Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I mean, I dont think anybody gives a poo poo about the resistance as a whole, either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lmao it’s just the old EU all over again

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I'd consider drinking $30 sci-fi cocktails at a Disney park bar that looked like the interior of the Death Star or a star destroyer bridge but this "everything is garbage everywhere" (Just like the movies! It's like poetry, it rhymes!) design choice Disney is ramming through on their multi-billion dollar acquisition is just bad.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

The First Order's new base of operations is on Crait and the Sith Troopers are meant to blend in for stealth purposes

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Taintrunner posted:

Hate to spoil it but their purpose is to stand in the background, get chopped up, and move some plastic toys

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Taintrunner posted:

Except worse, somehow

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

s.i.r.e. posted:

It's confusing as hell, they decided to create a whole part of the park not based of the locales of the OT, but the ST then it's based of some location we've never seen and probably won't ever see? Why would I want to go to that? It's an area that has nothing that's attached to anyone save for a couple ship that are parked outside that you can't enter.

Also I think the dumbest part of the whole area in Disneyland is that there's a single ride and everything else is just a store where you can buy stuff. I mean, I understand having a bunch of Star Wars merch to sell in themed stores... but people go to theme parks primarily for the rides. Why isn't there 4 or 5 rides to enjoy? I mean poo poo, give me some Podracing, maybe group 4v4 TIE Fighter and X-Wing battles, the loving trench run.

Galaxy's Edge is basically the OG Star Tours line concept but as an entire land. Its great. The point of it is the immersion factor, which is why they made it a new planet. That way they can do story stuff specific to it and change things if they want and it gets to feel "living" without ruining whatever canon bullshit exists on any other planet. They really did an awesome job at it, and while it only has 1 ride now its going to have 2. The thing I like about the rides vs any other theme park land ride is they are designed to fit into the immersive experience. I think having "pod racer kiddie coaster" or "snow speeder bumper cars" could be amusing but would make the whole thing seem like a theme park rather than STAR WARS. Once Rise of the Resistance opens this year its gonna be loving sick that ride sounds bonkers.

I get a lot of the cynicism in this thread with Disney owning star wars and clearly wanting to make a buck off it, but Star Wars land does rule. And they didn't even get rid of Star Tours or The Launch Bay! You can see characters there too and ride Star Tours, which is better than the Falcon ride! (Although the Falcon line has some great ambient stuff with radio banter between Hondo's crew, it is better than the star tours line)

There is an App for Disneyland that you can use in Galaxys Edge that turns your phone into a "datapad" and you can take missions from star wars ppl in the resistance or the first order and they will have you running around scanning stuff. Im not doing that as an adult but it seems really cool for kids. Honestly the entire land is cool for kids, I wish I had it when I was a kid. Hollywood studio's fake endor bunker & the star tours entrance were all I had and that was cool. This is 1 million times cooler.

They were never going to be able to deliver ALL of the iconic locations you'd want to visit from Star Wars (like lets get real, had they made one it would have been Tatooine straight up), so they eschewed it for something they could go wild with without breaking the existing story telling of star wars & give them a chance to mess around. It really works. The costuming for the employees is great, the characters wandering around is cool, and the land itself is full of details, lighting, and ambient sounds.

Anyone on the fence about it who can afford to go to Disney should give it a try. It beats any of the universal IOA / Studios lands & any of the existing Disney park lands.

AlternateAccount posted:

This is so astonishingly cringe. $200 for some plasticky plumbing fixtures from Home Depot and high-school drama club level performances. Tiny kid me would eat it right up, but to see a room full of grown-rear end adults...

I liked it! The lightsaber is metal pieces over a plastic electronic sheath for the batteries and the blade connector. Its incredibly sturdy and is worth the price compared to the "Force FX" sabers that were $100+ at Target. I will 100% buy a 2nd one when they announce that the "scavengers" found new pieces and they increase the customization.

thrawn527 posted:

They have a FastPass system that cuts down on the lines, basically scheduling a time you can ride a ride and wait in a really short line instead. One that I'm shocked other theme parks haven't adopted yet. (Universal Studios here in Orlando lets guests who stay in one of three of their hotels use their hotel key to skip the line, but that makes the trip even more expensive because it's the three most expensive hotels they run.)

It should be noted, however, that the Falcon ride currently doesn't allow FastPasses (and won't in Orlando for a while either). They said they'll add it later.

Universal had a fastpass, it was called Express Pass and I was on the Express Team circa 2007. They slowly phased it out as a free service and started selling 36 dollar booklets with express passes pre printed inside. Hotel key card users could always get in the line. Eventually they reduced the # of express pass machines & personnel and my job basically changed to "wander around an area sweeping up trash & helping guests" which mostly meant hanging in various ride break rooms & drinking free soda from the vendor girls. Twister had the best break room FYI.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jul 13, 2019

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Jerkface posted:

Galaxy's Edge is basically the OG Star Tours line concept but as an entire land. Its great. The point of it is the immersion factor, which is why they made it a new planet. That way they can do story stuff specific to it and change things if they want and it gets to feel "living" without ruining whatever canon bullshit exists on any other planet. They really did an awesome job at it, and while it only has 1 ride now its going to have 2. The thing I like about the rides vs any other theme park land ride is they are designed to fit into the immersive experience. I think having "pod racer kiddie coaster" or "snow speeder bumper cars" could be amusing but would make the whole thing seem like a theme park rather than STAR WARS. Once Rise of the Resistance opens this year its gonna be loving sick that ride sounds bonkers.

I get a lot of the cynicism in this thread with Disney owning star wars and clearly wanting to make a buck off it, but Star Wars land does rule. And they didn't even get rid of Star Tours or The Launch Bay! You can see characters there too and ride Star Tours, which is better than the Falcon ride! (Although the Falcon line has some great ambient stuff with radio banter between Hondo's crew, it is better than the star tours line)

There is an App for Disneyland that you can use in Galaxys Edge that turns your phone into a "datapad" and you can take missions from star wars ppl in the resistance or the first order and they will have you running around scanning stuff. Im not doing that as an adult but it seems really cool for kids. Honestly the entire land is cool for kids, I wish I had it when I was a kid. Hollywood studio's fake endor bunker & the star tours entrance were all I had and that was cool. This is 1 million times cooler.

They were never going to be able to deliver ALL of the iconic locations you'd want to visit from Star Wars (like lets get real, had they made one it would have been Tatooine straight up), so they eschewed it for something they could go wild with without breaking the existing story telling of star wars & give them a chance to mess around. It really works. The costuming for the employees is great, the characters wandering around is cool, and the land itself is full of details, lighting, and ambient sounds.

Anyone on the fence about it who can afford to go to Disney should give it a try. It beats any of the universal IOA / Studios lands & any of the existing Disney park lands.

I liked it! The lightsaber is metal pieces over a plastic electronic sheath for the batteries and the blade connector. Its incredibly sturdy and is worth the price compared to the "Force FX" sabers that were $100+ at Target. I will 100% buy a 2nd one when they announce that the "scavengers" found new pieces and they increase the customization.

I'm glad you like all of that, but it honestly sounds like dogshit to me. :shrug:

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Taintrunner posted:

he has a blaster amd stormtrooper armor. I wonder what he does :thunk:

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Flavius Aetass posted:

he has a blaster amd stormtrooper armor. I wonder what he does :thunk:

Get smoked by Poe Dameron whos gonna say something like "They come in red now?!"

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Jerkface posted:

Get smoked by Poe Dameron whos gonna say something like "They come in red now?!"

lol do you write for disney

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The worst part is Star War 9 isn’t going to be bad, it’s going to be Transformers 4 level of you forget it as you’re watching it. Give me a memorable piece of poo poo over that any day.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

You could be right but I’m optimistic for it to be memorably bad. Granted JJ and memorable don’t reside on the same continent under normal circumstances, but him being forced to stick around for the end of a pileup of lovely mystery box decisions he began is itself abnormal

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Ghost Palps: "Kylo Ren, you have successfully completed my... first order."
Handful of audience members: "Ooooooooh! That was so clever! What a payoff!"
[JJ high-fives himself]

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Payndz posted:

Ghost Palps: "Kylo Ren, you have successfully completed my... first order."
Handful of audience members: "Ooooooooh! That was so clever! What a payoff!"
[JJ high-fives himself]

Oh gently caress me, this is absolutely happening, isn’t it

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Zoran posted:

Considering what I've seen pass for movie writing lately, I can see it happening too.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

No Mods No Masters posted:

You could be right but I’m optimistic for it to be memorably bad. Granted JJ and memorable don’t reside on the same continent under normal circumstances, but him being forced to stick around for the end of a pileup of lovely mystery box decisions he began is itself abnormal

You’re implying he will not just set up new “mystery boxes” ad infinitum? He’s a con man through and through

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Wild Horses posted:

You’re implying he will not just set up new “mystery boxes” ad infinitum? He’s a con man through and through

I’m sure he’ll try, but the nature of his fraudness should be on open shambolic display in the process. See: sith trooper.jpg

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Wild Horses posted:

In hindsight it's a surprise he didn't do any long-term / open-ended mystery stuff with Star Trek.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

s.i.r.e. posted:

It's confusing as hell, they decided to create a whole part of the park not based of the locales of the OT, but the ST then it's based of some location we've never seen and probably won't ever see? Why would I want to go to that? It's an area that has nothing that's attached to anyone save for a couple ship that are parked outside that you can't enter.

See, and i'm all about some random planet. I like the idea of seeing new worlds that are still recognizable, and I think expanding the universe is the only way for Star Wars to stay relevant for another dozen movies. The themes and setting of Star Wars are compelling, right? Surely it's not just the Skywalker family everyone gives a poo poo about. And this sort of loose tie in, name drop stuff is the sort of nerd itch that comic books (and the MCU) have been successfully exploiting for a while.

Of course, there's a compelling argument to be made that they should just stop making movies, but if there's a button that says "make money" on it, it's real hard to not push that button.

Bogus Adventure posted:

I'm glad you like all of that, but it honestly sounds like dogshit to me. :shrug:

Disney Parks always require a certain level of buy-in from (adult) guests to get past the insane grossness of how everything is "fake" and fundamentally there to extract money from you. Like, if meeting Kylo Ren, who grills you while staring you down, doesn't get your motor running because it's a college drama student who's probably underpaid, I don't blame you a whit.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

In hindsight it's a surprise he didn't do any long-term / open-ended mystery stuff with Star Trek.

It's almost as if his reputation for 'mystery boxes' is massively overstated...

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Is Aurra Sing still alive? I like her. Put her in Star Wars land.

Pushed off a cliff, if Solo is anything to go by

So she's still alive, and will return with half her body replaced by cybernetics

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Jerkface posted:

I get a lot of the cynicism in this thread with Disney owning star wars and clearly wanting to make a buck off it, but Star Wars land does rule.

I'm not sure how "great" it is when no one is visiting it and it's basically a ghost town according to friends. I get the appeal of basically a glorified LARPing zone, but when there's literally nothing to do there, it's too expensive and for the real hardcore nerds who want to really live the experience can't even dress in the costumes they bought there, then lol what's the point.

Boxman posted:

See, and i'm all about some random planet. I like the idea of seeing new worlds that are still recognizable, and I think expanding the universe is the only way for Star Wars to stay relevant for another dozen movies. The themes and setting of Star Wars are compelling, right? Surely it's not just the Skywalker family everyone gives a poo poo about. And this sort of loose tie in, name drop stuff is the sort of nerd itch that comic books (and the MCU) have been successfully exploiting for a while.

I like the idea of expanding on the universe and going beyond the Skywalker storyline and removing itself from the Jedi and Lightsabers, but to built a billion dollar theme park that has no relevance to anyone is a bold, and stupid, move.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Doctor Spaceman posted:

He didn't write the story for Star Trek or Into Darkness. They were written by a hack and a 9/11 truther.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Bogus Adventure posted:

He didn't write the story for Star Trek or Into Darkness. They were written by a hack and a 9/11 truther.

so jj abrams and who?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Flavius Aetass posted:

so jj abrams and who?

lmao

Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci.

JJ just directed.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

M_Sinistrari posted:

Considering what I've seen pass for movie writing lately, I can see it happening too.
That one scene in Solo where the Imperial officer gives him his name comes to mind

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

s.i.r.e. posted:

I'm not sure how "great" it is when no one is visiting it and it's basically a ghost town according to friends.

Attendance is down all over the park right now. Basically so many people said, 'We want to avoid the star wars land crowd' that nobody is showing up anywhere.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The nu-Treks are good precisely because they weren't made by Trek fans. There's a distinct distance (beyond the literal alternate universe plot) between them and the old stuff.

I remember peeps having concerns in 2018 when Abrams said he was more of a star wars guy but had respect for or interest in trek. He and the writers, regardless of Simon Pegg's claims, clearly based their stories more on the cultural osmosis of Trek than any real familiarity, as the seminal essay Kirk's Drift documents.

I totally understand where many old Trekkies' distaste comes from, but it's not hard to imagine Paramount trying a super safe and boring approach, like Disney has done.

Say what you will about their quality compared to old trek, but the new trilogy is wild and mean and carelessly stupid fun. Whereas the ST isn't even an interesting mess :(

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Blood Boils posted:

The nu-Treks are good precisely because they weren't made by Trek fans.

Kurtzman and Orci are Star Trek turbonerds, and Kurtzman is now effectively the God-King of Star Trek television.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Zoran posted:

Its already canon. Thats actually why they are called that.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Blood Boils posted:

The nu-Treks are good precisely because they weren't made by Trek fans. There's a distinct distance (beyond the literal alternate universe plot) between them and the old stuff.

I remember peeps having concerns in 2018 when Abrams said he was more of a star wars guy but had respect for or interest in trek. He and the writers, regardless of Simon Pegg's claims, clearly based their stories more on the cultural osmosis of Trek than any real familiarity, as the seminal essay Kirk's Drift documents.

I totally understand where many old Trekkies' distaste comes from, but it's not hard to imagine Paramount trying a super safe and boring approach, like Disney has done.

Say what you will about their quality compared to old trek, but the new trilogy is wild and mean and carelessly stupid fun. Whereas the ST isn't even an interesting mess :(

Eh...I wouldn't call them good, especially Into Darkness which is another attempt to remake Wrath of Khan. They turned a franchise that is supposed to be soft sci-fi dealing with social issues into another action vehicle.

Also, lens flare out the rear end.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Bogus Adventure posted:

They turned a franchise that is supposed to be soft sci-fi dealing with social issues into another action vehicle.

Eh Trek has been going in that direction since First Contact all the way back in the mid 90s.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Blood Boils posted:

They were okay enough to have me go see them at the show. I think I enjoyed the Trekkie wailing and gnashing of teeth as if the film police were going to break down their doors and confiscate all thier Trek media more entertaining.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Beyond was pretty fun, it felt like a 2 hour episode of amalgamated Star Trek which isn't ideal but I'll take it over the 09 reboot and Into Darkness. Jaylah is a better protagonist than Rey and it didn't take two movies of boring bullshit for that to happen.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Potential BFF posted:

Beyond was pretty fun, it felt like a 2 hour episode of amalgamated Star Trek which isn't ideal but I'll take it over the 09 reboot and Into Darkness. Jaylah is a better protagonist than Rey and it didn't take two movies of boring bullshit for that to happen.

Yeah Beyond is easily the best of the new Treks.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah Beyond is easily the best of the new Treks.
I prefer ST09. Beyond is ok but they completely botched everything with the villains to the point where it drags down the entire movie

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

banned from Starbucks posted:

Eh Trek has been going in that direction since First Contact all the way back in the mid 90s.

It wasn't a good direction, but at least it was limited to the movies. Now it's bleeding into the television shows.

Potential BFF posted:

Beyond was a very good idea, but poorly executed. At the very least, it felt like it tried to be different (until they blew up the Enterprise and replaced it with the NCC-1701-A because apparently we must copy at least something from every Star Trek movie).

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I can't believe you fucks are disrespecting the man who wrote Felicity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

The new Star Trek movies were awesome and are like the only Trek related media I've enjoyed. But I'm not a fan of any of the shows, so I guess they accomplished their mission of making it something a filthy casual would like.