Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I care about Goten. No one else will, but I will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don’t like how high pitched her voice is, but krillin has similar issues so I guess they just like high pitched voices

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Manatee Cannon posted:

they really should have had someone else voice gohan and goten in the jp dub. it's always super weird when the son family talk to each other

Nah. Nozawa makes them each sound unique enough. Gohan is way more polite and dorky and Goten is literally her Kid Goku voice. Black is my favorite voice of hers.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Bardock Im fine with. Gohan is just weird. Kinda why I like his adult dub voice better.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I actually do care about Goten. There is a wealth to unpack there that can never be (because it's Dragon Ball and it knows what it wants to do and isn't stopping) in regards to a character who is the late second-born to a legendary and now divine being, with a much older brother with a family and kid of his own (said kid will surpass Goten and already has probably, having beaten his go-Super-Saiyan-young record), as well as being best constant friends with the son of the OTHER god-dad, said friend having first been met as a much older future self who never knew this kid, and, and, to spice the top off neatly, this kid and the other kid are already masters of the fusion dance, allowing them to achieve insane power that is still not enough and is sagas behind now. Goten is a loving ride of a character when contrasted against his situation. There's even some hints and ideas like him growing his hair out as a teen to stop resembling his dad.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Nanigans posted:

Nah. Nozawa makes them each sound unique enough. Gohan is way more polite and dorky and Goten is literally her Kid Goku voice. Black is my favorite voice of hers.

Oh my God her Black voice was blowing my mind, for christ's sake let them make up an excuse so she can speak with that same cadence and creepy quiet when Goku goes Ultra Instinct or something

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I've gotten used to Nozowa's Goku, but all her other roles (except Black obviously) just sound terrible to me. There's no real excuse for Gohan having the same voice, since Gohan's entire development is not being just like his father, and Goten hurts my ears.

In general I don't really like when characters have the exact same voice unless they are literally the same person. Freiza also has this problem with Frost and Cooler (at least I assume the VA is the same for Cooler), and I much prefer that the dub takes a different direction with them.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Nozawa's performance as Black is amazing and I have come to love her Goku as much as I've always loved Schemmel's Goku. Bardock Nozawa is okay too. I don't like at all that both of Goku's sons must have his voice too, it's such a lameass thing that sticks in my craw because I really appreciate individualized voices for characters and even though she talks differently as Gohan and Goten it will always feel lame as hell that Gohan just doesn't have his own unique voice. Goten's is worse because it just further reduces Goten to "He's just child Goku."

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Nakao voiced Cooler and Frost and it sucks in both cases. Cooler because it's just not a very good voice for that character and Frost because it's just his Frieza voice but lamer and yet another thing that is them digging in the heels on Frost just being shittier Frieza.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Black August posted:

I actually do care about Goten. There is a wealth to unpack there that can never be (because it's Dragon Ball and it knows what it wants to do and isn't stopping) in regards to a character who is the late second-born to a legendary and now divine being, with a much older brother with a family and kid of his own (said kid will surpass Goten and already has probably, having beaten his go-Super-Saiyan-young record), as well as being best constant friends with the son of the OTHER god-dad, said friend having first been met as a much older future self who never knew this kid, and, and, to spice the top off neatly, this kid and the other kid are already masters of the fusion dance, allowing them to achieve insane power that is still not enough and is sagas behind now. Goten is a loving ride of a character when contrasted against his situation. There's even some hints and ideas like him growing his hair out as a teen to stop resembling his dad.

Goten is also gay

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don’t like her Goku family but yeah her black is great

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Improbable Lobster posted:

Goten is also gay

I mean, like, unpacking it to the personal preference level? Yeah, I'd completely tag them as a couple. You want to keep dragging out musty boxes labeled 'fanfic', then I'm here staring off slack-jawed into space thinking about what the implications of fusing that much, that early, that often with one person will eventually do to their sense of self and relationship when they can so easily become and are familiar with who Gotenks is.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Gee Trunks, why do you get to have a boyfriend and a girlfriend?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I'm fine with the idea of one timeline Trunks is with Mai and the other with Goten but if Mai is gonna be a thing then gently caress it invent three-way fusion like a minor version of that insane five-way one from Fusions (whose existence was justified 900% in its progenitors being the Ginyu Squad), or make yourself a miniseries where the gimmick is that they all fuse with one another so every episode is some combination of Mai+Trunks / Mai+Goten / Trunks+Goten / All 3

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Captain Baal posted:

Gee Trunks, why do you get to have a boyfriend and a girlfriend?

So that recurring joke that Team Four Star does in Abridged where someone has sex and at the end fires off a signature attack, except this time it's one of Gotenks's weird attacks like Galactic Donuts or Super Ghost Kamikaze Attack then?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Does Kid Trunks even have any attacks.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Funky Valentine posted:

Does Kid Trunks even have any attacks.

There's the Big Tree Cannon.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
He has that attack that Vegeta did to Recoome that looks like the Proto Final Flash

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Speaking of special attacks, what would be your guys's favorite specific use of a special attack in the franchise, mine would be the Kaio-Ken boosted Kamehameha from World's Strongest(which I'd post the relevant clip of but there aren't any videos on YouTube for the Ocean Dub version which is the best version for that movie), though that movie in general did a good job of making even the most basic moves look great

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Can I use the part from the Budokai 2 opening where Goku kamehamehas the moon in half while SS3? Cause that's it.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
The warp kamehameha. Goku rarely ever uses it and well the biggest selling point is how loud Sean is.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Kamehameha vs Galic Gun

or

Tony Hawk's Pro Kamehameha

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

drrockso20 posted:

Speaking of special attacks, what would be your guys's favorite specific use of a special attack in the franchise, mine would be the Kaio-Ken boosted Kamehameha from World's Strongest(which I'd post the relevant clip of but there aren't any videos on YouTube for the Ocean Dub version which is the best version for that movie), though that movie in general did a good job of making even the most basic moves look great

I can think of a lot but the one that immediately comes to mind, and maybe only because it's so recent but still, is UI Sign Goku using his Kamehameha to surf on top of Kefla's Gigantic Burst. That was so cool and just hammered in even more how badass UI is meant to be.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Galic meha or Kameha Gun

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Blaze Dragon posted:

I can think of a lot but the one that immediately comes to mind, and maybe only because it's so recent but still, is UI Sign Goku using his Kamehameha to surf on top of Kefla's Gigantic Burst. That was so cool and just hammered in even more how badass UI is meant to be.

Nanigans posted:

Kamehameha vs Galic Gun

or

Tony Hawk's Pro Kamehameha

:hfive:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The warp kamehameha owns because for fights that generally are just characters hitting each other hard it’s nice to see Goku do something clever

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
After Kefla normal beam struggles are just too boring. I need some sick beam tricks.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Momomo posted:

Brian Drummond fits the character when he's a lovely little gremlin man that just does bad things, up until late Namek. Funnily enough that's exactly where his voice changed in the US to Sabat.

It really was perfect. I don’t have that sort of delineation in my head with any of the other characters, but if I’m recalling Saiyan Saga Vegeta, I hear the right voice.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
It wasn’t a kamehameha but Goku Black’s instant transmission blast was so cool, mostly cause of how smug he looks while he does it.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDkTckOqyuY

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Y'know, they could totally do a solo Goku movie about his adventures on Yardrat.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Y'know, they could totally do a solo Goku movie about his adventures on Yardrat.

Goku's Bizzare Adventure: Yardrat Cusine Crusader

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
This is a weird question, but I don't know enough about language to be able to figure it out myself.. but are there accents in Japanese? Like in the English dub during the ToP that older mustache dude from Universe 2 has like a Russian accent.. Did they give some of the other ToP characters accents that sound like they're Russians speaking Japanese or something?

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

New Leaf posted:

This is a weird question, but I don't know enough about language to be able to figure it out myself.. but are there accents in Japanese? Like in the English dub during the ToP that older mustache dude from Universe 2 has like a Russian accent.. Did they give some of the other ToP characters accents that sound like they're Russians speaking Japanese or something?

I don't know about DBZ specifically but yes, Japanese has regional accents, like the Kansai dialect sometimes gets translated as an American southern accent in dubs.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Goku and Chichi specifically speak like Japanese hicks from out in the mountains (boonies.)

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
WELL HOWDY, THE NAME'S GOKU.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Heyyodang'olFreezer,man,dang'olgonnablowupNamekman,yo,gonnadoitinfivedang'olminutes,man

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Funky Valentine posted:

Heyyodang'olFreezer,man,dang'olgonnablowupNamekman,yo,gonnadoitinfivedang'olminutes,man

That tracks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN1vpeY3hkY

Covok
May 27, 2013

Goku, the name. I reckon y'all them evil types, eh? Trying to mess up our old lil Earth, uh? Well, I tell you, I tell you, that just ain't going to fly, I tell you what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Yeah, for example Goku's particular way of introducing himself, "ora Goku" is the hick version of "ore wa Goku" (I'm Goku), same with Chichi's using the -sa suffix instead of -san.

This is how Goku and Chichi are seen in-universe is what I mean: