Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Hot take for anyone new coming in here:

imo if you want to watch Eva and not get annoyed, just watch the first two Rebuild movies, read some episode sum-ups of the last like 4-5 episodes of the TV show (wherever the 2nd movie ends, I can't really remember and the ending isn't the same as the ep it was based on anyway), then watch End of Evangelion.

If you enjoyed that then go ahead and watch everything else not included there.

This is a good idea, I guess, if you want to get mismatched pieces of different stories and have no idea what's going on

The TV show is great, IDK what's there to be "annoyed" about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
To me, the main purpose for getting acquainted at all with anything Eva is to gather backstory for watching the fantastic, wonderful End of Evangelion movie.

The catch being that no matter what you do to prepare the max amount of understanding you're going to have anyway is like 30% soooooooo I wouldn't blame anyone for going in cold and just enjoying the ride or reading as short of a sum-up as you can and then watching EOE.

I think the series is ok, the rebuild movies are better but stop actually being re-makes at some point which is strange, the rest of the canon is very bad, and EOE is extremely super good.

esselfortium posted:

This is a good idea, I guess, if you want to get mismatched pieces of different stories and have no idea what's going on

This is going to happen no matter how faithfully you go through it, so why not just do a whizbang quick version to get to the good stuff asap.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 21, 2019

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Intel&Sebastian posted:

imo if you want to watch Eva and not get annoyed, just watch the first two Rebuild movies, read some episode sum-ups of the last like 4-5 episodes of the TV show (wherever the 2nd movie ends, I can't really remember and the ending isn't the same as the ep it was based on anyway), then watch End of Evangelion.

imo if someone is interested in watching evangelion, they should consider watching Evangelion, the show

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
just randomly put on any episode from the TV show like you're channel surfing before the internet was a thing

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
The Rebuild movies diverge from the original story pretty quickly and heavily change the characterizations.

I don't know what to even say to the claim that the TV series is bad and the new movies are great, but the original is a beloved classic for a reason. If you really didn't understand anything from EoE it might be worth going back and rewatching some of that pointless bad stuff.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Watching two different sources are gonna confuse the poo poo out of people.

You might as well just watch the movie itself.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I also like the TV show more and think the rebuilds are fine but not particularly great, so idk.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Well that's why it's my hot take. I don't actually think it's necessary to suffer through the entirety of the old, weird, poorly paced, often annoying show to enjoy most of what makes the whole thing great.

Now, if you get through like remake 1 and you're like "HOT drat THIS IS MY poo poo!" then by all means go ahead and do it the right way, but if you just want to see some giant robot fighting, get the gist of the rest of it and then watch the insane crazy movie where the good gifs and big white head meme stuff comes from........do it my way and save yourself time.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Kosume Shezaki posted:

What happened with 3.0? I know the official release took forever to come out but was there something else?

Basically, either Anno himself or someone high up at Gainax/Khara was in attendance at the US premiere of the 3.0 dub. They were apparently not familiar with how rowdy Americans can get in movie theaters, especially nerds at a nerd dedicated showing, so when the audience had crowd reactions to various scenes (including bursting into laughter at the piano sequence) it spooked the hell out of them. this, coupled with disagreement on some of the artistic licenses taken with the localization, caused Gainax to immediately demand that 3.0 be completely redubbed with a new script.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Well that's why it's my hot take. I don't actually think it's necessary to suffer through the entirety of the old, weird, poorly paced, often annoying show to enjoy most of what makes the whole thing great.

Now, if you get through like remake 1 and you're like "HOT drat THIS IS MY poo poo!" then by all means go ahead and do it the right way, but if you just want to see some giant robot fighting, get the gist of the rest of it and then watch the insane crazy movie where the good gifs and big white head meme stuff comes from........do it my way and save yourself time.

just cause its a hot take doesn't mean you just get to spout nonsense

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
I watched the show for the first time this year. It was good. EoE was also good. There's no need whatsoever to have newcomers watch any sort of remade version for no reason, when the original is right there, in all of its glorious illegal bluray form.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Intel&Sebastian posted:

this sounds absolutely terrible. There is only one way to watch this show and its NGE, Death & Rebirth, EoE, and then the rebuild movies

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Basically, either Anno himself or someone high up at Gainax/Khara was in attendance at the US premiere of the 3.0 dub. They were apparently not familiar with how rowdy Americans can get in movie theaters, especially nerds at a nerd dedicated showing, so when the audience had crowd reactions to various scenes (including bursting into laughter at the piano sequence) it spooked the hell out of them. this, coupled with disagreement on some of the artistic licenses taken with the localization, caused Gainax to immediately demand that 3.0 be completely redubbed with a new script.

holy god lmao

poor Anno, or whoever it was but uh

this is much worse than a rowdy theater. I just watched the first episode and oof.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

The complaints are all completely legitimate and I agree with them...

But drat, just scrubbing through EoE and rewatching my favorite scenes again (the last like, 10 minutes or so once that beautiful violin solo piece comes on / Asuka's amazing Eva fight) is so satisfying. The movie's a masterpiece.

(Subbed, of course)

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

LMAO this is super dumb. If all you care about as a viewer is "lol look how craaazy this is" without any context or need to appreciate the rest of it, just watch some EoE clips on youtube and save yourself the trouble.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

CharlestheHammer posted:

Watching two different sources are gonna confuse the poo poo out of people.

You might as well just watch the movie itself.

I agree 100%, the movie is great and if you just want to watch a really good crazy movie with great visuals, don't be afraid that you NEEEEED to watch 14 hours of tv anime to enjoy it. It helps, but like.....not that much.

esselfortium posted:

The Rebuild movies diverge from the original story pretty quickly and heavily change the characterizations.

I don't know what to even say to the claim that the TV series is bad and the new movies are great, but the original is a beloved classic for a reason. If you really didn't understand anything from EoE it might be worth going back and rewatching some of that pointless bad stuff.

The TV series isn't bad, it's pretty good, and if you're the kind of person who's watching days-worth of anime anyway then you should absolutely watch it. I've gone through it plenty of times already and I understand EOE just fine. That's exactly why I don't feel bad telling someone who doesn't want to watch 14 hours of anime that it's totally fine to just read a series sum-up or watch the Rebuilds to get the general idea and then watch the cool rear end movie where most of the good stuff happens anyway.

Kosume Shezaki
Feb 23, 2006

Thank you for sharing. That is definitely a thing.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The correct order is Nadia TV series > GunBuster > Kare Kano > Ideon: Be Invoked.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

LMAO this is super dumb. If all you care about as a viewer is "lol look how craaazy this is" without any context or need to appreciate the rest of it, just watch some EoE clips on youtube and save yourself the trouble.

This is also ok, but I'd still recommend watching the entire movie if that's your thing.

idk, this is just me. I'm sure most people in the thread for the anime will be absolute aghast at the idea of not watching every single bit of it but my opinion is that it's not necessary if you want to save yourself 10 hours and still enjoy the vast majority of what most people enjoy about Eva.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

This sounds made up

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
evangelion is good, i like it

Intel&Sebastian posted:

To me, the main purpose for getting acquainted at all with anything Eva is to gather backstory for watching the fantastic, wonderful End of Evangelion movie.

The catch being that no matter what you do to prepare the max amount of understanding you're going to have anyway is like 30% soooooooo I wouldn't blame anyone for going in cold and just enjoying the ride or reading as short of a sum-up as you can and then watching EOE.

I think the series is ok, the rebuild movies are better but stop actually being re-makes at some point which is strange, the rest of the canon is very bad, and EOE is extremely super good.

This is going to happen no matter how faithfully you go through it, so why not just do a whizbang quick version to get to the good stuff asap.
making my first post in this thread to say this is absolutely psychotic

the show is barely ten hours, most people who watch western dramas dont flinch at what is basically 13 forty-eight minute episodes. it's not this big life altering commitment

RME posted:

imo if someone is interested in watching evangelion, they should consider watching Evangelion, the show

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Music licensing is famously weird and that seems to be related to what happened to Fly Me to the Moon here

https://twitter.com/Mendinso/status/1142136872501727232?s=19

https://www.thewrap.com/why-netflix...impression=true

Outside of Eva I don't have any particular fondness for it, but boy is it ever stuck in my head now.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

In Training posted:

This sounds made up

I was at the dub premiere in Baltimore at otakon, and while it almost certainly wasn't Anno himself that was there and had a bad reaction, the part about the audience being extremely rowdy is absolutely true and its also true that the home release dub is not the same one I saw in that showing.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Is ep 16 any better looking

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Who cares about thematic, character or narrative coherence anyway, just read a wiki summary and watch Top 10 WTF Scenes in Evangelion. Surely, this is what most people enjoy about Eva.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Evangelion the TV series is about 8 hours long, but it’ll educate and entertain you more than any other 8 hour movie I know

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Who cares about thematic, character or narrative coherence anyway, just read a wiki summary and watch Top 10 WTF Scenes in Evangelion. Surely, this is what most people enjoy about Eva.

it almost feels like people have actually internalized this idea that Eva is an Important Show That You Need To See without actually liking it

which, i mean, good for Eva on winning such a massive cultural victory :mrgw:

but i am a little wistful for an alternate universe where it happened to Revolutionary Girl Utena instead

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

it almost feels like people have actually internalized this idea that Eva is an Important Show That You Need To See without actually liking it

which, i mean, good for Eva on winning such a massive cultural victory :mrgw:

but i am a little wistful for an alternate universe where it happened to Revolutionary Girl Utena instead

Extremely same. The fact that this thread is this old and long while any thread about Ikuhara stuff struggles to get past 5 pages makes me frustrated beyond any rational level.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Expect My Mom posted:

evangelion is good, i like it

making my first post in this thread to say this is absolutely psychotic

the show is barely ten hours, most people who watch western dramas dont flinch at what is basically 13 forty-eight minute episodes. it's not this big life altering commitment

People who watch 10 hours of Western Dramas are watching 10 hours of Western Dramas, not questionably translated 1990's Japanese animated tv shows with a bunch of Japan specific oddities and problematic sexual bits peppered in. There's a definite difference.

I loooooove Eva, I love the little weird things that come along with the bad translations and poo poo that isn't my culture. If I think someone is like me who will love the whole thing, I would tell them to watch the whole thing.

Most people? And me 8/10 times I feel like re-watching Eva stuff? Go with the rebuilds and whatever gets you up to date enough to enjoy EOE.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Most people who aren't posting about it online, yeah.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

a kitten posted:

Music licensing is famously weird and that seems to be related to what happened to Fly Me to the Moon here

https://twitter.com/Mendinso/status/1142136872501727232?s=19

https://www.thewrap.com/why-netflix...impression=true

Outside of Eva I don't have any particular fondness for it, but boy is it ever stuck in my head now.

this is some actual bullshit. They have all the money in the loving world.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Pretty sure Anno and Khara have no control over international licensing or anything with the Evangelion TV series so if you want to look at someone for the weird changes look at Gainax or Gaina or whatever the gently caress it is now

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

The REAL Goobusters posted:

this is some actual bullshit. They have all the money in the loving world.

They literally threw so much money at the license that funimation basically said they were cheating, if money was the reason why then it was almost certainly some suit balking at it.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
idk, I'm just not as precious about the whole thing as most people here. It's been 20 years, anyone who hasn't been arsed into pirating Eva by now probably isn't THAT interested in seeing it. I'm thrilled for anyone new who's going through the entire thing and is excited for it but like lol, this netflix thing is mostly for us, people who've already seen it.

That's why the prevailing conversation everywhere online about it is "WTF have you done to my baby!??!!" and not episode/theme discussions

(disclaimer: I don't have Netflix, just the old dvd collection that had a silver box or whatever and some ripped copy that seems to be the same as those)

Blockhouse posted:

Pretty sure Anno and Khara have no control over international licensing or anything with the Evangelion TV series so if you want to look at someone for the weird changes look at Gainax or Gaina or whatever the gently caress it is now

They're talking about the latest rebuild movie though

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
If someone doesn't want to watch Evangelion I think they should just not watch Evangelion.

Arkhams Razor
Jun 10, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

No, they obtained those rights a couple of years ago after their court case got resolved. The main translator here is the one they specifically employ for all of the in-house work they do, and was the guy they brought in to handle the 3.0 retranslation. Song rights are probably another story, but most of the content changes are almost certainly coming directly from them.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

They literally threw so much money at the license that funimation basically said they were cheating, if money was the reason why then it was almost certainly some suit balking at it.

they just want to cut corners. and be the sole owners of their dub/sub. And they did a pretty poo poo job at it. Thank god I still have a way to watch the real eva

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

People who watch 10 hours of Western Dramas are watching 10 hours of Western Dramas, not questionably translated 1990's Japanese animated tv shows with a bunch of Japan specific oddities and problematic sexual bits peppered in. There's a definite difference.

Sure. But if you think these people are not predisposed to enjoying Eva because it's old and weird, why would you possibly recommend them EoE? My previous contextless youtube clips suggestion would unironically be far better for that purpose than this utterly bizzare "watch a bunch of newer movies purely so you can go back to this old and weird movie" plan.

AFancyQuestionMark fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jun 21, 2019

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I really can't get angry at them not wanting to spend money for something their own website skips over after twenty seconds

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I loooooove Eva, I love the little weird things that come along with the bad translations and poo poo that isn't my culture. If I think someone is like me who will love the whole thing, I would tell them to watch the whole thing.

Most people? And me 8/10 times I feel like re-watching Eva stuff? Go with the rebuilds and whatever gets you up to date enough to enjoy EOE.
I don't understand why you're so adverse to letting people experience all of that. Like whatever, maybe they won't like it, and that's fine. Don't try to lead them through Evangelion like you're their seeing eye dog. Recommending someone Evangelion is like taking your best friend or your partner back to your small hometown, and it's awkward where you have to go "Yeah I know it's weird and I'm glad I left here but this is what it is", but don't lie to them about what it is.

It feels like someone is trying to show someone Twin Peaks and they're like 'Just skip all of Season 2" no, gently caress that man! That's what that show is, it's James living in a woman's attic and a weird Civil War subplot, don't try to cover it up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Quite is not edit

AFancyQuestionMark fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 21, 2019