Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I thought the lap dancing task was fun tbh. I’d like them to release the heart rate data though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

What do people know Rose Matafeo from? I recognise the name but can't place her. Just general standup? I see she's in a NZ show called 'Funny Girls' so I'm hoping that's to my taste. All women sketch troupes are often pretty good.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

So long as Baddiel doesn’t do anything awful like blackface again, I’m sure he’ll be fine.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

EL BROMANCE posted:

What do people know Rose Matafeo from? I recognise the name but can't place her. Just general standup? I see she's in a NZ show called 'Funny Girls' so I'm hoping that's to my taste. All women sketch troupes are often pretty good.

She’s been good on things I’ve seen her on.

Also used to gently caress Acaster.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

BizarroAzrael posted:

Taskmaster 9 lineup:

David Baddiel
Ed Gamble
Jo Brand
Katy Wix
Rose Matafeo

Not familiar with Katy Wix, but Rose Matafeo is fantastic.

She's in Ghosts and is good.

David Baddiel has been a bit of a dick on Twitter recently and it's sort of soured me on him but I've wanted Jo Brand to be on it for AGES.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Episode 9 is easily the best of this season of Taskmaster, and one of the best of the show as a whole. Although Lou and Sian should've gotten scores of 0 for the bounces task, while they were bouncing many times they were resetting the count by propelling the ball each time.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Episode 9 is easily the best of this season of Taskmaster, and one of the best of the show as a whole. Although Lou and Sian should've gotten scores of 0 for the bounces task, while they were bouncing many times they were resetting the count by propelling the ball each time.

I didn't know Iain Sterling was a goon

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Okay so this series of Taskmaster has been pretty hit and miss but the final episode, my god.

Laughed so hard at the blindfold disability scooter task that it hurt.

Series 9 lineup is decent, Jo Brand will be hilarious, Ed Gamble is really funny and Katy Wix should be great as she's dizzy as gently caress (her character in Not Going Out was essentially an extension of her real life personality.)

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Taear posted:

I didn't know Iain Sterling was a goon
Nah that was a completely bullshit decision, the task specified that you couldn't interfere with the ball's trajectory after the first bounce but they let the person who wiggled it up and down in a net win.

The Sinnerman really grew on me this series, I liked how he became increasingly self aware of how poo poo he was. Also "tell me about Henry VIII" was great.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Watched the new Louis Theroux documentary, the third in a sequence about the Westboro Baptist Church, and I was not expecting it to flip the tables on me so I'd start feeling real sympathy for Shirley Phelps.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I saw Nate speak once.

Hoooboy did I get out of that with wet eyes.

Edit: wait we filmed it: https://youtu.be/v9yiRbOkx28

thehustler fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jul 15, 2019

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Gorn Myson posted:

Watched the new Louis Theroux documentary, the third in a sequence about the Westboro Baptist Church, and I was not expecting it to flip the tables on me so I'd start feeling real sympathy for Shirley Phelps.

The saddest part was that one of the Phelps' granddaughters escaped the cult only to convert to Marvel Cinematic Universe. Just kidding, but it's actually interesting that she picked superhero movies as a way to cope with the sudden collapse of her old identity. Maybe those movies are good for something, after all. The same goes for Twitter, because against all odds people there managed to convince her sister to leave the church.

Another interesting thing is that at least two new WBC members said they watched Louis' previous documentaries about them, and that's how they decided to join. Maybe at this point giving them any attention is the only thing that keeps them afloat. Their numbers are very stable, but the stream of people leaving the church is as constant, so without new recruits WBS wouldn't survive another generation. And you just know there's going to be at least one more Yorkshire incel who'll join WBS after watching this documentary. Leaves me with mixed feelings that.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jul 16, 2019

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Your post is basically every thought I had on that episode but expressed far more eloquently than I ever could.

But I remember when the Westboro Baptist Church was an actual thing over a decade ago because their protests were garnering mainstream attention, and those protests were in turn being protested, and I remember how Shirley Phelps was one of their main media figureheads and I remember just how much I despised her for the things she was saying. So it feels really strange to me now to look back at them and knowing full well the hate they peddled and realise that if Louis were to go back and talk to them again, the one thing I would like to see most is to see Shirley re-united with her children, but outside of the cult. I'm quite an emotional person anyway, but that interview with her just killed me.

Also, thehustler, cheers for the link, I'll watch that when I have time.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Okay, this is a "what was the name of this show?/was o having a fever dream?" Post.

I've got vague recollections of a children's gameshow from about 25-30 years ago on ITV.

Kind of bizarre challenges. One was getting a large boulder through a maze without rocking our changing its height at any point. The main this I remember is that they displayed the teams scores by projecting a laser beam through smoke.

The set decoration felt kind of post apocalyptic, very dark and weird costumes on the host characters.

Any ideas?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
When you think about it we had quite a few crazy game shows like that.

What was the one they double downed on CG projection and one of their tasks was flailing around in a bowl of cereal? this was a BBC one.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Incredible Games! With the dark Knight that dropped you into what looked like a pile of dirty laundry.

https://youtu.be/Ku_xUzHAq98

I'm fairly certain I asked the same thing in this thread like 5 years ago. Every part of that realisation gives me the heebie jeebies

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
We had some good tv back in the day.

I got the preschoolers I work with watching Spider! and half of them were bored and the other half were just losing their poo poo. Absolutely loving it. We had a deep discussion afterwards about how unkind the little boy was. I didn't get as far as the episodes when the spider and the child are pals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD_WvcLi95I

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

I went through the UK gameshows website until I found it. Apparently it was called "Starstrider"

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

She did some of the outside report segments on the Mash Report, that’s where I know her from. She was good!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I’ve been watching her NZ show ‘Funny Girls’ and it’s been good so far. Looking forward to her in TM.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Incredible Games! With the dark Knight that dropped you into what looked like a pile of dirty laundry.

https://youtu.be/Ku_xUzHAq98

I'm fairly certain I asked the same thing in this thread like 5 years ago. Every part of that realisation gives me the heebie jeebies

Nothing will ever top Knightmare, though.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Dell_Zincht posted:

Nothing will ever top Knightmare, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wgg4rUVm7M

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

EL BROMANCE posted:

She won the main prize at the Fringe last year.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Can’t wait to see what tasks they come up with for the newly announced Black Widow movie.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Did the heat kill most of the pop of this old thread off?

Just finished Year Of The Rabbit. It certainly is worth seeing once now. But gently caress me the adverts for 4 On Demand are still the most annoying and on the nose thing I have seen this year.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

SeanBeansShako posted:

Just finished Year Of The Rabbit. It certainly is worth seeing once now. But gently caress me the adverts for 4 On Demand are still the most annoying and on the nose thing I have seen this year.

I guess there's not a lot of stuff on that is unique to the UK and requires the thread right now.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Is Taskmaster on? That's all the thread watches.

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.
Are people in this thread aware of the The The One Show Show podcast?

Jon Holmes and guests hate-watching The One Show. Reminded me of this thread. Is that damning with faint praise?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

SeanBeansShako posted:

Love Island finished

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I enjoy it. I think I would enjoy it even more without the snippets of the show. Even those fragments are too much, to suffer and I think it works better as an absurdist piece if the audience have absolutely no exposure to the programme being discussed at all.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

SeanBeansShako posted:

I finally had a chance to watch Killing Eve, and the first series got me hooked. The Russian prison was laughably un-Russian, but at least they had some people who can actually speak the language, which is more than what can be said of many other shows. The strength of the show is obviously in writing, and Phoebe Waller-Bridge is consistently fantastic at that. Will have to watch series two before the third one starts.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I finished watching Killing Eve yesterday, also went through Crashing, another PWB comedy, pretty good but was probably for the best that it got cancelled so soon (as the characters were designed to be obnoxious, like Community at its worst).

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

What was the concept for that one again?

Anything interesting on iPlayer at all at the moment?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

What was the concept for that one again?

Anything interesting on iPlayer at all at the moment?

MI5 agent tracking down mysterious russian assassin, lots of lesbian subtext and good jumpers.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

I've been watching What We Do in the Shadows and Season 2 of Atlanta on iplayer.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Oh man thanks for reminding me, for some reason I thought the Shadows TV series was on Amazon not iPlayer!

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Paladinus posted:

I finally had a chance to watch Killing Eve, and the first series got me hooked. The Russian prison was laughably un-Russian, but at least they had some people who can actually speak the language, which is more than what can be said of many other shows. The strength of the show is obviously in writing, and Phoebe Waller-Bridge is consistently fantastic at that. Will have to watch series two before the third one starts.

Just a warning, PWB had no involvement in the writing of series 2, and it shows.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

MI5 agent tracking down mysterious russian assassin, lots of lesbian subtext and good jumpers.

I wouldn’t really call it a “subtext”.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

What we do in the shadows is absolutely perfect. It's a much better Berry vehicle than year of the rabbit.

Also Poldark is back and still weirdly compelling even though I'm not a post-menopausal lady.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Dell_Zincht posted:

Just a warning, PWB had no involvement in the writing of series 2, and it shows.

Well, that's unfortunate. But I'll give it a fair shake.

Comrade Fakename posted:

I wouldn’t really call it a “subtext”.

It's only one step further in that direction than Batman and Joker, to be honest.

Captain Mediocre posted:

What we do in the shadows is absolutely perfect. It's a much better Berry vehicle than year of the rabbit.

I enjoyed it much more than Year of the Rabbit. WWDitS has focus in its style and execution, and even when it goes over the same ground relying on main characters not being accustomed to modernity, it remains entertaining and finds new ways to juxtapose those conflict worldviews. With YotR, they tried to do a send-off to 70s crime TV shows, but for some reason decided to set it over 50 years earlier, so you end up with this weird mashup of tropes of varying degrees of cartoonishness that don't quite fit together. There are still individual funny jokes and good performances, but the show as a whole doesn't work.