Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Does an MP3 player that can download podcasts over wifi exist? My use case is bicycle touring where i would want to have hours of podcasts queued up but have my phone turned off to preserve battery life. It doesn’t need anything fancy from a UI perspective, battery life is key here.

Probably the best solution for you would be to pick up a used iPod Touch, or get the HiBy R3 or FiiO M6 which are Linux-based and Android-based MP3 players respectively, with wifi, that are still in production and are basically modified phones more suited for media playback. The FiiO in particular has explicit support for several apps that allow for podcast downloads over wifi as well as built-in apps that can do ti - so if you already use a service like Spotify for that on your phone, you can use the exact same on that device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

On Monday, I received a text message saying that a package is on its way to me. I was not expecting anything, but I typed the tracking number into the carrier's (DHL) web page anyway. Its origin was in Europe (and I have no relation to it) and its destination is in my home state (CA) in the Bay Area while I live in SoCal. I figured it was a typo with the phone number and ignore it.

Today (Wednesday), the day of the delivery, I get a call asking me if they "can just leave it on the front porch". I had totally forgotten about the text, so I just say "sure". The strange thing is that the caller used my name.

Since I was not expecting anything, and since I don't see any strange activity on my credit cards, I was willing to just ignore it. But the fact that they used my name and phone number but not my physical address intrigues me. I am not sure if I have enough information in order to call up DHL and get useful answers.

What do I do? At least I would like to know the delivery address as I do have family/work in the Bay Area, but of course the tracking page does not show any of that info.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

theHUNGERian posted:

On Monday, I received a text message saying that a package is on its way to me. I was not expecting anything, but I typed the tracking number into the carrier's (DHL) web page anyway. Its origin was in Europe (and I have no relation to it) and its destination is in my home state (CA) in the Bay Area while I live in SoCal. I figured it was a typo with the phone number and ignore it.

Today (Wednesday), the day of the delivery, I get a call asking me if they "can just leave it on the front porch". I had totally forgotten about the text, so I just say "sure". The strange thing is that the caller used my name.

Since I was not expecting anything, and since I don't see any strange activity on my credit cards, I was willing to just ignore it. But the fact that they used my name and phone number but not my physical address intrigues me. I am not sure if I have enough information in order to call up DHL and get useful answers.

What do I do? At least I would like to know the delivery address as I do have family/work in the Bay Area, but of course the tracking page does not show any of that info.
To clarify, are you sure they didn't actually deliver something to your address which someone picked up? If so, there is a non-zero possibility someone had some drugs delivered to your home. If it was from the Netherlands, almost 100%.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
I need a new tension bar for my shower (curtain) and it's been absolute ages since I needed to shop for one. Browsing around it looks like they're mostly standardized lengths, but is there anything I need to consider aside from that if I'm not doing a fixed install (bc rental)

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

Gobbeldygook posted:

To clarify, are you sure they didn't actually deliver something to your address which someone picked up? If so, there is a non-zero possibility someone had some drugs delivered to your home. If it was from the Netherlands, almost 100%.

I would call the delivery service to confirm a package coming to your address. Worse case scenario its drugs and you get murdered by the internet mafia, best case is some catfished dummy sending you thousands in jewelry.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Gobbeldygook posted:

I most certainly did not receive anything at my home. I highly doubt that something was delivered to my place and picked up by someone else (I live in a super remote location). I DO know that the item was delivered in San Jose, while I live in Santa Barbara (300 miles to the south). The origin location is Ipswitch, UK, a place I have zero ties to.

Our company head quarters recently moved to San Jose, but it's a huge company, and the caller specifically asked if he could "leave it on the front porch", which suggests a residential destination.

Quabzor posted:

I would call the delivery service to confirm a package coming to your address. Worse case scenario its drugs and you get murdered by the internet mafia, best case is some catfished dummy sending you thousands in jewelry.

I'll call them up.

Edit: I called them up, but DHL couldn't even confirm that the tracking number had my name attached to it. ParanoidParotMeme.jpg
Edit2: Maybe when the caller called, I misheard my name. Maybe some caller ID-thing gave him my name.

At any rate, the tracking page now shows more info. The name of the recipient is there and I don't know them. Under description, it shows "Kettles". The origin now shows as Braintree , United Kingdom, and the text message did say that the sender was "Amara". A quick google search shows that "Amara" (https://www.amara.com/us/content/contact) is a store, with a location in Braintree , United Kingdom, and they sell, among other things, kettles. All hail the kettle mafia.

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jul 25, 2019

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
I kinda want to know the end to this story now. :suspense:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

HiroProtagonist posted:

I need a new tension bar for my shower (curtain) and it's been absolute ages since I needed to shop for one. Browsing around it looks like they're mostly standardized lengths, but is there anything I need to consider aside from that if I'm not doing a fixed install (bc rental)

Get one that is slightly U shaped. The extra space it provides makes a shower feel much more roomy

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

theHUNGERian posted:

I most certainly did not receive anything at my home. I highly doubt that something was delivered to my place and picked up by someone else (I live in a super remote location). I DO know that the item was delivered in San Jose, while I live in Santa Barbara (300 miles to the south). The origin location is Ipswitch, UK, a place I have zero ties to.

Our company head quarters recently moved to San Jose, but it's a huge company, and the caller specifically asked if he could "leave it on the front porch", which suggests a residential destination.

I'll call them up.

Edit: I called them up, but DHL couldn't even confirm that the tracking number had my name attached to it. ParanoidParotMeme.jpg
Edit2: Maybe when the caller called, I misheard my name. Maybe some caller ID-thing gave him my name.

At any rate, the tracking page now shows more info. The name of the recipient is there and I don't know them. Under description, it shows "Kettles". The origin now shows as Braintree , United Kingdom, and the text message did say that the sender was "Amara". A quick google search shows that "Amara" (https://www.amara.com/us/content/contact) is a store, with a location in Braintree , United Kingdom, and they sell, among other things, kettles. All hail the kettle mafia.

You know you have to call Amara now right and post the result of your Kettle investigation?

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

theHUNGERian posted:

I'll call them up.

I think someone has stolen all your personal details from another shopping site you have used.

They've used this purchase to check that the details are valid and the next step is to order something expensive and try to get the delivery address changed. It hasn't shown up on your credit card transactions yet as either foreign ones take longer to process, or their fraud dept stopped payment.

And the shopping site are morons for accepting an order to be shipped from the UK to the USA, despite having branches in the USA

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
:11tea::iiam:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

fishmech posted:

Probably the best solution for you would be to pick up a used iPod Touch, or get the HiBy R3 or FiiO M6 which are Linux-based and Android-based MP3 players respectively, with wifi, that are still in production and are basically modified phones more suited for media playback. The FiiO in particular has explicit support for several apps that allow for podcast downloads over wifi as well as built-in apps that can do ti - so if you already use a service like Spotify for that on your phone, you can use the exact same on that device.

I appreciate this. I wound up buying a Sony A45 series for cheap from Amazon Warehouse. 2 things make it less than ideal - no WiFi, and a proprietary cord, but it has up to 45hr battery life and looks to be pretty easy to load up ahead of time, and can do podcast subscriptions.

It’s also insane that 7th/8th generation iPod nanos are still going for premium prices.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
Amara appears to be an online-only business that is headquartered in Braintree, so it might also be possible that an online order of a kettle was just drop shipped from Braintree, and that the customer mistyped his phone number.

Still, yeah, it might be good to check your statements online or call your credit card providers to ask if any unexpected transactions (not just foreign) have been received but not yet posted, and keep a log of the phone calls and other comms you've made on this until you've reviewed your next couple of credit card statements.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

When I am working from home via VPN, I can copy text and files from my home PC and paste them into my work computer via VPN. How does that work? It seems like my work computer would have its own clipboard data stored on it from copying in that environment. How can they both access the same clipboard?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

It has nothing to do with the VPN and everything to do with whatever remote console client you are using.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I want to measure the temp of the water coming out of my showers. What's the easiest and most cost efficient way to do this? Could I just buy one of those IR Laser Temperature Meter Guns?

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Motronic posted:

It has nothing to do with the VPN and everything to do with whatever remote console client you are using.

Thanks - we use Cisco AnyConnect, so I guess it's just a feature of that client?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Busy Bee posted:

I want to measure the temp of the water coming out of my showers. What's the easiest and most cost efficient way to do this? Could I just buy one of those IR Laser Temperature Meter Guns?

Set the temperature of the water. Fill a glass with water. Use digital thermometer.

Bing bong so easy

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

me your dad posted:

When I am working from home via VPN, I can copy text and files from my home PC and paste them into my work computer via VPN. How does that work? It seems like my work computer would have its own clipboard data stored on it from copying in that environment. How can they both access the same clipboard?

I mean, if you're using Windows I'm pretty sure it's designed so that it works this way too. I admit I'm not the poor fucker who deals with Windows admin poo poo in my circle, but I was under the impression it "just works."

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

me your dad posted:

Thanks - we use Cisco AnyConnect, so I guess it's just a feature of that client?

That's your VPN client, unless you are also using one of the remote console apps that can be bundled in. Whatever is the thing that is showing your work machine is the app responsible for syncng the clipboards (it's a really common feature).

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
What's a good safe/easy torrent client? I want to download something haven't done that in ages.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
qBittorrent.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

TofuDiva posted:

Still, yeah, it might be good to check your statements online or call your credit card providers to ask if any unexpected transactions (not just foreign) have been received but not yet posted, and keep a log of the phone calls and other comms you've made on this until you've reviewed your next couple of credit card statements.

Even without strange activity, I log in a few times a week, so yeah, I'll keep an eye on it, though I am certain that a person just messed up a regular customer's phone number with that of a paranoid goon.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

pseudanonymous posted:

What's a good safe/easy torrent client? I want to download something haven't done that in ages.

Agreed, qBittorrent is the current best one. Silver medal goes to Transmission.

And if the situation is such you'd prefer that large lawsuit-happy media conglomerates don't learn your IP address, you might want to look into a VPN service. They're only a few bucks a month. Just sayin'.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Get a seedbox, bonuses: Your downloads are always super fast, you can stream directly to the tv through plex, they'll handle all the ISP letters with no input from you.

e: You can also start getting into private trackers since you will always maintain a good seeding ratio, and a lot of them come with Usenet.

oot
Jun 28, 2019

You never have to worry about copyright with non-commercial stuff, right?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

oot posted:

What? No! Since your work is non-commercial, your use of works is more likely to fall under fair use, but it's far from automatic.

Wikipedia is your friend here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use#U.S._fair_use_factors

Basically, in the US, your work that includes copyrighted works has to be: 1. educational/not for profit, 2. of a specific nature that benefits the public by making use of copyrighted material in that way, 3. including as little copyrighted material as possible, and 4. used in such a way that it doesn't stop the copyright holder from benefitting from their work.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Everything in the USA made after 1923 is generally considered in copyright, or at least eligible to be. This isn't true for some things since there are periods where certain media types needed to have the copyright filed within a certain amount of time. This is why, despite being made no where near the 1920s, the original dawn of the dead film is in public domain.

Fair use can be tricky. Usually lawyers suggest you have a strong case in at least 2 if not 3 of the 4 criteria before you go for it. Problem is a lot of it is legal theory, and until someone takes things to court to get decisions made nob9nes for certain how things will go.

If you have specific questions let me know. I am not a lawyer bit as an academic librarian I deal with copyright and fair use all the time.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

HiroProtagonist posted:

I've bought a couple of shower rods recently. The bargain ones at Walmart work just fine.

If you have a non-standard shower length, we've been pretty happy with this adjustable length rod. Had two of them for a few months now (switched to them a few weeks after moving in). https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y1HW4FZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
That's super over-kill if you can use one of the standard length rods though.

George H.W. oval office posted:

Get one that is slightly U shaped. The extra space it provides makes a shower feel much more roomy

Moving the shower rod out an extra inch or two helps as well/instead. Both of my shower rods are installed two inches out and two inches higher than I usually would. The extra height helps minimize how much non-tile surface is exposed to incidental water spray.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
I came across a 1000 Afghani dollar bill (worth ~$12.50 USD). While neat, I don't really need it so I took it to my bank (Chase) to do a currency exchange. But the teller couldn't find it in their list of accepted currencies so she couldn't exchange it.. 1) Why might that be? 2) Where can I take/send this bill to get some USD?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

oot posted:

Standard not a lawyer disclaimer goes here.

The answer to "never" is "no." Sometimes you do have to worry about it. Whether or not it actually gets anybody's attention or anybody actually cares might make it fly under the radar sometimes but even non-commercial stuff can still get hit with a copyright claim. One of the most important things to consider is the difference between appropriation and plagiarism. There's also a lot of common uses that fall under "fair use." A prime example of that is writing a game review; generally speaking having some screenshots of said game for the purpose of talking about it is not considered a copyright violation. That also isn't plagiarism as you aren't trying to claim you made the game or its graphics. You're talking about a game and going "here is a picture!" Parody and comedy also have some absurdly strong protections. You can, for example, take an image, put a funny caption on it, and usually be OK. I think Europe has been noodling around with this one but the U.S. jokes have some pretty solid protection.

Usually if you aren't making any money the worst that happens is they send you a strongly worded letter asking you nicely to take the thing down. Mostly when that happens people do. Soon as money gets involved they might start suing for revenue or profit. I think there have been cases where people sued for potential for profit. There was a fan DBZ game a billion years ago that was really a mod for...some thing or another that ended up getting over a million downloads. The people who made it never intended on making money off of it but they got handed a cease and desist because there was a lot of potential for that to make money. That there was non-commercial but very probably would have counted as a copyright violation if it actually landed in court.

So yeah, it'll really very much depend on just what the hell you're doing. There are times where you have to worry about copyright for non-commercial stuff and there are companies that are aggressive about their intellectual property.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

drat Bananas posted:

I came across a 1000 Afghani dollar bill (worth ~$12.50 USD). While neat, I don't really need it so I took it to my bank (Chase) to do a currency exchange. But the teller couldn't find it in their list of accepted currencies so she couldn't exchange it.. 1) Why might that be? 2) Where can I take/send this bill to get some USD?

Probably because there's minimal business in it. You will be better off taking it to a dedicated currency exchange business, as they're more willing to exchange non-major currencies.

Just search for "currency exchange" on Google maps in your area.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

oot posted:

You always have to worry about copyright. Whether the copyright holder will come and ruin your life is what’s variable. Fair use is a defense but it’s a defense you have to make in court, so even if you’re right you still gotta shill out for big lawyer time and hope you still win.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I once got caught in flagrante delicto with a copyright just as the holder came home. It is no joke.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

There's also a lot of common uses that fall under "fair use." A prime example of that is writing a game review; generally speaking having some screenshots of said game for the purpose of talking about it is not considered a copyright violation. That also isn't plagiarism as you aren't trying to claim you made the game or its graphics. You're talking about a game and going "here is a picture!" Parody and comedy also have some absurdly strong protections. You can, for example, take an image, put a funny caption on it, and usually be OK. I think Europe has been noodling around with this one but the U.S. jokes have some pretty solid protection.
Those two things are essentially the same. In both cases you have to be making a comment on or critique of the original work. You can use someone's art to make a parody of that art but you can't, for example, use it to make your own unrelated comic strip.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Another thread mentioned that, technically, Boris Johnson could run for President of the United States (except he renounced his citizenship), so I was wondering, if someone was elected to two positions like that, how would that work?

And I'm only using Johnson in the example since that's what made me think of this question.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Leavemywife posted:

Another thread mentioned that, technically, Boris Johnson could run for President of the United States (except he renounced his citizenship), so I was wondering, if someone was elected to two positions like that, how would that work?

And I'm only using Johnson in the example since that's what made me think of this question.

Like all legal questions, it would depend heavily on the applicable jurisdictions.

To take your example, from the US side, there's an immediate constitutional issue:

US Constitution, Article I, Section 9 posted:

No Title of Nobility shall be granted by the United States: And no Person holding any Office of Profit or Trust under them, shall, without the Consent of the Congress, accept of any present, Emolument, Office, or Title, of any kind whatever, from any King, Prince, or foreign State.

So unless Congress was down, it just couldn't happen from the US side. Presumably other jurisdictions would have something similar.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

ulmont posted:

Like all legal questions, it would depend heavily on the applicable jurisdictions.

To take your example, from the US side, there's an immediate constitutional issue:

US Constitution, Article I, Section 9 posted posted:

No Title of Nobility shall be granted by the United States: And no Person holding any Office of Profit or Trust under them, shall, without the Consent of the Congress, accept of any present, Emolument, Office, or Title, of any kind whatever, from any King, Prince, or foreign State.

So unless Congress was down, it just couldn't happen from the US side. Presumably other jurisdictions would have something similar.

I am not a lawyer but I think you're reading that backwards. The way I read that is that no USA official can accept a Title or Office in a foreign country. It doesn't seem to say anything about what happens when someone who already has a foreign title or office tries to get a USA one. So it wouldn't prevent electing Boris Johnson, or say, the Queen of England, as president. Which is weird.

Even if you are reading it correctly, Congress has provided for some standing exceptions to section 9. Notably, USA military members are allowed to receive some medals from foreign powers. Wikipedia has a long list of the current exceptions.

In any case, I would not be surprised if the current Senate voted to allow it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Leavemywife posted:

Simón Bolivar was presidents of Gran Columbia (modern day Venezuela, Colombia, Panama and Ecuador, plus small parts of other neighbouring countries), Peru and Bolivia for most of 1825.