Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Arquinsiel posted:

The Ballad of Halo Jones starts out in Necromunda. There are multiple really obvious links if you know them.

Halo Jones being 40k canon would be amusing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Part of me wonders if all this speculating and hoping is even more for naught than usual. There's a lot of failure points between developing a show and going into production and I feel like if a single money person sees even half of a piece of concept art or a pre-vis it all goes out the window. And if it doesn't there's almost no way it comes out full-on Warhammer unless one of the premium channels picks it up and maybe not even then.

But god wouldn't it be nice.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Look at the Nilfgardian armor in the Witcher show.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Relevant Tangent posted:

Halo Jones being 40k canon would be amusing
It would slot right in TBH. While it predates Necromunda by quite a bit the influences are obviously there. It's also really really great.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Have they confirmed that the series would be live-action? I'm just worried that for major scenes where large amounts of CGI would be necessary, that the CGI will look like rear end 5 years after it's released.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Alternative pants posted:

Just skipped from The Crimson King (as promised a few pages back, lots of warp wankery, but not terrible) to the Buried Dagger, which I thoroughly enjoyed even if the DG fleet being stuck in the warp felt really rushed. Are there any of the books in between I should go back and read?

Wolfsbane if you like the Space Wolves.

Titandeath if you like Titans.

Other than that, I'd skip to the Solar War if you're looking for a new book.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Orv posted:

Part of me wonders if all this speculating and hoping is even more for naught than usual. There's a lot of failure points between developing a show and going into production and I feel like if a single money person sees even half of a piece of concept art or a pre-vis it all goes out the window. And if it doesn't there's almost no way it comes out full-on Warhammer unless one of the premium channels picks it up and maybe not even then.

But god wouldn't it be nice.

No, no... it'll be fine.

Episode one will have enough budget for a small 40k gunfight which will lead to Eisenhorn being catapulted back in time to modern day LA. After a hillarious misunderstanding he ends up an honorary member of the LAPD and has a will-they-won't-they relationship with a young woman detective as they go around solving crimes.

Occasionally random characters will pop through another portal because gently caress you.

Season 2 will be Ravenor appearing to hunt him down but our hero has learnt to love and his band of plucky humans will band together to send the mean old box back into the warp.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Dog_Meat posted:

No, no... it'll be fine.

Episode one will have enough budget for a small 40k gunfight which will lead to Eisenhorn being catapulted back in time to modern day LA. After a hillarious misunderstanding he ends up an honorary member of the LAPD and has a will-they-won't-they relationship with a young woman detective as they go around solving crimes.

Occasionally random characters will pop through another portal because gently caress you.

Season 2 will be Ravenor appearing to hunt him down but our hero has learnt to love and his band of plucky humans will band together to send the mean old box back into the warp.

The Chief of Police will be a giant of a man who appears slightly differently in every episode, sexworkers and drug dealers will all have an odd make/female symbol tattoo on their bodies, season 2 will have a plague outbreak and season 3 will deal with a group of paramilitary radicals attempting to overthrow the government by force.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Dog_Meat posted:

No, no... it'll be fine.

Season 1 of Eisenhorn is just season 5 of Lucifer

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Dog_Meat posted:

No, no... it'll be fine.

The only difference between Eisenhorn and a regular LAPD officer is that his victimssuspects expect to be shot without recourse to due process when caught.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Z the IVth posted:

The only difference between Eisenhorn and a regular LAPD officer is that his victimssuspects expect to be shot without recourse to due process when caught.

Theres no difference at all

Orv
May 4, 2011

Biplane posted:

Season 1 of Eisenhorn is just season 5 of Lucifer

Maybe at least they'll get around to the goddamn point in Eisenhorn.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Biplane posted:

Theres no difference at all

The inquisition has institutional frameworks and procedures designed to avoid and punish abuse, though?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Schadenboner posted:

The inquisition has institutional frameworks and procedures designed to avoid and punish abuse, though?

...How sure are you?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Orv posted:

...How sure are you?

I mean, :thejoke: I’m making here is that the LAPD doesn’t have those controls?

:shrug:

Orv
May 4, 2011
I was angling for a "I'm pretty sure the Inquisition doesn't either/just pretends," we're on the same page.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
An inquisitor who repeatedly orders an exterminatus is actually in significant jeopardy of losing his job; an LAPD officer is only in serious danger of getting a month’s paid vacation.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Does the inquisition ever cast out one of their own? There are all sorts of references to people becoming “rogue inquisitors” when they fly too close to the proverbial sun and get hunted down, but they still call those people “inquisitors.” I guess maybe it’s like the marines, where once you’re in you’re in.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Did you not read Eisenhorn? They do it all the time.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
The Black Library (Warhammer): Don’t Make Me Tap The “Read Eisenhorn” Sign Again!

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Does the inquisition ever cast out one of their own? There are all sorts of references to people becoming “rogue inquisitors” when they fly too close to the proverbial sun and get hunted down, but they still call those people “inquisitors.” I guess maybe it’s like the marines, where once you’re in you’re in.

They can be officially "retired" - see the guy in Eisenhorn who had to give up his badge after he developed space-Alzheimer's. If they go rogue though there's nothing stopping them from flashing their badge and impersonating someone else.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Oh I know Eisenhorn and all of that, but aren’t evil space inquisitors still called “inquisitor” - even by the people that are hunting them? I don’t remember if they ever lose that honorific once they earn it.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Oh I know Eisenhorn and all of that, but aren’t evil space inquisitors still called “inquisitor” - even by the people that are hunting them? I don’t remember if they ever lose that honorific once they earn it.
It's sort of like a designation, in the same way that we mark nuclear weapons, although those kill less people.

"Warning: This person routinely thinks about killing millions of people and has gotten quite good at it"

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

A whole bunch of library reserves and holds came in at once and now I've got Pariah, I Am Slaughter, Necropolis, and The Carrion Throne to work my way through. Busy week ahead.

One thing I'm curious about is where Pariah fits in with the Eisenhorn books. I was under the impression that it was a sequel to Magos. The publisher info said it was released six years earlier in 2012 so I was way off. Where does it fit in to the chronology of the Eisenhorn and Ravenor series'?

edit: 1d4chan claims there's a whole minor Ordos in the Inquisition dedicated to investigating exterminatus orders, and that most inquisitors who call for them are stripped of their rank because it was unnecessary and wasteful. They don't have any sourcing sadly, but it says that "official statistics" have 90% of Inquisitors who blow up planets declared heretics.

Galvanik fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jul 26, 2019

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Galvanik posted:

A whole bunch of library reserves and holds came in at once and now I've got Pariah, I Am Slaughter, Necropolis, and The Carrion Throne to work my way through. Busy week ahead.

One thing I'm curious about is where Pariah fits in with the Eisenhorn books. I was under the impression that it was a sequel to Magos. The publisher info said it was released six years earlier in 2012 so I was way off. Where does it fit in to the chronology of the Eisenhorn and Ravenor series'?

Chronologically Pariah is after Magos.

E:
The "Official" reading order from the front of Magos (which is like 1/2 shorts and 1/2 Novella):

quote:

Pestilence (short)

Master Imus' Transgression (short)

Regia Occulta (short)

Xenos (novel)

Missing in Action (short)

Malleus (novel)

Backcloth for a Crown Additional (short)

The Strange Demise of Titus Endor (short)

Hereticus (novel)

The Curiosity (short)

Playing Patience (short)

Ravenor (novel)

Thorn Wishes Talon (short)

Ravenor Returned (novel)

Ravenor Rogue (novel)

Gardens of Tycho (short)

The Keeler Image (short)

Perihelion (short)

The Magos (novel)

Pariah (novel)

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jul 26, 2019

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

And I still disagree with that, read Pariah before Magos, Magos explains some concepts that come up in Pariah but Pariah was written with the idea that the reader wouldn't know the terms ahead of time. Wait, read the short stories, THEN read Pariah, then Magos. I think Perihelion was written before/concurrently with Pariah.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

SardonicTyrant posted:

It's sort of like a designation, in the same way that we mark nuclear weapons, although those kill less people.

"Warning: This person routinely thinks about killing millions of people and has gotten quite good at it"
I like how Eisenhorn/Ravenor sort of implies that an Inqusitor is damned from day dot, and it's just a matter of seeing how much good they can do before they die or turn. This is great when you see the progression from Eisenhorn looking at Quixos' justification of "it'll work" as heretical, to Eisenhorn seeing it as "huh, maybe if I just do it a little bit..." and realise it's a balancing act between understanding the threat and what the Inquisitor will accept as a solution to that threat.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

They can also choose to go "special condition" which basically means "Guys! I'm going dark for a bit. Gonna do some shady poo poo. Might check in later, k thanks". Ravenor does this in one of the later books to the extent that his team start questioning if they're still on the right path.. Of course, if you're out of contact for too long and bodies start piling up without a report being filed then you get declared rogue.

Note that in a galaxy where time flows differently due to warp travel shennanigans you could be rogue for a long time.

SardonicTyrant posted:

Also, the more prestigious and powerful you are, the less you get questioned for erasing an entire star system because you saw a tattoo. If you're fresh out of the academy and start shouting exterminatus you're going to get reigned in and slapped down pretty hard. Whereas if you're known throughout the galaxy as the guy who once stopped an elder god from rising by destroying a world and you're at the point where you walk into a room wearing power armour surrounded by flying babies carrying scrolls and skulls singing laments you're PROBABLY going to get a bit more leeway.

There's a reason why baby inquisitors have to serve as interrogators first. It gives them a bit of perspective to learn from a grizzled old bastard and also gives them a bit of clout when they step out on their own. "Oh poo poo, that guy was Eisenhorn's understudy!".

Not to mention those interrogators often get their big break dealing with their mentor when they realise they're starting to glow purple, keeping pet daemons and waving warp fuelled swords around.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

I think Inquisitor Kryptmann got officially thrown out of the Inquisition for calling exterminatus on so many planets to thwart the Tyranid advance by starving them. Technically his plan worked, but it was genocide on such a horrific scale even fellow inquisitors went "uh, that's kinda going too far, you've managed to kill actual percentages of imperial population, which, while impressive, is also horrifying". And then he later created that thing where an Ork Waaargh and a Tyranid Hive Fleet were endlessly fighting each other in some system, each side growing stronger and stronger, and when one side eventually wins, the victor is going to be horrifically powerful.

so what I'm saying is you have to be an utterly colossal gently caress up on a galactic scale to get officially thrown out of the Inquisition

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

SpiritOfLenin posted:

And then he later created that thing where an Ork Waaargh and a Tyranid Hive Fleet were endlessly fighting each other in some system, each side growing stronger and stronger, and when one side eventually wins, the victor is going to be horrifically powerful.

so what I'm saying is you have to be an utterly colossal gently caress up on a galactic scale to get officially thrown out of the Inquisition

Wasn't the final step for the endless war that he was going to Exterminatus the planet, but the fleet got nommed by tyranids or called away to fight Chaos or something like that, and was never replaced? Either way, incredibly stupid.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

SpiritOfLenin posted:

And then he later created that thing where an Ork Waaargh and a Tyranid Hive Fleet were endlessly fighting each other in some system, each side growing stronger and stronger, and when one side eventually wins, the victor is going to be horrifically powerful.

There's a mention in 8th edition of the rules (or one of the codexes) of that beginning to leak out of the system or implying that the orkz have mostly won and are now continuing onwards.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

They should make them re-evolved Krorks that are coming out of the Tyranid fight for a war against the Necrons.

Primaris orks.

Porks.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They already had the Primorks.
Rogal Dorn voice: The War of the Beast was weird.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Cooked Auto posted:

There's a mention in 8th edition of the rules (or one of the codexes) of that beginning to leak out of the system or implying that the orkz have mostly won and are now continuing onwards.

It'll be fiiiiiine.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

To be fair to Inquisition, I think they kicked out Kryptmann after the genocide and he did the Kryptmann Gambit (=make Orks and Tyranids fight) afterwards.

The Inquisition really should have put some more resources into taking out Kryptmann after they kicked him out, I think.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I just got a copy of the rogue trader corebook for the lore and it's pretty awesome.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

SpiritOfLenin posted:

I think Inquisitor Kryptmann got officially thrown out of the Inquisition for calling exterminatus on so many planets to thwart the Tyranid advance by starving them. Technically his plan worked, but it was genocide on such a horrific scale even fellow inquisitors went "uh, that's kinda going too far, you've managed to kill actual percentages of imperial population, which, while impressive, is also horrifying". And then he later created that thing where an Ork Waaargh and a Tyranid Hive Fleet were endlessly fighting each other in some system, each side growing stronger and stronger, and when one side eventually wins, the victor is going to be horrifically powerful.

You also have to be pretty powerful or good to get kicked out of the Inquisition or even face trial. If you are just starting out then it will probably the equivalent to a bullet in the back of the head in a dark ally. Best not to impinge on the reputation of the Inquisition.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

SpiritOfLenin posted:

The Inquisition really should have put some more resources into taking out Kryptmann after they kicked him out, I think.

I'm more surprised that the standard Inquisitorial pink slip isn't applied directly to the skull with an attached bolt shell.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Z the IVth posted:

I'm more surprised that the standard Inquisitorial pink slip isn't applied directly to the skull with an attached bolt shell.

You’d have to get through Kryptmann’s incredible helmet first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

You’d have to get through Kryptmann’s incredible helmet first

Im teh grimdark tefillin.