Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
merits of the first half aside, old FMA is a disaster as soon as it departs from the manga and only gets worse the longer it goes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Disagree.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
I never finished FMA '03, but I remember it having some cool episodes (fake elric brothers trying to cure diseases, train hijacking), as well as some interesting ideas, like homunculi being humans who Came Back Wrong, but, uh. Reading a plot synopsis of the later stuff made me go "holy poo poo that's bad, that's so bad"
for example: The Cyborg Guy.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

What's the best app for reading manga on mobile/tablets? I read a lot of niche stuff and wondering what is a good app?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Also regarding OG FMA; "Alchemy is powered by human lives being lost in WWI in pur world" was just absolutely stupid. Part of the series is enjoying and embracing Alchemy itself, and it just taints EVERYTHING after the fact.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean, thats part of the manga. the point of the 2003 anime is that alchemy sucks and is a tool people abuse.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Torquemadras posted:

Well, I did not watch the anime, but I did go through a lot of the manga based on this recommendation and

Well

Is Kuroki slooooowwwwlyyy transforming from a black-hearted, bitter, jealous, foul-mouthed loner to a foul-mouthed loner who constantly trolls everyone around her in delightfully childish and stupid ways

I absolutely love stories with utterly dysfunctional people
Yes and also she has actually made good, genuine friends but is still her idiot self and so she occasionally says really stupid poo poo to them and gets blown up for it

So the humor is still there, it's just slightly different.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Ulio posted:

What's the best app for reading manga on mobile/tablets? I read a lot of niche stuff and wondering what is a good app?

If you're on android, Tachiyomi.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

Yes and also she has actually made good, genuine friends but is still her idiot self and so she occasionally says really stupid poo poo to them and gets blown up for it

So the humor is still there, it's just slightly different.

Cool, cool

Really enjoying this one a whole lot. Much more than Komi-San Can't Communicate, honestly. I always appreciate stories where characters can be just total mean-spirited assholes to each other, while still, miraculously, making them and their worldview relatable somehow

That whole chapter of her thinking she could join in on the nerds playing videogames, only to end on her gleefully staying home, happy she could avoid becoming like THOSE losers :smith:

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Not so much a recommendation, but what should my expectations for Vinland Saga be? Is the manga great-great, or just a nice thing to look forward to - especially with WIT Studio animating?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Vinland saga is one of the best manga period

People sometimes rag on a specific arc that happens after a pivotal moment in the MC's journey, but since it's already past that you can binge through it and it's very enjoyable that way. Thorfinn has an extremely good character arc, and basically all the side characters are fantastic. Askeladd is a magnificent bastard.

I hear the anime so far with the first three episodes is an excellent adaptation, I'm not sure how far into the series the anime will go though.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I appreciate that it's always the silliest least believable people in the manga who turn out to be based on real people, and the more grounded types who are fictional.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The Elric Brothers getting lost in time in Weimar Germany is way cooler and more interesting than where the manga goes, which is honestly kind of average in my opinion.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I love the original show twist even if the resolution in the manga is more in line with the earlier material.

I rewatched fma 2003 in the last year and it is pretty much misery and nihilism throughout and I really love it. It’s kinda like a branch in a visual novel. The True End is fma:b but my favorite route is still fma:a

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
You know when you have an idea in your head but you're having a hard time totally realizing it so you're not sure if it's something uncommon or if there's like a billion examples?

What are some action-y comedy shows with real stakes? Not like a shounen where there's slapstick but sometimes an enemy pops up that forces a real fight and then everything is fine afterwards.

More like Dirty Pair, where it's splashy and goofy and there's actual civilians dying like dogs in the background and sometimes foreground. Just a real bacon-and-chocolate confuse-your-mouth mix of emotions

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Adlai Stevenson posted:

You know when you have an idea in your head but you're having a hard time totally realizing it so you're not sure if it's something uncommon or if there's like a billion examples?

What are some action-y comedy shows with real stakes? Not like a shounen where there's slapstick but sometimes an enemy pops up that forces a real fight and then everything is fine afterwards.

More like Dirty Pair, where it's splashy and goofy and there's actual civilians dying like dogs in the background and sometimes foreground. Just a real bacon-and-chocolate confuse-your-mouth mix of emotions

gintama. it kind of fits into your first example but the world it depicts is actually pretty harsh even through all the comedy, at least in terms of 'man itd be hosed if feudal japan had to deal with aliens and modern technology.'

nadesico applies to this pretty well too, where there's a lot of harem jokes and general broad comedy but then it just suckerpunches you with something really heavy, and then it goes right back to being goofy like nothing happened, often in the same episode.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jul 11, 2019

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Adlai Stevenson posted:

miami guns

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Galactic Cyclone Bryger/Braiger

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Blood Blockade Battlefront has a reckless disregard for the survivability of the bystanders of Hellsalem's Lot

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
Thanks for all the suggestions, I plan on at least sampling them all~

Except Gintama, I've seen some of that. It's not bad but I'm not diving back in

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
For a change, instead of asking for recommendations I am going to recommend something myself ITT. It haven't seen much discussion about it around here, so hopefully a few people stumble across my post and decides to check out this hidden gem for themselves.

I am talking about the Denpa teki na Kanojo OVA. It's only two 40-minute episodes, and I liked every single moment of it. It's about some very messed up high schoolers who responded to trauma by wrapping themselves in destructive delusions and hurting others in kind. It explores some very interesting themes in a very approachable, mature and measured way, as the protagonists, who are somewhat lost and messed up themselves, grow and develop through thwarting these crazy people.

The directing and cinematography is also very good, with a lot of creatively framed shots and such.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Has a real good ending song too

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Denpa teki na Kanojo is fantastic, and I wish there were more episodes. It's not going to be everyone's cup of tea, though; if trigger warnings are your thing, just presume it has all of them.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

What's a good shounen romcom/harem series that is relatively un-creepy? I read a little of Nisekoi and that seemed pretty inoffensive, something like that. This is more for manga than anime, but there's no manga recommendation thread

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

icantfindaname posted:

What's a good shounen romcom/harem series that is relatively un-creepy? I read a little of Nisekoi and that seemed pretty inoffensive, something like that. This is more for manga than anime, but there's no manga recommendation thread

Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girls is legit great.

edit: Whoops, missed the manga bit. It's still a great watch though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
My Monster Secret is very good and finishes very strongly, the english localization is available on amazon too and is good. it can get a little pervy at times, but a lot of the time it's an adorkable romcom romp with, well, with a whole bunch of goofy lovable idiots.

the anime squanders pretty much any potential the manga provides so give that a miss, but the manga is great

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jul 13, 2019

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

icantfindaname posted:

5-Toubun no Hanayome, aka The Quintessential Quintuplets has been pretty enjoyable

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3877889

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Helter Skelter posted:

If you're on android, Tachiyomi.

aight thanks will check it ou.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I want more weird apocalypse and philosophy mixed up like Eva and Devilmam Crybaby.

Bonus points for depression inducing!

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Wasabi the J posted:

I want more weird apocalypse and philosophy mixed up like Eva and Devilmam Crybaby.

If you want manga, I recommend Fourteen and The World Is Mine.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Wasabi the J posted:

Girls' Last Tour checks all three of those boxes, although it's not all that similar to your examples otherwise.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i mean... sort of? but even beyond the lack of any action or violence glt is a much more overtly optimistic and comforting approach to themes of depression and death. ymmv i guess but i wouldn't call it nearly as depressing as crybaby, it's more just, melancholic

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jul 14, 2019

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

The Colonel posted:

i mean... sort of? but even beyond the lack of any action or violence glt is a much more overtly optimistic and comforting approach to themes of depression and death. ymmv i guess but i wouldn't call it nearly as depressing as crybaby, it's more just, melancholic

I think I was leaning too hard into sarcasm online. It doesn't have to be depressing but I am fascinated by artist interpretations of the end of the world.

It's kinda a weird modem fantasy thing I'm after maybe?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Wasabi the J posted:

Ai-Ren

It's not necessarily balls to the wall nuts like those but it's post-apocalyptic, very philosophical, and VERY depression inducing

quote:

Ikuru is a boy who doesn't have long to live. Grown up question the purpose of his life and the reason for his death, he's grown up constantly confused and lonely. Now, learning that he hasn't long to live, he requests that a special "girl" called a AGH-RMS be given to him. These people are genetically made so that they help heal and ease the mental burdens of someone who hasn't long to live. This manga is cute, sad and ultimately a story about life , death and humanity.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
From the New World maybe?

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

icantfindaname posted:

Actually related (and not really looing for a recommendation, but if there is one, great), but has there been a series that is basic harem/romcom, but the main character actually ends up with another member of the harem romantically, as opposed to who would be considered the main/default girl? I'm guessing that the industry in general is too safely conservative for even that most of the time.

Also no School Days. gently caress you! :3:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

Casshern Sins, really cool artstyle and a lot of philosophizing about intent vs result, what death means and whether its a good or bad thing to live with some fear of it, etc. it's kind of a fantasy/sci-fi mix since it's about robots but there's a fair few mostly unexplained metaelements.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Kokoro Wish posted:

Actually related (and not really looing for a recommendation, but if there is one, great), but has there been a series that is basic harem/romcom, but the main character actually ends up with another member of the harem romantically, as opposed to who would be considered the main/default girl? I'm guessing that the industry in general is too safely conservative for even that most of the time.

amagami ss and related anime technically? also oreimo for a bit lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kokoro Wish posted:

OreShura? Well, the manga ended like that, the anime had the confession scene but also had 'but their harem continues...'

I think maybe World God Only Knows, too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Kokoro Wish posted:

ookami shounen wa kyou mo uso o kasaneru