Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Episode 58. What the heck did the last 7 seconds of that episode mean?! Don't answer, that. The episode seemed pretty straight forward and then BAM! That last line.
Time is a flat circle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Episode 58. What the heck did the last 7 seconds of that episode mean?! Don't answer, that. The episode seemed pretty straight forward and then BAM! That last line.

:allears: I am so, so glad we've finally gotten to this point animated.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Anonymous Zebra posted:

The only explanation I can imagine that doesn't involve time travel is that the memories shared by the people of Ymir don't necessarily go one-way, and the Coordinate connects even to the past, so Eren could see Eren's memories, but also lacked context to understand what they meant. Meanwhile, Grisha had no way to know about them at all since he wasn't the Attack Titan yet.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
After this episode, you should go back and read/watch chapter 1.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Blaze Dragon posted:

The only explanation I can imagine that doesn't involve time travel is that the memories shared by the people of Ymir don't necessarily go one-way, and the Coordinate connects even to the past, so Eren could see Eren's memories, but also lacked context to understand what they meant. Meanwhile, Grisha had no way to know about them at all since he wasn't the Attack Titan yet.

ADTRW > Attack on Titan Season 3[?] - So Eren could see Eren's memories

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Well at least now I understand the first episode title

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
The thing I really love about this show is how it keeps pulling swerves on me without seeming gimmicky.

Like I was absolutely sure after that week's reveal that I finally had a handle on the plot but nope, weird poo poo is still afoot.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Imagine four balls on the edge of a cliff. Say a direct copy of the ball nearest the cliff is sent to the back of the line of balls and takes the place of the first ball. The formerly first ball becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth falls off the cliff.

Titans work the same way.

Exia
Feb 12, 2014

Anonymous Zebra posted:

The thing I really love about this show is how it keeps pulling swerves on me without seeming gimmicky.

Like I was absolutely sure after that week's reveal that I finally had a handle on the plot but nope, weird poo poo is still afoot.

That’s one of my favorite parts of reading the new chapters each month. Just when you think you’ve got it all figured out, BAM! Isayama throws a major curveball at you, and the best part is that it all comes together narratively. Each surprise is built upon something already given to us and we simply didn’t see it since we lacked all the pieces.

Where the series is now is a long way from where it was when it started, and I cannot wait to see how it all ends

Catalina
May 20, 2008

SpartanIvy posted:

Imagine four balls on the edge of a cliff. Say a direct copy of the ball nearest the cliff is sent to the back of the line of balls and takes the place of the first ball. The formerly first ball becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth falls off the cliff.

Titans work the same way.

All right buddy, this post made me laugh my rear end off. I'm gonna need you to pick the forums gift certificate you want from here.

(except the Smilie one. I've still gotta buy more AoT manga next month. A really loving good AoT smilie is probably an exemption to this rule.)

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Ok, dumping some logic here.

Eren was able to control the titans when he touched Dina, and the message essentially went out through her. We saw the other titans become controlled, and we saw the shifters hear it but keep their independence. Clearly it was intended for titans, but three humans also heard it.

We also saw that the royal family (as humans) has the ability to control human memories in some manner, not limited to touch, but have not seen any evidence of them using their power as humans to control titans.

Does this mean that the form of the royal person giving the order determines who will obey it? This could account for why the shifters could hear Eren via Dina (because they had titan bodies), but didn't have to obey (because they were human inside). Or maybe the shifters are immune because they're both titan and human? Could Frieda have commanded the human Grisha? Did she even try?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Catalina posted:

All right buddy, this post made me laugh my rear end off. I'm gonna need you to pick the forums gift certificate you want from here.

(except the Smilie one. I've still gotta buy more AoT manga next month. A really loving good AoT smilie is probably an exemption to this rule.)

Haha I appreciate it but I've got every forum upgrade. Donate :fivecbux: to Lowtax's spine fund instead.

I would attempt to make an AoT smilie but I don't even know what it would be.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
I love this part of the story and the episode was very well executed, but I have a some words to say given how they cut the Owl's and Grisha's conversation a little short here; in the manga, the Owl points out that Ymir couldn't have been the saint that the old texts he handed to the Restorationists portrayed her as. Paraphrasing: "She brought nothing but wealth and prosperity, with this power? Does that sound like a real person to you?". On the same beat, he also points out that if Eldia had engaged in the ethnic cleansing of other peoples for 1,700 years then there wouldn't be any Marleyans alive today (let alone a historically contiguous nation of Marley to rise up and become a world power within a few years of the Eldian Empire collapsing).

This is segued into from his assertion that there's no "truth" (because time and circumstance has denied them the chance to ever uncover it), and informs more firmly that he's taken the empirical view he posited - that Ymir must've been just a girl who came upon a power that defies current human understanding. "Anyone can become a God or a Devil" and its obvious corollary, that both Gods and Devils are in the end just people, have long been running themes of the series.

It's not much, but I believe the full exchange serves to flesh out this character more, and the rapport he establishes with Grisha; at the end of his life he had abandoned his desire for vengeance, as well as any illusions that his actions were in pursuit of some greater destiny or the revival of some forgotten glorious history. The mission he has Grisha inherit is then taking on the responsibility of protecting and restoring the dignity of their people, not out of hatred for their enemies, nor for glory, but for sympathy to their plight. For love. It's why he tells Grisha he must find something to love within those walls.

It's why, many years later, Grisha tells his young son he'll show him what's in the basement "once you've realized what's most important."

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Conspiratiorist posted:

I love this part of the story and the episode was very well executed, but I have a some words to say given how they cut the Owl's and Grisha's conversation a little short here; in the manga, the Owl points out that Ymir couldn't have been the saint that the old texts he handed to the Restorationists portrayed her as. Paraphrasing: "She brought nothing but wealth and prosperity, with this power? Does that sound like a real person to you?". On the same beat, he also points out that if Eldia had engaged in the ethnic cleansing of other peoples for 1,700 years then there wouldn't be any Marleyans alive today (let alone a historically contiguous nation of Marley to rise up and become a world power within a few years of the Eldian Empire collapsing).

This is segued into from his assertion that there's no "truth" (because time and circumstance has denied them the chance to ever uncover it), and informs more firmly that he's taken the empirical view he posited - that Ymir must've been just a girl who came upon a power that defies current human understanding. "Anyone can become a God or a Devil" and its obvious corollary, that both Gods and Devils are in the end just people, have long been running themes of the series.

It's not much, but I believe the full exchange serves to flesh out this character more, and the rapport he establishes with Grisha; at the end of his life he had abandoned his desire for vengeance, as well as any illusions that his actions were in pursuit of some greater destiny or the revival of some forgotten glorious history. The mission he has Grisha inherit is then taking on the responsibility of protecting and restoring the dignity of their people, not out of hatred for their enemies, nor for glory, but for sympathy to their plight. For love. It's why he tells Grisha he must find something to love within those walls.

It's why, many years later, Grisha tells his young son he'll show him what's in the basement "once you've realized what's most important."

Yeah found it odd that those lines were cut. They built a lot of character to Kruger.

Also yeah the Eldian Empire likely did bad things like pretty much every Nation in History, but no doubt they were not the devils Marley states they were.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jun 24, 2019

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
Man its morbidly poetic that Grisha had to "find someone to love inside the walls". His duty was to literally pass on memories that way. Glad to see that Eren is actually a chip off the ole' block.

There's a time limit now. :( I was so sure after they introduced titan shifters and spinal serum that the titan powers were the result of some super advanced medical research but it looks like it is still all magic super powers. I don't think that's a bad thing though, this mix of science and magic is probably the best way the story could have turned out. I like this cosmic connection angle.

Oh! And I love how we're starting to come full circle on some things. I remember in the first season, every time we saw them going to military court, everybody was just losing their poo poo. In this episode we have the poo poo machine dude and Hange just nonchalantly saying that there's a whole world outside the walls, everyone has the power to become a titan, and the entire outside civilization wants them dead. No one bats an eye. This is just what happens nowadays I guess.

So about "to you, 2000 years from now"; Eren seems to wake up at the age of 8-10 or so having had a founding titan vision. I guess the founding titan can just force that poo poo into people?

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
It's definitely a shame those lines were cut, they really emphasized how every version of history that's been presented is just self-serving propaganda for whoever is telling it.
Also missing from the conversation is Kruger explaining how Marley only continues to keep Eldians around in internment zones because they are an exploitable military resource to be turned into Titans and used as weapons.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Not mine, but real good:

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Those final seconds was the best twist I've seen in anything since The Sixth Sense. That was the last thing I expected the Owl to say.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Anonymous Zebra posted:

The moment that line happened, I instantly thought of Raiden from Mortal Kombat. Someone's trying to change history by sending a message back through time.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Beefstew posted:

Not mine, but real good:

lol goddamn

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Beefstew posted:

Not mine, but real good:

Oh god that's good

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Beefstew posted:

Not mine, but real good:

gently caress I'm dead.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

On the topic of cut lines, they also left out Kruger telling Grisha that his father was a smart man, because he put protecting his remaining family over everything else, and that his son learned nothing from him. A crying shame becasue drat, that's a powerful kick in the balls.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

So unless I'm mistaken, there should only be 8 titan shifters, right? Since Eren is both the Attack (on) Titan and the Founding Titan.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Tir McDohl posted:

So unless I'm mistaken, there should only be 8 titan shifters, right? Since Eren is both the Attack (on) Titan and the Founding Titan.

Correct, and of those 8 one remains unrevealed.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Essentially, yes. Eren possesses two of the Nine Titans so there are only seven other Titan shifters out there.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Mountaineer posted:

Also missing from the conversation is Kruger explaining how Marley only continues to keep Eldians around in internment zones because they are an exploitable military resource to be turned into Titans and used as weapons.

That's pretty obvious given the reveal of they have to keep refreshing their hold on the titan powers every 13 years

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I wonder what happened to the poor bastard that let the attack titan die without getting it passed on.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

There's hosed up implications to the rule about a baby getting the power if a shifter dies too.

That baby gets born with nightmare-fuel memories, and either dies at 13 from the curse or gets eaten by a titan. Unless they have to get an injection before the special titan is activated.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Donnerberg posted:

There's hosed up implications to the rule about a baby getting the power if a shifter dies too.

That baby gets born with nightmare-fuel memories, and either dies at 13 from the curse or gets eaten by a titan. Unless they have to get an injection before the special titan is activated.

That's...huh. I'm going to think about that.

Edit: How many of the shifters actually know about the 13-year rule? It seems like the sort of thing you might want to keep under wraps.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

I suppose all the shifters would eventually know about the 13 year rule thanks to memories.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
Since Eren has two Titans, does that mean he has half as much time?

He was getting nosebleeds for this last couple Titan transformations just like the Owl did.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
He got a nosebleed the first time he transformed as well

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Maybe the 13 year rule is from your first time turning into a titan. So someone born with it doesn't have to worry until it's activated.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!

Sindai posted:

After this episode, you should go back and read/watch chapter 1.

Heh this is from near the start of chapter one

He has been planning time fuckery since chapter 1

Also when we first meet eren he says why mikasa's hair is so long, and he has no idea why he is crying. Although this should be even before he even got the attack/coordinate titan, so how does that even work?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Captain_duck posted:

Heh this is from near the start of chapter one

He has been planning time fuckery since chapter 1

Also when we first meet eren he says why mikasa's hair is so long, and he has no idea why he is crying. Although this should be even before he even got the attack/coordinate titan, so how does that even work?

the ability for eldians to transmit information clearly operates outside of causality, so why should eren's knowledge of it be bound to causality either?

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

The last episode of the show is Eren logging out of the Assassin's Creed Animus.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
It must really suck to have to draw those walls every panel they appear in.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX1JTBoE6aw

I haven't followed the manga since Historia became queen, and I haven't followed the anime past season 1. This makes me almost want to jump back in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Stop spoiling yourself and whether anime or manga, jump back in.