Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

cargohills posted:

Any other Hideaki Anno recommendations (aside from Shin Godzilla)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-840keiiFDE

Here’s what he worked on in college that may or may not have led to him being expelled or drop out of Osaka U and co-founding Gainax

(Skip the first two minutes)

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jun 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Zeruel posted:

phew, thank you kotaku, im saved.

That's such a sad article.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Y'know, considering everything that happened during the final season of TMNT (the infamous 'Red Skies' season), this doesn't seem too strange to me at all.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Midjack posted:

If that’s the new ending music then yikes.

It's from Kaguya-sama Love is War, a good anime (based on an excellent manga).

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
i wanna see pen pen pilot an eva and be totally the best at it

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Zeruel posted:

phew, thank you kotaku, im saved.

the more accurate article title is "I Have A Dumb Friend"

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
the most accurate title for kotaku stuff is "current popular thing? why not be contrary!"

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Console Role Player posted:

You should read it. At the end the writer casually drops how she goaded a friend in to physically attacking another friend because they disagreed about a cartoon show.

Ho Lee fuk, I thought you were joking. But no, she straight-up had someone in Judo throw somebody just to make a point about anime. That's not something I would proudly boast.

Anyway, am I alone in thinking the new character introduced in 2.22 you can (not) advance is utterly forgettable and literally serves no purpose?

I can't even be arsed to look up her name.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Mari.

And there's a 1/10 of a second shot of someone that looks exactly like her with Yui and/or Gendo in the Gehrein days so there was supposed to be some mystery drop with her.

But gently caress knows if that'll ever happen.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
It was fun that we didn't know much about her and in her like, second scene she's like "ahh poo poo its cold" when changing into her plugsuit to fight Zeruel and we get to see the 16-odd year old's boobs jiggle in her plugsuit.

Thanks Khara.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Zeruel posted:

It was fun that we didn't know much about her and in her like, second scene she's like "ahh poo poo its cold" when changing into her plugsuit to fight Zeruel and we get to see the 16-odd year old's boobs jiggle in her plugsuit.

Thanks Khara.
I haven't seen any of the rebuild movies but I am 100% sure mari exists entirely as "we need another character to do creepy fanservice of so we can sell more merchandise"

hence the glasses

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mari has so far turned out to be kind of a disappointment. Anno said some things early on that indicated she was going to be a major player in some fashion, but she’s so far just been “Asuka with glasses.” I wouldn’t be surprised if she had a more significant part in the Rebuild 3 teased at the end of Rebuild 2 than she did in the Rebuild 3 that we got. We will see what happens in Rebuild 4.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
My headcanon is that someone at Khara really, really wanted a role for Maaya Sakamoto. And hell I can't blame 'em.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Another EoE scene (I think it's EoE, it might not) that's always stuck with me is when Shinji asks "Is it okay for me to be here?" only to be met with total silence and blackness and he just screams in horror

same dude

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Waiting for some awesome crazy like Mari is a Rei Clone with an actual Soul.

Nah, turns out it's just some kid from China NERV or US NERV or the pilot of Unit 3.

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

I wouldn't say she's just Auska with glasses but she does remind me of someone..

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Calling it now- Mari is a female clone of Gendo.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
I like Mari because she makes fans so irrationally upset. I imagine Anno likes her for the same reason.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Beefstew posted:

I like Mari because she makes fans so irrationally upset. I imagine Anno likes her for the same reason.
thats it, you've solved the mystery, congratulations

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Blaziken386 posted:

thats it, you've solved the mystery, congratulations

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
One of the things that made Mari how she is, is that Anno approached it by creating the bare minimum idea of what she should be himself then left everything else to be figured out by others. He did it deliberately that way so she felt like something alien to the original story and so she wouldn't be "another Anno character". She is 1000% an improvised on the fly kind of thing that changed constantly right up until the last minute, there was never any long term plan for her other than "she'll be important later".

(Yoshiyuki Sadamoto was the one who suggested Maaya Sakamoto)

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
I never know which sources are accurate concerning how the series was "meant" to end and which stories are totally apocryphal, but I always loved episodes 25 and 26 as the ending to the series.

They just work so well as endings for Shinji to me. Or rather, they're emotionally satisfying to me.

The other media since (whether originally intended or not) always seemed like needless padding out of a narrative that was never meant to make total sense anyway. I've never felt like EoE "concluded" anything to me. If anything it just raised further questions. Maybe I need to rewatch it.

Xander B Coolridge fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jun 25, 2019

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
All Eva supplementary materials just bring up more questions for the audience or provide fanservice.

Like the new series Evas in rebuild... more eva means more... eyes? arms? (just gonna toss away the whole implied mother-soul thing from the TV then? ok).

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I mean Daoist says you have two souls, hun and po. Some traditions say three hun and seven po.

Lotta souls to go around.

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012

Console Role Player posted:

You should read it. At the end the writer casually drops how she goaded a friend in to physically attacking another friend because they disagreed about a cartoon show.

loving yikes. Is everyone who writes for sites like kotaku a sociopath or something?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
With the exception of that one dood who's always on AAA's case about how they suck, yeah, pretty much.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Blaziken386 posted:

Most desktops set up in a different room aren't

One thing I like about TV's nowadays is their ability to connect to Wifi/LAN or Chromecast
It's pretty neat that I can access any music/movies on my PC via my big rear end TV in the main room. It's not a 200 foot floating 3D holo display though.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

ChaosArgate posted:

That song is probably one of the greatest OPs ever created, even to this day, so yeah I’m not sure who doesn’t have that “problem.” :v:

I decided to check out it out since it's been well over 10 years since I last watched anything Eva related. Honestly, I've grown a little sour on Eva over the years, and yet, I couldn't stop myself from humming along with this goddamn OP so :v:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Having rewatched the whole OG series I'm left with pretty much the same sorts of feelings I had the first time.

I feel like the first 6 episodes are extremely strong, in just about every way. The budget is there(obviously especially for the first 2 episodes), the emotional heart of the show is there, the editing is really good and it's paced in unexpected ways.
I was shocked to see recently that in a fan survey, episode 3 was one of the most disliked episodes. I think it's strong in general, but the climax I had thought would be... generally seen to be easily one of the best parts of the whole show? It's one of the places where NGE as a drama works the best.

Then there's just a whole lot of episodes I don't like very much at all. I think people online have already talked this to death but I really feel like so much of this middle chunk of the show just did not need to exist. I like Dance Like You Want to Win, but I can't help but feel like the show would have been stronger if everything up until 15 or 16 was gone. (And then most of what comes after that point is really strong again, with the exception of the last 2 episodes which are still good because they're audaciously weird and earnest.)

A lot of what I want dumped is dumped in rebuild. But then I also don't like rebuild either. It feels like some of what made NGE disinct is thrown away, and I really really dislike the 3d animation. It rubs me the wrong way constantly. I don't know if that makes me a grognard at 24 somehow but I gotta be honest about it. Everything looks plasticy and wrong, and at times I feel there are designs where they just stick a bunch of poo poo onto things for the sake of having something be more visually complicated. Ramiel isn't the worst case of this but I don't like how people praise new Ramiel over old. Yeah, the old one's look was a cost saving measure, but it worked well for what it was, and the new one strikes me as a mess of cgi. look at all this poo poo we can do with 3d, look at it change shape... isn't this really complicated? well, yeah, but is it good though?

Even just the shots of the EVAs running in the original series are so much more impressive to me than anything in rebuild. I don't know if that's a reasonable opinion or not. Oh well.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Jun 25, 2019

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
You're right in the regards that the hand-drawn Evas running looks far and away better than the 3D we have. Best example is the Eva Series vs Asuka fight, everything in motion there looks phenomenal.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

IronicDongz posted:

Having rewatched the whole OG series I'm left with pretty much the same sorts of feelings I had the first time.

I feel like the first 6 episodes are extremely strong, in just about every way. The budget is there(obviously especially for the first 2 episodes), the emotional heart of the show is there, the editing is really good and it's paced in unexpected ways.
I was shocked to see recently that in a fan survey, episode 3 was one of the most disliked episodes. I think it's strong in general, but the climax I had thought would be... generally seen to be easily one of the best parts of the whole show? It's one of the places where NGE as a drama works the best.

Then there's just a whole lot of episodes I don't like very much at all. I think people online have already talked this to death but I really feel like so much of this middle chunk of the show just did not need to exist. I like Dance Like You Want to Win, but I can't help but feel like the show would have been stronger if everything up until 15 or 16 was gone. (And then most of what comes after that point is really strong again, with the exception of the last 2 episodes which are still good because they're audaciously weird and earnest.)

You need the happy and fun middle to sell the abrupt, horrifying turn that Evangelion takes with Unit-03 and then Zereul, I think. I've been watching the series with someone who has come in completely blind and his reaction during the whole Toji bit was incredible. I think you lose something when you cut that out.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Perhaps, but I think it should at least be shorter. and without magma diver

all the interactions with shinji's classmates I'm fine with, but a lot of the "action arc" doesn't actually have that.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

You need the happy and fun middle to sell the abrupt, horrifying turn that Evangelion takes with Unit-03 and then Zereul, I think. I've been watching the series with someone who has come in completely blind and his reaction during the whole Toji bit was incredible. I think you lose something when you cut that out.

with anno's mid-series breakdown it's hard to tell how much is purposeful metaphor and how much is a man losing his loving mind live on tv

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Finished the main series and I really liked episodes 25-26, although I get how they’re super frustrating if you don’t know there’s a movie. Still, ended Shinji’s emotional arc incredibly well.

Everything from episode 18ish onwards was just loving awesome. My favourite scene is probably when Shinji’s unit goes completely nuts and eats the other angel/makes itself a new arm out of the angel one it cuts off. I’ll be happy if we get more about that in the movie. All the revelations were extremely good and mostly thematically rich.

Interesting they never actually state “Evas have their pilot’s mom’s souls in them” considering that’s such a big part of it that seemingly everyone knows but maybe that’s in the movie too.

Watched Death True Squared for completion’s sake but it didn’t seem to have anything new, seeing how Netflix has the director’s cuts of eps 21-24, but was still a decent refresher. Will update after EoE! I’ll admit I’m intrigued to see how we get from the mostly happy and life-affirming ending of episode 26 to what I know of the ending of EoE.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
the show is good the way it is, even with magma diver

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Argas posted:

I mean Daoist says you have two souls, hun and po. Some traditions say three hun and seven po.

Lotta souls to go around.

quote:

The ancient Egyptians postulated seven souls.

Top soul, and the first to leave at the moment of death, is Ren, the Secret Name. This corresponds to my Director. He directs the film of your life from conception to death. The Secret Name is the title of your film. When you die, that's where Ren came in.

Second soul, and second one off the sinking ship, is Sekem: Energy, Power, Light. The Director gives the orders, Sekem presses the right buttons.

Number three is Khu, the Guardian Angel. He, she, or it is third man out ... depicted as flying away across a full moon, a bird with luminous wings and head of light. Sort of thing you might see on a screen in an Indian restaurant in Panama. The Khu is responsible for the subject and can be injured in his defense-but not permanently, since the first three souls are eternal. They go back to Heaven for another vessel. The four remaining souls must take their chances with the subject in the Land of the Dead.

Number four is Ba, the Heart, often treacherous. This is a hawk's body with your face on it, shrunk down to the size of a fist. Many a hero has been brought down, like Samson, by a perfidious Ba.

Number five is Ka, the Double, most closely associated with the subject. The Ka, which usually reaches adolescence at the time of bodily death, is the only reliable guide through the Land of the Dead to the Western Lands.

Number six is Khaibit, the Shadow, Memory, your whole past conditioning from this and other lives.

Number seven is Sekhu, the Remains.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Escobarbarian posted:

Interesting they never actually state “Evas have their pilot’s mom’s souls in them” considering that’s such a big part of it that seemingly everyone knows but maybe that’s in the movie too.

Watched Death True Squared for completion’s sake but it didn’t seem to have anything new, seeing how Netflix has the director’s cuts of eps 21-24, but was still a decent refresher. Will update after EoE! I’ll admit I’m intrigued to see how we get from the mostly happy and life-affirming ending of episode 26 to what I know of the ending of EoE.
There's a large amount that's been inferred from interviews and supplemental materials, and to be honest at this point it has all blurred together and I could not tell you definitively where much of it was stated.

I actually really enjoy Death as far as a recap goes because its framing device is really interesting (I love the contemptuous snicker from Asuka as Rei walks in) and it's edited quite well; if you needed a primer before End of Eva if you had not watched the series in a while, it does a good job. It was the first place I ever heard Kanon so it's also what I will probably forever associate with that musical piece.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Magma Diver is a good episode because it shows more of Shinji and Asuka’s relationship with each other. Asuka keeps trying to get Shinji’s attention but he has no idea what to even do which leads to her frustration

Kosume Shezaki
Feb 23, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

There's a large amount that's been inferred from interviews and supplemental materials, and to be honest at this point it has all blurred together and I could not tell you definitively where much of it was stated.

I actually really enjoy Death as far as a recap goes because its framing device is really interesting (I love the contemptuous snicker from Asuka as Rei walks in) and it's edited quite well; if you needed a primer before End of Eva if you had not watched the series in a while, it does a good job. It was the first place I ever heard Kanon so it's also what I will probably forever associate with that musical piece.

I have to be honest, one of my favorite things currently is how much eva doesn't over explain go out of it's way to world build given how nitpicky modern fandom has become.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Magma Diver is a good episode because it shows more of Shinji and Asukas relationship with each other. Asuka keeps trying to get Shinjis attention but he has no idea what to even do which leads to her frustration

They both piss me the gently caress off but I can't help but feel awfully bad for them. I wish there'd be therapists in the post-3rd Impact world.