Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

rofl clicked this guys account and noped at the pinned tweet :stare: jfc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
Eva TV still holds up really well and these are some really bad takes

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Maybe if Netflix (and the western voice acting enterprise as a whole) took their voice acting as seriously as Japan does (or have more dialogue with the original writers), this wouldn't have happened.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Expect My Mom posted:

It feels like someone is trying to show someone Twin Peaks and they're like 'Just skip all of Season 2" no, gently caress that man! That's what that show is, it's James living in a woman's attic and a weird Civil War subplot, don't try to cover it up
Yeah that happens a lot with Twin Peaks in particular and it seems very silly to me.

Its like people are scared that newbies could watch the “bad” parts and, gasp, actually like them and therefore threaten the hegemony of the consensus opinion. Very strange IMO.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I also think it's funny to recommend the rebuilds over the tv show bc of "problematic sexuality" when Rebuild 2 is way worse in that department compared to basically every other bit of Eva media

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Grouchio posted:

Maybe if Netflix (and the western voice acting enterprise as a whole) took their voice acting as seriously as Japan does (or have more dialogue with the original writers), this wouldn't have happened.

They do take it seriously. I mean Netflix obviously didn’t but still

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

esselfortium posted:

Eva TV still holds up really well and these are some really bad takes

actual fact

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
EOE also has like the whole masturbation scene which while it has a purpose narratively is way more problematic than anything in the series proper.

It seems like your trying to trick people who wouldn’t like EVA to watch a movie they also wouldn’t like

Why

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Arkhams Razor posted:

No, they obtained those rights a couple of years ago after their court case got resolved. The main translator here is the one they specifically employ for all of the in-house work they do, and was the guy they brought in to handle the 3.0 retranslation. Song rights are probably another story, but most of the content changes are almost certainly coming directly from them.

well then!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

EOE also has like the whole masturbation scene which while it has a purpose narratively is way more problematic than anything in the series proper.

It seems like your trying to trick people who wouldn’t like EVA to watch a movie they also wouldn’t like

Why

The masturbation scene is like the opposite of problematic

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I haven't seen the Rebuilds yet because I was going to wait for them all to come out (yes i know the joke, they never will), but a friend told me that the ending of 3.33 is meant for you to just sit with it and wait for 4.44 so i'm excited to see them

Raxivace posted:

Yeah that happens a lot with Twin Peaks in particular and it seems very silly to me.

Its like people are scared that newbies could watch the “bad” parts and, gasp, actually like them and therefore threaten the hegemony of the consensus opinion. Very strange IMO.
yeah! I love season 2 of twin peaks, james just loving off to this woman's house for four episodes is legit very funny to me and I'm glad I watched it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

it almost feels like people have actually internalized this idea that Eva is an Important Show That You Need To See without actually liking it

which, i mean, good for Eva on winning such a massive cultural victory :mrgw:

but i am a little wistful for an alternate universe where it happened to Revolutionary Girl Utena instead
what if i told you that it had, given how often people talk about how serious and artful utena is and barely ever mention the comedy, or kinda just ignore the movie

Intel&Sebastian posted:

People who watch 10 hours of Western Dramas are watching 10 hours of Western Dramas, not questionably translated 1990's Japanese animated tv shows with a bunch of Japan specific oddities and problematic sexual bits peppered in. There's a definite difference.
i can assure you that western dramas have tons of problematic sexual bits too

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

In Training posted:

My point is that people react way worse to that scene then anything in the series

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also end of evangelion is the worst part of evangelion and im counting girlfriend of steel and super robot wars mx

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

In Training posted:

No way, it is in the purest sense "problematic". But like, as part of the show. It's not problematic like "wow don't put this in the show".

Jerking off over a comatose person is problematic, shinji did a very bad thing.

Endorph posted:

also end of evangelion is the worst part of evangelion and im counting girlfriend of steel and super robot wars mx

Wow. Wrong. Somebody ban this guy please.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
finally someone's cancelling shinji. get his rear end, gang

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
mods sincerely rename me to Girlfriend of Steel please

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

super robot wars mx: has a guy from an obscure 80s/90s super robot franchise appear on gendo's roof and threaten to punish him with justice and when gendo asks who he is he goes 'you aren't worthy to know my name!' then leaps off into the night

end of evangelion: does its best to erase the beautiful and artful tv series ending

super robot wars mx: has a robot that runs on batteries

end of evangelion: has a robot that runs on a power cord

girlfriend of steel: is named girlfriend of steel

end of evangelion: is not named girlfriend of steel

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Ok you make some good points there.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

girlfriend of steel also has a scene in which shinji drinks a beer and then falls into a dumpster

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Endorph posted:

i can assure you that western dramas have tons of problematic sexual bits too

Problematic Sexual Bits was the working title for Game of Thrones

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
I know this may sound controversial, but EoE is good actually.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Big thanks to Netflix for reigniting this argument that was already boring 20 years ago

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I like EOE.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

EoE is decent.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

lets hang out posted:

Big thanks to Netflix for reigniting this argument that was already boring 20 years ago

You don’t have to read it, hosed up I know

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

In Training posted:

I’ve really come around to thinking that the hospital scene was incredibly gross and tasteless in hindsight. I know that the whole point of it was showing that Shinji had reached his absolute nadir by the end of the series, but I still think that there were better ways to illustrate that without turning Asuka into even more of a sex object than she already is.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
End of Evangelion is both one of the best Japanese films of all time, and one of the best films of the 1990s.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

End of Evangelion is both one of the best Japanese films of all time, and one of the best films of the 1990s.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
using "problematic" to describe subject matter rather than meaning makes the term useless. what you're describing at that point is just hand wringing about obscenity, and skipping the more important work of understanding theme and message.

e: softened this a little, i'm more annoyed by the general phenomenon than any particular person

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 21, 2019

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Certainly better than Titanic. Speaking of which

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFFX45iAZxw

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

lets hang out posted:

Well I didn't get to have that argument 20 years ago, and you can't take this chance away from me :colbert:

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

Endorph posted:

what if i told you that it had, given how often people talk about how serious and artful utena is and barely ever mention the comedy, or kinda just ignore the movie

Where is the 190 page long Utena thread?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

CharlestheHammer posted:

You don’t have to read it, hosed up I know

I don't want to but everyone itt is too busy reposting usenet's greatest hits to answer my question

lets hang out posted:

Is ep 16 any better looking

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

Where is the 190 page long Utena thread?
in your heart

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

Sure. But if you think these people are not predisposed to enjoying Eva because it's old and weird, why would you possibly recommend them EoE? My previous contextless youtube clips suggestion would unironically be far better for that purpose than this utterly bizzare "watch a bunch of newer movies purely so you can go back to this old and weird movie" plan.

Because EOE isn't made like a old Japanese TV show, it's a film and it knew it was going to reach an audience beyond Japan. It doesn't include most of the stuff that makes me think certain people might not actually want to watch the TV show. And it's such a fun, crazy, surreal thing to watch that I think it's a drat shame that anyone might skip it because they feel like they NEEEEED to watch 10 hours of 90's anime just to enjoy it. They don't really. It helps but like.......not as much as you might think.

And, more heresy here, I think the first two rebuild movies are fantastic re-do's of those TV episodes. So fantastic that I'm not bothered at all if someone wants to watch those instead of the show.

And then whatever you have to do to go from Rebuild->EOE, do it. At that point, yeah I guess you might as well just watch the show if you're still into it.

Expect My Mom posted:

I don't understand why you're so adverse to letting people experience all of that. Like whatever, maybe they won't like it, and that's fine. Don't try to lead them through Evangelion like you're their seeing eye dog.

I'm not adverse to letting people experience the whole thing, go ahead if you want to. I'm just saying if the entire series and all the movies seems too daunting? Go ahead and take some shortcuts, it's not going to be that much worse. Again: an opinion.

Expect My Mom posted:

Recommending someone Evangelion is like taking your best friend or your partner back to your small hometown, and it's awkward where you have to go "Yeah I know it's weird and I'm glad I left here but this is what it is", but don't lie to them about what it is.

I 100% agree, I'm telling that person you don't have to go through every single room of my old highschool, we can just check out these 5 landmarks and get a burger at this one place and you'll pretty much get it.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

CharlestheHammer posted:

My point is that people react way worse to that scene then anything in the series

Truuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuue

but to me it's more of a necessary scene that's about Shinji and how he's hosed in the head than, say, a gratuitous panty shot or a gag where he falls over onto Rei's boobs. It's a psycho-sexual shock instead of cheesecake.

It's easier to explain why it's in there than the other poo poo.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean the movies aren’t really necessary and honestly I would only recommend them if you see the original and want more

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its more like youre taking someone to a burger restaurant and telling them to eat the bottom bun, the lettuce, a hot dog, and then a second, different burger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
"pretty much get it"