Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Hence the downspout in the middle of the image

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordofthefishes
Mar 30, 2008

01000111 01010010 01000101 01000101 01010100 01001001 01001110 01000111 01010011 00100000 01000110 01000101 01001100 01001100 01001111 01010111 00100000 01000011 01000001 01001110 01000001 01000100 01001001 01000001 01001110 01010011
Saw the downspout. Never before seen a gutter riddled with holes though.The bottom of the hole appears to be made out of chipboard and wtf is going on on the wall side?

lordofthefishes fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jun 29, 2019

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It took me halfway through that image before I realized I wasn't staring at someone's scrap wood pile.

Or I guess another way to look at that is, they found a use for their scrap wood pile! A very bad use.

stealth edit: seriously, how do you gently caress up a spiral staircase so badly that it doesn't have a central vertical support?

It has a central vertical support! See, it's so close to the edge that it's exposed on one step!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

lordofthefishes posted:

Never before seen a gutter riddled with holes though.

If your gutters overflow (because the geniuses didn't put enough downpipes in or put the downpipes at the flat spots) they hopefully drain through the holes instead of overflowing through the roof cavity.

The rest is all fuckup.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Synthbuttrange posted:

It has a central vertical support! See, it's so close to the edge that it's exposed on one step!

You cannot convince me that whatever that is is actually aligned with the local gravitational force vector.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
goddamn it spock its wood. stop making it all sciency

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

The gravitational force vector is out of alignment, but if we reverse polarity on the deflector dish we can generate a contained tachyon pulse to stabilize it until the county inspector gets here to condemn the whole thing.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Aight, I see I used too many fancy words for y'all's brains.

It's not straight up and down.

Is that plain enough for you? :v:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Aight, I see I used too many fancy words for y'all's brains.

It's not straight up and down.

Is that plain enough for you? :v:

It's apparently not plane enough for you.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Jaded Burnout posted:

It's apparently not plane enough for you.

Listen here bucko, if I wanted a plane I would have specified two vectors, like gravity and local magnetic north. Maybe throw in the direction of Earth's spin and get a nice little volume going, yeah, that sounds nice.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

local magnetic north

Is that the new kim and kanye baby?

The Peacock
Dec 3, 2010
Really crappy construction tale: https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/ontar...biUvoI1A8cyo7G4

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Pyroclastic posted:

I came across this on imgur last night, and felt it it needed sharing in here.

https://imgur.com/gallery/8B36Vch
[snip]
They sold it for $150k, more than double what they put into the land and materials. The update to the description said they had 'a lot' of reinspections.
I am not surprised that this is in Lynchburg. I am surprised that they got $150k for it, since $150k in Lynchburg will buy you this or this.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Jaded Burnout posted:

Is that the new kim and kanye baby?

lol

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

terrenblade posted:

Is there a good construction thread? I like this.

Art Deco design is always good my man

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
My house fan was on a dimmer, which obviously doesn't work to vary the motor speed. I finally got the ambition to replace it with a timer switch. Found the next level of crappy construction, no box... And using wing drywall anchors to hold it in. Delightful.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

StormDrain posted:

My house fan was on a dimmer, which obviously doesn't work to vary the motor speed. I finally got the ambition to replace it with a timer switch. Found the next level of crappy construction, no box... And using wing drywall anchors to hold it in. Delightful.

Power transmission lines are 13.8kV so, if you think about it, 120v is low voltage and needs no box. :shuckyes:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Hah!

Crappy homeowner tale, I got a remodel box and faceplate I forgot at Ace. Went to wire the switch and realized there is no neutral so my fancy timer won't work. Checked out my electrical tub to see if I had a switch and I did, along with a remodel box and faceplate. I could literally have done this project at any time with zero trips to the store.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

StormDrain posted:

Ehh, that's better than it being in a crappy box, just slap on an old work box, or is there something I'm missing?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Hey at least they used anchors.

Let me tell you about some ceiling lights in our house.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

StormDrain posted:

I could literally have done this project at any time with zero trips to the store.

Heresy!

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

StormDrain posted:

Get a flashlight and look closer. I bet you do have a box, it's just that it's pushed way in and barely attached to the stud.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

kid sinister posted:

Get a flashlight and look closer. I bet you do have a box, it's just that it's pushed way in and barely attached to the stud.

Look at whats its attached with though.There cant really be a box.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

fist4jesus posted:

Look at whats its attached with though.There cant really be a box.

You'd be surprised what POs over the decades have done to just make poo poo work.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

kid sinister posted:

Bahaha no. The cutout in the drywall was too small for a box, I had to enlarge it. The wire was unsupported up to the top plate of the wall to the fan above. That's why there was two drywall anchors to hold the switch in.

Surprisingly though for this house I've only found two things done poorly, it was owned by one family who did not update anything since '78 and then painted walls, new flooring and some new fixtures before selling. The other was an abandoned light switch in the old laundry room. The space was too small for a box between the studs so they gave up when building it. It was totally hidden by the jamb under a piece of painted cardboard.

protectionfault
Jun 28, 2019

MagusofStars posted:

Based on that disaster of wiring, anything that's labelled is probably wrong, but sure.

The three phase ended up all being labeled correctly except for one thing which was misspelled :colbert:

Actually didn't end up taking as long as I thought - maybe three hours. Turned out one of the 20A 110V branches is powering... a single florescent light.

Those circuit locator things are pretty cool

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

protectionfault posted:

The three phase ended up all being labeled correctly except for one thing which was misspelled :colbert:

Actually didn't end up taking as long as I thought - maybe three hours. Turned out one of the 20A 110V branches is powering... a single florescent light.

Those circuit locator things are pretty cool

You mean those little pen detectors or what?

protectionfault
Jun 28, 2019

Blindeye posted:

You mean those little pen detectors or what?

we used an older, 8-branch version of one of these that was loaned to us. It really, really helped. Just clipped in 8 circuits at a time and walked around with the little handheld doohickey and a notepad until you've checked everything, and then do the next 8.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Nah, he means a dedicated circuit mapping device that uses RF or magic or something to help map multiple circuits at a time. (I’ve heard of them but never looked into how they work. )

E: f, b.
E2: woo, those are pricey.

protectionfault
Jun 28, 2019

Darchangel posted:

(I’ve heard of them but never looked into how they work. )

I have used one now, and for all I know, it contains a very small wizard with a walkie talkie. It would explain the price. Some sort of RF magic like powerline ethernet, which I also do not understand.

edit: I guess it would contain two very small wizards with walkie talkies, now that I think about it.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Sick of capricious clients who proudly wear their ignorance on their sleeve? Don't put in for a contract at the new Berlin airport, a project where the decisions were made largely by a comittee of politicians:

Duzzy Funlop posted:

If you'd like to point and laugh at Germany some more, it's now looking like it's likely that the 2020 opening of the Berlin-Brandenburg airport (BER) will have to be postponed yet again, probably to 2022. If you haven't read anything about BER, it might surprise you to hear that it was originally scheduled to open in 2011, but the opening had to be delayed several times due to countless technical flaws. Germany's technical oversight agency had found more than HALF A MILLION technical flaws in its audit that caused the last significant delay a couple of years back.

To explain exactly how this could happen would take too long, so the tl;dr version is: BER was supposed to be the shiny jewel in European commercial air travel shown-off by the recently reunited Germany (yes, "recently", because that's how far back the planning goes), so the supervisory board was stacked with politicians that had no clue how to build an airport. What ensued was a comical amount of incompetence, stupidity, and corruption, it's all there. A perfect storm of stupid.

If you'd like to dive into the the specifics, read through the "construction progress" section on the BER Wikipedia page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berlin_Brandenburg_Airport#Delayed_opening_and_construction_flaws

A selection of my favorite items:
  • the entirety of the airport's 750 flight display boards have to be replaced due to reaching the end of their service life. If you're asking yourself "But the airport never opened, how could they reach the end of their service life without someone turning them on and running them for 7 straight years with simulated departure/arrival data?", you can figure out the answer
  • the fire detection system, which had been pivotal in the countless delays, was so far beyond hope of being redesigned/repaired, that the planning company at some point had employees with mobile phones at key points acting as a human early warning system. They decided the then-scheduled opening could be achieved by continuing this makeshift solution during the regular operation of the airport, so the inclusion of SEVEN HUNDRED HUMAN FIRE SPOTTERS was submitted in the official proposal to the authorities
  • the smoke removal system built into the airport's architectural layout is unique in that it doesn't vent the smoke through exhausts on the roof like every other system on the planet, because the designers "didn't like the aesthetics". Instead, a complex system of ducts was installed that would vent the smoke laterally, and then downward, through the loving basement beneath the airport before expelling it. If you're asking "doesn't that defy basic physics like the chimney effect?", you're right on the money
    Bonus-points if you're thinking "How could something that stupid have been designed and approved unless the guy designing it forged his credentials as an engineer, and his design was green-lit because it wowed the oversight board with it's impressive audacity?"
  • about 700km of cabling have to be replaced because the subterranean cable-ducts weren't water-proofed and have corroded away
  • the original architect, a literal noble, envisioned the plans with an absolute minimum of retail zones because "he didn't like shops", and the impact of this wasn't noticed until construction of the terminal was almost completed, so they had to add extra floors
  • the state-secretary of Brandenburg and member of the oversight board had been earning a full salary and pension for 5 years as airport head for an airport that had never opened
  • the only traffic the railway station is seeing is a train being circulated daily to "keep the air moving"
  • a spokesman for the planning company was fired for being "too honest" in an interview where he said that anyone making assurances regarding the opening date of BER is on drugs
There is so much more to read up on in that story, words don't really do it justice

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-48527308

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Some more choice facts from BER:

In anticipation of the opening, they've been running "phantom" operations at it for about two years now. They try to have the people actually do something that matters, like having them work off-site for the airports that are actually open, but a ton of people are running make-believe drills. Personell costs alone are upwards of 25 million monthly. Upkeep is about another 20 million.

Then there's a fun detail that could legit end the whole undertaking: around 40,000 plastic screw anchors were used in the lime-sandstone bricks to secure cable ducts, and while the use of the lime-sandstone bricks was already in violation of building code, the plastic screw anchors are both in violation of building code and fire safety regulations.

If no "legal" way to certify the anchors is found, uh...you have to dismantle the building

Acebuckeye13 posted:

oh my god I'm reading the attached wiki article and you forgot to mention that a whistleblower was loving poisoned

Also that even when the airport's completed, as designed it's now too small to take over the capacity of the three smaller airports it was supposed to replace.

this is the craziest thing I've read all week, what an insane loving rabbit hole.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jul 3, 2019

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Holy poo poo, that's an amazing sunk cost parable. They should have just dynamited the whole thing ten years ago.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Seriouspost: anyone who thinks Germans are capable of efficiency or organization have never worked with Germans on a large project. Even when they manage to make something smaller, anyone with any competence who isn't German can point out a few hundred glaringly obvious things that could easily be changed to improve both the process and the end product. They're just coasting on memories of old glories (and fraud).

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

Seriouspost: anyone who thinks Germans are capable of efficiency or organization have never worked with Germans on a large project. Even when they manage to make something smaller, anyone with any competence who isn't German can point out a few hundred glaringly obvious things that could easily be changed to improve both the process and the end product. They're just coasting on memories of old glories (and fraud).

Serouspost: iirc the dutch loving love miracle whip too

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I'm getting overtones of every time someone tries to convince people letting the state takeover control of Hartfield-Jackson from Atlanta would be an improvement.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Ashcans posted:

Holy poo poo, that's an amazing sunk cost parable. They should have just dynamited the whole thing ten years ago.
Don't worry, the politicians are way ahead of you, already considered this, and decided the sunk cost parable isn't a thing:

quote:

There were some who believed - as the scale of the problems emerged - that it would be best to abandon the new airport altogether and start again from scratch. Mr Delius was one. But he has changed his mind. "There's a point of no return," he says. "It's public money. If you spend it, you need to get something out of it."

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Jaguars! posted:

Sick of capricious clients who proudly wear their ignorance on their sleeve? Don't put in for a contract at the new Berlin airport, a project where the decisions were made largely by a comittee of politicians:

"Die Zukunft unseres Bezirks liegt in Zimpren."

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Jerry Cotton posted:

As someone who works with Germans, dear God yes, I've never dealt with a group of people so conservative before. An entire national franchise is clamoring over how something is a terrible idea and not working right, and the Germans insist we have to keep working with it, even as the delays get worse and worse by the week and month. A) because it's how things have always been done and B) because how dare the locals who actually engage with the customers and systems pretend they know better than us here at the top in Germany who are German.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

When I visited Germany I was blown away by the number of solar panels on the shaded sides of buildings while the shingle roofs were completely unused...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

insta posted:

When I visited Germany I was blown away by the number of solar panels on the shaded sides of buildings while the shingle roofs were completely unused...

God drat this kills me.