Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

"I've read Nobel winners! Just, y'know, not the boring chapters. Mostly the ones where there are technically dragons."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

make brandon sanderson finish Bouvard et Pecuchet

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I skip the chapters about Ender’s brother when I reread Ender’s Game. He sucks.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Funny enough, I skipped 1/3 of the last rothfuss thing while I hate listened to it in traffic

skip all the sex goddess poo poo, absolutely nothing worthwhile there

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Patware posted:

does anyone reading books ever do this, ever, as an aside

what the gently caress

Well, clearly that reviewer does. But these books, they are sooooo good you can't miss anything

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Patware posted:

does anyone reading books ever do this, ever, as an aside

what the gently caress

The thing that finally convinced me that the Anita Blake books were too far gone was when I skipped a sex scene chapter for the next chapter to be a continuation of that selfsame sex scene chapter.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

PJOmega posted:

The thing that finally convinced me that the Anita Blake books were too far gone was when I skipped a sex scene chapter for the next chapter to be a continuation of that selfsame sex scene chapter.

Was that the book where it's literally 50 pages of setup, ~300 pages of various characters in one location in various states of loving and yelling at each other, and then 50 rushed pages of wrap up?

I forget which book it was, but yeah, definitely my last LKH.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Its hard to tell since you basically described the last 20 books or so.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Nah.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

It's too bad the software doesn't allow users to be banned from individual forums. From what I read BotLs main problems occurred in other forums.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Free BotL

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
i hope the spiderman thread is doing well

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Was that the book where it's literally 50 pages of setup, ~300 pages of various characters in one location in various states of loving and yelling at each other, and then 50 rushed pages of wrap up?

I want to say it was werehyenas where I finally gave up but I'm not sure. I was taking the trains around Europe using a 3g Kindle with pirated ebooks so I really have no way to go and check which one it even was. It's been more than a few years.

Was a shame, because I really enjoyed the first few as supernatural pulpy noir with a woman protagonist that wasn't all about which boy she'll choose.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
The nerds sleep soundly on their beds of lavender, knowing a sinister Finn won't whisper to them "all the things you love are devoid of artistic merit and you should do better"

Also that one dude he was forums stalking I guess.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

PJOmega posted:

I want to say it was werehyenas where I finally gave up but I'm not sure. I was taking the trains around Europe using a 3g Kindle with pirated ebooks so I really have no way to go and check which one it even was. It's been more than a few years.

Was a shame, because I really enjoyed the first few as supernatural pulpy noir with a woman protagonist that wasn't all about which boy she'll choose.

Werehyenas definitely ping my, "Oh gently caress, I definitely read about something like that once, so that might be it," sensors.

I remember when the early Anita Blake books were consciously chaste, and even when she and the vampire dude started fuckin' in like book 9, it was all about OMG CONDOMS and OMG CONSENT. And then allegedly LKH broke up with her husband, whom she allegedly based the fictional AB-verse werewolf off of, and started dating a short dude with a huge cock who she apparently based the were...tiiiiiger..? off of, and then things really went off the rails.

I tried to read her blog recently just for the lulz and it was merely sad.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
I've never heard of this woman or her books, but sounds like i didn't miss poo poo

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Werehyenas definitely ping my, "Oh gently caress, I definitely read about something like that once, so that might be it," sensors.

I remember when the early Anita Blake books were consciously chaste, and even when she and the vampire dude started fuckin' in like book 9, it was all about OMG CONDOMS and OMG CONSENT. And then allegedly LKH broke up with her husband, whom she allegedly based the fictional AB-verse werewolf off of, and started dating a short dude with a huge cock who she apparently based the were...tiiiiiger..? off of, and then things really went off the rails.

I tried to read her blog recently just for the lulz and it was merely sad.

Her husband at the time co-authored the first 6 or so books. Anita was based off her, and the werewolf she was dating was based off the husband.

They have a tumultuous divorce - I think because she cheated? This happens to be the turning point where Anita breaks up with the werewolf (who suddenly did a 180 personality shift into an inflexible rear end in a top hat that doesn't allow Anita to be polyamorous), and also when the books begin to include copious sex scenes. The author starts dating a new guy, and suddenly we're introduced to a wereleopard character that is based on him - Anita is careful to note that he is better in bed and better hung than the werewolf, and he's so masculine he's not threatened by polyamory and lets Anita sleep with around a dozen other men, despite the requirement that he not sleep with anyone else. This is also the point where Anita gains a magical superpower that requires her to have sex all the time but can basically do anything after loving, and most books after this point are 500 pages of lycanthropic sex to powerup for the final showdown in the last 20 pages, Dragonball Z style. This magical power also compels others to have sex with Anita but the author just sorts of shrugs off the idea of consent. At one point Anita rapes a 15 year old boy and we are told this is a good thing.

I've long since stopped reading the series, but my friend says the last few books are just the characters sitting around and dunking on her ex-husband for not being into MMMMMMMMMMMF scenarios and how polyamory saves all relationships.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Pretty good.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
God the LKH books are such a trainwreck, still astounds me how quickly they went off the rails.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

HIJK posted:

God the LKH books are such a trainwreck, still astounds me how quickly they went off the rails.

I've noticed them many times in the past, in bookstores, since I check for stuff by Peter F. Hamilton, because I obviously prefer my sex scenes to be endless repetitions of tiny insanely hot nymphomaniac 19-year-olds.

But I never read any of them because they just looked awful to me. Thanks for making me feel vindicated.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
Thanks @Dienes, that all tracks. It turns out I haven't thought about LKH for a while, so I forgot all the details. You've filled in the blanks, and...I can't say I'm grateful, but thx anyway?

HIJK posted:

Quickly and comprehensively. I mean, they were fairly lightweight urban fantasy to begin with, but they were serviceable. The use of relatively obscure folklore was cool (at age 15 or so), and I found some new stuff to read about through that. But when it went off the rails, woof, it took out an orphanage, a school for the blind, an old folk's home, caught fire, and spewed enough radioactivity to make the area uninhabitable for a dozen generations. Also, her blog is seriously amazing if you feel like reading something that makes you want to :psyboom:

I remember texting my friend after reading the first few chapters of one of the post-divorce-schism books in a B&N, and Anita was having a threesome with two of the vampires within the first 30 pages, and basically said, "ASHER, STICK IT IN MY BUTT," and now if I need to get my friend's attention, I send her that phrase. That's also the line where I put the book down and couldn't stop giggling for the rest of the day.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Dienes posted:

I've long since stopped reading the series, but my friend says the last few books are just the characters sitting around and dunking on her ex-husband for not being into MMMMMMMMMMMF scenarios and how polyamory saves all relationships.

Actually had a Friend/Acquaintance/objectively-awful-human-being who I had the displeasure of putting up with for a week a bit ago leap to defend LKH's latest books and attack anyone who spoke ill of them as being homophobic and queer bashing.

Was the first of many incidents that made me not want to ever be in the same room as said person.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
lmao, going to illegally download this poo poo to laugh at later

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Thanks @Dienes, that all tracks. It turns out I haven't thought about LKH for a while, so I forgot all the details. You've filled in the blanks, and...I can't say I'm grateful, but thx anyway?

Quickly and comprehensively. I mean, they were fairly lightweight urban fantasy to begin with, but they were serviceable. The use of relatively obscure folklore was cool (at age 15 or so), and I found some new stuff to read about through that. But when it went off the rails, woof, it took out an orphanage, a school for the blind, an old folk's home, caught fire, and spewed enough radioactivity to make the area uninhabitable for a dozen generations. Also, her blog is seriously amazing if you feel like reading something that makes you want to :psyboom:

Yeah - the early books have some really cool ideas with horrible execution. I loved the idea of a Neanderthal vampire that survived epochs into the modern age, impossibly powerful and hopelessly disconnected, and it turned out to be a wet fart.

I remember texting my friend after reading the first few chapters of one of the post-divorce-schism books in a B&N, and Anita was having a threesome with two of the vampires within the first 30 pages, and basically said, "ASHER, STICK IT IN MY BUTT," and now if I need to get my friend's attention, I send her that phrase. That's also the line where I put the book down and couldn't stop giggling for the rest of the day.

In one book she humblebrags about enjoying having her cervix hit (because lesser women can't take it), and then described the dimensions of someone's dick as literally those of a football. That was the point I put the book down.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

It still bums me out a little. The Anita Blake novels were fairly decent horror stories to start out with, I still remember the crime scene gross out game where the detectives were tossing viscera around like a baseball with some fondness. It showed that Anita had her limits and that she could push herself too far when she was being really stubborn while going for King’s “gross out” tactic.

And then a few books later we get All That.

pseudanonymous posted:

I've noticed them many times in the past, in bookstores, since I check for stuff by Peter F. Hamilton, because I obviously prefer my sex scenes to be endless repetitions of tiny insanely hot nymphomaniac 19-year-olds.

But I never read any of them because they just looked awful to me. Thanks for making me feel vindicated.

Tbh the LKH books are a decent laugh now in the same vein as My Immortal, you can always pick one up and have a giggle.

Dienes posted:

Yeah - the early books have some really cool ideas with horrible execution. I loved the idea of a Neanderthal vampire that survived epochs into the modern age, impossibly powerful and hopelessly disconnected, and it turned out to be a wet fart.

In one book she humblebrags about enjoying having her cervix hit (because lesser women can't take it), and then described the dimensions of someone's dick as literally those of a football. That was the point I put the book down.

The scene that still stands out in my memory is shortly after The Great Derailing where she finds the were wild cat or whoever had the first ultra long anime hair, and she had a paragraph long description of his dick that ended with comparing said dick to a Coca Cola bottle. iirc the football dick was in the same scene on a different guy or maybe it was the same dude? It was a while ago.

I was in my senior year of high school when picking that book up. It impressed upon me that if I ever write sexy scenes, I shouldn’t go into super detailed descriptions of anyone’s junk. It always comes out badly.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

You'd think it'd be easy for all these well-off authors to just gently caress in real life.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Dienes posted:

While not a vampire, DC has that character and some decent writers so...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vandal_Savage

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

While not a vampire, DC has that character and some decent writers so...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vandal_Savage

It seems like it would be impossible to be a criminal for like all of history. I mean if you were like a sociopath and just like killing people then maybe that but being like a thief or whatever, at some point you'd just buy some stocks.

But a recurring them of Vampire: the Masquerade was immensely powerful elders who had little understanding of modern humanity, though none were Neandertals because there were no Neandertals. Or maybe there were but no vampires anyway that long ago. The lore is contradictory and confusing.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

pseudanonymous posted:

It's too bad the software doesn't allow users to be banned from individual forums. From what I read BotLs main problems occurred in other forums.

His main problem was that he'd organize stalking and harassing (literally) for people just trying to enjoy their hobbies. I mean, beyond constantly making GBS threads up every forum.

Also I like how there's so much terrible sex stuff in Rothfuss's books and everyone is more willing to talk about Anita's Blake sex stuff instead.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Kchama posted:

Also I like how there's so much terrible sex stuff in Rothfuss's books and everyone is more willing to talk about Anita's Blake sex stuff instead.

Well she appears to actually want to write books at least, so

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
The Anita Blake sex horror is fascinating because there’s just so much of it. It follows general themes of group sex, gore, and BDSM, but it also tries to change things up so there’s usually something new to boggle at in the next book. LKH at least understands that she can’t just write the same thing over and over again. Anita Blake books also try to pair with a semi-coherent mystery so there is a secondary draw as well.

Rothfuss sex stuff is not nearly so interesting. It’s a passé fantasy about a protagonist who’s a virgin but is such a Gary Stu that he tricks professional sex havers into thinking he’s also a professional sex haver. The sex ninjas are super boring compared to Anita’s stable of men she’s abusing because the sex ninjas are boring flawless harem anime girls come to life and Anita’s stable is defined by their shared flaws. Rothfuss also completely fails to pair the harem anime sex ninjas with a semi decent plot, nothing happens Kvothe Part 2.

And also, LKH is just a better writer to hate read. Rothfuss is dumb and pedantic and still trapped at the high school fanfiction level. LKH is a master of the horror genre, just not in the way any sane author would want to be.

I have read way too many of these loving books, I am so sorry.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Kchama posted:

His main problem was that he'd organize stalking and harassing (literally) for people just trying to enjoy their hobbies. I mean, beyond constantly making GBS threads up every forum.

What other people said about Rothfuss vs Blake is true, but also I think we've covered the ground of the hilarious sex stuff vis a vis Kvothe. Rothfuss is like Ben Shapiro to me, I just am not sure I'll ever believe he's not a virgin, no matter how many kids he has.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

pseudanonymous posted:

Rothfuss is like Ben Shapiro to me, I just am not sure I'll ever believe he's not a virgin, no matter how many kids he has.

My wife (who is a doctor, did I mention that) has sex with me all the time, because I am a sex haver

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

HIJK posted:

The Anita Blake sex horror is fascinating because there’s just so much of it. It follows general themes of group sex, gore, and BDSM, but it also tries to change things up so there’s usually something new to boggle at in the next book. LKH at least understands that she can’t just write the same thing over and over again. Anita Blake books also try to pair with a semi-coherent mystery so there is a secondary draw as well.

Rothfuss sex stuff is not nearly so interesting. It’s a passé fantasy about a protagonist who’s a virgin but is such a Gary Stu that he tricks professional sex havers into thinking he’s also a professional sex haver. The sex ninjas are super boring compared to Anita’s stable of men she’s abusing because the sex ninjas are boring flawless harem anime girls come to life and Anita’s stable is defined by their shared flaws. Rothfuss also completely fails to pair the harem anime sex ninjas with a semi decent plot, nothing happens Kvothe Part 2.

And also, LKH is just a better writer to hate read. Rothfuss is dumb and pedantic and still trapped at the high school fanfiction level. LKH is a master of the horror genre, just not in the way any sane author would want to be.

I have read way too many of these loving books, I am so sorry.

Don't be. This is the exact kind of post I was trying to inspire by saying that.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
All according to keikaku...

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
I'm about 3/4 through the first book and I'm so sick of the academy stuff. It's just Harry Potter but worse, and that conversations between Kvothe and his One True Love are terrible. I want more Amyr and Chandrian and angels and demons and poo poo.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

Its Coke posted:

I'm about 3/4 through the first book and I'm so sick of the academy stuff. It's just Harry Potter but worse, and that conversations between Kvothe and his One True Love are terrible. I want more Amyr and Chandrian and angels and demons and poo poo.

well you dont sorry

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Its Coke posted:

Academy stuff and Kvothe being inducted into the Guild of Sex-Havers is literally 90% of the two books. The start of book two is literally a direct continuation of the stupid High School But Let's Say College Cuz It's More Adult Even Though Everyone Treats Him Like A High School Freshman That He Is Close To The Right Age For Instead Of A 15 Year Old In College.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Its Coke posted:

it doesn't get any better man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

ElGroucho posted:

it doesn't get any better man

they HAVE to resolve that poo poo at SOME point :gonk: