Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Sundae posted:

Just look for general trends and don't focus on the individual content of any one review. Also, ignore anybody who sounds batshit crazy. They probably are.

"Layoffs are constant and my boss is a bitch."

"Great place except for the layoffs. Some stability would be nice."

"Work life balance was great until my boss was replaced and now it sucks."

"Threat of layoffs ever looming, and the cafeteria stopped serving hummus."

"gently caress you gently caress your mother my boss A.B (YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE) backstabbed me and blocked my promotion they just want you to fail here."

Takeaway: Lots of layoffs and a reorg. Nothing else. :p

We really ought to teach critical thinking in high school. It’s amazing how much it’s allowed me to increase my pay (and get away with slacking off).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Ally lowered their rate .1% today booooooooo

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

spwrozek posted:

Ally lowered their rate .1% today booooooooo

And Wealthfront just raised theirs to 2.57%.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Is this AER/APY?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

literally this big posted:

And Wealthfront just raised theirs to 2.57%.
Looks like I'm switching to Wealthfront.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Anyone here actually have a Wealthfront savings account? There has to be a catch... constant upsells, some kind of restrictions, something.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

I'm looking on their website and nothing jumps out at me but I was planning to do a little digging here before I toss my money over the wall in the next few days.

This is in their fine print:

quote:

Cash Account is offered by Wealthfront Brokerage LLC (“Wealthfront Brokerage”), a member of FINRA/SIPC. Neither Wealthfront Brokerage nor its affiliates is a bank. The cash balance in the Cash Account is swept to one or more program banks where it earns a variable rate of interest and is eligible for FDIC insurance. FDIC insurance is not provided until the funds arrive at the program banks. FDIC insurance coverage is limited to $250,000 per qualified customer account per banking institution. Wealthfront Brokerage uses more than one program bank to ensure FDIC coverage of up to $1 million for your cash deposits. For more information on FDIC insurance coverage, please visit https://www.fdic.gov. Customers are responsible for monitoring their total assets at each of the program banks to determine the extent of available FDIC insurance coverage in accordance with FDIC rules. The deposits at program banks are not covered by SIPC.
I'm trying to decide whether or not I think there's any risk here.

Hoodwinker fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jun 26, 2019

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

Furia posted:

Is this AER/APY?
APY

https://www.bankrate.com/banking/wealthfront-raises-apy-again/

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Anyone here actually have a Wealthfront savings account? There has to be a catch... constant upsells, some kind of restrictions, something.
They're a robo-advisor, so my guess is it's a way to get people in the door. It's surely no coincidence that they raise their rate the same day Ally lowers theirs.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
What do I need to consider when deciding what to do with a 401k from an employer that I am leaving? I see the options are leave it, do a rollover IRA, roll it into the new employers plan, or cash it out. I obviously don't want to do the last one, and I'd kinda rather leave this with Vanguard instead of the new plan. I mean, I don't think it accumulates faster if it's in a bigger pile? Maybe I'm wrong about that.

So, what are the advantages or pitfalls between leaving it in my soon-to-be-ex employer's plan or rolling it over and leaving it in the rollover IRA?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Magnetic North posted:

What do I need to consider when deciding what to do with a 401k from an employer that I am leaving? I see the options are leave it, do a rollover IRA, roll it into the new employers plan, or cash it out. I obviously don't want to do the last one, and I'd kinda rather leave this with Vanguard instead of the new plan. I mean, I don't think it accumulates faster if it's in a bigger pile? Maybe I'm wrong about that.

So, what are the advantages or pitfalls between leaving it in my soon-to-be-ex employer's plan or rolling it over and leaving it in the rollover IRA?
The only problem is if they charge any kind of fee for leaving it there.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Magnetic North posted:

If your previous employer allows you to keep it there with all the same rates, expenses, etc, then there's no real harm in doing it if you like it. The only thing you'll have extra is remembering multiple logins, multiple forms, etc etc. No big deal. It's only a problem if they change the terms / costs for ex-employees, in which case you probably want to get it rolled over ASAP.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Hoodwinker posted:

The only problem is if they charge any kind of fee for leaving it there.

Sundae posted:

If your previous employer allows you to keep it there with all the same rates, expenses, etc, then there's no real harm in doing it if you like it. The only thing you'll have extra is remembering multiple logins, multiple forms, etc etc. No big deal. It's only a problem if they change the terms / costs for ex-employees, in which case you probably want to get it rolled over ASAP.

Where can I find that out? I couldn't find it on the plan's page on Vanguard's website. Do I just have to ask HR?

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

Hoodwinker posted:

I'm looking on their website and nothing jumps out at me but I was planning to do a little digging here before I toss my money over the wall in the next few days.

This is in their fine print:

I'm trying to decide whether or not I think there's any risk here.

It's just a cash sweep account, the Bank I work for offers one. The transit time may offer a little tiny bit of risk, but they should be sweeping everyday.
I wouldn't be worried about it since they're sweeping to FDIC insured FIs.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
My phone just pinged me a notification that I've been budgeting consistently since 7/1/2013. In that time my net worth has gone from -$35k to nearly over $124k, thanks for all the support BFC.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

My phone just pinged me a notification that I've been budgeting consistently since 7/1/2013. In that time my net worth has gone from -$35k to nearly over $124k, thanks for all the support BFC.

Hell yeah man! I started my thread in like 2011 or something. I went from -62k to now like 140k net worth. SA and BFC have immeasurably improved my life.

I also now have two BASIL plants, so winning on all fronts.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jul 2, 2019

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

tuyop posted:

Hell yeah man! I started my thread in like 2011 or something. I went from -62k to now like 140k net worth. SA and BFC have immeasurably improved my life.

I also now have two basil plants, so winning on all fronts.

:toot: Basil For Comrades indeed.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

tuyop posted:

I also now have two BASIL plants, so winning on all fronts.
I have eight little basil seedlings in my garden, can't wait for pesto harvest!!

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

moana posted:

I have eight little basil seedlings in my garden, can't wait for pesto harvest!!

You just grow BASIL out in the open??

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

First 100k is the hardest, it gets easier from here :)

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Grumpwagon posted:

You just grow BASIL out in the open??
I live in California where everything good is legal!* Also it's just basil, only my old hippie neighbor grows pot.

*Except fireworks and pet marmosets.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
What happened to the corporate thread?

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
Currently named Sharepoint 2019

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
I'll rename it later today. Suggestions?

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

tuyop posted:

SA and BFC have immeasurably improved my life.

Same. BFC has been the best financial advisor I could ever hope for.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

paternity suitor posted:

Same. BFC has been the best financial advisor I could ever hope for.

Yeah it's wild how good BFC was at turning my financials around. I'm debt free and saving for retirement! wheeeeeeeeee

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Spokes posted:

Yeah it's wild how good BFC was at turning my financials around. I'm debt free and saving for retirement! wheeeeeeeeee

Not every decision we've made has been optimal, or even good, but there's just so much everyday good advice that it bleeds in to even the stupidest decision-making.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
this is a random question but this week i found myself doing press interviews, this is completely out of my wheelhouse and is there anywhere i can get resources on how to do them better on the fly? i nailed 2 of them but the 3rd i kinda fumbled through a bit.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

sneakyfrog posted:

this is a random question but this week i found myself doing press interviews, this is completely out of my wheelhouse and is there anywhere i can get resources on how to do them better on the fly? i nailed 2 of them but the 3rd i kinda fumbled through a bit.

https://www.dalecarnegie.com/en/courses/public-speaking-mastery

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i mean if its is a deep dive on improvisation id look into it. normal public speaking is fine, its just the reactive curveball q and a that kinda threw me.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

sneakyfrog posted:

i mean if its is a deep dive on improvisation id look into it. normal public speaking is fine, its just the reactive curveball q and a that kinda threw me.

One key thing: if you don't like the question, don't accept the premise. Never be afraid to steer the conversation in a way that you want it to go.

I have no idea what you're talking about in these interviews though, so this is just general advice.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CelestialScribe posted:

One key thing: if you don't like the question, don't accept the premise. Never be afraid to steer the conversation in a way that you want it to go.

I have no idea what you're talking about in these interviews though, so this is just general advice.

It's goo general advice. Also, don't be afraid to answer a question you want to (that is on script) in response to one you didn't want to be asked. Yes, I get it feels weird, but just keep moving and it totally works.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
Man I hate it when people do that. It makes me wonder whether they're too dumb to understand the question or whether they have something to hide. So I just ask the exact same question again and it gets awkward.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Yep, that's exactly the game. People doing this to you are COUNTING you you being uncomfortable.

Reporters know it already and don't feel at all bad about the re-asking, but if it's low stakes they just move on because that was your "hint" you aren't answering it.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Listen to NPR interview a politician on their morning show with a viewpoint that makes them uncomfortable to say out loud. You will hear the exact example of the non-answer described above. In live 1 minute interviews the host generally cannot go back and restate the question unless it is particularly important or their real answer is particularly off putting.

Then listen to Terry Gross interview someone. She has a whole 30-60 minutes and it's edited from a recorded interview. She will drill down if you duck the question. If the person really doesn't want to answer you will see them work 3 different answers out. I don't have any examples off hand unfortunately.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Yeah, that's really a perfect example and I don't have exact clips to post either, but it's definitely that break between quick reporting and then long format reporting with a really good interviewer like Terry where you'll see her cut through that bullshit.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
And depending on how important this is - hire a pr firm to help you with talking to media. It is an unnatural skill. It really depends on what you're talking about and what you're struggling with in the questions. (Hard questions, poor interviewer, boiling down complex topics to short sound bites, etc.)

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
It was more impromptu and unplanned, and the interviewer was just kind of bouncing around from topic to topic fairly willy nilly and due to the variety of systems we do it just forced me to switch gears really quickly, while translating from highly technical into layperson. I mean yeah i suppose the answer at the end of the day is me getting gud, Its somewhat of a new thing for me as i have been in much more of an applications design and implementation role talking to fellow SMEs and nerds, than front facing to decision makers and stakeholders, as well as rando press.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
My experience with press interviews is that they will give you the questions ahead of time if you ask. If they refuse, they are already planning on making you look bad.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
2 of my interviews did and that was good to plan out my bullet points, the 3rd was from a foreign chamber of commerce for our home company and they just said "we are just asking about what your doing here and what you have going on" which turned into asking specific questions without really understanding what we do, it definitely didnt seem malicious just uninformed questions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

sneakyfrog posted:

"we are just asking about what your doing here and what you have going on" which turned into asking specific questions without really understanding what we do, it definitely didnt seem malicious just uninformed questions

Congratulations on passing audit :v: