Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Even if Redestro’s power resulted in a differently flavored Strong Guy, I’m really enjoying how he’s slowly become more grotesque and physically warped as he releases his power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

having a simple or reused power is fine as long as it's presented well

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
I love this arc so much i wouldn't even mind going back to libertarian ice climber again but theres no way this wont be finished within 2-3 chapters

please allah and all might dont give me more slice of life after this unless momo gets poo poo on one last time

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The slice of life is some of my favorite parts

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:
Slice of life as an interlude between action stuff is good and comfy.

Unrelated, but I can't wait to see Kirishima and Tamaki's fights from the Yakuza arc animated. Also a lot of the stuff that kinda suffered from Hori being super sick at the time.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Official translation of the latest chapter is out.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
on page 11 the scanlations darken the chairmens face while the viz version shows all the detail and it has to be the scanlators 'cleaning' up the art by shading in anything that looks blurry from rips

edit: the viz version also gives iceman a real name too

drjuggalo fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 7, 2019

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

drjuggalo posted:

edit: the viz version also gives iceman a real name too

That's still Viz leaving his name untranslated; "Geten" means "Apocrypha", and Viz has consistently used the former where scanlators have consistently used the latter. We've discussed it a few times in this thread because not everyone agrees with the decision.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
if thats the case then id rather pick apocrypha since everyone else is using codenames

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Izzit geten cold in ere or is it just me?

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
I'm starting to think Horikoshi's going to give us the exact opposite of "You can be a hero" here -- what Shigaraki needed to hear from his family, who apparently tried to help him cope with his abusive dad by distracting him and telling him how he could avoid getting hurt and drying his tears after things got bad, was "You don't have to put up with this," or "You don't need to grin and bear it," or even "It's fine if you just use your power and get rid of him." "You can be a villain," basically.

And then OfA presumably intervened and turned what could've been a bog-standard villain origin story into the birth of his protege.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

It's the little things, but the face Re-destro makes at the end, I can really tell that he's thinking "this is going to put my hairline back another centimeter"

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Poltergrift posted:

I'm starting to think Horikoshi's going to give us the exact opposite of "You can be a hero" here -- what Shigaraki needed to hear from his family, who apparently tried to help him cope with his abusive dad by distracting him and telling him how he could avoid getting hurt and drying his tears after things got bad, was "You don't have to put up with this," or "You don't need to grin and bear it," or even "It's fine if you just use your power and get rid of him." "You can be a villain," basically.

And then OfA presumably intervened and turned what could've been a bog-standard villain origin story into the birth of his protege.

I don't get the impression that his dad was abusive, just unsupportive of his dream.

drjuggalo posted:

if thats the case then id rather pick apocrypha since everyone else is using codenames

Yeah but it's probably not his codename. Or else it would be spelled differently.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Trivia thread for 234:
https://twitter.com/CDCubed/status/1147989860046667776

There's two sets of hands that aren't accounted for.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Nevermind.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jul 7, 2019

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

MonsterEnvy posted:

I don't get the impression that his dad was abusive, just unsupportive of his dream.

Yeah, it's entirely possible I'm reading too much into it. It just seems to me that if your primary memories of your family are times they comforted you after your dad made you cry, your dad probably made you cry a lot, or at least more than "unsupportive jerk dad" would suggest on its own.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Time skip to the next festival imo where deli wins instantly because he can use 100% and graduates early

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

Jose posted:

Time skip to the next festival imo where deli wins instantly because he can use 100% and graduates early

Deli, the Lunchmeat Hero

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Poltergrift posted:

Deli, the Lunchmeat Hero

https://bokunoheroacademia.fandom.com/wiki/Seiji_Shishikura

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Shigaraki's dad got abandoned by his hero mom so that may color his response to his son wanting to be a hero.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Funky Valentine posted:

Shigaraki's dad got abandoned by his hero mom so that may color his response to his son wanting to be a hero.

I thought Nana did it so young he wouldn’t even know his mom was a hero, just that he was abandoned.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lord_Magmar posted:

I thought Nana did it so young he wouldn’t even know his mom was a hero, just that he was abandoned.

No they have a picture of him and his mother. With her posing with him. He looked young but not super young.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Poltergrift posted:

Yeah, it's entirely possible I'm reading too much into it. It just seems to me that if your primary memories of your family are times they comforted you after your dad made you cry, your dad probably made you cry a lot, or at least more than "unsupportive jerk dad" would suggest on its own.

I mean, in those vague flashbacks from before, we have an adult male looking enraged/horrified down at the viewpoint character (Shigaraki) and the bloody arrow(?), plus Shiggy has kept fairly close to being a corrupted version of his proto-self from the Tenko manga, in which his father tried to outright murder him, so I'm betting on his father being a poo poo.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Lord_Magmar posted:

Nana was Shigaraki's grandmother not mother. Her son was Shigaraki's dad and it's questionable if Shigaraki even knew anything about her.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Lt. Lizard posted:

Nana was Shigaraki's grandmother not mother. Her son was Shigaraki's dad and it's questionable if Shigaraki even knew anything about her.

Lord_Magmar's post is talking about Shigaraki's dad, specifically with regards to whether or not Shigaraki's dad disliked heroes because his mom was a hero and abandoned him and whether or not that colored the way he treated Shigaraki.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Kanos posted:

Lord_Magmar's post is talking about Shigaraki's dad, specifically with regards to whether or not Shigaraki's dad disliked heroes because his mom was a hero and abandoned him and whether or not that colored the way he treated Shigaraki.

Huh
Why did I think he was talking about Shigaraki and not his dad, I have no idea. I shouldn't post before I fully wake up. :psyduck:

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Eej posted:

Re Destro has probably one of the coolest quirks since it meshes perfectly with his personality and it's both comedic (he stores his stress as energy, that's why he's always so calm and he's a big CEO!) while being frightening in application.
I like the concept of "using built-up stress" but I don't like that it's just getting strong and I don't like it hulking him out. I understand that he needs to to be a threat to Gigantomachia and it lets Horikoshi show him breaking down from Shiggy's powers more effectively but I just don't care for how it looks. Then again if he didn't get bulkier it would just end up looking like a dark evil One For All so maybe it had to be this way.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I like the concept of "using built-up stress" but I don't like that it's just getting strong and I don't like it hulking him out.

It appears to be more than just getting strong as he was able to fire out the black stuff.

Simulation883
Jan 1, 2007
Looking closer at Re-Destro's design, I appreciate how the 'black mold' creates the look of him smiling, while it's actually drips over his actual mouth.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Simulation883 posted:

Looking closer at Re-Destro's design, I appreciate how the 'black mold' creates the look of him smiling, while it's actually drips over his actual mouth.

Yeah I just dig the design of his roided-out form so much.

Then again, I just like Re Destro and his expressions a ton.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Horikoshi's single greatest strength is probably character design.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Hoo boy this next chapter is quite a doozy. Hope you don't think you're done with the child abuse after Endeavor.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Sindai posted:

Horikoshi's single greatest strength is probably character design.

hell agreed

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I love seeing Mangaka draw characters in new outfits that the fandom will maybe draw art of for a few days before going back to the "default" outfits

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Hori's skill at composition is pretty much top notch.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

okay it's two years in a row now, why traffic-cone orange

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
I appreciate Hori's commitment to safety. Look at all those knee pads!

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Fabricated posted:

Hori's skill at composition is pretty much top notch.

I've said it like 40 times now but his technical craft is just loving insane

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I think one of the things that really helps make all of Horikoshi's stuff so outstanding is the dynamic poses on hands. A lot of mangaka have hands as fists or open and not a lot in between unless it's the focus of the panel, whereas with Horikoshi you can look in that page alone and see almost everyone's hands doing something different. Hands are incredibly expressive and so it gives a lot of PLUS ULTRA to the characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
another manga that does neat things with hands: Chainsawman