Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Calaveron posted:

I had forgotten how obnoxious the chapter titles were in adwd

I thought it was an interesting storytelling device, but he should've been using it from the beginning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

So July 2020 is GRRM's new deadline to blow for Winds of Winter. I thought he said in a blog post that he'd have a manuscript ready for some upcoming convention but oh well

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

ruddiger posted:

So July 2020 is GRRM's new deadline to blow for Winds of Winter. I thought he said in a blog post that he'd have a manuscript ready for some upcoming convention but oh well

It's nice to have something to look forward to.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

ruddiger posted:

that convention is in august 2020, so it's the same statement more or less

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

This moving deadline is just to delay his own murder by his publisher I assume?

That if he went "RIP who knows?" they would just sue him.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
I'm fairly certain book publishers are in the financial doghouse nowadays :smith:

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
So its gonna take him, optimistically, 9 years to finish a book where he moved a bunch of chapters from the book he *did* release into the beginning of it.

Just finish the book GRRM.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

TIL that George visited the Paris catacombs in 2015. He wanted to give an interview there and share some of his historical knowledge with fans and journalists. Most of the catacombs are closed to the public and it's illegal to wander there so a reputed guide led the group down one of the illegal passageways. Only problem is that GRRM could not use the planned entrance because he was too fat to fit through. They ended up negotiating with the police to open a staircase that's normally barred from public access to let him in. He had to carry a red cushion with him all the way through.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x20vxk3

Should have left him down there with some paper and candles.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

banned from Starbucks posted:

"Do you expect me to write, T.B. Thread?"

"No, Mr. GRRM, I expect you to diet!"

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

Someone should lure him into a small study with promises of reading an early draft of Conan the Barbarian, then wall him up.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Kylaer posted:

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Kylaer posted:

:kiss:

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
A masterpiece.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

mossyfisk posted:

A masterpiece.

The American Tolkien.

Though actually, I'm not a huge LotR fan.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Mike N Eich posted:

So its gonna take him, optimistically, 9 years to finish a book where he moved a bunch of chapters from the book he *did* release into the beginning of it.

Just finish the book GRRM.

Remember the 2016 new year's post where he apologised because he really thought he could have had the book ready by late 2015?

...These books are never coming out, are they? :(

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Vichan posted:

Remember the 2016 new year's post where he apologised because he really thought he could have had the book ready by late 2015?

...These books are never coming out, are they? :(

Have faith: "... work on WINDS OF WINTER continues, and remains my top priority," sayeth the GURM.

Any day now.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Woodpile posted:

Have faith: "... work on WINDS OF WINTER continues, and remains my top priority," sayeth the GURM.

Any day now.

In all seriousness, I expect to see Winds of Winter relatively soon but unless GRRM gets over whatever hump he's stuck on we'll never see the last book.

Back in 2008 I found all those 'GRRM will die' comments to be extremely mean-spirited and I always wanted to stay optimistic but 11 years later and he's only released one more book.

Meanwhile his old assistant managed to write an acclaimed science fiction series starting in 2011 of which the 9th and final novel is supposed to come out in 2020.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Vichan posted:

Meanwhile his old assistant managed to write an acclaimed science fiction series starting in 2011 of which the 9th and final novel is supposed to come out in 2020.

gurm started to hit critical slowdown right when franck would have been leaving to focus on Leviathan Wakes... :thunk:

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 15, 2019

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Vichan posted:

In all seriousness, I expect to see Winds of Winter relatively soon but unless GRRM gets over whatever hump he's stuck on we'll never see the last book.

Back in 2008 I found all those 'GRRM will die' comments to be extremely mean-spirited and I always wanted to stay optimistic but 11 years later and he's only released one more book.

GRRM already said the next deadline he's going to blow is July 2020.

I'm thinking 2025 is when GRRM finally suffers that massive stroke/heart attack/diabetic shock/misc lethal ailment and his estate reveals the dead man's switch which incinerated all of his notes.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Sir Terry Pratchett died at 66 and Brian Jacques at 71, GRRM is already 70 and if he lives to see 2025 that will be a cosmic tragedy of justice.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Picked up the world of ice and fire for like $12 at a used book store. If it sucks at least I didnt give a fat lazy gently caress any money.

banned from Starbucks fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jul 15, 2019

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Kylaer posted:

Sir Terry Pratchett died at 66 and Brian Jacques at 71, GRRM is already 70 and if he lives to see 2025 that will be a cosmic tragedy of justice.

Rich people have access to the best health care so it wouldn't surprise me to see GRMM live a while yet.

Even if he does, I can't see him getting any faster at writing as he ages. Maybe him finishing Winds and untying all the eight billion plot threads he has going will allow him to just steam roll through book 7 in just a few years, but I doubt it.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

GRRMs head in a jar on Brandon Sanderson's desk. Yelling at him to hurry up.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Vichan posted:

You mean the 9 book series that was only supposed to be a trilogy and then got bloated just like GRRM.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Cardiac posted:

You mean the 9 book series that was only supposed to be a trilogy and then got bloated just like GRRM.

Yes, that one. I've enjoyed every one of those I've read so far, though. Currently on book 5!

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Fortunately F&SF writers past 70 have no well-know tendency for their writing to become horrible parodies of their younger selves work.

*Checks notes*

:ohdear:

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Kylaer posted:

Brian Jacques at 71

tbf have you seen liverpudian cuisine

any scottsman or north-englishman who lives past like 55 is a medical marvel

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Gurm is still an absolute fucker.

quote:

“I felt a tremendous amount of pressure for years now,” he says. “The most pressure I felt was a few years ago when I was desperately trying to stay ahead of the show. There was a point when the show was coming out in April and my editors said if I could finish the book by December they’d rush it out. And the pressure I felt that fall was the greatest pressure I’ve ever felt and then at a certain point it became apparent I’m not going to finish it by then. I don’t only want to finish it, I want to make it as good as I possibly can. Since then there’s been pressure but not like there was at that point. There’s no longer a race. The show is over. I’m writing the book. It will be done when it’s done.”

https://ew.com/tv/2019/07/15/george-rr-martin-game-thrones-fan-reactions/

It’s a good thing I stopped caring about new books years ago. There’s much better reading to do elsewhere (and releases regularly).

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
the real song of ice and fire was the friends we lost along the way

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

is the book out yet

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

I like em stacked. I know this isn't how the meme works, but It's like she keeps opening to different pages, shuts it, opens it shuts it. just loving gives up.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Did anyone post this yet?
https://ew.com/tv/2019/07/15/george-rr-martin-game-thrones-fan-reactions/

the american tolkein posted:

Martin added that watching the recent GoT final season was a bit of a strange experience given the different version he’s still writing. “The whole last three years have been strange since the show got ahead of the books,” he says. “Yes, I told [showrunners David Benioff and Dan Weiss] a number of things years ago. And some of them they did do. But at the same time, it’s different. I have very fixed ideas in my head as I’m writing The Winds of Winter and beyond that in terms of where things are going. It’s like two alternate realities existing side by side. I have to double down and do my version of it which is what I’ve been doing.”

Asked if he feels more pressure or less now that the HBO series has concluded, Martin explained that the pressure already peaked for him a few years ago.

“I felt a tremendous amount of pressure for years now,” he says. “The most pressure I felt was a few years ago when I was desperately trying to stay ahead of the show. There was a point when the show was coming out in April and my editors said if I could finish the book by December they’d rush it out. And the pressure I felt that fall was the greatest pressure I’ve ever felt and then at a certain point it became apparent I’m not going to finish it by then. I don’t only want to finish it, I want to make it as good as I possibly can. Since then there’s been pressure but not like there was at that point. There’s no longer a race. The show is over. I’m writing the book. It will be done when it’s done.”

lol uhhuh fat man

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

GRRM posted:

"There’s no longer a race."

lol it never was a race. If we're using that analogy he fell over right after the starting line and knocked himself unconscious.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

"i have very fixed ideas" says large man who has not written any of these ideas down into what one could call a book

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

He meant “fixed” as in “fixed” that shitass last season.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

lmfao

There was a period of tremendous pressure to finish and release a book and I tried real hard and absolutely did not release a book, but uh trust me it's totally coming now that I don't feel any of that pressure

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Can someone just pay some make-a-wish kid to blow their wish on meeting this fat gently caress and getting the real ending out of him?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Can someone just pay some make-a-wish kid to blow their wish on meeting this fat gently caress and getting the real ending out of him?

The show ending is the Canon ending

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

The canon ending is malleable cause you know he is changing everything.