Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

No idea, but there was a neat retrospective on The Westing Game in The New Yorker recently. (Warning: this article spoils the book. If you haven't read The Westing Game and Ellen Raskin's other books, you really should.)

Selachian fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jun 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Here you go. WaPo's recommendation of which book to read at which age of life from 1-100. Let the fighting begin
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2019/entertainment/books/100-books-for-the-ages/?utm_term=.70da678480a4

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

Age 1 - Aesop's Fables
Age 2 - Euclid's Elements

You can take it in whatever direction from there.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Bunch of 50 year olds reading 50 Shades of Grey to spice things up heyooooo

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I posted this in the Mystery and Detective Fiction thread, but it doesn't seem to get much traffic, and nobody responded. Forgive me for cross-posting here, but just in case anyone else is a fan...

quote:

Would this be the appropriate thread to talk about James Ellroy? I just reread his previous novel Perfidia, set in December 1941, followed by its direct sequel that just came out, This Storm, set during the first several months of 1942. Both excellent, and they serve as prequels to his L.A. Quartet (The Black Dahlia, The Big Nowhere, L.A. Confidential, and White Jazz, all set in the late '40s and '50s) and his Underworld U.S.A. Trilogy (American Tabloid, The Cold Six Thousand, and Blood's a Rover, set between 1958 and 1973). I highly recommend all of them, as well as the movie adaptation of L.A. Confidential, in my top five movies of all time.

He writes these incredibly complex, twisting narratives about hard-boiled corrupt cops, underworld figures, and other antiheroes, full of brutal violence, casual racism, and plenty of lurid, sordid elements. He usually has multiple point-of-view characters in each novel, so you get different takes on his complicated plots -- usually with clipped, staccato narration. He's a hell of a storyteller, and I'd have to call him my favorite modern novelist.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I posted this in the Mystery and Detective Fiction thread, but it doesn't seem to get much traffic, and nobody responded. Forgive me for cross-posting here, but just in case anyone else is a fan...

sorry! I responded in the mystery thread

anyway

https://twitter.com/alloy_dr/status/1144248384863313922

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Bilirubin posted:

Here you go. WaPo's recommendation of which book to read at which age of life from 1-100. Let the fighting begin
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2019/entertainment/books/100-books-for-the-ages/?utm_term=.70da678480a4

Wow, this list is so pointless

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Any you guys ever read Aztec by Gary Jennings? I'm only about halfway through but this thing is wild.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Human Tornada posted:

Any you guys ever read Aztec by Gary Jennings? I'm only about halfway through but this thing is wild.

It used to be a more common goon rec years ago. It sounds awesome, but I personally never got around to it. Heard about it on TBB, though.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I haven't read Aztec but I did read Jennings's Spangle (about the adventures of a 19th-century circus) a long time ago. Fairly decent if you're looking for a historical novel with a cast of dozens and a cavalier attitude toward authenticity.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I just finished Century Rain by Alastair Reynolds. drat it was nice to read some sci-fi that wasn't a turgid bloated potboiler book 6 of a 9 book series. Century Rain is refreshing in its energy and its weirdness and how it doesn't hold your hand at all. Has anyone else read it?

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
modernist: but doctor... I'M Pagliacci
post-modernist: but doctor... YOU'RE Pagliacci
pre-modernist: okay. I'll go see Pagliacci

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I just ordered a book from betterworldbooks.com, and got the following mail:

quote:

Hello Michael,

(Your book(s) asked to write you a personal note - it seemed unusual, but who are we to say no?)

Holy canasta! It's me... it's me! I can't believe it is actually me! You could have picked any of over 2 million books but you picked me! I've got to get packed! How is the weather where you live? Will I need a dust jacket? I can't believe I'm leaving Mishawaka, Indiana already - the friendly people, the Hummer plant, the Linebacker Lounge - so many memories. I don't have much time to say goodbye to everyone, but it's time to see the world!

I can't wait to meet you! You sound like such a well read person. Although, I have to say, it sure has taken you a while! I don't mean to sound ungrateful, but how would you like to spend five months sandwiched between Jane Eyre (drama queen) and Fundamentals of Thermodynamics (pyromaniac)? At least Jane was an upgrade from that stupid book on brewing beer. How many times did the ol' brewmaster have one too many and topple off our shelf at 2am?

I know the trip to meet you will be long and fraught with peril, but after the close calls I've had, I'm ready for anything (besides, some of my best friends are suspense novels). Just five months ago, I thought I was a goner. My owner was moving and couldn't take me with her. I was sure I was landfill bait until I ended up in a Better World Books book drive bin. Thanks to your socially conscious book shopping, I've found a new home. Even better, your book buying dollars are helping kids read from Brazil to Botswana.

But hey, enough about me, I've been asked to brief you on a few things:

can't decide if this is quirky/ weird or funny. I'm also curious how much of it is random or auto-generated based on real data. Like "sandwiched for five months between book A and B" or the stuff it says about Indiana.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
:stare:

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

mike12345 posted:

can't decide if this is quirky/ weird or funny. I'm also curious how much of it is random or auto-generated based on real data. Like "sandwiched for five months between book A and B" or the stuff it says about Indiana.

It was exactly the same for me. Their warehouse is in Indiana.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

mike12345 posted:

I've bought a lot of books from betterworldbooks.com and I have never gotten an e-mail like that.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Anyone know if there are books in the wild west genre that are worth reading? Like cowboys vs indians, but not racist? The only writer I know in that genre is Karl May (lol), so I wonder if anyone ever tried writing in that period more realistically and respectfully.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Probably not entirely in line with your wishes but The Sisters Brothers is good and forever worthy of a mention when on the topic of the gold rush/wild west

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Elmore Leonard wrote a bunch of westerns before he got into contemporary crime.

I love his stuff, probably have 30+ paperbacks

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

mike12345 posted:

Anyone know if there are books in the wild west genre that are worth reading? Like cowboys vs indians, but not racist? The only writer I know in that genre is Karl May (lol), so I wonder if anyone ever tried writing in that period more realistically and respectfully.

I’ve never read Karl May so I’m not sure exactly what you mean in the second part of your post but yeah Westerns kick rear end and there are a lot of good ones:

Warlock by Oakley Hall
Anything by Louis L’amour if you’re looking for pulp
True Grit by Charles Portis
All of Cormac McCarthy’s westerns, particularly Blood Meridian

Also everybody swears Lonesome Dove is the best western novel ever written but somehow I’ve never actually read it

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

I’ve never read Karl May so I’m not sure exactly what you mean in the second part of your post but yeah Westerns kick rear end and there are a lot of good ones:

Warlock by Oakley Hall

Also everybody swears Lonesome Dove is the best western novel ever written but somehow I’ve never actually read it

Warlock is the poo poo

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Don't forget Shane

or Zane Grey's stuff

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Lonesome Dove is real good. I don't know enough to say best western, but it's an outstanding book.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Are there any famous ones from the perspective of a native american tribe, or maybe written by a native american?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

mike12345 posted:

Are there any famous ones from the perspective of a native american tribe, or maybe written by a native american?

quote:

Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee: An Indian History of the American West is a 1970 book by American writer Dee Brown that covers the history of Native Americans in the American West in the late nineteenth century. The book expresses details of the history of American expansionism from a point of view that is critical of its effects on the Native Americans. Brown describes Native Americans' displacement through forced relocations and years of warfare waged by the United States federal government. The government's dealings are portrayed as a continuing effort to destroy the culture, religion, and way of life of Native American peoples.[1] Helen Hunt Jackson's A Century of Dishonor is often considered a nineteenth-century precursor to Dee Brown's writing.[2]

Just kidding it's not fiction, good read though. Depressing as gently caress!

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Warlock by Oakley Hall

hope and vaseline posted:

Warlock is the poo poo
Warlock is really good, Hieronymous Alloy recommended it long ago and I loved it.

And another recommendation here for Lonesome Dove, a novel I go back to every now and again.

Little Big Man by Thomas Berger.

mike12345 posted:

It's non-fiction but if you've never read Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee by Dee Brown you should, everyone should.

Edit: Beaten^^^^

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Butcher's Crossing

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Blood Meridian is one of my favourite books ever but be forewarned it's excruciatingly violent (very much the point of the book in fact).

quote:

Funny enough I've been to McMurtry's bookstore in Archer City and seen him around town but very much the same. I should probably correct that.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

All the Pretty Horses is pretty mild in terms of excruciating violence for a McCarthy book

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Don't forget Shane

or Zane Grey's stuff

Zane Grey has been someone I’ve wanted to read for years because he’s often mentioned in the same breath as Louis l’Amour, who I totally love, but like Lonesome Dove I just somehow never have. I should remedy that soon, I’ve had Riders of the Purple Sage on my Kindle for years.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

mike12345 posted:

"non-fic" but I remember liking Black Elk Speaks which is basically John Neihardt's reportage of Black Elk's memoirs — about being a medicine man, the battles of Little Big Horn, etc. Idk how accurate it is though, being filtered through a white dude

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jul 14, 2019

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer

mike12345 posted:

Zeke and Ned by McMurtry might be something you'd enjoy.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
My favorite recent Western novel is Days Without End. Anyone else read that one?

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

My favorite recent Western novel is Days Without End. Anyone else read that one?

I hadn’t heard of it until now but after looking into it, it sounds really good, I think that’s going on my list. Thanks for the recommendation.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

In "LOL Goodreads recommendations" today it suggested that because I liked Binti, I should read a Mordecai Richler novel.

I mean, Richler is good but what?

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Enfys posted:

Butcher's Crossing

Another vote for this one. It was recommended to me by goons a few years ago and it is so good. I still think about it regularly :allears:

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire

Bilirubin posted:

In "LOL Goodreads recommendations" today it suggested that because I liked Binti, I should read a Mordecai Richler novel.

It's done some bum recommendations for me. For a while, no matter what I read, it would recommend me this little girls' series called Betsy-Tacy. Vonnegut, Ruiz Zafon, John Williams - always Betsy-Tacy.

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

Bilirubin posted:

I deleted Goodreads months ago, but it gave me a lot of crap recommendations. But the worst was when I read a single Iranian novel and got swamped with recommendations of highly-rated novels that hadn't been translated from Arabic or Farsi. Because they're probably great reads, but I wouldn't know because I can't read them.

Also, turns out Goodreads has a sizable userbase in the Middle East.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Bilirubin posted:

really dig the vacuous liberal ennui and unrelenting despair undergirding all of these book writeups lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

chernobyl kinsman posted:

really dig the vacuous liberal ennui and unrelenting despair undergirding all of these book writeups lol

i like how they think its normal and just a phase to think ayn rand is cool at the age of 24