

That is one beautiful rainbow chicken!

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

help this is so cute I almost started to cry

https://twitter.com/benichan0905/status/1140463938032693248?s=19

he's learning!!!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
I love the way cockatiels trundle around

Ansith
Nov 8, 2010

Elongated Baked Bean
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

I tried out Scallop on him after work yesterday, it felt right. So it's official!

He had his first session outside of the cage with me, since he's already hand tame I figured I better get started on this sort of thing quickly. He's a bit eager to fly on to my head or climb up my arm to my shoulder, so if I see him attempting it I get him to step up on to my other hand.

I was treating him with a few nibbles at millet every 15 seconds he sat still on my finger, and took a small walk past my fish tanks with him (he was very interested, even ignoring the millet I was shoving in front of him). After a few minutes he tried nibbling at my finger nails so I put him back in his cage, definitely a investigation/is this food nibble and not a bite but I don't want to encourage the beak on my finger too much.

I ordered some natural australian wood perches from a parrot shop, so I can get rid of the two that came with the cage. I already have a few toys to rotate each week, he's playing/destroying them (and making GBS threads on them) already so that's a good sign that'll keep him busy while I'm at work. I made sure to avoid rope/cloth toys as I saw a few warnings about that.

I'll try get some more photos while I have him out, that is if he stops nibbling at my fingers.

Captain Log posted:

If you want to make this forum even more confusing, name the bird Cera.

If I was an evil person I would definitely do this, when both Serra and Sera started appearing on the same page I was confused for a bit.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Don't forget Terra. :3:

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Faerie Fortune posted:

help this is so cute I almost started to cry

https://twitter.com/benichan0905/status/1140463938032693248?s=19

he's learning!!!

he gets so excited when he can pick the song up from where his human left off :3:

Whole lot of extremely good bird picture production, keep up the good work.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
https://twitter.com/foxfeather/status/1140619498233487360

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Faerie Fortune posted:

this is so cute I almost started to cry

then why did you share it I'm not crying