Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

how good are conures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
gently caress yeah conure snype

Terror Ninja
Oct 23, 2008
And now smug look of satisfaction...

:trumpsmug:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Terror Ninja posted:

And now smug look of satisfaction...

:trumpsmug:

Oh mah Gawd. :3:

What camera is that?

Terror Ninja
Oct 23, 2008
Galaxy s9+, pretty good camera for a phone.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Wow. I still use my nearly five year old IPhone 6s Plus and it blows my mind. I cannot comprehend a cell phone camera being as good as yours!

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Captain Log posted:

Wow. I still use my nearly five year old IPhone 6s Plus and it blows my mind. I cannot comprehend a cell phone camera being as good as yours!

:lol: I use an iPhone SE (same camera as a 5s) and it's so bad but I love this phone so much.

Also I got something for yall
https://www.etsy.com/listing/531244466/3-hanging-bird-keychain-greencheek?ref=related-2
https://www.etsy.com/listing/547405038/3-hanging-bird-keychain-cockatiel?ref=related-2

There are budgies and Greys too!

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
loving lol: https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/575906857/pigeon-nest-eggs-cushioned-mousepad?ref=shop_home_active_1&crt=1

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
e: never mind, turns out my first post in this thread long ago was of me asking the same question.

As a non-bird owner, let me just say I love this thread and all your birbs. :allears:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

:lol: I use an iPhone SE (same camera as a 5s) and it's so bad but I love this phone so much.

Also I got something for yall
https://www.etsy.com/listing/531244466/3-hanging-bird-keychain-greencheek?ref=related-2
https://www.etsy.com/listing/547405038/3-hanging-bird-keychain-cockatiel?ref=related-2

There are budgies and Greys too!

thanks a lot for the link rear end in a top hat, I just got one :derptiel:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

MisterBibs posted:

e: never mind, turns out my first post in this thread long ago was of me asking the same question.

As a non-bird owner, let me just say I love this thread and all your birbs. :allears:
MisterBirbs

Potato Salad posted:

thanks a lot for the link rear end in a top hat, I just got one :derptiel:
:laugh:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Mealworms and crickets and other bugs you buy from pet stores should be fine for parrots to eat (in moderation of course). Regular ol' bugs you find lying around would be a definite no. They might be bad for your bird just because of what bug they are, and even if they're in theory non toxic, there's a good chance they are full of agricultural pesticides if you live out in the country or domestic pesticide if you live in a built up area. Same reason you shouldn't let your pet cat eat mice it kills. A slow lazy mouse a cat can catch is likely to be a sick mouse full of mouseicide.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Man, it happened three weeks ago and I've mostly made peace but my god I really miss my yellow budgie. I miss just snapping my fingers and having him magically spawn and perch on my finger. I miss his silly songs and his constant bobbing. He was such a good little friend. :(

I love Pesto but I'm afraid he doesn't love me quite as much, I'm hoping he comes around.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

He probably will. Birds are all different so nothing is a guarantee but just keep patient and it's more likely than not that he'll be a good little friend too.

The nice thing about budgies is that the absolute best part about them doesn't require them to be hand tame, that glorious adorable burbling :kimchi:

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Once he realizes he can use the giant featherless ape thing for locomotion instead of flying, it's all over.

:birdthunk: TO THE BATHS, SLAVE. I AM BECOMING MALODOROUS.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Man, it happened three weeks ago and I've mostly made peace but my god I really miss my yellow budgie. I miss just snapping my fingers and having him magically spawn and perch on my finger. I miss his silly songs and his constant bobbing. He was such a good little friend. :(

I love Pesto but I'm afraid he doesn't love me quite as much, I'm hoping he comes around.

It's only been three weeks, that's no time at all so of course you're still grieving for Banane. I'm sure Pesto'll be a different but equally good friend to you in a little while :unsmith:

(Unless he's actually a stuffed toy - he really really looks like an adorable tiny little toy budgie in that last photo)

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Alright let's see if I did this right. I have several more pictures if this works.

This my avocado Sinbad. It is very hard to get a picture where his feathers aren't ruffled because as soon as he notices a camera he goes starry-eyed and dearly wants to get up in it.

SuperKlaus fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 24, 2019

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

SuperKlaus posted:

Alright let's see if I did this right. I have several more pictures if this works.

This my avocado Sinbad. It is very hard to get a picture where his feathers aren't ruffled because as soon as he notices a camera he goes starry-eyed and dearly wants to get up in it.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

:kimchi:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

"Colt 45 and 2 zig zags
Baby thats all we need"

:birddrugs:

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

SuperKlaus posted:

I love him!

and I love that singing cockatiel

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I have not yet gotten to the point where Senegal pictures bring me deep pure joy the way GCCs do, but dang if that bird's not god drat excellent

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I saw a fruit salad at the pet store today, and I really don't have capacity for more birds. I should visit it again tomorrow.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the praise. He'd love to know. Here are more pictures illustrating how it's tough being his agent when he won't pose for a headshot right.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

SuperKlaus posted:

Thanks for the praise. He'd love to know. Here are more pictures illustrating how it's tough being his agent when he won't pose for a headshot right.

I mean both of these are perfect...

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

SuperKlaus posted:

birb.jpg

:3:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

SuperKlaus posted:

loving lol

Charlemagne is still working on developing his personality, he spent a lot of time alone in the past and was a pretty reserved bird when I met him. He's come out of his shell over the last year and really started flourishing in the, wow, it's only been a month, since we moved apartments. I get the impression he spent the last year waiting for the other shoe to drop, and now that he's moved a second time in my/Amadeus's company he is all-in on being part of the family.

He acts way more birdlike, dismantling anything he can get his beak on, lying on his back to fight with foot toys, flying after me to ride around on my shoulder if I try to leave the room without him. It's super cute.

Typically when I get home from work I greet Ama first and let him out, and then greet Charlie and do the same. Yesterday I got home, greeted Ama and let Ama out, then got him clean water for a bath, then set him on his playgym where he asked for scritches and then received them, and then went to Charlie after the Prince of Everything was finally satisfied.

Y'all ever seen a bird with hurt feelings? He got all skinny when I reached in to offer my hand and turned his head away and made his whiny "I am so alone" sound. It took like twenty seconds for him to forgive me and start asking for some scritches of his own. I felt so bad :lol:

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jun 24, 2019

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

I made the mistake of giving Mochi a tray full of (cleaned purchased) pebbles to forage for treat seeds in and now when it's been empty too long or he's displeased he starts picking up and carrying them to drop over the side of his cage and do a big clang in the seed catcher. Bird.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

SuperKlaus posted:

I think you'll find that he nailed those poses.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

loving lol

Charlemagne is still working on developing his personality, he spent a lot of time alone in the past and was a pretty reserved bird when I met him. He's come out of his shell over the last year and really started flourishing in the, wow, it's only been a month, since we moved apartments. I get the impression he spent the last year waiting for the other shoe to drop, and now that he's moved a second time in my/Amadeus's company he is all-in on being part of the family.

He acts way more birdlike, dismantling anything he can get his beak on, lying on his back to fight with foot toys, flying after me to ride around on my shoulder if I try to leave the room without him. It's super cute.

Typically when I get home from work I greet Ama first and let him out, and then greet Charlie and do the same. Yesterday I got home, greeted Ama and let Ama out, then got him clean water for a bath, then set him on his playgym where he asked for scritches and then received them, and then went to Charlie after the Prince of Everything was finally satisfied.

Y'all ever seen a bird with hurt feelings? He got all skinny when I reached in to offer my hand and turned his head away and made his whiny "I am so alone" sound. It took like twenty seconds for him to forgive me and start asking for some scritches of his own. I felt so bad :lol:

you monster

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
With Wandy, I had to travel to a funeral out of state and left her with a friend.

When I came back and got Wandy, I let her out once I got in the room. She slowly walked up to the top of her cage, turned her back to me, and made a "Warmp!" noise, and just sat there floofing. Her face was about one millimeter from the wall she was facing. She did that for five minutes, figured I had learned my lesson, and came back to me demanding scritches.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Scout has been home since Saturday, and it's too soon. We are not able to be around enough to give her the care she needs right now, and she has had a couple of incidents in only the two days she's been home where she has freaked out on her own due to some stress or pain related reason. We don't want to risk her hurting herself or worse while we're not there, so she will be going back to Night Owl hospital.

We aren't happy about this but it's the best decision for her right now.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

mikerock posted:

Scout has been home since Saturday, and it's too soon. We are not able to be around enough to give her the care she needs right now, and she has had a couple of incidents in only the two days she's been home where she has freaked out on her own due to some stress or pain related reason. We don't want to risk her hurting herself or worse while we're not there, so she will be going back to Night Owl hospital.

You're doing what's best for Scout. I bet it really sucks right now, but don't beat yourself up over it.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Captain Log posted:

You're doing what's best for Scout. I bet it really sucks right now, but don't beat yourself up over it.

I know.

I am out of town for work for the summer, and my wife is home with her. Scout's out and trying to be cuddly when she's home, but she'll be left home alone a lot and it just isn't safe or fair to her at this point. She wants to be with us, but it's not the right time. I am just worried that she won't recover to the point where it ever will be. Breaks my old man stone heart it does. I don't even want to bring it up with my wife but I know she's thinking it too.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Well, weird guy in Portland is thinking of you. Hang in there.

Serra just accidentally got cream cheese on her beak and started acting like Homer Simpson having a freak out. While it was laugh out loud funny, I didn’t want her to hurt herself. I had to grab her, hold her still, and wipe off her beak.

What did she then immediately do? Try to eat more. :derptiel:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I'm so sorry, mikerock. I know you and your wife are doing everything you reasonably can.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Before and After, Birb Consequences Edition -

Before : Stop it, Serra. You're going to get cream cheese beak!

After : Serra, you got cream cheese beak. Don't put your crest up, this is your fault.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

mikerock posted:

you are good birdparents and doing the best you can for scout, she is lucky to have folk like you taking care of her

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I have not yet gotten to the point where Senegal pictures bring me deep pure joy the way GCCs do, but dang if that bird's not god drat excellent

following sun conures of instagram was the worst decision i ever made, so many good birds out there

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
One of the worst parts about owning pets is how you can't really explain the bad stuff that needs to be done to them. I'm sorry, mikerock, and I hope after the summer Scout can come back home and birb with your family once more. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

You do what's best for all of you Mikerock - I don't think there's anyone in the thread who doesn't understand and sympathize with how tough these choices are.