Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Anomalous Blowout posted:

I write Into the Mire and I’m a chick! A gay chick even. So yes, I have some Opinions about how a lot of webfic handles ~the female/lesbian experience.~ I try not to get too preachy because it’s all just fiction and we’re all just here to have a good time, but you can definitely tell when a straight dude who has no clue how lady bodies work is writing that stuff, lol.

Well I kept meaning to type up a post to introduce myself/my serial but I guess that’s as good an excuse as any.

Thank you very much to everyone in this thread who’s recommended and read Mire over the last year and a half. :)

Coincidentally, I just posted the final chapter of Book 1 last week, so the first story is now totally self-contained if you’re the type of person who likes the assurance of knowing the thing they’re reading actually has an ending.

Welcome to the thread! I have not yet read Into the Mire but it's on my shortlist, and I'll add you to the OP next time I do a sweep.

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

The audience doesn't give a poo poo.

It's this. I'm even guilty of that myself, I'll notice some typos occasionally but still not really give a drat because I can still comprehend everything completely fine and I'm more concerned with what's happening than how it's written, at least on a first pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I almost kill myself reading some of the sentences and I can't believe they don't fix it cause it's so easy.

But I can't be bothered complaining about it.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

The Prac guide author's french, so I can forgive them some grammer issues

Gitro
May 29, 2013
I'm sexually aroused by bad grammar so it's win win here

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I'm really glad I started reading into the mire aswell. Good work author I really like the setting.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

New PracGuide. I love seeing how effortlessly Cat and Hakram see through Abigail.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Double posting because y’all some lazy bastards. Looks like we’re not the only ones tired of Kairos.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

anyone able to give me a link to some ebook versions of the completed prac guide books to date for a friend? he hates the website

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Putting such things directly on the internet is frowned upon. I created a couple for my wife using this tool: https://github.com/kemayo/leech

Then converted the epubs to mobi using calibre. Calibre is easy enough to use, but the python script is a bit non-trivial.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
Try http://www.omnibuser.com/

edit: Just tested it, and omnibuser skips the extra chapters found here: https://practicalguidetoevil.wordpress.com/extra-chapters/

Avulsion fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jul 10, 2019

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012

Well I kept meaning to type up a post to introduce myself/my serial but I guess that’s as good an excuse as any.

Thank you very much to everyone in this thread who’s recommended and read Mire over the last year and a half. :)

Coincidentally, I just posted the final chapter of Book 1 last week, so the first story is now totally self-contained if you’re the type of person who likes the assurance of knowing the thing they’re reading actually has an ending.

I read this story the other day after giving up with Cultivation Chat Group. Really brilliant! I loved the descriptions and atmosphere of the weird bog, I'm kind of sad they left it. I found myself relating to all of the characters in different ways, even Vosk. Really just thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing, it's super impressive.

I wasn't sure whether the sex scene with Calay and Gaz was supposed to be romantic, or just two friends de-stressing though. Not really sure how to read their relationship, but maybe that's the point. I'm really interested in Calay, Gaz and Torcha's relationship considering what happened to them. It's so interesting. I thought they would develop a super-strong sibling-like bond before the sex scene happened, maybe they still will? I dunno. To know everything someone else has gone through from their exact perspective must be a mind-blowing and incredibly humbling experience.

Riss was my favourite character though. I sometimes wonder if the order in which characters are introduced factors into how much one likes them, because I usually catch myself being predisposed against characters introduced later in stories for no good reason and it's weird.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

quote:

I reached out blindly and without fought
I'm not bothered by PracGuide's lack of editing, but occasionally I'm confused by how the the hell you manage to turn th into f
t...maybe? but t and then h?

Anyway, looks like the remainder of the book will be some interesting politicking

lurksion fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jul 12, 2019

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
TWI Patreon: Somehow Yellow Splatters is even more :kimchi: :kimchi: :kimchi: than Bird.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm happy that (unless something significantly changed in the last chapter or two of PracGuide)Catherine and Pilgrim are on good terms and working together now. This seems like the most progress she's made towards finally building bridges, and Grey Pilgrim is a good guy and interesting character.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
Practical Guide

gently caress Amadeus up his big-timing rear end. You don’t have to convince him of poo poo - twist his arm until he signs just like everyone else. Then go to Salia and kill the loving Scribe for messing with your plans, should have taken her out of the picture months ago.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

lurksion posted:

I'm not bothered by PracGuide's lack of editing, but occasionally I'm confused by how the the hell you manage to turn th into f
t...maybe? but t and then h?

Anyway, looks like the remainder of the book will be some interesting politicking

As far as I can tell, the author just runs a quick spell check without checking the context of the sentence/paragraph. This causes a ton of weird word substitutions.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Silynt posted:

Practical Guide

gently caress Amadeus up his big-timing rear end. You don’t have to convince him of poo poo - twist his arm until he signs just like everyone else. Then go to Salia and kill the loving Scribe for messing with your plans, should have taken her out of the picture months ago.

Akua (IIRC) accurately raised the point that Catherine doesn't really have a good excuse for not truly punishing Black (or Masego for that matter). Both have done things that would normally warrant at least decades of imprisonment.

It's also not really clear to me what Black needs to be convinced of here. Is his argument just that he doesn't see a reason to give a poo poo about whether the Dead King takes over Procer? Because otherwise I don't see what downside there is to joining an alliance and pushing for the Accords. I also get the impression Scribe will be a problem, since Black himself said that she basically decides on her own what Black "truly wants" (and she likely will act based on the idea Black is the same as he used to be, even if he changes his mind).

It was also interesting to see that Black is some sort of claimant. Previously I think the main theory was that he'd end up an un-named Dread Emperor under the Accords.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Ytlaya posted:

Akua (IIRC) accurately raised the point that Catherine doesn't really have a good excuse for not truly punishing Black (or Masego for that matter). Both have done things that would normally warrant at least decades of imprisonment.

It's also not really clear to me what Black needs to be convinced of here. Is his argument just that he doesn't see a reason to give a poo poo about whether the Dead King takes over Procer? Because otherwise I don't see what downside there is to joining an alliance and pushing for the Accords. I also get the impression Scribe will be a problem, since Black himself said that she basically decides on her own what Black "truly wants" (and she likely will act based on the idea Black is the same as he used to be, even if he changes his mind).

It was also interesting to see that Black is some sort of claimant. Previously I think the main theory was that he'd end up an un-named Dread Emperor under the Accords.

It's not about convincing him that the accords are a great idea. He knows that they are.

It's about convincing him that the accords as a vision, are a better vision than what he's spent 20 years working towards.

It's about convincing him to turn against Malicia, and claim the tower, because right now he doesn't want to, he's content in Malicia's vision, but he knows that Malicia's reign is failing, that her grand vision is crumbling and he doesn't know how to fix it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

tithin posted:

It's not about convincing him that the accords are a great idea. He knows that they are.

It's about convincing him that the accords as a vision, are a better vision than what he's spent 20 years working towards.

It's about convincing him to turn against Malicia, and claim the tower, because right now he doesn't want to, he's content in Malicia's vision, but he knows that Malicia's reign is failing, that her grand vision is crumbling and he doesn't know how to fix it.

I mean, he's obviously not exactly content in her vision, since they had a big falling out and he took half the army into Procer. He may not (yet) be willing to directly try to dethrone her, but he's also not exactly aligned with her right now. I guess it's possible that he might see her recent actions (like trying to take Akua's superweapon) as her "losing her way" and still considers the best outcome to be just returning things to how they used to be.

SITB
Nov 3, 2012
PracGuide: It's also in a way a request to see if she can sell the accords to Praes itself. If Cat can't convince Amadeus, who has every reason to agree with her, on the accords she won't be able to convince Praes without using force, which is pretty tenuous at winning hearts and minds like she needs to if she wants the accords to work.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
TWI Patreon: Erin back to being Erin :allears:

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Looks like Prac Guide's sequel will be Hogwarts High

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

lurksion posted:

Looks like Prac Guide's sequel will be Hogwarts High

It's good that Amadeus isn't actually being an rear end here, though I agree that it's hard to see how Praes will go along with this without a civil war. Honestly I'm confused about how even a minority of High Lords/Ladies are going to be willing to go along with the Accords.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Ytlaya posted:

It's good that Amadeus isn't actually being an rear end here, though I agree that it's hard to see how Praes will go along with this without a civil war. Honestly I'm confused about how even a minority of High Lords/Ladies are going to be willing to go along with the Accords.

having not a named in charge probably makes it a lot easier to plot against the tower

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

violent sex idiot posted:

having not a named in charge probably makes it a lot easier to plot against the tower

So what you're saying is, Cat set Vivi up as a monarch as step 1 in a convoluted 80-step plan to make it so they could date?

(I know it'll never happen, but they would be a really goofy couple.)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm getting the impression that a big reason heroes seemed really dumb until recently in PracGuide is just that almost every hero we saw up until then was a literal teenager or similar in age (with the exception of those heroes in the Free Cities*, and we didn't learn much about them aside from Hanno). Saint/Pilgrim/Sorcerer all ended up being pretty reasonable characters even if they ran into conflict with our protagonist.

* What ever happened with Captain btw? I remember she was inside the domain of Champion and knocked Champion against the edge of it or something, and next we hear she's dead. Hanno/Champion are some pretty big names that have been missing from recent events, and they should technically be Allies to Cat/etc when they next show up.

edit: Unrelated, but one of the biggest things PracGuide excels at, relative to most other web serials/novels, is creating very distinct/memorable and easy to imagine characters. I usually have a hard time picturing characters when reading fiction, but I have an easy time with most of the cast of PracGuide. PracGuide is much better than wildbow at this IMO, though wildbow is still fairly decent. Forge of Destiny also stands out in this regard.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jul 18, 2019

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Ytlaya posted:

I'm getting the impression that a big reason heroes seemed really dumb until recently in PracGuide is just that almost every hero we saw up until then was a literal teenager or similar in age (with the exception of those heroes in the Free Cities*, and we didn't learn much about them aside from Hanno). Saint/Pilgrim/Sorcerer all ended up being pretty reasonable characters even if they ran into conflict with our protagonist.

* What ever happened with Captain btw? I remember she was inside the domain of Champion and knocked Champion against the edge of it or something, and next we hear she's dead. Hanno/Champion are some pretty big names that have been missing from recent events, and they should technically be Allies to Cat/etc when they next show up.

edit: Unrelated, but one of the biggest things PracGuide excels at, relative to most other web serials/novels, is creating very distinct/memorable and easy to imagine characters. I usually have a hard time picturing characters when reading fiction, but I have an easy time with most of the cast of PracGuide. PracGuide is much better than wildbow at this IMO, though wildbow is still fairly decent. Forge of Destiny also stands out in this regard.

She got led into a narrative trap setup by Bard and Kairos.

The Calamities are on campaign, and Amadeus is using Captain for surgical strikes to wipe out the supply train for I think it was Kairos?

So to counter, Kairos and the Bard staff their supply trains with virgins, they trick her into killing them, and then trap Captain in the arena. The story writes itself, the monster trapped in the arena, facing a heroic champion out to avenge all the helpless virgins.

tithin fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jul 18, 2019

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
I absolutely HATED that they killed Captain off screen. Like, I’m fine with the idea of her dying in that scene, it was a critical moment in changing Black’s life and established Bard/Tyrant as credible threats. But at least loving SHOW it to me, dammit!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I was more wondering about the specific mechanics of how she died. Did Champion just beat her? Or did breaking the domain thing cause her to die somehow?

Uldor
Feb 23, 2009

Gear... Fourth!

Ytlaya posted:

I was more wondering about the specific mechanics of how she died. Did Champion just beat her? Or did breaking the domain thing cause her to die somehow?

I think Champion just straight killed her during the fight and VERY MUCH AGREE that her getting killed off screen was horse poo poo.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Well, in a trope-driven world like this, someone isn't truly dead unless you've seen them die or seen their body.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
I wanted to believe that when it happened, but that was a long time ago at this point. Also, didn’t the Champion have a pelt from the Beast? Or am I making that up?

Uldor
Feb 23, 2009

Gear... Fourth!

Silynt posted:

I wanted to believe that when it happened, but that was a long time ago at this point. Also, didn’t the Champion have a pelt from the Beast? Or am I making that up?

Nope, the pelt was definitely highlighted in the hero POV chapter right before they assault the Red Flower Vales

Specifically: https://practicalguidetoevil.wordpress.com/2018/06/20/interlude-red-the-flowers/

And the section:

Rafaella, on the other hand, slumped down in a cacophony of shuddering armour. The Valiant’s Champion snarling badger helm was dropped into the dirt as she shook free the long braid going halfway down her back, her tanned face split in a grin. She was not wearing, for once, the wolf fur cloak she’d claimed from someone that was no wolf at all.

Uldor fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jul 18, 2019

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Uldor posted:

I think Champion just straight killed her during the fight and VERY MUCH AGREE that her getting killed off screen was horse poo poo.

It's more that it's weird that (IIRC) the last scene we saw was Captain knocking the Champion against the top of the domain or something. Like I distinctly remember the last perception being that Captain was beating the Champion, though I could be forgetting something.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
I think that was right when Captain went into beast mode to secure victory but instead put her into story driven, inevitable death.

Anomalous Blowout
Feb 13, 2006

rock
ice
storm
abyss

It makes no attempt to sound human. It is atoms and stars.

Aaaa, thanks so much for the kind words, everybody! I’m not gonna quote every single person because that’d be obnoxious, but I really appreciate it and I’m glad people are enjoying it.

Chatrapati posted:

I read this story the other day after giving up with Cultivation Chat Group. Really brilliant! I loved the descriptions and atmosphere of the weird bog, I’m kind of sad they left it. I found myself relating to all of the characters in different ways, even Vosk. Really just thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing, it’s super impressive.

I wasn’t sure whether the sex scene with Calay and Gaz was supposed to be romantic, or just two friends de-stressing though. Not really sure how to read their relationship, but maybe that’s the point. I’m really interested in Calay, Gaz and Torcha’s relationship considering what happened to them. It’s so interesting. I thought they would develop a super-strong sibling-like bond before the sex scene happened, maybe they still will? I dunno. To know everything someone else has gone through from their exact perspective must be a mind-blowing and incredibly humbling experience.

Riss was my favourite character though. I sometimes wonder if the order in which characters are introduced factors into how much one likes them, because I usually catch myself being predisposed against characters introduced later in stories for no good reason and it’s weird.

Dude, first off: thanks!

Second: regarding that particular scene, the ambiguity and confusion was definitely intentional. Everyone was feeling pretty hosed up after making it out of the swamp, and if you were confused and unsure that’s exactly what I was going for, lol. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised with how the situation regarding the Fungal Mind Meld Trio ends up!

I do think there’s something to be said about anchoring yourself to the first POV character you meet in a book. I definitely feel that way a lot when reading ensemble cast books, but I also wonder if a lot of that isn’t the author’s intent–they’re introducing this particular character first for a reason, so clearly they think this person is the focal point of the story too.

In unrelated-to-my-serial news, does anyone have any recs for completed serials that would be fun for a teenage girl? She’s read most of the big popular serials and prefers magic/mysteries to superheroes but also prefers contemporary fantasy over second-world fantasy. It’s for my seventeen-year-old niece so I’d feel extremely weird sending her something with a bunch of sex in it. I figured I’d ask here because my reading tastes are very different to hers, heh.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

It's more that it's weird that (IIRC) the last scene we saw was Captain knocking the Champion against the top of the domain or something. Like I distinctly remember the last perception being that Captain was beating the Champion, though I could be forgetting something.

The Captain was beating her, but stupidly went into beast mode and lost due to narrative. I think the reason the author put it offscreen is that there is no reason she should lose. She's winning without even resorting to beast mode. It's basically the same as with Saint. She's getting crushed until Kairos gives her the narrative and then she's magically better and everything just works until Cat flips it. Setting up the narrative is interesting, but the fight isn't because the outcome is set and no amount of skill matters.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

In unrelated-to-my-serial news, does anyone have any recs for completed serials that would be fun for a teenage girl? She’s read most of the big popular serials and prefers magic/mysteries to superheroes but also prefers contemporary fantasy over second-world fantasy. It’s for my seventeen-year-old niece so I’d feel extremely weird sending her something with a bunch of sex in it. I figured I’d ask here because my reading tastes are very different to hers, heh.

It's not quite finished (the author estimates there are 3-5 chapters left to go and posts about 1 chapter/month), but Mother of Learning is really, really rad. The writing's a bit lacking on the technical level, but the plotting is great- the protagonist is a smart-but-lazy loner going to a magical school, and circumstances beyond his control trap him in a time loop. No explicit sex (although there are students in explicit poly/nonconventional relationships), lots of violence: people being brutally burned/exploded/lightning-ed to death in magical fights. Only real problem I could foresee for some teenage readers is that since the protagonist is in a time loop that resets when they die, as the story goes on they get pretty blase about using suicide/stupid plans that will most likely result in their messy death as strategies.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
lovely chapter of Black lecturing like Cat is still a child and her just going along with it, occasionally tossing in some petulant whining for good measure. I thought she had grown past that paternalistic bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Silynt posted:

lovely chapter of Black lecturing like Cat is still a child and her just going along with it, occasionally tossing in some petulant whining for good measure. I thought she had grown past that paternalistic bullshit.

If I had to guess I'd say that him continuing to play the patronizing mentor keeps Cat alive longer on a narrative level, because according to story tropes she'll have to watch him die at some point.