Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
I've heard that US Customs/Border agents may ask to look at your unlocked phone when entering the US.

I've also heard that there are encryption programs for PCs that hide the fact that the PC is encrypted at all. The encrypted stuff is on a hidden partition or something, and third parties looking at the PC just see a normal Windows installation or whatever.

Do such encryption programs exist for Android devices?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Per posted:

I've heard that US Customs/Border agents may ask to look at your unlocked phone when entering the US.

I've also heard that there are encryption programs for PCs that hide the fact that the PC is encrypted at all. The encrypted stuff is on a hidden partition or something, and third parties looking at the PC just see a normal Windows installation or whatever.

Do such encryption programs exist for Android devices?
For most people this wouldn't help them as what the CBP want to go through are your contacts, social media, messaging services, email, etc. If they decide to search your phone and don't see what they expect, they will ask you for the relevant logins. If you lie and say you don't have any social media and they catch you in the lie they'll deny you entry. If you refuse to provide logins or to unlock your phone, best case is they confiscate your device to perform forensics.

Here's an example how CBP treats Americans.

quote:

After I gave him the password to my iPhone, Moncivias spent three hours reviewing hundreds of photos and videos and emails and calls and texts, including encrypted messages on WhatsApp, Signal, and Telegram. It was the digital equivalent of tossing someone’s house: opening cabinets, pulling out drawers, and overturning furniture in hopes of finding something — anything — illegal. He read my communications with friends, family, and loved ones. He went through my correspondence with colleagues, editors, and sources. He asked about the identities of people who have worked with me in war zones. He also went through my personal photos, which I resented. Consider everything on your phone right now. Nothing on mine was spared.
They frequently took my devices out of the room for long periods of time. When I asked if they had backed up the devices or copied files, they denied it, which I found hard to believe. “You didn’t stick a thumb drive in there?” I asked Pomeroy, who was walking around carrying my laptop. He pretended not to hear.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

LLSix posted:

I am not a lawyer but I think you're reading that backwards. The way I read that is that no USA official can accept a Title or Office in a foreign country. It doesn't seem to say anything about what happens when someone who already has a foreign title or office tries to get a USA one. So it wouldn't prevent electing Boris Johnson, or say, the Queen of England, as president. Which is weird.

Even if you are reading it correctly, Congress has provided for some standing exceptions to section 9. Notably, USA military members are allowed to receive some medals from foreign powers. Wikipedia has a long list of the current exceptions.

In any case, I would not be surprised if the current Senate voted to allow it.

Queen Elizabeth is actually a bad example as you have to be born a U.S. citizen to be eligible to run for president, ever. Granted she could become a U.S. citizen and run for like the Senate or something but the presidency is right out unless that gets changed.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Thanks for the answers, but now I'm wondering, how would that affect trade and stuff? Or would it not necessarily have a giant impact?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Gobbeldygook posted:

For most people this wouldn't help them as what the CBP want to go through are your contacts, social media, messaging services, email, etc. If they decide to search your phone and don't see what they expect, they will ask you for the relevant logins. If you lie and say you don't have any social media and they catch you in the lie they'll deny you entry. If you refuse to provide logins or to unlock your phone, best case is they confiscate your device to perform forensics.

Stories like this are why I wouldn't cross into the US carrying hardware I couldn't afford to lose, or that had any personal info at all on them. A cheap burner phone and a factory-reset chromebook, neither one connected to any of my "real" accounts, would work great. If asked about it, I'd just say (100% truthfully) that I picked up some cheap devices for travel, due to the risk of damage or theft. (Hopefully I'd have brains enough not to mention that the customs agent is himself the potential thief I'm most worried about.)

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

Stories like this are why I wouldn't cross into the US carrying hardware I couldn't afford to lose, or that had any personal info at all on them. A cheap burner phone and a factory-reset chromebook, neither one connected to any of my "real" accounts, would work great. If asked about it, I'd just say (100% truthfully) that I picked up some cheap devices for travel, due to the risk of damage or theft. (Hopefully I'd have brains enough not to mention that the customs agent is himself the potential thief I'm most worried about.)
Again, unless you're an American citizen, this doesn't work. If they look at your phone and don't see the level of personal information they expect they will demand you tell them your social media accounts and passwords and will happily log in to your Facebook account on their own computer. If you don't cooperate, you don't get to enter the US.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

LLSix posted:

I am not a lawyer but I think you're reading that backwards. The way I read that is that no USA official can accept a Title or Office in a foreign country. It doesn't seem to say anything about what happens when someone who already has a foreign title or office tries to get a USA one. So it wouldn't prevent electing Boris Johnson, or say, the Queen of England, as president. Which is weird.

I am also not a lawyer, but Article II lays out the basic requirements as being 1) a natural born citizen; 2) minimum 35 years of age; and 3) "been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States." The US residency requirement would in practical terms make it difficult for a candidate to qualify while holding an office of any substance in another country.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Gobbeldygook posted:

Again, unless you're an American citizen, this doesn't work. If they look at your phone and don't see the level of personal information they expect they will demand you tell them your social media accounts and passwords and will happily log in to your Facebook account on their own computer. If you don't cooperate, you don't get to enter the US.

What do they do if you don't have everything conveniently memorized? For example, what if you keep your Facebook password written down on your desk at home, thousands of miles away?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

What do they do if you don't have everything conveniently memorized? For example, what if you keep your Facebook password written down on your desk at home, thousands of miles away?
You now have to submit a list of all social media accounts you've used within the past five years just to apply for a visa to come to the US. If you claim at the boder that you can't log into an account that you told them in writing was yours, they will probably assume you're lying to them now and deny entry. They will never be punished for telling an uncooperative or suspicious foreigner to gently caress off, so guess what they do?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Leavemywife posted:

Thanks for the answers, but now I'm wondering, how would that affect trade and stuff? Or would it not necessarily have a giant impact?

It wouldn't have any impact? The head of state often has very little to do with the fine details of trade arrangements. At most it makes you more likely as a head of two states to accidentally break rules or traditions of the office in one of them. It would more be highly irregular because of the fact that being a head of state is a full time job at the best of times.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

LLSix posted:

Even assuming your interpretation that this clause is only forward looking and would not bar a current office-holder from holding a US office...the next paycheck for the foreign office is an emolument.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

ulmont posted:

Even assuming your interpretation that this clause is only forward looking and would not bar a current office-holder from holding a US office...the next paycheck for the foreign office is an emolument.

Seems like we're okay with those now

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

To be fair, Trump isn't really a head of state so much as the airhead of state.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Gobbeldygook posted:

You now have to submit a list of all social media accounts you've used within the past five years just to apply for a visa to come to the US. If you claim at the boder that you can't log into an account that you told them in writing was yours, they will probably assume you're lying to them now and deny entry. They will never be punished for telling an uncooperative or suspicious foreigner to gently caress off, so guess what they do?

I believe this is only required for visa requests from certain nationalities (Iran, Yemen, Afghanistan, etc.). For everyone one else, it's 'optional' for the time being.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Penguissimo posted:

Seems like we're okay with those now

That case is still moving forward.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Are Krause catalogs no longer sold as pdfs? I could swear I saw it still working about month ago.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
What is the story behind this: :chloe: ?

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Mister Kingdom posted:

What is the story behind this: :chloe: ?

https://youtu.be/NGhuLkjl4iI

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Okay, but what's it supposed to signify?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Mister Kingdom posted:

It's meant to be a bemused expression because you're not exactly sure how to respond to the situation. Usually the picture is meant to suggest disdain but that's more about how the titular Chloe's facial expression can be interpreted that way.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Mister Kingdom posted:

I always interpret it as an alternative wtf.

Kid1 and Kid2 get news that they are going to Disneyland. Kid1 [off-camera] is probably 'yeah, ok, whatever' but Kid2 is like *loses mind* and Kid1 is reacting now reacting with 'wtf' - :chloe: - to Kid2's reaction.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Mister Kingdom posted:

Do you often struggle to read the emotions of others?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Any goon preferred source for making a blog?

Basically I just want to read books, and then write up little book reports on a blog.

Thoughts?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Any goon preferred source for making a blog?

Basically I just want to read books, and then write up little book reports on a blog.

Thoughts?

Wordpress is the go-to I've seen for all of my friend's blogs.

e: on mobile so I can't link but I should clarify that they're all book review blogs. Some of them get ARCs via Netgalley with their blogs so, yeah. Wordpress!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

You could just use a Goodreads account?

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
who makes those Facebook ads for games that have nothing to do with the actual games? like the Hero Wars ones where you're sliding physics objects around, or the Homescape ones where it's like a survival adventure game, or the Game of Thrones ones where it's like Runescape

someone has to know what I'm talking about

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

I don't know but I thought Hero Wars looked like a neat puzzle game and it's absolutely not, just a big loving grind.

I want to play the game in the ads.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Gobbeldygook posted:

I had a friend going to Canada, and the border agents there insisted he log into his phone and let them go through it. Additionally, he was told that if he refused, he wouldn't be denied entry into Canada; rather, he would be indefinitely detained.

So, it's not just the U.S. pulling this poo poo (not that that makes it okay, just something to be aware of the next time you go to Canada). I plan on wiping my phone the next time I go to Canada.

Bourgeoisie
Nov 19, 2007

One ticket, please.
I am travelling to the US with my girlfriend for less than three weeks. Would it make sense for each of us to get a prepaid data sim card or share a pocket wifi rental if that is even an option? Any recommendations?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Bourgeoisie posted:

I am travelling to the US with my girlfriend for less than three weeks. Would it make sense for each of us to get a prepaid data sim card or share a pocket wifi rental if that is even an option? Any recommendations?

It'll be cheaper to buy prepaid cards from a convenience store or something, than to rent a wifi device plus buy a card for service.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jul 30, 2019

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Anybody have experience with buying an Amazon Kindle while abroad?

Does the book selection and price differ between countries?

I’m located in Denmark, which means my default options are ordering from Amazon’s German or British storefronts. I’m also in Canada for a while, so I could buy one there.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Fruits of the sea posted:

Anybody have experience with buying an Amazon Kindle while abroad?

Does the book selection and price differ between countries?

I’m located in Denmark, which means my default options are ordering from Amazon’s German or British storefronts. I’m also in Canada for a while, so I could buy one there.

The books are by amazon account.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Thanatosian posted:

I had a friend going to Canada, and the border agents there insisted he log into his phone and let them go through it. Additionally, he was told that if he refused, he wouldn't be denied entry into Canada; rather, he would be indefinitely detained.

So, it's not just the U.S. pulling this poo poo (not that that makes it okay, just something to be aware of the next time you go to Canada). I plan on wiping my phone the next time I go to Canada.

I remember reading that Canada started hassling USA citizens at the border in retaliation for USA hassling their citizens.
I'm assuming your friend is from the USA but I'd be surprised to hear they were doing this kind of thing to EU visitors.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

StrixNebulosa posted:

Wordpress is the go-to I've seen for all of my friend's blogs.

e: on mobile so I can't link but I should clarify that they're all book review blogs. Some of them get ARCs via Netgalley with their blogs so, yeah. Wordpress!

Wordpress is an abomination.

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

Big Bad Beetleborg posted:

I don't know but I thought Hero Wars looked like a neat puzzle game and it's absolutely not, just a big loving grind.

I want to play the game in the ads.

that's exactly what I'm talking about. a whole bunch of games have extremely misleading Facebook ads that make them look like an entirely different, more fun game. I think the famous Mafia City meme might have been a case of this true but I'm not sure

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

tuyop posted:

The books are by amazon account.

That having been said, book selection and price does differ between countries. I have switched my amazon account to the UK several times to buy different books.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Bourgeoisie posted:

T-Mobile has the best tourist SIM deal from the major carriers, it's $40 for 10GB. You'll need to turn the ringer on your phone off though because it'll be a recycled number and you'll get around 10 spam calls per day and there's really not much you can do about it.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Why do I get so many spam phone calls but no spam texts?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Badger of Basra posted:

Why do I get so many spam phone calls but no spam texts?

It is a ton cheaper to place the spam calls with shady phone operators, then it is to send a text that will get through to a target phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Oh, huh. I have wondered that too.