Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
https://twitter.com/khara_inc2/status/1153557766457327616?s=19
https://twitter.com/khara_inc2/status/1153564819187892224?s=19
https://twitter.com/khara_inc2/status/1153566393582804993?s=19
https://twitter.com/khara_inc2/status/1153571817283416064?s=19

The mech design for Eva 3.0+1.0 seems to be "we took half of an eva and duct taped some bullshit to it" and I for one love it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Well Manicured Man posted:

The mech design for Eva 3.0+1.0 seems to be "we took half of an eva and duct taped some bullshit to it" and I for one love it

Oh man, so much the same.

The, "We used some Eva legs, and uh...put guns on them? I dunno, poo poo's busted, and we're running out of parts," is a fantastic bit of WTF.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

It reminds me of Sid's toys from Toy Story.

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

The designs of the 44 series make it seem like the angels are actively mocking shinji trying to solve things alone in 3.

The drones are wearing his plugsuit and they're all running around with lances.
44Bs are jet alones dancing together while carrying a mystery box and reminding us we don't get those episodes in the movies.
Then you got the big team that looks like the evas reaching up together at Sahaquiel.
https://twitter.com/ikuto_yamashita/status/1153649117270179840/photo/1
Seems like working together cooperatively is more effective and lets you fire a cool cannon w an eyeball for a sight.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
those are cool robots

as much as i love the question of "why do we make giant killing machines in our own image", sometimes robots just gotta look weird

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

like whatever those arm pylons used to be attached to got melted ages ago so lets make a crown out of them

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Whatever scientist NERV is keeping in their basement designing these things is just dropping huge amounts of acid

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Charlatan Eschaton posted:

The designs of the 44 series make it seem like the angels are actively mocking shinji trying to solve things alone in 3.

The drones are wearing his plugsuit and they're all running around with lances.
44Bs are jet alones dancing together while carrying a mystery box and reminding us we don't get those episodes in the movies.
Then you got the big team that looks like the evas reaching up together at Sahaquiel.
https://twitter.com/ikuto_yamashita/status/1153649117270179840/photo/1
Seems like working together cooperatively is more effective and lets you fire a cool cannon w an eyeball for a sight.

Holy poo poo good catch on the plug suit thing

noether
May 1, 2017

some kinda cutesy shoggoth

Well Manicured Man posted:

that stuff is gonna be really interesting to see in motion, but I'm honestly having a hard time telling what I'm looking at for a couple of those.

I like how it seems like they ran out of whole eva bodies and they're just haphazardly cobbling poo poo together from spare parts like with eva 5 back in 2.22

also 44a looks like that fuckin taxidermy cat quadcopter but with sachiel

noether fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 24, 2019

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Charlatan Eschaton posted:

i think it's more of a partial-instrumentality thing

since it was aborted partway twice now you have all these weird unfinished amalgams

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Tae posted:

You're so easily baited by his gimmick, it's sad

What's interesting is that there's always a kernel of truth and good analysis even if the rest is against the text itself. For example, the whole idea of the machines not being the people they're made of is the kind of cynicism that you can imagine was part of SEELE's original plan. Manipulating children like Asuka to machines that are made of their mothers but still under SEELE's control seems right up their alley.

But this is what makes Yui an even cooler giant angry mom, because she actively rebels against Gendo's orders multiple times and successfully takes over SEELE's plot. She gave up her physical form, her literal body and the most superficial symbol of her womanhood, to transcend to actual godhood and school a bunch of cynical men on how to mastermind properly. She even rejects known sexist and lovely dad Gendo wanting to rejoin her in the afterlife and kills him. Yui is pretty much the single person with the most agency in the entire conspiracy.

There's also the whole "Gendo uses his wife's surname" thing too which goes to show how high in the totem pole she really is.

Basically I appreciate that the posts make me think of new ways in which I love the show, even if that's only because of what they get wrong.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

GimmickMan posted:

What's interesting is that there's always a kernel of truth and good analysis even if the rest is against the text itself. For example, the whole idea of the machines not being the people they're made of is the kind of cynicism that you can imagine was part of SEELE's original plan. Manipulating children like Asuka to machines that are made of their mothers but still under SEELE's control seems right up their alley.

But this is what makes Yui an even cooler giant angry mom, because she actively rebels against Gendo's orders multiple times and successfully takes over SEELE's plot. She gave up her physical form, her literal body and the most superficial symbol of her womanhood, to transcend to actual godhood and school a bunch of cynical men on how to mastermind properly. She even rejects known sexist and lovely dad Gendo wanting to rejoin her in the afterlife and kills him. Yui is pretty much the single person with the most agency in the entire conspiracy.

There's also the whole "Gendo uses his wife's surname" thing too which goes to show how high in the totem pole she really is.

Basically I appreciate that the posts make me think of new ways in which I love the show, even if that's only because of what they get wrong.

being king of the shitters isn't something she should be proud of but she undoubtedly is anyway

like she is the root of that cynicism, all of this horseshit comes from her

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Yinlock posted:

being king of the shitters isn't something she should be proud of but she undoubtedly is anyway

like she is the root of that cynicism, all of this horseshit comes from her

Right? Like, the idea that an eternal proof of man's existence is even necessary belies a fundamental cynicism that humanity is incapable of moving beyond its conflicts and thriving.

She sees that the world is in bad shape and she is a brilliant scientific mind and her response, rather than to try to engineer solutions to the world's problems and bring about peace and prosperity, is to transform herself into a golden calf with a RIP HUMANS 6000BC-2014AD plaque on it.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
one thing i will always appreciate about evangelion

misato: Shinji kun
Rei: Ikari kun
Asuka: Baka Shinji
Gendo: ...

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Wark Say posted:

The only "bad Eva clone" type show that I feel can kinda still stand some of the test of time is RahXephon, which I'm probably rewatching after I'm done rewatching this, because it's also been a while (probably not as long as EVA, though!)

Rah isn't bad at all, excuse you. :colbert: It's still prolly the best of the obvious Eva rips out there, one of my fave anime period.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

it's interesting that they're all based on unit 04. Seems like they even had a little more accurate coloring at some of the showings

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i just remembered all the cg animation on the teaser and im getting bummed out

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i've actually been pretty impressed with some of the cg in stuff running this season, i'm willing to see if they can back it up with direction that plays on the strength of cg

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat

jit bull transpile posted:

Right? Like, the idea that an eternal proof of man's existence is even necessary belies a fundamental cynicism that humanity is incapable of moving beyond its conflicts and thriving.

She sees that the world is in bad shape and she is a brilliant scientific mind and her response, rather than to try to engineer solutions to the world's problems and bring about peace and prosperity, is to transform herself into a golden calf with a RIP HUMANS 6000BC-2014AD plaque on it.

a scientific mind whose only degree is in giant robot building. Not much you can fix with that.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Heavy Sigh posted:

a scientific mind whose only degree is in giant robot building. Not much you can fix with that.

evangelions aren't really robots so I think there's quite a few things you can fix if you're good enough to grow a giant monster out of a basement alien

yeah Gendo's plan may have been dumb as hell in retrospect but it was something

also that she considers herself a shining final monument of humanity(that she has decided beforehand is doomed to extinction) is some a+ arrogance

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 24, 2019

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Yinlock posted:

evangelions aren't really robots so I think there's quite a few things you can fix if you're good enough to grow a giant monster out of a basement alien

Seriously once unit 01 ingests the s2 engine earth is functionally a post scarcity society because they now have free unlimited energy. Just figure out what 01 considers fair compensation for turning a big crank labeled ELECTRICITY for 18 hours a day and a whole bunch of problems are solved overnight.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Humanity isn't extinct at the end of EoE and Yui is the reason they aren't.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Also they functionally only kill the angels because the dead sea scrolls say they have to to instrumentality. Who's to say they couldn't have formed a peaceful and fruitful alliance with the angels if they made any attempt to talk to them first?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

This is only pedantically true though. In reality there's only two humans on a really hosed up planet that we see. The point is they did not have to gently caress up the earth as bad as they did to solve the world's problems. That was just pure arrogance on the part of everybody thinking their particular flavor of instrumentality was the only answer.

noether
May 1, 2017

some kinda cutesy shoggoth

Also they functionally only kill the angels because the dead sea scrolls say they have to to instrumentality. Who's to say they couldn't have formed a peaceful and fruitful alliance with the angels if they made any attempt to talk to them first?

they probably could've, at least with some of the less hostile, more talkative ones like leliel and kaworu

I think most of the rest were either immediately violent or actively tried to traumatize the pilots as soon as they made contact, though

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

This is only pedantically true though. In reality there's only two humans on a really hosed up planet that we see. The point is they did not have to gently caress up the earth as bad as they did to solve the world's problems. That was just pure arrogance on the part of everybody thinking their particular flavor of instrumentality was the only answer.

Everyone with the will to live will be able to return. That's most of the human race, millenial jokes about wanting to die aside.

Also, the Dead Sea Scrolls aren't instructions. They're a prophecy.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

she's not

Rei & Shinji are basically the ones who managed to pull humanity back from the brink, Yui just hosed off to the moon to make a big shrine to herself

e: she's probably going to be real mad that humanity will go on without her though which is kind of funny

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Everyone with the will to live will be able to return. That's most of the human race, millenial jokes about wanting to die aside.

Also, the Dead Sea Scrolls aren't instructions. They're a prophecy.

You're side stepping my point though. Which is that this is still a majorly disruptive and destructive solution to problems that are much more easily solved with the tech they developed to get there. She did not do instrumentality to save humanity. She did it as a monument to her own hubris.

This show is riddled with themes of people doing things that they convince themselves are righteous but in reality are quite destructive if the could see past their own egos.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

noether posted:

they probably could've, at least with some of the less hostile, more talkative ones like leliel and kaworu

I think most of the rest were either immediately violent or actively tried to traumatize the pilots as soon as they made contact, though

See I read most of these as attempting to communicate but not quite having a handle on human physiology and hurting them instead. Like the one that really messes up Asuka stays in space to keep a safe distance and try to talk before the humans can kill it. It just really hosed up its attempt to talk.

I can't recollect if we see a single angel actually attack until the humans attack first. Maybe the one on the ocean?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Seriously once unit 01 ingests the s2 engine earth is functionally a post scarcity society because they now have free unlimited energy. Just figure out what 01 considers fair compensation for turning a big crank labeled ELECTRICITY for 18 hours a day and a whole bunch of problems are solved overnight.

hell just studying the s2 engine itself would do a hell of a lot more than turning the planet into tang

You're side stepping my point though. Which is that this is still a majorly disruptive and destructive solution to problems that are much more easily solved with the tech they developed to get there. She did not do instrumentality to save humanity. She did it as a monument to her own hubris.

This show is riddled with themes of people doing things that they convince themselves are righteous but in reality are quite destructive if the could see past their own egos.

it's kinda interesting how the people most into instrumentality in-universe are all self-absorbed dickheads

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Yinlock posted:

she's not

Rei & Shinji are basically the ones who managed to pull humanity back from the brink, Yui just hosed off to the moon to make a big shrine to herself

Yui is the one who orchestrated that.

Unit-01 refuses to activate with just the Dummy Plug System (despite it being designed precisely to replace the pilot); she, as much as anyone, insists on having Shinji in the cockpit (to Gendo's frustration).

Rei, Yui, and a third, Rei-like apparition (presumably Lilith) appear as a trio multiple times during EoE; Yui already knows what Rei is going to do during the Instrumentality process (as she literally explains it to Shinji) and the three finish each other's sentences during her confrontation with Gendo.

Fuyutsuki, who repeatedly throughout the series talks about how badly he wants humanity to survive no matter how petty or wicked we may be, is 100% behind Yui's plan, witnesses Instrumentality, and is satisfied that his work is done.

She's not mad about humanity surviving. She's the reason they survived; exactly why she needed Shinji as a key element is a mystery but no more so than why the Evangelions need child pilots at all.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Depending on your interpretation of events there are many degrees of fault possible in Yui's actions for for the events of the series but we have zero reason to think things wouldn't have been worse if she'd left everything up to SEELE. Second Impact is more on them than the Katsuragi Expedition. Third Impact would've still happened and most likely it would've been worse.

Like Yui is still a dysfunctional person that treats lives like numbers but this is Evangelion so

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Unit-01 refuses to activate with just the Dummy Plug System (despite it being designed precisely to replace the pilot); she, as much as anyone, insists on having Shinji in the cockpit (to Gendo's frustration).

Rei, Yui, and a third, Rei-like apparition (presumably Lilith) appear as a trio multiple times during EoE; Yui already knows what Rei is going to do during the Instrumentality process and the three straight-up finish each other's sentences.

Fuyutsuki, who repeatedly throughout the series talks about how badly he wants humanity to survive no matter how petty or wicked we may be, is 100% behind Yui's plan, witnesses Instrumentality, and is satisfied that his work is done.

She's not mad about humanity surviving. She's the reason they survived; exactly why she needed Shinji as a key element is a mystery but no more so than why the Evangelions need child pilots at all.

But why did she need to do all of this at all instead of focusing her effort on actual real problems. What is supposed to prevent the humans who come back from just having all the same dumb wars and conflicts and poo poo again?

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
i dont think the authorial intent about instrumentality being awful is necessarily the final word though. all things considered, a world in which all your flaws are compensated for, where you're basically in permanent bliss (well, as much as "you" exist anymore) sounds kinda great? the opposite at this time is a loving hellworld in every respect and despite anno telling us its STILL worth it idk if i quite believe him

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Rei, Yui, and a third, Rei-like apparition (presumably Lilith) appear as a trio multiple times during EoE; Yui already knows what Rei is going to do during the Instrumentality process (as she literally explains it to Shinji) and the three finish each other's sentences during her confrontation with Gendo.

and all this insane suffering and trauma just happens to make her a shining golden god in the process

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

But why did she need to do all of this at all instead of focusing her effort on actual real problems. What is supposed to prevent the humans who come back from just having all the same dumb wars and conflicts and poo poo again?

She's not trying to create world peace, although she's broadly optimistic about humanity's capacity to be happy as long as we're not all dead, but what she's actually trying to stop is the seemingly-predestined end of the world via either Unit-01 or Lilith (neither of which are likely to be an issue again after the end of EoE.)

Yinlock posted:

and all this insane suffering and trauma just happens to make her a shining golden god in the process

Wrong.

All this suffering and trauma makes her a lonely prisoner aboard an inert giant robot for the rest of eternity, a fate she is resigned to, rationalizing to herself, telling her son not to worry.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

but what she's actually trying to stop is the seemingly-predestined end of the world

you could easily argue it wouldn't have been predestined until she helped bring it about

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

All this suffering and trauma makes her a lonely prisoner aboard an inert giant robot for the rest of eternity, a fate she is resigned to, rationalizing to herself, telling her son not to worry.

being the inert robot was the goal, she wants to be a monument watching over a dead planet because she is a crazy person

e: also the reason Rei was rapidly shifting between herself and yui is because shinji just learned the truth about that and it was loving with his head

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Sure, if you ignore everything about the delivery of the lines in question, what she's actually saying, and the people she's saying them to.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Sure, if you ignore everything about the delivery of the lines in question, what she's actually saying, and the people she's saying them to.

Sure, if you ignore everything except the words spoken by a monster who happily ruined everything just to be a living extinction goalpost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Yinlock posted:

Sure, if you ignore everything except the words spoken by a monster who happily ruined everything just to be a living extinction goalpost

This is circular logic.