Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

DC Murderverse posted:

there's a rewatch going on on r/Anime and there's a dude in the comments who posts a big collage of the best shots for each episode and this really is such a beautiful show

edit: also i found a new wallpaper for my phone. Unit-01's baptism in blood here is quite possibly one of the most perfectly animated moments of this episode and this shot was just loving insane

The slow buildup of the music still gives me ASMR tingles, when Eva 01 bursts out of Leilei, and reactivates against Zeruel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXwSALy63N8

:supaburn: :black101: :supaburn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

This is totally my biggest problem with the rebuilds. Asuka and shinji’s entire relationship is neutered and generic in 2

I'm not really a fan of Mari. She's just kind of there, and almost feels like someone included after deciding they'd put Asuka in Unit 3. Which is also a pretty big change that feels like it's just kind of there, too. It'll be interesting to see how 4.0 comes together.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
I remember more about 3.0 than I do 2.0 funny enough though I own the latter.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I really liked the part where they go visit the Aquarium. Also when they're going to the dinner and Gendo is literally down the road from Shinji about to pick him up and the angel attacks and he fuckin u-turns insanely hard and zooms off and Shinji is just :qq:

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Aaand Rebuild 2.0 done.

• This one feels like it's 75% CG but overall the quality of the CG is much higher than in the previous film. It still sticks out to me a bit but it's well done enough to where I didn't mind it too much.
  • Some of the shots in this movie are insanely complex. Just... drat. Also great use of lighting and color all around.
  • The fanservice is really bad in this one. In the original series it felt more justified because it tended to be used to indicate Shinji's POV and emotional state whereas here it's literally just there to get horny teenage boys off. JFC I wish anime would knock this poo poo off (regardless of the character's ages).
  • Asuka's character here is good and she get's some nice bittersweet redeeming moments towards the end but you also lose a LOT with the focus being shifted to Rei. I really miss the more subtle way they handled her in the show. We get some entertaining moments of Asuka being insane though so that's a plus.
  • Rei on the other hand get's a ton of development here and I love it.
  • Gendo also feels more nuanced in this movie than he was in the show. He's still a dick but you get some cool little glimpses into his non-rear end in a top hat side which is neat.
  • Oh poo poo Gendo is carrying a key instead of Adam now. That's pretty cool I wonder where that's going.
  • OH poo poo THEY TURNED ADAM INTO AN EVA! I totally missed that before somehow.
  • I really like a lot of the quieter scenes in this movie. The water purification plant section, for example, was a really nice way to develop the world and the characters at the same time.
  • Mari why are you even here.
  • I love how much this series keeps politics in mind as events unfold. It's too bad they didn't include material from the nuclear powered robot episode because I loved the way it showed how NERV interacts with the larger world.
  • Kaji's sexual harassment/gay panic jokes are super problematic but I laughed anyways. I am a terrible person.
  • I like this version of Shinji. He's got some balls on him.
  • Soooo... My memory of 3.0 is pretty spotty but Koworu clearly shut down the third impact at the end of this one. Why is 3.0 post apocalyptic again? Maybe I'll find the answer when I re-watch it later. Also, Shinji did nothing wrong so there's no reason for the entire cast to be such dicks to him in the next movie damnit! :argh:
  • EOE is still the best Eva movie IMO though this one is still pretty good. Definitely a step up from 1.0

Onward to 3.0 and copious amounts of gay sexual tension! Or so I assume! Honestly I remember almost nothing about it!

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jul 8, 2019

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless
I watched some of that 10 minute clip of 3.0+1.0 and I can't help but feel it looks absolutely awful - everything I dislike about 3.0 (and I dislike it a lot) is out in full-force here.

For me, 3.0 was a wealth of disappointments: obviously big budget animation that, while technically well done, was somehow ugly to look at. A plot filled to the brim with stuff that somehow still felt shallow, empty and poorly told. Lots of big fights and events that the characters tell us are significant, but that evoked only a sense of bored exhaustion from me. Familiar characters that I once cherished that I just couldn't bring myself to care about this time around.

The 3.0+1.0 clip commits many of the same mistakes as 3.0 did. Lots of meaningless technobabble, virtually no attempt to ground all the fantastical elements in any sort of reality, no sense of buildup (ie, terrible pacing with no establishment of any real stakes), really blatant CGI out the wazoo and lots of designs that look like they exist entirely to sell little plastic figurines to otaku. I couldn't watch the whole thing. I stopped after a few minutes.

I was once (a long time ago) an absolutely huge Evangelion fan and I was convinced that most of what was going on had a deeper meaning - that it was a statement about the human condition and that its world-building all adhered to an internal logic, even if it was challenging to discover it all.

But starting with Rebuild 3.0 I actually think nobody really had an idea where it was all going or what to do with it, and they're just making crap up as they go along. I'm convinced 3.0 was scrapped partway through production and they started with something new from the ground up. I can't for a moment believe that this was planned from the beginning. I held out a glimmer of hope that 3.0+1.0 would prove me wrong, but that glimmer has just grown even more faint now. In retrospect, it actually makes me wonder if the original series worked so well because it was planned that way, or if i was a fluke - just a convincing and complex style-based glamour hiding a threadbare, barely-coherent idea of a story. A glamour that nobody involved in the production of the rebuilds really understood well enough to be able to re-create convincingly this time around.

Rebuilds 1.11 and 2.22 had me so excited about the potential of those movies to both retell and develop the series while making it a huge spectacle. But everything I've seen after them after that just makes me feel... defeated.

Soul Reaver fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jul 8, 2019

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

We haven’t seen an ape swinging through trees or Shinji with his heart pulled out of his chest yet so there’s still hope.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Nate RFB posted:

And now, as a counter to the Waypoint podcasts...

Dan apparently loved the first 8 episodes and based on his UPF comments he's past 12 and plans to keep going so color me surprised!

i love dan rykert and i love that he loves what he has seen of EVA but i feel like this is punishment for me complaining about those dudes on the Waypoint podcast misprouncing Asuka

seriously, Genjo Ikami?!?!?!

edit: although holy poo poo him hitting on Shinji's DNA being a part of why he's picked to be a pilot followed almost immediately by him thinking of the entry plug as a womb is remarkably close to figuring it out in the first 8 episodes.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jul 8, 2019

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

readingatwork posted:

[*]Soooo... My memory of 3.0 is pretty spotty but Koworu clearly shut down the third impact at the end of this one. Why is 3.0 post apocalyptic again? Maybe I'll find the answer when I re-watch it later. Also, Shinji did nothing wrong so there's no reason for the entire cast to be such dicks to him in the next movie damnit! :argh:
[/list]
Onward to 3.0 and copious amounts of gay sexual tension! Or so I assume! Honestly I remember almost nothing about it!

That was Near Third Impact. There was an actual Third Impact that took place after 2.0 and before 3.0. People are making Shinji a scapegoat for whatever reason.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

DC Murderverse posted:

i love dan rykert and i love that he loves what he has seen of EVA but i feel like this is punishment for me complaining about those dudes on the Waypoint podcast misprouncing Asuka

seriously, Genjo Ikami?!?!?!

edit: although holy poo poo him hitting on Shinji's DNA being a part of why he's picked to be a pilot followed almost immediately by him thinking of the entry plug as a womb is remarkably close to figuring it out in the first 8 episodes.

I was really impressed that Dan was able to pick up on that and also the LCL fluid inside the entry plugs as well. My man is like this close to figuring out human instrumentality.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

That was Near Third Impact. There was an actual Third Impact that took place after 2.0 and before 3.0. People are making Shinji a scapegoat for whatever reason.

Maybe they saw an Angel stroll by Unit-01 with complete impunity and thats why they all hate him.

Then again the way people talk to him its like WILLE is afraid of Shinji, which makes no sense if Near Third Impact didn't do any real damage.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Heavy Sigh posted:

Maybe they saw an Angel stroll by Unit-01 with complete impunity and thats why they all hate him.

Then again the way people talk to him its like WILLE is afraid of Shinji, which makes no sense if Near Third Impact didn't do any real damage.

Oh, NTE did a fair amount of damage. I think it completely obliterates Tokyo-3 when it peels back the landscape at one point. But it didn't do the global-scale stuff we see in 3.0. For example, there's a shot of Lillith on the cross and unresponsive in 2.0, whereas in 3.0 she's different.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

Soul Reaver posted:

I watched some of that 10 minute clip of 3.0+1.0 and I can't help but feel it looks absolutely awful - everything I dislike about 3.0 (and I dislike it a lot) is out in full-force here.

For me, 3.0 was a wealth of disappointments: obviously big budget animation that, while technically well done, was somehow ugly to look at. A plot filled to the brim with stuff that somehow still felt shallow, empty and poorly told. Lots of big fights and events that the characters tell us are significant, but that evoked only a sense of bored exhaustion from me. Familiar characters that I once cherished that I just couldn't bring myself to care about this time around.

The 3.0+1.0 clip commits many of the same mistakes as 3.0 did. Lots of meaningless technobabble, virtually no attempt to ground all the fantastical elements in any sort of reality, no sense of buildup (ie, terrible pacing with no establishment of any real stakes), really blatant CGI out the wazoo and lots of designs that look like they exist entirely to sell little plastic figurines to otaku. I couldn't watch the whole thing. I stopped after a few minutes.

I was once (a long time ago) an absolutely huge Evangelion fan and I was convinced that most of what was going on had a deeper meaning - that it was a statement about the human condition and that its world-building all adhered to an internal logic, even if it was challenging to discover it all..
Yeah I'm in complete agreement with you here. The big budget action set pieces aren't doing it for me at all. It's just empty.

It looks and feels so generic. Like a Makoto Shinkai work.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'm glad I'm not the only one who isn't into those maudlin post card films.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

tbp posted:

i watched 1.11 and 2.22 and really didnt like them terribly much, though for different reasons. 2.22 went a little wild with the fanservice on the 14 year olds too which was odd, but the characters feel like distilled versions of themselves? i wouldn't really mind them being different, but it feels like they're "the same" just less explored
In a weird sort of way I like that the characters and situations are distillations of themselves in the Rebuild films. It almost feels...cathartic that they are able to go through these events with less ambiguity and the listlessness that was a lot of the characters' lives in the final few episodes/EoE. Rather than being passive participants caught up in the insane flow that was Instrumentality, they are able to be active and assertive in how they engage and perceive it. There was an alienating, almost Lynchian atmosphere that swallowed everyone up in the finale(s) originally so it's almost refreshing that they are for a lack of a better word able to engage in a more straightforward (as much as any of this can be so) "adventure".

It definitely helps that this is in service of the context for existing Eva viewers where this is a take on a story that some of us have known for 20 years, and unfortunately some of that "impact" in the changes might be lost if you're just shotgunning it anew. Which is not to say all old fans are enjoying the new films; in fact I remember levying similar complaints about 3.0 feeling "shallow" at the time. But at this point enough between the time I've had to ruminate on the differences as well as listening to new takes/impressions from new audiences to the original, I feel surprisingly OK with it all. It's at the very least a far more fascinating alternate version for me to consume than the myriad of others such as the manga.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

I think part or most of the reason 3.0 feels so hollow is we don't know how things got there, I mean yes we are told about the Near Third Impact being stopped and then the third impact but that's about it. we don't know how or why shinji ended up in space or how WILLE formed. All of this ontop of not being anwhere close to what the teasers at the end of 2.0 showed us would happen in 3.0, it doesn't feel like a natural sequel or extension of what happened in 2.0

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Nate RFB posted:

It definitely helps that this is in service of the context for existing Eva viewers where this is a take on a story that some of us have known for 20 years, and unfortunately some of that "impact" in the changes might be lost if you're just shotgunning it anew. Which is not to say all old fans are enjoying the new films; in fact I remember levying similar complaints about 3.0 feeling "shallow" at the time. But at this point enough between the time I've had to ruminate on the differences as well as listening to new takes/impressions from new audiences to the original, I feel surprisingly OK with it all. It's at the very least a far more fascinating alternate version for me to consume than the myriad of others such as the manga.

The rebuilds are definitely better if you've seen the TV show because then a bunch of the stuff is just there as short hand and you go "oh ok this is X from before" and then it gets all wild and different and that's when it gets you. Without the tv series as context for a bunch of stuff they lose a lot imo.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzpsvEehosZ/

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

We stan

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I refuse to believe those are all the best shots from each ep but I'm too lazy review in order to verify or give an opinion.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Is this the weird self-help lady running for president

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

hope and vaseline posted:

Is this the weird self-help lady running for president

yeah

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

working hard on the SEELE vote

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Erst!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Under communism we will all stand in endless lines for tang

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I refuse to believe those are all the best shots from each ep but I'm too lazy review in order to verify or give an opinion.

Those are just episode 1, each episode gets a little collage

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

Ogmius815 posted:

What is actually happening in the Kitchen scene with Asuka in EoE? At this point in the film, instrumentality hasn’t actually properly occurred yet (unless it has and we’re simply shown events out of order). So is the Asuka in that scene a part of Shinji’s psyche? Or is he somehow communicating with Asuka telepathically?

Edit: also, what is up with the sandbox scene? I don’t really get that one.

He interacts with Misato and Asuka before instrumentality, both of whom died earlier in the film. Rei shows up just before Misato dies, so maybe everyone who died immediately before instrumentality gets joins in.

NikkolasKing posted:

What do smart fans of the series think Instrumentality was supposed to represent?

Because I thought it basically stood for death or escapism or both and that irritated me because Instrumentality is neither of those things in the narrative. It's simply another form of existence where you no longer have to suffer the perpetual loneliness of individuality. But I read Anno as saying that giving up your individuality is equivalent to death and Shinji was 100% right to stay himself and return to a dead world where he'll probably starve to death in a couple weeks
anyway.

It stands for what Freud called oceanic state, to lose your individual identity and become one with something else. It's common in serious meditators and while tripping on psychedelics, but it can happen spontaneously as well. While most who experience it view it as a mystical and positive experience, Freud thought the desire to be one with everything was a desire to return to the womb, which is, of course, a major theme of the series. The show takes the 'oceanic' part very literally.

The metaphor of ego death, combined with the psychedelic trip-like nature of episodes 14, 25, and 26, plus EoE really leads me to believe drugs played a role in the creative-lives of someone involved. That, plus the fact that some of the Angels look uncannily like DMT entities. Not that we'd ever find out if it was given Japanese attitudes on drugs. Still, there is a psychedelic underground in Japan, so it doesn't seem impossible.

Let us English fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 8, 2019

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Soul Reaver posted:

For me, 3.0 was a wealth of disappointments: obviously big budget animation that, while technically well done, was somehow ugly to look at.

I remember shortly after it was released on Blu-Ray someone stitched together landscape shots to create these huge vistas that reveal just how stunning and fascinating the artwork in 3.33 really is. The scene where Shinji's being told that he caused the impact and the camera pans around, when you see all of that stuff put together as one big image it really is impressive, but I guess it's just a matter of personal taste and for me I like that 3.33 went right off the deep end like EoE did. For example, I didn't even notice that canyon of teeth when watching until seeing one of those images that were stitched together.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
3.33 continues the trend of Evangelion showing lots of detail-heavy shots for brief moments.

Personally I think 3.33 was kind of a mediocre movie in and of itself, but as a Evangelion movie it was great, and was a good way to continue the story from 2.0.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Nate RFB posted:

In a weird sort of way I like that the characters and situations are distillations of themselves in the Rebuild films. It almost feels...cathartic that they are able to go through these events with less ambiguity and the listlessness that was a lot of the characters' lives in the final few episodes/EoE. Rather than being passive participants caught up in the insane flow that was Instrumentality, they are able to be active and assertive in how they engage and perceive it. There was an alienating, almost Lynchian atmosphere that swallowed everyone up in the finale(s) originally so it's almost refreshing that they are for a lack of a better word able to engage in a more straightforward (as much as any of this can be so) "adventure".

i had thought about that too - the metaviewing of the series seems fairly important to the enjoyment of it, and something of value is definitely lost going through something like 20 hours of content in a few weeks. i like your analysis there though - it makes sense

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Tythas posted:

I think part or most of the reason 3.0 feels so hollow is we don't know how things got there, I mean yes we are told about the Near Third Impact being stopped and then the third impact but that's about it. we don't know how or why shinji ended up in space or how WILLE formed. All of this ontop of not being anwhere close to what the teasers at the end of 2.0 showed us would happen in 3.0, it doesn't feel like a natural sequel or extension of what happened in 2.0

Man I've said before that seeing third impact and the result thereafter would be a better movie than what 3.33 is.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

Ineffiable posted:

Man I've said before that seeing third impact and the result thereafter would be a better movie than what 3.33 is.

This is definitely a part of the problem I have with 3.0

For example: early in the film, the Wunder is attacked by the Nemesis series. We are TOLD this is a bad thing. We are TOLD that in the past they always retreated. But we've never ourselves actually seen what this thing can do. How much more impact would this scene have had if we'd previously seen it attack Wille's forces, exacting a terrible price each time, each time forcing them to retreat - but this time, for the first time, they actually manage to fight back?

It's the same with everyone's reaction to Shinji. Everyone is cold and cruel to him, and he has no idea why. And as we don't see anything that he hasn't, it seems stupid to the audience as well. Now imagine seeing the results of his actions immediately after 2.22 for yourself - how, either directly or indirectly, his actions and decisions in that film led to the systematic death of everyone Wille loved, and the destruction of the world at large, how his decision is seen as the crux point where everything fell apart. Misato loses Kaji, Gendo and Seele actively go behind everyone's back and screw up mankind, Ritsuko is personally betrayed by Gendo, Toji is killed (probably either while saving or fighting alongside his sister, right up to the end believing in Shinji to somehow set things right again etc etc). Peoples' reactions would make far more sense then to the audience.

In fact, most of the babble that happens in the film - often said with urgency and/or horror by the characters - is emotionally meaningless to the audience. We have no way of knowing that anything is bad other than that because of someone saying it is, which is a lot different from viscerally knowing why. There's a difference between being told something is terrible, and ourselves having a sense of dawning terror when we see what is unfolding. Films are a visual medium, and when done well they show, don't tell. Evangelion 3.0 shows very little of meaning to the audience.

The only benefit at all to not showing the events between 2.22 and 3.0 is that the audience shares Shinji's sense of confusion and isolation in 3.0. But in my opinion, stripping out any sense of meaning for the majority of the story events we see in the film from the audience basically is too high a price to pay for that one benefit.

I've always felt that 3.0 needed to be preceeded by another film, or even a short (6-12 episode) anime series. One that actually shows all the things that occurred after 2.22.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Sometimes being told and not shown is good too.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Very rarely and definitely not for 3.33

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I still need to rewatch it but if memory serves me right 3.0 would have worked much better if instead of being cruel to Shinji the cast had instead showed some kind of very strained kindness towards him. They are aware he has no idea what’s going on and want to spare him the truth but deep down are super pissed that they have to deal with the fallout of his bullshit. Then later on you can reveal Hellworld and make the depths of everyone’s anger known.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I watched 3.0 today and 2.0 a few days ago. 2.0 is the best of the rebuilds, 3.0 is mediocre but still better than the first one, if only because it wasn't just the TV show done again. Biggest problem though is that I feel like I don't have anything to say about them beyond that. The series really spoke to me as a story about self-worth and depression and the movies just... don't.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

readingatwork posted:

I still need to rewatch it but if memory serves me right 3.0 would have worked much better if instead of being cruel to Shinji the cast had instead showed some kind of very strained kindness towards him. They are aware he has no idea what’s going on and want to spare him the truth but deep down are super pissed that they have to deal with the fallout of his bullshit. Then later on you can reveal Hellworld and make the depths of everyone’s anger known.

I always liked the idea that the cast treated him well and Shinjis own guilt and self hatred ended up causing him to gently caress up legit

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.

readingatwork posted:

But we are nice to you!

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

readingatwork posted:

that's pretty much what happens though.

Like they only knew this kid for a few months (?) before he blew the world up 14 years ago. How do you broach this subject with him? Like Kaworu tells him straight out and surprise, Shinji does not take it well and spends the rest of the movie frantically trying to fix everything, which doesn't go well for anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Episode 4: this might actually be my favorite episode so far tbh. Just long slow atmospheric scenes for days. I loved the last scene where Shinji is on the train boarding platform and you just hear nothing but train announcements for a minute.

Show owns y’all.