Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

this piece is great and the whole podcast has some excellent discussion about the show but one of the guys keeps pronouncing Asuka with emphasis on "a-SU-ka" and it bugs me. not quite as much as "Nth Children" but close

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

SHISHKABOB posted:

Does anyone have any idea what the hell Rei is reading here? It's in episode 9, the one after Asuka is introduced.

edit: https://wiki.evageeks.org/Theory_and_Analysis:Rei_Ayanami_(In-Depth)#Episodes_9_to_16 wow did you guys know you can just google things :shepface:

i only knew about this because my mom, who is a molecular biologist, happened to walk by when i was watching that scene and asked why people were studying rna transcription in my weird japanese cartoon

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

The REAL Goobusters posted:

This is true. I just still think it’s hosed up since Shinji (who is 14 years old btw) is suffering through some of the most intense mental trauma and this is what he’s told??

catching up with the thread, but i think it should be kept in mind that misato's response to shinji's grief at kaworu is probably heavily colored by her own personal history. someone also sacrificed their own life so she could live and then she went into a catatonic state for a couple of years, and she still can't wrap her head around why her father saved her, or let go of the survivors guilt. she's telling him to just accept things and move on without thinking about it because that's how she copes with an analogous situation.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/EvaMonkey/status/1146950627542601728?s=19

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
get on the loving alpaca shinji

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I wonder if my sackful of Evangelion figures from 2001 buried deep in the back of the closet are drastically increasing in value rn.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Origami Dali posted:

I wonder if my sackful of Evangelion figures from 2001 buried deep in the back of the closet are drastically increasing in value rn.

If the show does well on Netflix, they’ll eventually put out a braggy press release talking about how many people watched it. That’s how you’ll know.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

DC Murderverse posted:

this piece is great and the whole podcast has some excellent discussion about the show but one of the guys keeps pronouncing Asuka with emphasis on "a-SU-ka" and it bugs me. not quite as much as "Nth Children" but close

It's even more frustrating that he continues to do it after they halt the podcast and have a talk about the correct pronunciation of her name

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

The Netflix dub uses voices for Asuka’s mother and step mother that are too similar to one another and that causes some problems in episode 22.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Xander B Coolridge posted:

It's even more frustrating that he continues to do it after they halt the podcast and have a talk about the correct pronunciation of her name

I think the Waypoint podcast has more interesting discussion about the show, especially when it comes to how much Eva talks out of both sides of its mouth re: sexualization of 14-year-olds and also calling out Kaji for repeatedly sexually assaulting Misato while being the cool guy, but the Ringer podcasts win points for never making me say “please please please stop saying that name wrong” in futility. Not just with Asuka but also Futsuyuki.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Hi, I watched this whole show and EoE for the first time this week and I’m pretty sure I need a therapist now with how much I recognize myself in Shinji (and by extension 1990s Anno)

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
Another NGE success story!

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
god dammit those are so loving cute and fluffy I want all three

Luigi Thirty posted:

Hi, I watched this whole show and EoE for the first time this week and I’m pretty sure I need a therapist now with how much I recognize myself in Shinji (and by extension 1990s Anno)

congratulations!

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Gif doesn’t include Pen Pen, is bad.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Ogmius815 posted:

Gif doesn’t include Pen Pen, is bad.

:colbert: fine

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Moose-Alini posted:

Another NGE success story!

The whole time I watched episode 26 I was thinking the narrator was speaking to me (recontextualizing “why do you pilot the Eva” to my own circumstances of course) and bawling

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Edit: it appears the poster might have been serious and I don’t want to shame him for having feelings.

Ogmius815 fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 6, 2019

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Went through this, and I came away surprisingly sympathetic to the angels. Like, no poo poo they want to destroy humanity, we raped and mutilated their mother (the bit where they describe what they did to Adam to initiate Second Impact is deeply :stare: once you grasp the implication), enslaved our children with her, and turned them into weapons against their own kind in order to usurp their power because some rich assholes got all insecure. Despite this, though, they seem strangely, innocently curious about us. Pretty much every Angel from Iruel onwards (except Zeruel, who's just extremely pissed off) just wants to understand us and figure out why we did what we did.

Like, SEELE is just spectacularly awful, and I do not believe for a second their line in the reports Misato found about how they just had to forcibly inject human DNA into the sleeping deity they dug up in order to save the world.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Haven't thought too much about it before, and I'm sure it's basic "thinking about Eva" stuff, but it's interesting that the Angels still seek out communication despite being completely self-sufficient.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Darth Walrus posted:

Went through this, and I came away surprisingly sympathetic to the angels. Like, no poo poo they want to destroy humanity, we raped and mutilated their mother (the bit where they describe what they did to Adam to initiate Second Impact is deeply :stare: once you grasp the implication), enslaved our children with her, and turned them into weapons against their own kind in order to usurp their power because some rich assholes got all insecure. Despite this, though, they seem strangely, innocently curious about us. Pretty much every Angel from Iruel onwards (except Zeruel, who's just extremely pissed off) just wants to understand us and figure out why we did what we did.

Like, SEELE is just spectacularly awful, and I do not believe for a second their line in the reports Misato found about how they just had to forcibly inject human DNA into the sleeping deity they dug up in order to save the world.

That’s always kind of the sticking point with NERV and SEELE. They’re awful and they deserve everything that happens to them, but that’s why they have to pick on 14 year olds since a full fledged adult is likely to tell them “you all suck and you’re shady as hell, I refuse to take part.”

In a sense though Instrumentality is its own punishment. You’re no longer separated from others but you also don’t have any personal safety, you are now blended with everyone else, and they know you too. I doubt the rest of humanity was all that impressed with SEELE once they got into the soup together, and since Instrumentality peels back your insecurities, well.

If 4.0 goes into what everyone else went through during Instrumentality that would be supremely awesome (and it most likely won’t happen.)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

klapman posted:

Haven't thought too much about it before, and I'm sure it's basic "thinking about Eva" stuff, but it's interesting that the Angels still seek out communication despite being completely self-sufficient.

also that their attempts at communication and connection hurt the kids waaaay more than all the acid, tentacles and laser beams

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat
Eh, I wouldn't say the angels after Iruel are all innocently curious and trying to communicate. Leliel I can buy that for, but Bardiel makes no attempt at communication and literally tries to eat/possess the EVAs, Arael rips open Asuka's brain and rubs her nose in all her insecurities, and Armisael is straight up malicious with what it says to Rei and tries to use her for.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I think the angels are basically the same as the humans, except probably in a bit more of a post-instrumentality sort of existence. I mean can you imagine a whole world full of each kind of angel?

I mean obviously the interests and motivations of the angels are probably almost completely alien to us, but at the same time they must be similar in some sense. Take for instance Kaworu. Sort of similar but fundamentally different because he really does decide to end his entire existence for the sake of Shinji's. But I think you could say that Kaworu had some "human" elements, like love.

But what I think is the most important thing in the show to consider about the angels is the way Shinji juxtaposes them in his mind alongside his dad Gendo.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Heavy Sigh posted:

Eh, I wouldn't say the angels after Iruel are all innocently curious and trying to communicate. Leliel I can buy that for, but Bardiel makes no attempt at communication and literally tries to eat/possess the EVAs, Arael rips open Asuka's brain and rubs her nose in all her insecurities, and Armisael is straight up malicious with what it says to Rei and tries to use her for.

Bardiel attempts to physically merge with an Evangelion much like Iruel tried to physically merge with the Geofront and the Magi, and that was definitely motivated at least in part by curiosity - it didn't need to read all those files before mashing the self-destruct button. EVA-03 behaves very much like it's gone berserk in the normal Evangelion way (strangulation is a very human form of violence throughout the series), so it's hard to say which party is more at fault for that. As for Arael, Asuka's so fragile and repressed that I can genuinely buy that opening up her mind and bringing down her barriers so you can look at what's inside would have that sort of effect, no malicious intent required. Armisael, meanwhile, seems to be trying to bring about a sort of baby Instrumentality with itself as the Lance of Longinus, and breaking down the physical and psychological barriers between yourself and humans in order to figure out how they tick is a lot more understandable and reasonable when you're a bona-tide alien with incredibly weird biology rather than just another insecure, maladjusted human. Then, of course, there's Tabris, who seems to genuinely like and be interested in the Lilim, but is too desperate to get back to his mum to be able to protect them from himself.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
I missed the bit wrt Adam... What did they do to it?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Zeruel posted:

I missed the bit wrt Adam... What did they do to it?

Second Impact was triggered when they forcibly injected her with human DNA - you hear them discussing it in the cold open to Episode 21. They then proceeded to cut her apart and use her genetic material combined with their own to make the Evangelions (except Unit 01, which was made by raping and mutilating Lilith in much the same way, because humanity doing that to its own mother is extremely on-brand for Evangelion).

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jul 6, 2019

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Rei and Yukiko were my waifus and having their VA dunk on shitlords just confirms I was right.

I thought Lee was easily the best performance in the dub outside of Gendo. I loved her Rei and was very annoyed they replaced her in Rebuild.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAPrlLVpv50

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
the picture selling in eva was definitely a trope of the time, lots of series depicting horny men did it, or had characters talking about doing it. i'm struggling to remember some but ranma 1/2 definitely did for example. not that it isnt bad

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

e: OH OKAY

ee: peu importe ou tu trouves, j'vais te chercher
attends un peu, monsieur petit toutou

no matter where you are, I'll pick you up
wait a minute, sir little doggie

why she want to get him so badly

Zeruel fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jul 6, 2019

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Anyone got a translation for Marie's little speech at the end when she mentioned Shinji?

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
I'm right there in Paris, it was bonkers. Slightly sad that Anno couldn't come in person.

Pierson> she says when she promised she'd come and get Shinji wherever he is, she meant it.

Chev fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jul 6, 2019

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Darth Walrus posted:

Then, of course, there's Tabris, who seems to genuinely like and be interested in the Lilim, but is too desperate to get back to his mum to be able to protect them from himself.

Maybe I misunderstood, but doesn’t Kaworu/Tabris literally choose death in order to save humanity from destruction?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ogmius815 posted:

Maybe I misunderstood, but doesn’t Kaworu/Tabris literally choose death in order to save humanity from destruction?

He does, but he's unable to turn back before things escalate to that point thanks to Adam's call, and only goes 'yeah, you can kill me now' once he realises he's got the address of the wrong god.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Zeruel posted:

e: OH OKAY

ee: peu importe ou tu trouves, j'vais te chercher
attends un peu, monsieur petit toutou

no matter where you are, I'll pick you up
wait a minute, sir little doggie

why she want to get him so badly

um , because he's the protagonist???

I have to say as someone who just kinda shrugs at a lot of the more internalized mental stuff in Eva, the density of crazy kaiju battles, technobabble, and huge explosions in that teaser are very promising :cool:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
there's a lot more for you than Eva if all you want is big mech monster fights and shouting at computer screens

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
Yeah I'm fairly certain this movie isn't gonna be something I enjoy. That was the most boring 10 minutes I've spent in a long time

Also, I know it's probably been said or argued about before, but boy does cgi in anime look really off-putting to me.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It's weird. The rebuild's diverged so much from what I "know " as Eva it's essentially a foreign thing now. It's kind of like meeting up with an old friend and then realizing yeah 10 years have passes and all those old memories are footnotes to your lives now.
But I'm jazzed about them actually doing stuff with the world, since they deploy an Anti-Lilith/Anti-AT Field Nullifier device there

I'm both interested and annoyed that they're up to Angel Series 42 and Eva unit Xx. but it looks like Fuyutsuki is playing mad scientist and grafting Eva and Angel parts randomly the way we're rebuilding Eva through the films and that's adding an interesting side to the character

Also, I know it's probably been said or argued about before, but boy does cgi in anime look really off-putting to me.
I'm pretty sure character bits in Hittori Bocchi were CGI'd and they looked pretty convincing.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

It's weird. The rebuild's diverged so much from what I "know " as Eva it's essentially a foreign thing now. It's kind of like meeting up with an old friend and then realizing yeah 10 years have passes and all those old memories are footnotes to your lives now.
But I'm jazzed about them actually doing stuff with the world, since they deploy an Anti-Lilith/Anti-AT Field Nullifier device there

I'm both interested and annoyed that they're up to Angel Series 42 and Eva unit Xx. but it looks like Fuyutsuki is playing mad scientist and grafting Eva and Angel parts randomly the way we're rebuilding Eva through the films and that's adding an interesting side to the character

I'm pretty sure character bits in Hittori Bocchi were CGI'd and they looked pretty convincing.

Remember, Fuyutsuki is implied to have made the Reis, and was probably a major player in making the Evangelions, considering his qualifications. This side of him was always there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Yeah I'm fairly certain this movie isn't gonna be something I enjoy. That was the most boring 10 minutes I've spent in a long time

I dunno, that music got me pumped and the part where Mari drove the loving Eiffel Tower spire into the enemy was kickass (and she apologized to Eiffel during it, lol). It was also really cool once the point of their mission was revealed and the city was restored with Nerv rising up.

Yes, Mari is sort of a bland, perfect "I'm never in danger and I know more than the audience about what's going on" character, but I'm up for anything Anno delivers at this point.