Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Teams needs custom emojis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Thanks Ants posted:

:yeah:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

drukqs posted:

Hi,

Do nothing

Thanks,

drukqs

I might have been slightly too aggressive, and I am not happy w/ my wording, wish I could redo.

the service desk rep literally just opened, and then closed the ticket out, which was precisely her request... Ticket number "in hand," she walked over to a support contractor who isn't equipped to help...
I had similar today. One tech at $CLIENT's third party service desk kept sending over URL whitelisting requests for users with the sole info being "user says it was available but now is not" and the URL. Turns out every single one was available, with the most complicated issue being that the user had stuck "www." in front of a subdomain and getting a 404 that was presented as a DNS error by the various levels of filtering the client has.

gently caress you Luke, do your job and do some basic troubleshooting.

Thanks Ants posted:

In a previous job Slack let me identify the goons in the building by seeing who added smileys from here.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Thanks Ants posted:

:c2b: they do need them!

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

nexxai posted:

In case you have Azure and want to annoy the poo poo out of your coworkers by emailing them cat facts every 5 minutes: https://github.com/nexxai/cat-facts/

I was bored at work today.
So apparently the Senior PM Manager of Microsoft Azure Functions saw cat-facts

https://twitter.com/jeffhollan/status/1139699237598273537

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Congrats on your e-fame!

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Target POS systems down nationwide

Will it be DNS??!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

klosterdev posted:

Target POS systems down nationwide

Will it be DNS??!

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Saw this posted on another forum I frequent, so can't verify if true but

quote:

I have a friend who works at corporate as an engineer for their mobile devices.

"Major shutdown was due to the services running in stores not responding appropriately which lead to the registers and myDevices calling HQ as a backup but suddenly every register enterprise wide was calling the central service which was not designed for every register calling at the same time which broke that service."

So every register in the company was DDoSing headquarters. Probably a bad update to the services in the stores and the backup service wasn't engineered to scale to that size.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

klosterdev posted:

Distributed systems are hard :allears:

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

nullfunction posted:

Distributed systems are hard :allears:
Knowing Target, I picture this well-designed, massive load-balanced system, all pointing to a MySQL instance on someone's laptop

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

klosterdev posted:

I went to get my pre-picked groceries at Kroger this afternoon, and a few minutes after I called and told them I was there, a team member walked out to all the cars one after the other with a sticky note in hand.

She meekly explained that their computer wasn't working and she was manually getting names. My first thought was "oh my God it's happening again" and fretting about compromised systems.

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.

Nth Doctor posted:

I went to get my pre-picked groceries at Kroger this afternoon, and a few minutes after I called and told them I was there, a team member walked out to all the cars one after the other with a sticky note in hand.

She meekly explained that their computer wasn't working and she was manually getting names. My first thought was "oh my God it's happening again" and fretting about compromised systems.

Must have been local. There was no enterprise-wide Clicklist outage today.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

CollegeCop posted:

Must have been local. There was no enterprise-wide Clicklist outage today.

Do you work for FM?

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.

kensei posted:

Do you work for FM?

The parent company (Kroger)

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Are we going to blindly trust the word of Big Grocery?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

CollegeCop posted:

The parent company (Kroger)

I used to work for Fred's when I was in school. My wife still does.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

kensei posted:

I used to work for Fred's when I was in school. My wife still does.

Freddie's seems cool? I mean, I always liked shopping there when we visited Oregon during my childhood cuz their CD section had really weird stuff I couldn't find anywhere else.

Our MDM guy knows the guy who originally wrote the whole POS backend for Kroger, and is trying to get him to work for us. Except he's super OCD and doesn't want to move. Or commute further than 10 minutes from his house. And he lives in deep North Portland, so...welp.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Connected two UPS units to a compatible PDU from the same manufacturer and they both exploded. Cool. Now to wait on the tickets for a million years.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

A bunch of tickets came in yesterday. Our call center VoIP product was acting lovely, and it turns out resources were at 100% on the server. It was so bad we had to move back to a previous product in our own call center.

Turns out we're hosting it on bare metal in our own building, with no plans to expand it in any way. There's less than 20 customers on it, but they thought it was ready for prime time and they were ready to SELL SELL SELL.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
The whole city lost power this morning. I was unaware of it because I was not at work yet.
I got a frantic phone call from a panicked user frustrated because "she can't get to anything on the network."
I told her to call the helpdesk because I'm trying to brush my teeth and she said she couldn't because the power is down all over the city and her [desk] phone doesn't work.

First of all, how the hell are you on the phone with me right now if your phone doesn't work? (Turns out she was using her cell phone and thought she could only call the helpdesk from her desk phone)
Second, don't call me.
Third, wait... the power is out? THE POWER IS OUT. What do you expect to be able to accomplish when the power is out?
"I need to print something."
Oh, okay, well did you check if the printer has power? :suicide101:

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
GnarlyCharlie4U, we received a complaint from a user that you were unhelpful, refused to accept responsibility for the situation, and in the end were unable to resolve the incident. Can you explain your performance, and outline a plan to improve for next time?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Google Calendar has been down for hours, strangely no one gives a poo poo except our CEO's admin (rightly so).

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Am email came in describing an issue with a VM housing a scheduled bot to do some such thing. It is signed with: "Thanks & kindly revert in case you need any clarification."

I'm not entirely sure what that's supposed to mean, but sure alright developer dude. Whatever you say.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Am email came in describing an issue with a VM housing a scheduled bot to do some such thing. It is signed with: "Thanks & kindly revert in case you need any clarification."

I'm not entirely sure what that's supposed to mean, but sure alright developer dude. Whatever you say.

Means reply if you need help or have any questions. Typical Indian speak.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
While that would make sense, they have been entirely useless with any questions I have had regarding how this drat thing is supposed to work. So great I guess.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

*reverts production to the previous buggy version*

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Data Graham posted:

*reverts production to the previous buggy version*

I actually did something like that the first time I ever saw "kindly revert" in a ticket. I had just made a hardware change and they replied to me with "kindly revert on what has been done" and I thought the "on" was a typo or something, so I happily went and undid the hardware changes. :downs: They were furious, and got even more mad when I stated that they asked me to revert what had been done, and I did exactly that.

Luckily my manager was chill and smoothed it over but cripes that was a learning experience. :doh:

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jun 18, 2019

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Remember to not spec 120V equipment for a 240V setup!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

GreenNight posted:

Means reply if you need help or have any questions. Typical Indian speak.
I've noticed my current client has a lot of Irish people who do this. Presumably it's started to spread and will soon be as widely understood as "do the needful".

ETA: I'd have been loving :psyduck: about it had this thread not educated me.

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jun 19, 2019

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Kyrosiris posted:

I actually did something like that the first time I ever saw "kindly revert" in a ticket. I had just made a hardware change and they replied to me with "kindly revert on what has been done" and I thought the "on" was a typo or something, so I happily went and undid the hardware changes. :downs: They were furious, and got even more mad when I stated that they asked me to revert what had been done, and I did exactly that.

Luckily my manager was chill and smoothed it over but cripes that was a learning experience. :doh:

Kyrosiris did nothing wrong

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I'm not sure how else to read that?

Super Soaker Party! posted:

Kyrosiris did nothing wrong

This

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Kyrosiris posted:

This makes me so happy

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Sefal posted:

I'm not sure how else to read that?
I believe they're using "revert" to mean "respond" or "reply".

Which is an incredibly terrible idea because if you're talking to somebody unfamiliar with this use, well, "okay I guess I'll change it back"

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah I’ve been hearing revert for years at this point. Basically just means respond.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean on the one hand, language evolves, death to prescriptivism, etc.

On the other hand, COME ON

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Renegret posted:

This makes me so happy

That's usually the reaction I get when I tell that story. :v: Admittedly I could've handled it with more tact, but like others have said, how else are you supposed to interpret that if you've never heard that particular turn of phrase?

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
Especially when the dictionary definition of the word everywhere in the world except India is literally "return to a previous state."

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I can deal with it at this point when interacting with non-devs who use it that way. I only wonder though, what do they do when they actually mean revert? It's not an uncommon concept in software development.

Every Indian developer I've ever worked with uses the word correctly, but maybe I've just been lucky...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Yeah, honestly at this point I'm just curious about the origin of the phrase. Someone on here (I think?) went into the etymology of "do the needful" and it was really fascinating; I'd love the same sort of thing regarding "revert" as "reply back".