Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
I want something relatively inexpensive which isn't KTM. And I want something mostly for off road use, not road trips, which is why I want a 250 instead of the bigger 650s. I'm not against the WR but they do tend to be a fair bit more expensive. Also open to the Honda 250 but would prefer Kawa since literally every bike I've owned has been Kawasaki and I guess I just like sticking with what I know I like.

Ideally I'd get the 450s but they're literally double the price and not worth it for me. I don't need to tear up the roads, I just want to get along on them without fighting the bike and exhausting myself and get to some pretty views.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

hayden. posted:

I think the farthest I'll ever go is 2 hours one way. And it'll be an all day thing to get there, go off road, and ride back. So lots of stops and resting.

That KLX was unfortunately sold pretty quick so I'll be waiting for another good option. There's one now but they're asking $7k which is lol. I'll also be renting a 2006 next weekend to make sure I want to commit to buying one.

The 2018+ is FI, but if you don't care about that the carbed 2009 to 2017 is the same and are $3k and under on the used market.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

hayden. posted:

I want something relatively inexpensive which isn't KTM. And I want something mostly for off road use, not road trips, which is why I want a 250 instead of the bigger 650s. I'm not against the WR but they do tend to be a fair bit more expensive. Also open to the Honda 250 but would prefer Kawa since literally every bike I've owned has been Kawasaki and I guess I just like sticking with what I know I like.

Ideally I'd get the 450s but they're literally double the price and not worth it for me. I don't need to tear up the roads, I just want to get along on them without fighting the bike and exhausting myself and get to some pretty views.

Honestly if you're okay with a bit more work you could get a WR450F cheap. It's going to weigh less than a WR250R/CRF250L/KLX250 because it wasn't built as a street bike originally. You just have somewhat more frequent oil changes and the occasional valve check to deal with but they are dead-nuts reliable and will give you more power.

https://denver.craigslist.org/mcd/d/aurora-2013-yamaha-wr450f-street-legal/6931025658.html
https://denver.craigslist.org/mcd/d/denver-2012-yamaha-wr450f-wr450-wr-450/6925944598.html

Older, non-EFI bike:
https://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/d/denver-2008-wr450f-yamaha-dual-sport/6889135668.html

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Get an FE350! Like I should've!

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

hayden. posted:

purely fwiw, ktm currently just dominates the “plated dirt bike” segment. This may not be true in mx, but if you want a newish plated bike that’s really a big dirt bike you’ll probably end up with a ktm. For example... a 2016 crf250l weighs 317 lbs and has 23hp. FE250 is 236 dry so figure another 15lbs for 2gallons if gas and oil=251lbs. It has (maybe? I’m lazy and didn’t google much) 25hp. Not a huge HP difference but ohhhhh man that weight difference is huge in the dirt.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
The FE and KTMs are undeniably better bikes, but again they're about twice the price and for something that's probably going to get dropped and hosed up I don't want to blow a ton of money on it.

The WR450F is a good option. It makes a lot more power and weighs about 40+ pounds less. I'm plenty capable of doing valves and oil even if it's not my favorite thing in the world. I guess I just had the impression that they weren't as reliable as a low strung motor with more normal maintenance intervals. I'll look into that more. Thanks!

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/mcy/d/portland-2011-sachs-madass125-great/6930104350.html

i am an idiot and i want this
(also a big bore kit for the engine if i get it)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ElMaligno posted:

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/mcy/d/portland-2011-sachs-madass125-great/6930104350.html

i am an idiot and i want this
(also a big bore kit for the engine if i get it)

You’re not an idiot for wanting a Madass they own

Me? Now I’m an idiot for wanting a CX500, specifically this one, I’m not sure why, but I like it

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jesus christ seek help.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

You’re not an idiot for wanting a Madass they own

Me? Now I’m an idiot for wanting a CX500, specifically this one, I’m not sure why, but I like it

It's repressed Guzzisexuality finding it's way to the surface.

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

I'm not looking to switch bikes anytime soon (new baby means my riding is severely diminished for a bit), but please help me populate my new bike fantasy. I've been riding an 04 SV650 since 2010 and love it. I've never ridden anything faster or nicer, so I don't really know what I'm missing. I have cartridge emulators up front and an r6 throttle tube but otherwise the bike is basically stock. I don't use all of the power except for the rare times I do trackdays, but having the same amount of horsepower is boring so I'm okay looking at bikes with more displacement.

So while more power is nice I'm more interested in bikes with a competent suspension. I've heard/read that the suspension on the SV is one of the weak points, but my experience is limited to SVs and pregen ex250s so I have no clue what I'm missing.

I like the riding position of the SV and think the naked look is very handsome, so I've been eyeing things like the Z900RS, and I know yamaha has a plethora of triples in the same weight range, although I hear similar complaints about the suspension for those, too.

What should I be pining for?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Ur a dad and want a nice suspension and more power sooo versys 1000?

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

A MIRACLE posted:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

bsamu posted:

I'm not looking to switch bikes anytime soon (new baby means my riding is severely diminished for a bit), but please help me populate my new bike fantasy. I've been riding an 04 SV650 since 2010 and love it. I've never ridden anything faster or nicer, so I don't really know what I'm missing. I have cartridge emulators up front and an r6 throttle tube but otherwise the bike is basically stock. I don't use all of the power except for the rare times I do trackdays, but having the same amount of horsepower is boring so I'm okay looking at bikes with more displacement.

So while more power is nice I'm more interested in bikes with a competent suspension. I've heard/read that the suspension on the SV is one of the weak points, but my experience is limited to SVs and pregen ex250s so I have no clue what I'm missing.

I like the riding position of the SV and think the naked look is very handsome, so I've been eyeing things like the Z900RS, and I know yamaha has a plethora of triples in the same weight range, although I hear similar complaints about the suspension for those, too.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Z900 was designed for people exactly like you. Book a demo ride and go wild.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

A MIRACLE posted:

"You're bored? Get a Versys"

What kinda poo poo y'all tryna pull?

Get a super naked, MT-10, S1000R, SD1290R, ZX10, GSX1000 etc.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

bsamu posted:

MT-09 SP (has better suspension than the normal one), one of the nicer street triples (one of the few 'low power' bikes you can get completely blinged out), hypermotard.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Street triples are so tiny tho. He’s a dad now

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Buy my FZ-10 and show your kid how cool you are

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

I'm still small although lack of sleep and more stress might change that (5'10" 140lb).

Initially i looked at the versys 1000 and thought BORING but then i saw all of the electronics packages and integrated luggage and was intrigued. Very dad.

The supernakeds all look cool, for a while I would drool over a tuono but maybe they're old hat now? Spiffness that FZ-10 is tempting and if we weren't about to start paying for daycare I'd be considering it.

It's fun to imagine that first ride where I have 2x the hp that I'm used to. I still remember riding the SV home after 2 years on the ninja, every stop light was the best.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I just talked to a guy with a tracer 900, he was reviewing it for a bike mag. Said the engine felt like a street triple with more power, but not "lazy" like the speed triple. Said the suspension was meh though. Could be better. Sounds like they fixed it on the mt09, but I guess those changes didn't port over to the tracer. Said the seat wasn't very comfortable either. It looked very dad.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

When I had a kid I sold my drz SM and bought a faster supermoto. So that’s my advice.

But please be aware you’ll never ride again

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

ought ten posted:

When I had a kid I sold my drz SM and bought a faster supermoto. So that’s my advice.

But please be aware you’ll never ride again

What? I've ridden almost 100 miles since May! ... :(

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Finger Prince posted:

I just talked to a guy with a tracer 900, he was reviewing it for a bike mag. Said the engine felt like a street triple with more power, but not "lazy" like the speed triple. Said the suspension was meh though. Could be better. Sounds like they fixed it on the mt09, but I guess those changes didn't port over to the tracer. Said the seat wasn't very comfortable either. It looked very dad.

My dad has one and loves it. Engine is much sportier than that in the Tiger 800 he had before, though I haven't ridden a striple so I can't compare to that engine. The CP9 engine is one of those engines that wants you to thrash it. Anyway, my dad thought it important that the engine is less boring, although he also feels it's important he doesn't need to rev it past 5000 (Slavvy's observation on dad bike engines is spot on) in daily use. It's also not that expensive, and reliable. So I guess it's a sensible dad bit that's also got an edge if you're willing to give it the beans.

The Tracer 900GT has better suspension.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

bsamu posted:

What? I've ridden almost 100 miles since May! ... :(

I basically only commute these days. The dadlife struggle is real.

But! Eventually they get older and go off and do their own things and you ride more.

I remember it happening with my dad

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

bsamu posted:

Hi, I used to ride a second gen sv650, and now I ride a z900RS. I got it a little over a month ago and have done a couple of short trips on it, and have been commuting on it every day, about 1400 miles so far, so I can tell you what I like:

Its the most confidence inspiring bike I've ever had, the suspension offers a bunch of adjustability but honestly for my extremely amateur riding style it seems fine out of the box: it doesn't dive when I hit the brakes, feels stable in a turn. I don't know if its the better suspension, or the rake angle, or the tire size, or riding position or the combination of all of those (probably that) but it just feels super good to navigate around town, on twisty roads, whatever.

Anti-lock brakes come standard and have already come in handy on the rear tire, slipper clutch is standard and works well, gauges look good, overall build quality feels good (one of the huge turnoffs when I looked at the vaguely-retroish yamahas were the plastic "tanks" and single, cheaper looking gauge)

Its the first bike I've ever had with an inline 4, so I can't really compare it to other inline 4s, but it seems very smooth, very linear powerband, sounds amazing at higher RPMs but not as interesting at lower RPMs, which is something I miss about V-twins. Other people have complained that the throttle is "choppy" at lower RPMs but honestly I haven't noticed, I just smooth it out with more clutch I guess. Its also, even with it's """de-tuned""" 100 horsepower, insanely fast.

Things I don't like: The seat is really bad... honestly you can just tell from the pictures... where is my butt supposed to go? Its like I'm sitting on a triangle, like it wants to slide me forward toward the tank. Someone recommended a local upholsterer and I need to give them a call, its the worst part of the bike but should hopefully be an easy fix.

The bike is also pretty wide, I have mixed feelings about this, I have a tendency to "hipster leg" bikes when I ride and the z900rs has forced me to keep my legs on the tank, because its just a wide tank. I do wish I felt a little more "locked in", with maybe some groves for your legs or something, but I feel stable under hard braking conditions so a lot of that is just in my head.

Overall I'm happy with the bike. It'll probably be the last bike I ever buy new, but for me looking for something "vaugely retroish but a lot more performance oriented than the moto guzzi v7 I had before" it seems to fit the bill really well. I had also considered the new bonneville but obviously that's way on the other side of the retro <-> modern continuum, but I hear they're really nice.

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I also owe BunnyX :10Bux:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I basically only commute these days. The dadlife struggle is real.

But! Eventually they get older and go off and do their own things and you ride more.

I have ridden for pleasure a total of 3 times in 4 years. Commuting is the only way I get my fix.

Only another 10+ years of this ....

In short, make sure you get something you can commute on if at all possible. You are unlikely to ride much if not.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

My daughter (20mo) is barely older than my motorcycle license, and I by no means am the perfect father, or the most excellent rider.

But I have found “working from home” is a great way to cram an hour or two loop into my day. Sure, the roads that far out are still pretty much city roads, and It’s not as good doing it in the lunch hours as it is at 10pm, but it’s a nice break. Each week I find myself taking some turns faster than the week prior.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.

Redvenom posted:

I have ridden for pleasure a total of 3 times in 4 years. Commuting is the only way I get my fix.

In short, make sure you get something you can commute on if at all possible. You are unlikely to ride much if not.

This is also me. I bought an FZ6 and can’t think of any reason to buy something different until all my kids are grown.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

I work from home and wouldn't trade that for anything. Except sometimes I think about how good a commute would be so I could ride more often. Motorcycles are a sickness.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

ought ten posted:

I work from home and wouldn't trade that for anything. Except sometimes I think about how good a commute would be so I could ride more often. Motorcycles are a sickness.

My solution to this is to work from home on motorcycles.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Redvenom posted:

Yeah I put 11,000 miles on my XSR700 the last year, and about 10,900 of that is from commuting to work everyday. It takes a bit for me to get to open clear roads here in California so I rarely have enough time on weekends to get recreational rides in.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/mcy/d/portland-honda-elite-ch250/6941654424.html
https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/mcy/d/vancouver-scooter-150-kymco/6941708815.html

look at this reliable and not basket case scooters im tempted to buy

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
They really made a twistngo called the Bet and Win?!

its a tough choice because the kymco has the specs and lower price but the elite's got style.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Coydog posted:

They really made a twistngo called the Bet and Win?!

The Bet and Lose model was featured in the No Prisoners videos.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

bsamu posted:

I'm still small although lack of sleep and more stress might change that (5'10" 140lb).

We're basically exactly the same size (I'm just under a stone heavier) and I'm also a dad.

With that in mind, get a Tuono Factory.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
poo poo I haven’t posted here in a while. Anyway got a rocket of an RD400 from a buddy and want to know from anybody if swapping it into a RD350 frame can be done. If anybody has experience with this let me know. Google is kinda poo poo for searching for an answer and it’s a lame question I know, but poo poo man my 350 motor is worn out and this 400 is freshly rebuilt with TZ reeds/crank bearing, 32mm kehins, port polish, and tuned expansion chambers. Sounds like a real screamer. Can post pics if need be.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Obv you should post pics of the screamer bike and engine. Does the engine look similar? Motorcycle engines are pretty easy to just unbolt and pull out, and your first step is just to do that and see if the lego works.

Do they have the same bottom end? could you just move the hot parts over?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Endbuster posted:

poo poo I haven’t posted here in a while. Anyway got a rocket of an RD400 from a buddy and want to know from anybody if swapping it into a RD350 frame can be done. If anybody has experience with this let me know. Google is kinda poo poo for searching for an answer and it’s a lame question I know, but poo poo man my 350 motor is worn out and this 400 is freshly rebuilt with TZ reeds/crank bearing, 32mm kehins, port polish, and tuned expansion chambers. Sounds like a real screamer. Can post pics if need be.

I had a guy ask me to look into this for the exact same reasons about two years ago. Long story short: just rebuild your 350 engine, it's cheaper and easier because the bottom ends don't match IIRC. Unless you're talking LC's in which case, no idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s easier to put the 400 pistons, cylinders and heads on the 350 bottom end, which is a thing I think works if I recall from my RD days.

You’ll want to research that though