Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

asur posted:

Climbers should have stronger back

I assume this is not true if, hypothetically, one primarily only climbed slab walls? My lower back has been very sore lately, but it wasn't until reading this did I make the connection of, "Oh I've been climbing a lot of really overhung stuff the past 2 weeks, that's probably why"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

How then to not have lovely posture? Just concentrate on keeping your shoulders back? Don't be lazy about posture? Or are there exercises you can do to help?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Jester Mcgee posted:

How then to not have lovely posture? Just concentrate on keeping your shoulders back? Don't be lazy about posture? Or are there exercises you can do to help?

I’m nursing a minor SLAP tear so I’ve been all about shoulder stuff recently.

https://theclimbingdoctor.com/slapd-with-a-shoulder-injury/

Lots of info on those fragile fragile shoulders

Impromptu Flip
Aug 30, 2008
I'm not an expert but I hosed my shoulder up last year so I learned a load about it from my physiotherapist to avoid it happening again. My probably-flawed amateur understanding is: the lats are the primary muscle involved in pulling us upward, i.e. the upper arm down, and they aren't an external rotator of the shoulder. There's no real external rotation happening during climbing. Everyone has bad posture anyway due to sitting at a desk all day which results in tightness in the internal rotators/pecs etc, weak external rotators, and a bunch of other factors I can't enumerate (lack of t-spine extension, blah blah blah)

I've had incredibly good results doing face pulls, particularly with a raise at the top for lower traps. Just make sure you have good form. Jeff Cavaliere will tell you all about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIq5CB9JfKE

It's a complicated joint so there's a lot going on and your mileage my vary (poor core connection to the ribcage can contribute to shoulder instability which is what led to my injury). I also warm up my rotator cuff as part of my shoulder warmup. My shoulders feel awesome.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I'm looking to climb in Yosemite for a week in September, probably mostly in Tuolumne Meadows, but I've never been there before. Can anyone give me a brain dump of camping options and permit requirements maybe?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

My brother was visiting this past week, and he's a hardcore working-out type person but had never climbed before. He wanted to hit up the gym and I wanted to share my newly-found love of climbing with him, so we hit the bouldering walls.

You already know where this is going.

He was about to finish a somewhat slabby v3 (that wasn't a very hard v3), but unable to get his foot up on a high placement to finish off the problem, and decided to eventually bail by sort of jumping off the wall. He lands decently, but I think pretty close to the base of the wall. He says "I think I just broke my ankle." So we carry him out of there and sure enough, he snapped it. Might even need surgery if his tendon is hosed.

I feel super guilty about it, like I shouldn't have pushed him to try something like that, but with his athleticism I thought he could handle it and see some success. It's not like I really ever learned to fall correctly or feel like I learned something special in my bouldering... but I probably should have explained climbing down more vs. jumping somewhat far.

I'm sharing this story as a reminder to everyone that bouldering is inherently dangerous and to properly orient people as best you can.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Yup... Bouldering is the worst

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

spwrozek posted:

Yup... Bouldering is the worst

Reductive, at best. The gym clearly did not having proper controls in place to educate new climbers.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Ubiquitus posted:

Reductive, at best. The gym clearly did not having proper controls in place to educate new climbers.

Our gym forces everyone to go through an orientation where they tell you to down climb if you can and go over how to fall. Not sure I'd boulder at all anymore if I didn't feel comfortable falling from the top of the wall though. I down climb whenever I can just to save wear and tear on my knees, but definitely learn to fall and practice a lot if you're going to boulder.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

M. Night Skymall posted:

Our gym forces everyone to go through an orientation where they tell you to down climb if you can and go over how to fall. Not sure I'd boulder at all anymore if I didn't feel comfortable falling from the top of the wall though. I down climb whenever I can just to save wear and tear on my knees, but definitely learn to fall and practice a lot if you're going to boulder.

The gym he fell at does the same. It is like 15 min long.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

spwrozek posted:

The gym he fell at does the same. It is like 15 min long.

We just walked in, he filled out a waiver, and we were on walls. I also don't remember having to do that when I joined.

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...

M. Night Skymall posted:

You at Momentum?

I constantly push my athletic non-climbing friends on V3s but definitely start spraying them down if it looks like they might hurt themselves. Strong bros especially get a little embarassed when little kids and women are climbing 5+ grade levels higher than them and will often try extremely hard out of pure ego. Of course, trying hard when you know nothing is a potential recipe for injury. I think you shouldn't feel guilty - dude just got unlucky.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

ShaneB posted:

We just walked in, he filled out a waiver, and we were on walls. I also don't remember having to do that when I joined.

Yeah, they have a required video before bouldering. At least at the golden one, so shine l assume the same at Englewood.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

spwrozek posted:

Yeah, they have a required video before bouldering. At least at the golden one, so shine l assume the same at Englewood.

Apparently hard to enforce. I didn't even know it was a thing.

Anyway, yeah, I feel a lot of the blame, if there is any, falls on me for thinking it didn't require good orientation. I'll never take anyone bouldering again, honestly.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I feel like my Momentum bouldering gym has started to have a quick sort of “learn to Boulder” class on top of the video that was mandatory watching.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

All else aside, I took their (edit: this is ET) free intro to bouldering class which was mostly spent on learning how to fall, but I also don’t remember a video or anything required for bouldering outside of the liability waiver

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

rest his guts posted:

You at Momentum?

I climb at the various Summit gyms in Dallas, but I bet they take a lot of policies from each other since they're somewhat close but not actually competitive with each other.

Since we're on the topic of giant commercial gym policies, does everyone's gym bolt every 4 feet? Summit just opened their first "mega gym" with 55 foot walls and there are 13 clips + the chains I think. It feels completely ridiculous since you're constantly clipping, and it's not like they can set a good place to clip from because then basically every hold would have to be a good place to clip from, so it really messes with the route difficulty. You either have to be way too strong for it or decide for your red point go which clips you want to skip.

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me

George H.W. oval office posted:

I feel like my Momentum bouldering gym has started to have a quick sort of “learn to Boulder” class on top of the video that was mandatory watching.

As someone who used to teach those classes, they're insanely bad. Most of the class is theoretically spent emphasizing awareness, fall safety, and straight arms, but we generally end up just giving people beta on v2s and teaching the learn to boulder v3 content, which is the real injury prevention content since it goes over basic technique. It's actually hosed that they charge people for the V3 class. Momentum, as well as most commercial gyms, deliberately set V0-V2 to be easy enough that virtually anyone can do them.

Kenny and Amin (think they're the Huston setters now?) are cool setters, though. The entire strength of Momentum is in the setting - they only hire people with national/international comp setting experience.

rest his guts fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 10, 2019

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

asur posted:

I'm confused here. Climbers should have stronger back and lats than normal which would help pull their shoulders back. Pushups would counter this climber imbalance, but seems like they'd exacerbate forward rotated shoulders.

I think it's cause a lot of climbing arm moves are a pull in towards your core, either sideways or overhead, which tends to overdevelop muscles in the boob area. The obvious solution is to learn to press through moves more.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

M. Night Skymall posted:

I climb at the various Summit gyms in Dallas, but I bet they take a lot of policies from each other since they're somewhat close but not actually competitive with each other.

Since we're on the topic of giant commercial gym policies, does everyone's gym bolt every 4 feet? Summit just opened their first "mega gym" with 55 foot walls and there are 13 clips + the chains I think. It feels completely ridiculous since you're constantly clipping, and it's not like they can set a good place to clip from because then basically every hold would have to be a good place to clip from, so it really messes with the route difficulty. You either have to be way too strong for it or decide for your red point go which clips you want to skip.

I believe ET is in the 4-5' range. Lots of clips, I skip clips a lot, or I low clip slightly below my waist (annoying but better for outside leading). It is all based on insurance, just is what it is.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Baby steps:
https://twitter.com/ffrancepack/status/1148634226432122880?s=21

M. Night Skymall posted:

I think my gym is 50 feet and...I wanna guess 8. Image searching around it looks like 8-9 + chains on the straight walls, so pretty similar. Definitely skipped clips on accident here and there, and intentionally on certain clips/wall segments where it felt way better to just get to the next clip.

That actually reminds me of Holcomb a few weeks ago. Didn't lead but I noticed how generous it was with bolts, looked pretty similar to gym spacing and my (more experienced) friends remarked about it too. Maybe not as close, but close enough and consistent that I didn't notice any long runouts (is that the term?) between bolts.

Course that didn't help the mental game when some of the cruxes seemed to be before the first bolt, might as well be bouldering :v:

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Anyone have suggestions for wrist stretches / exercises? My left wrist is having a pinching pain when I rotate it palm up and twist my left hand towards my body.

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me

Spikes32 posted:

Anyone have suggestions for wrist stretches / exercises? My left wrist is having a pinching pain when I rotate it palm up and twist my left hand towards my body.

I’m a big fan of the Theraband Flexbar - cured me of severe forearm and minor wrist pain in a matter of weeks.

Here are some good exercises (might have to scan for relevant exercises since these videos are pretty comprehensive):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOxEERsmB5Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lH0g4UWTJYo

As far as which bar to select, virtually everyone I know uses/endorses the green, regardless of strength.

rest his guts fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jul 11, 2019

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

rest his guts posted:

I’m a big fan of the Theraband Flexbar - cured me of severe forearm and minor wrist pain in a matter of weeks.

Here are some good exercises (might have to scan for relevant exercises since these videos are pretty comprehensive):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOxEERsmB5Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lH0g4UWTJYo

As far as which bar to select, virtually everyone I know uses/endorses the green, regardless of strength.

Awesome thank you! Ordering it tonight

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
No problem dude. Keep me posted if it works out for you.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I dont know what it is with crack climbing but I enjoy it despite the anguish of learning and getting better.

Yesterday I top roped a crack that had a long horizontal section on a face with no good footing! Also the crack was often too wide or too small for hand jamming so I had to aid it with cams (hand jamming skills = good, not so much other crack climbing techniques)

aiding is my new policy for tough top rope routes. If all else fails without aid it is best to still move forward rather than stop

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

You are on TR so you should be at least trying the moves 3-4 times before aiding through.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Flashed a pair of V5s today hell yeah

Hauki
May 11, 2010

finally got my first proper v4 in the gym friday night, then went out and got my rear end kicked at radiohead for a while yesterday - but I did get in my first multipitch, my first trad follow and my first rappel though, we did a dual rope system to the top then rapped ~200' off both ropes. We tried to lead some harder single pitch sport stuff, took a couple good falls, got in plenty of bruises and a pretty good rope burn and I'm sore af today

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I dont know what it is with crack climbing but I enjoy it despite the anguish of learning and getting better.

Crack climbing is the worship of a sulky god. The crack devours all who lack humility. "Easy" cries a layback artist. He falls to the ground, drained of life.
Favour must be earned. Subtle arts mastered. Hard lessons bought with skin and dignity.
Hot blood and seep-water. Weeping sores. Scars in braille.
The crack accepts. The jam is perfect. The devotee ascends.

crazycello
Jul 22, 2009

asur posted:

I'm confused here. Climbers should have stronger back and lats than normal which would help pull their shoulders back. Pushups would counter this climber imbalance, but seems like they'd exacerbate forward rotated shoulders.

This is half correct in that pushups do cause forward rotated shoulders (or internal rotation in fancy-speak), but the ironic thing is that the way lats insert on the humerus actually causes them to internally rotate as well when they're big and strong. So having a big strong back actually causes the same shoulder imbalance as someone who can bench press a fuckload. This is why strengthening up rear deltoids and various muscles in the rotator cuff is the hot thing in shoulder recovery / injury prevention, because strengthening these helps externally rotate the humerus and fix the imbalance.

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
For me, TRX Ts and Ys (3x15, 3x10) were basically all that was needed to fix my imbalance. Rear delt flys should also do the trick.

General antagonist training: I like to make sure I do at least one chest press (usually bench, although weighted dips might be more beneficial for climbing specifically), two rear delt lifts (above), and one chest squeeze (fridge lift - 3 sets to exhaustion) twice per week. It's definitely helped strengthen my shoulder girdle and the chest work has helped a lot with compressing and learning to activate the chest when I am pulling down hard.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
speaking of shoulders, after doing a particularly hard problem on the shoulders i woke up the next day with weird shoulder instability. its not really sore like a torn rotator cuff would be, but occasionally it just feels like it slips the joint and that stings for a short time. its weird, ive never had this before

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

it might be bicep tendonitis. i've had my left shoulder operated on twice to repair a torn labrum, and during my second bout of physical therapy i experienced exactly what you described - sharp pain followed by what felt like my joint slipping. it wasn't a constant soreness but i remember the two things that triggered it were either heavy shoulder exercises or, for some reason, playing guitar. the only thing that made it go away was to rest it for a week or two.

that said, you should probably get it checked by a medical professional

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

American Alpine Club released their first Inaugural State of Climbing Report (PDF).

It's pretty slick, with lots of good info. Some highlights:

quote:

• According to Outdoor Industry Association (OIA), in 2014, there were approximately 7.7 million participants in climbing in the U.S., up from 7.26 million the previous year.
  • OIA’s demographic data suggests that if you head to the nearest gym or crag, and you’ll see a lot of Millennials: 65% of climbers are between the ages of 18 and 35.
  • Among indoor climbers, OIA’s data suggests a relatively even gender split: 58% are men; 42% are women. But among climbers who head outside, we’re seeing far more men (67%) than women (33%). Median age, percentage of folks who are married and have kids—they’re pretty much the same.
  • According to the American Alpine Club’s 2018 survey, the AAC membership is overwhelmingly white (85%) and male (72%); non-members who took the survey are also mostly white (82%) and male (57%).
  • In the gym: climbing is growing. :siren:According to the Climbing Wall Association, in 2017, on average, facilities have 100 new members/month.:siren:
  • According to OIA, 4.4% of all Americans now climb indoors; a decade ago, they weren’t even tracking this statistic.

Good time to open a climbing gym, loving christ...

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
It's a good time to open a climbing gym if you:
-have around two million dollars of capital
-frontload the amenities (fitness classes, yoga, acro-yoga, 'movement')
-provide a sauna (mandatory depending on where you live. you wouldn't believe how much this single factors determines who climbs where)
-provide a communal space (bar/restaurant)
-know how to market yourself as the cool gym
-are not afraid of chain-gyms (Touchstone, Momentum, the various Bouldering Projects) aggressively vying to be the top-dog and attempting to overtake your business

Most of this stuff pertains to big cities with vibrant climbing cultures. If I were a betting man, I'd probably look to the suburbs/large towns that think they're cities instead.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

enraged_camel posted:

According to the Climbing Wall Association, in 2017, on average, facilities have 100 new members/month

I wonder how many members they're netting each month.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

$2M sounds low to me, but I have absolutely no clue what it costs. I'm sure it varies greatly depending on the size of the facility, but yea between setters/staff, equipment, insurance etc... It's got to be a lot.

Here in Buffalo there's this place Niagra Climbing Center which is pretty budget, I went once 5 years ago and never went back after my initial experience went like so:

Me: "Hi, I'd like to rent a pair of shoes"
Employee: "Really? You can just use your sneakers"

They're only $15 cheaper than the Central Rock that just opened a branch here too. Way smaller, just all around less "professional" feeling, for lack of a better term. I'd be really curious to see how their numbers have been effected since the CRG opened.

Good timing for their opening too, a popular local brewery literally just opened up a second location adjacent to the gym last week.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Are saunas in the Bouldering gym a thing? I go to four or five gyms in my city in the UK, have been to one in another UK city, and one each in Ireland and Stockholm, and none had saunas.

Sounds nice though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

rest his guts posted:

It's a good time to open a climbing gym if you:
-have around two million dollars of capital
-frontload the amenities (fitness classes, yoga, acro-yoga, 'movement')
-provide a sauna (mandatory depending on where you live. you wouldn't believe how much this single factors determines who climbs where)
-provide a communal space (bar/restaurant)
-know how to market yourself as the cool gym
-are not afraid of chain-gyms (Touchstone, Momentum, the various Bouldering Projects) aggressively vying to be the top-dog and attempting to overtake your business

Most of this stuff pertains to big cities with vibrant climbing cultures. If I were a betting man, I'd probably look to the suburbs/large towns that think they're cities instead.

I think the biggest issue with the random towns thing is finding setters. You can get Walltopia to come in and do your walls, you can staff your mega gym with people who don't climb and it won't matter, but if your town is not near climbing/big enough for people to want to live there anyway, you can't afford to pay setters enough to get them to move there. I remember some of the setters laughing about some gym in a mid-sized town in Texas that's huge and has beautiful walls and absolutely horrific setting because they just can't find anyone and the gym's terrible to climb at as a result. Maybe it doesn't matter for profit though if people are showing up for the sauna.