Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
Most of those criminals are white so it's actually the worst kind of genocide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
I did like that bit in Timeline of What We Tried where an oil exec is kidnapped and has CITIZEN OF THE WORLD branded on his back.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Potato Salad posted:

Here I was thinking I was risking being accidentally or deliberately misinterpreted by a mod for mentioning genocide, even as an advocate against it because genocide is unacceptable

Then you go and just outright say that we actually need to accelerate Trot global political purging campaigns.

No worries, it's been thread consensus for a good while now that controlled murder, usually through beheading, is fine, as long as it's part of a revolution, leads to climate solutions or simply out of revenge.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Potato Salad posted:

I'm not asking you to find even a likely path forward that meets those terms of success. I'm asking for just a path, however unlikely but reasonably possible.

Before you post "hey, I was only saying that extinction is alarmist and unlikely, c'mon man," understand that even 2.5C represents horrific disaster and may as well be in the ballpark of unacceptability as extinction.
it would be nice to be able to engage this, but without a way more active mod presence, or even just some ground rules, there's no way to prevent people like KFU from doing what he did last page.

and not just on the genocide topic. you can basically map any of the top 5 things to an immediately 2 page derail.

aggressive wind & solar options -> everybody voices their inner grover about BASE LOAD
population control -> genocide
nuclear energy -> "cost", waste
ccs/beccs/dac -> fantasy/propaganda
urbanism/light-electric-transpo -> gentrification, 'american dream' indoctrination, pre-existing totally coincidental housing-crisis, garden variety old people complaining about young peoples scooters
rail -> sadbrains defeatism and cynicism
gmo crops and maybe even animal protein -> probably justified terror but we're that low on options
smartgrid/distributed-battery-caching -> pile on the tech bro shitpost time! eventually turning into a 2 page derail about elon musk.
automation & machine-learning -> immediate 2 page derail about elon musk
space telcos & universal highspeed internet -> utter nonsense about elysium and mars -> also an immediate 2 page derail about elon musk

fwiw, I think a combination of those things really will bend the curve somewhere between 2025 and 2030 and we will reach <5Gt/year somewhere around 2045 - 2055, and then some form of NET will drive us to 0 and then even negative 2 - 10 Gt/year after that as needed. we will probably bake 2.5 into the math and then pull it back and "only" wind up around 2C.

the question is how aggressive is the lag between emissions and consequences, exactly what and where do those consequences play out, what follow on repercussions there are, etc.

the true terror is thinking about the rough-patches during that process, not psychotically pingponging between "it'll be fine" and "we'll all burn in hell". litterally billions of people are going to survive a 2C scenario just fine.

StabbinHobo fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 27, 2019

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I'm stoked to no longer be the craziest motherfucker in this thread. :allears:

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

StabbinHobo posted:

the true terror is thinking about the rough-patches during that process, not psychotically pingponging between "it'll be fine" and "we'll all burn in hell". litterally billions of people are going to survive a 2C scenario just fine.

This will be the defining point of climate change. Billions of people are going to survive, yes, but hundreds of millions or maybe billions won't. Those that experienced extreme suffering and perished will have done so due to the excess and inaction of the western world.

When those people start to die, and when the world really starts taking notice, it will be at that point we decide if we are going to participate in the largest genocide ever known to mankind.

If people don't revolt and overturn the system that will inevitably lead us to that turning point, then the only option is to maintain the status quo of violence and genocide. The world will very quickly morph into a collection of fascist oppressors watching the rest of the world bleed to death.

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

It's amazing how often this thread brings up normalcy bias as an obstacle to climate change. But, for some reason, it's impossible to imagine a revolutionary moment happening in the near-future.

I guess things are just going to be super duper normal until the apocalypse. It'll just be democrats and republicans till death.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Bro, we're already participating in the largest genocide known to mankind. It's happening.

Where have the insects gone?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

How are u posted:

Bro, we're already participating in the largest genocide known to mankind. It's happening.

parliament.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Potato Salad posted:

I'm not asking you to find even a likely path forward that meets those terms of success. I'm asking for just a path, however unlikely but reasonably possible.

Before you post "hey, I was only saying that extinction is alarmist and unlikely, c'mon man," understand that even 2.5C represents horrific disaster and may as well be in the ballpark of unacceptability as extinction.

It's not possible for me to prove a negative, for example that civilization won't be destroyed. I don't know what what you mean by "in the ballpark of unacceptability as extinction," it sounds pretty subjective. Maybe if you laid out a specific argument like, global warming at 2.5 C will cause x additional deaths, cost x trillion dollars, etc? Then we could have a more meaningful conversation. Extinction is a pretty meaningful inflection point when we talk about impacts, so its hard for me to intuit what you think would be equivalent.

I couldn't find specific predictions for 2.5 C so instead I'm going talk about predictions at 2 C and conservatively double the severity of impacts. I'm just pulling numbers from this website, it has the relevant citations if you're curious..

At 2 C warming the global maize yield is predicted to decline by 9%. If we assume the effect is double that at 2.5 C then the decline is a whopping 18%. This is extra troubling, because with world population predicted only stabilize above 10 billion persons, we need to produce a lot more food. However, there is an important caveat. This prediction does not account for any improvement in yields from advances in agricultural science. As a result actual impacts on yields is guaranteed to be smaller than the predicted value. In fact climate related declines in production can be mitigated in many places without any new technology at all, we simply have to apply existing techniques. For example today Cuba produces about 2.5 tons of cassava per hectare, compared to 6.5 tons per hectare in the Dominican Republic. This difference is primarily down to land management, capital investment, and other policy minutia. So i for example climate change induces an 18% decrease in casava yields, we could mitigate that entire impact simply by applying existing practices. In fact we would even expect a net increase in yields.

In a world with 2 C temperature increase world GDP is predicted to be 13% lower than it would have been otherwise by 2100. So conservatively, let's assume at 2.5 C that it is 26% lower. Again however notice that this doesn't mean 26% lower than today. Instead we are assuming it will be 26% lower than it would have otherwise been, if growth had not been effected by climate change. The result is that in this scenario, the United States will still probably be wealthier in 2100 than it is today. I couldn't find growth predictions for 2100, however US per capita GDP is expected to be 34% higher by 2050 than it is today. As a result, the typical American is still likely to be wealthier than they are today by 2100 in this scenario.

Let's say impacts are much worse. Let's say the world falls back to a nineteen fifties standard of living. In this scenario many millions of people will die of preventable causes. It wouldn't be the end of the world however. Even in times of war and famine life goes on. People find reason to live. Being poor doesn't mean your life lacks meaning. It wouldn't be the end of the world. People would be hungrier and less healthy, but they would still find reason to keep going.

Of course most people who believe in a vague and illdefined climate apocalypse will assert that in the end, it will be man who destroys himself. So taking the most destructive possible ending, what would be the impact of global thermonuclear war? For this I found a few studies discussing this risk linked from wikipedia, I've read a couple of them before and I remember them being good so I'm going to just discuss them based on that summary.

In the event of a full scale nuclear war with eighties level stockpiles between the USA and Soviets a study found that up to 70% of the US population could die and 40% of the Soviet population. Let's average that and say nuclear war will directly kill 55% of the population in participating countries. A later study estimated that nuclear winter related climate disruptions following a war between India and Pakistan could put 2 billion people, or 1/3 of the world population in 2013 "at risk" of starvation by disrupting food production and supply chains. I noticed some weaknesses in this study, for example I think a lot of that at risk population would actually be people in Pakistan and India who would probably die immediately when the bombs fall. Also this estimate is highly uncertain since we have very bad estimates of how much particulate matter would be released into the upper atmosphere in a nuclear war. Still let's just assume the worst for the sake of argument, and say that half of those at risk or 1/6 of the world population will die of nuclear famine.

So let's assume USA, Russia, Bangladesh, and China all decide to have a nuclear gangbang, how many people will die? All those together add up to 43% of world population. So half of them dying is 21%+ 17% from nuclear famine = 38% of world population dead within a few years. Hey at least in this scenario we won't have to worry about lack of glacial melt for irrigation on the Ganges plain right? It's pretty bad but not anywhere on the level of human extinction.

Is nuclear war likely due to climate change? Not really. It's about the worst possible event we could imagine happening, and I really can't imagine how climate change is supposed to induce anything worse.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

How are u posted:

Yeah I shake people by the shoulders and ask "haven't you noticed there are way the gently caress fewer insects than, oh I don't know, last year?"

They haven't noticed.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

mdemone posted:

Yeah I shake people by the shoulders and ask "haven't you noticed there are way the gently caress fewer insects than, oh I don't know, last year?"

They haven't noticed.

Well also because individual observations like that are meaningless.

I have seen more insects this year than last year. That doesn’t mean squat about climate change.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Trabisnikof posted:

Well also because individual observations like that are meaningless.

I have seen more insects this year than last year. That doesn’t mean squat about climate change.

I was being a bit glib there -- the real baseline I'm working from is a few decades, and the rapid change has only been noticeable the past few years. I'm glad to be shown that it's a selection effect or confirmation bias, but I've lived in several biomes and I travel a lot around North America...i don't know.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
I got my wildflower garden going good but I’ll die before I let the domers get their hands on it

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

you know what, I'm already surprised we haven't all been probed already

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jul 28, 2019

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I wish all the insects would die already. I mean if it's already too late to do anything I could spend the last decade or whatever of the peak of industrialized society not dealing with mosquitoes and fruit flys.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Rectal Death Adept posted:

I wish all the insects would die already. I mean if it's already too late to do anything I could spend the last decade or whatever of the peak of industrialized society not dealing with mosquitoes and fruit flys.

Good thing we have no reason to believe it is too late

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
v much looking forward to squalid's inevitable breakdown and joining the lmao crowd.

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

Goons Are Great posted:

No worries, it's been thread consensus for a good while now that controlled murder, usually through beheading, is fine, as long as it's part of a revolution, leads to climate solutions or simply out of revenge.

And let's face it, with this amount of bitter, it's usually the latter.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I admit it's a miniscule sample size, but back in 2016 I drove a friend from BWI to Cumberland, MD for her to stay with her folks for three weeks. It's about a two and a half hour drive through rural valleys and over foothills. At the end of just that drive, the front of my car and windshield were loving *festooned* with insect guts. I didn't bother washing it because I had another 2.5h drive back to Northern Virginia and I figured it'd just get hosed up all over again on the evening drive back.

A month ago I visited her again in Cumberland for lunch. Going there and driving back...I had only *three* dead bugs on the entirety of my front fascia *and* windshield.

I'm driving from DC to Ottawa to Toronto and back to DC in mid-August. It'll be interesting to see how pristine my car will look after all of that.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jul 28, 2019

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Potato Salad posted:

you know what, I'm already surprised we haven't all been probed already

Could you explain to me why a 9% decrease (before accounting for advances in production) in agricultural yields is in the same ballpark of negative consequences as total human extinction within our lifetimes? Presumably you mean this in a philosophical sense or. . ? Kinda hard to get a read on the argument you were making

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Yeah they used to completely cover the front of your car driving in the mountains around here. Maybe 2008ish? Nowadays you just don't hit any. At all. My wife actually brought that up a few days ago.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

Same mayflies used to a scourge to anyone driving here but now???? I don’t think I’ve seen more than a handful in some time

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

How are u posted:

v much looking forward to squalid's inevitable breakdown and joining the lmao crowd.

Yeah, really. Usually the people in denial are pointing to a specific data point or technology they think will let them not have to feel unsafe/insecure/bad about the future. This "Well you can't say with 100% certainty what is going to happen therefore anything could happen" stuff is actually a bigger waste of time than the nihilists and comedians because at least they are being honest with themselves about what is going on instead of trying to misrepresent things to be more palatable for them.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
please don't lump me in with him, i only said billions of people will survive i'm not dumb enough to think that gdp per capita projections out that far are anything but ideology

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Squalid posted:

Could you explain to me why a 9% decrease (before accounting for advances in production) in agricultural yields is in the same ballpark of negative consequences as total human extinction within our lifetimes? Presumably you mean this in a philosophical sense or. . ? Kinda hard to get a read on the argument you were making

So many people are going to loving die that it is unacceptable, it is disgusting to really consider the terrible things humanity as a whole have done. As this is currently unavoidable we are "doomed".

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Yeah, really. Usually the people in denial are pointing to a specific data point or technology they think will let them not have to feel unsafe/insecure/bad about the future. This "Well you can't say with 100% certainty what is going to happen therefore anything could happen" stuff is actually a bigger waste of time than the nihilists and comedians because at least they are being honest with themselves about what is going on instead of trying to misrepresent things to be more palatable for them.

What do you think I am denying

Why is being specific so hard with you guys. Just say what you think is going to happen, then we can make arguments about it. We can present evidence for or against.

We don't live in a world where anything can happen. Which is why we shouldn't tolerate unsupported and unsupportable assertions about human extinction. Those predictions are so far outside the bounds of plausibility that they can more or less be disregarded.

StabbinHobo posted:

please don't lump me in with him, i only said billions of people will survive i'm not dumb enough to think that gdp per capita projections out that far are anything but ideology

you know that poo poo goes into the climate models too right. How do you think they make projections about future CO2 emissions.

Shifty Nipples posted:

So many people are going to loving die that it is unacceptable, it is disgusting to really consider the terrible things humanity as a whole have done. As this is currently unavoidable we are "doomed".

That's fair. Just keep in mind that this is a subjective way to look at things. Sometimes we have to consider worsts cases, but other times its ok to be optimistic and take a positive point of view. Whatever gets you out of bed in the morning.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

"if only hitler killed but 8.9% of the jews entering his camps, then it would have been acceptable"

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Potato Salad posted:

"if only hitler killed but 8.9% of the jews entering his camps, then it would have been acceptable"

:raise: what exactly do you think I'm arguing? Do you really think I just argued that nuclear war is acceptable because it is unlikely to kill more than 40% of humanity?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Yes, actually, you're dancing on that line.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Potato Salad posted:

Yes, actually, you're dancing on that line.

you know, maybe I'm prone to being overly literal. While I've not said anything itt which is controversial, or which contradicts general scientific consensus, the issue is I haven't been speaking in the same symbolic language as a lot of other people. As Shifty Nipples said, when he says humanity is doomed, he doesn't necessarily literally mean doomed to an apocalypse. It's meant to be nonspecific, and "doomed" in this context could really mean per capita GDP being 30% smaller than it would have been without climate change, or the proportion of global population that is food insecure being 50% larger. These posters aren't talking in terms of real population or economic forecasting, they aren't trying to predict war or famine. They are just trying to emphasize the seriousness of the crisis facing us. And that is reasonable.

However, while some of these people are reasonable, others use being doomed as an excuse to do nothing. Others worse still, use it to fuel their misanthropy. Humanity deserves it they say. Why are we trying to feed the world's poor, when they're just going to add to emissions, they say. That's not the kind of thinking anyone should tolerate. So looking at people wallowing, i've asked them to ground themselves in reality. Wallowing in the misery can take people to dark places and bad conclusions. If these takes are subjective, we can reframe them in a light that's positive, and actually encourages positive action.

The vast majority of evidence suggests that humanity will still exist in 2100. There might be some small probability that it won't, and a slightly larger probability that it won't exist by the end of the next century. Nevertheless, its necessary to plan for what we're gong to do if we are still here. What are we going to do if there is a future. If we sometimes have to emphasize the worst case scenarios, we also have to acknowledge the best case.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

That sounds like a bunch of domehead talk

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Squalid posted:

you know, maybe I'm prone to being overly literal.

Squalid posted:

Civilization is the emergent quality of any large scale human social interaction.

You think?

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
One big dome to cover the whole world or we're doooooomed I say

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Ironically as long as civilization exists we are doomed to eventually either go extinct or become a species that subsists purely on nutritional paste because this heat engine has proven that it won't tolerate non-human competition for resources

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Squalid posted:

you know that poo poo goes into the climate models too right. How do you think they make projections about future CO2 emissions.
you have it backwards, "they" make projections about co2 and then from those try and hazard a guess at gdp. like so:
if a certain emissions level -> then a given level of environmental difficulty -> then a guess as to economic impact

the second part we're utterly terrible at (see thread), to think we could then pin something down and get the third right is just, like i said, ideology. the neoliberal economic conceit that we have mastered the universe with spreadsheets.

most of their report summaries and infographics don't even mention gdp/econometrics: https://www.ipcc.ch/sr15/graphics/#cid_603

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Potato Salad posted:

Burden rests on those claiming there is room for hope.

You should do stuff anyway regardless. Hope is stupid Disney bullshit.

No peasants had hope they'd actually win when they revolted against nobility. They were just not willing to lay down and die quietly. The October Revolution didn't happen because of an outburst of hope.

What will be will be but if you've convinced yourself that the proper action is to do nothing then you're loving up. That's the same result that the climate deniers reach.

Fear, hope, these are just emotions based on an uncertain future. Action is what is required and ideas that say 'nah do nothing actually' are bad whatever their justification, whether out of denial or despair or whatever else.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 28, 2019

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

StabbinHobo posted:

you have it backwards, "they" make projections about co2 and then from those try and hazard a guess at gdp. like so:
if a certain emissions level -> then a given level of environmental difficulty -> then a guess as to economic impact

the second part we're utterly terrible at (see thread), to think we could then pin something down and get the third right is just, like i said, ideology. the neoliberal economic conceit that we have mastered the universe with spreadsheets.

most of their report summaries and infographics don't even mention gdp/econometrics: https://www.ipcc.ch/sr15/graphics/#cid_603

I don't think this is true. For example you can read about some of the assumptions made about economic growth by climate models in this paper. Which I found referenced in one of the IPCC reports. Of course it does note that model differences in growth assumptions don't appear very powerful, but clearly it comes into play.

Anyway, its obvious that there's a lot of uncertainty involved in economic forecasting, which is why there aren't a lot of serious predictions past 2050, but that doesn't make it impossible. This also has nothing to do with neoliberalism. Do you think central planners never made economic forecasts? In a few minutes looking I couldn't find any sources evaluating the accuracy of long-term economic predictions, but I'd bet they're a good deal more accurate than short term predictions, for the same reason climate predictions can be more accurate than weather predictions.

SplitSoul posted:

You think?

I admit that was a bit excessive but there's a method to my madness. I'm trying to force people to be specific when they start crying that we're all doomed and nothing matters, and asking them to explain exactly what they think is going to happen. Civilization in this context is almost a weasel word, it can mean anything and everything. However someone crying that global warming will mean the end end of human civilization probably isn't just talking about art museums, but good luck pinning them down on that. My hope is by talking about specific issues and their actual predicted impacts, we can break the problem into smaller more manageable pieces that don't send people spiraling into despair.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Squalid posted:

I admit that was a bit excessive but there's a method to my madness. I'm trying to force people to be specific when they start crying that we're all doomed and nothing matters, and asking them to explain exactly what they think is going to happen. Civilization in this context is almost a weasel word, it can mean anything and everything. However someone crying that global warming will mean the end end of human civilization probably isn't just talking about art museums, but good luck pinning them down on that. My hope is by talking about specific issues and their actual predicted impacts, we can break the problem into smaller more manageable pieces that don't send people spiraling into despair.

I don't necessarily agree with all the below but this is the prevailing CSPAM opinion more or less:

vyelkin posted:

Over time everything gets steadily more expensive and you start not being able to always buy whatever you want, either because it's now out of your price range or because there are actual shortages of things like coffee. Weather gets more severe and less predictable. People you know have their homes and livelihoods destroyed by extreme weather events and have to decide whether to rebuild or start over somewhere new with nothing. If you're unfortunate enough to live somewhere like the desert (lol Phoenix, Arizona) then it will become actually unaffordable to live there at all because you'll spend more on air conditioning than you make in income. Every summer you hear about hundreds of elderly people whose air conditioning broke and they died of heatstroke in their own home. Diseases that haven't been seen in your country for decades or centuries start to reappear, like malaria. Diseases that have never appeared in your country before, like Zika or Dengue, also start to appear. Mosquitoes seem to be the one insect that isn't dying out.

Insurance stops covering a lot of climate change-related damage, so as extreme weather events hit other parts of your country and people aren't able to rebuild where they lived, places like southern Florida get abandoned, not from some government plan, but from millions of people individually deciding to pack up and leave one day. The place where you live gets more crowded as internal migrants relocate only to find that life isn't any easier when they show up out of the blue with no job, no money, and no assets to sell. Your wages get cut at work because there are suddenly ten highly trained unemployed professionals who used to do your job in Miami, any of whom would gladly replace you. Your rent goes up even faster than usual because of all the population growth in your city.

The news is full of stories of weather destroying other parts of the world like Mozambique and Puerto Rico, and conflicts breaking out in areas hit by drought, famine, and disease. It's also full of stories about migrants trying to come to the developed world. It never mentions that the two things are connected, and never explores the fact that the migrants are moving because they can no longer live in their homes because their fields dried up, it didn't rain for ten years, and the desert swallowed their town. You notice the people around you getting more and more anxious about migration as their own incomes are getting stretched thinner and thinner and there are only ever more and more migrants. Electorates vote in more and more extreme right-wing figures who ban all immigration, militarize the borders, and implement ever-more draconian surveillance and monitoring of people inside the country as well. You're repeatedly told that if you're a natural-born citizen and not breaking any laws, you have nothing to fear.

Global supply chains start to break down as some regions of the world get less and less livable and some resources get either more difficult to extract and process, or get wiped out by climate change themselves, making prices rise even more and shortages hit even harder. As places start to see economic decline, people get restless and there are instances of mass unrest. On the news you see stories about mass demonstrations and massacres in random other places around the world. But here people are too busy working five gig economy jobs just to afford bread, they're too busy to protest. Governments get overthrown, countries descend into civil war, millions die in armed conflict, famine, and ensuing disease outbreaks. This further exacerbates the millions of people already trying to migrate to the less-affected developed world, but by this point our borders are so hardened that most of them die before they make it here. Deaths of hundreds or thousands of people trying to cross our borders across oceans and through deserts stop even making the news because they're so routine and we're too concerned with our own daily survival to worry about people we don't know.

What you do see on the news are feel-good stories about how a billionaire CEO now flies around in a solar-powered plane and he planted trees on his green roof. Meanwhile our cities are more choked with smog than ever, and the numbers keep getting higher. Fewer people are smoking than ever before, but lung cancer rates seem to be higher than ever. You get a particularly bad cough and you'd like to see a doctor about it, but they cut your benefits at work so you just hope it goes away on its own. The UN releases a report saying that we have three years to act if we want to avoid 8 degrees of warming, but by this point we've read so many reports saying we've already passed the tipping point that no one cares.

All our topsoil is vanishing and by this point even some people with jobs literally can't afford food. But the state is militarized enough that no one really thinks about protest except for the occasional spontaneous riot that doesn't accomplish anything long-term. Facial recognition software and ubiquitous surveillance and tracking means protesting is a one-way ticket to prison, if you aren't literally killed or maimed by the police breaking up the protest. And anyway, even attending a legal protest harms your social credit score and means you won't be able to get a loan the next time food prices spike and you can't afford enough to get through the week. Drug abuse, overdoses, and suicide are all rampant as people lose hope and decide to numb themselves or end it quickly rather than die slow, painful deaths. There are people literally starving to death in the streets and every summer you're pretty sure some of the homeless people lying on the sidewalk have died of heatstroke. Half the food you used to see in supermarkets is just plain gone, wiped out by disease or unable to grow where it used to or the supply chains that used to ship it in from halfway around the world have collapsed completely. The other half of the food is so expensive that you can only afford to buy the barest essentials. The wars on TV get worse as countries invade each other to get at the farmland that remains. Despite the police everywhere, law and order seems to be breaking down in your city, there are enormous waves of robberies, burglaries, home invasions, murders, as desperate people do whatever it takes to get through another day. The rich are comfortably secure in gated communities protected by private mercenaries with tanks and machine guns, who regularly use lethal force to defend their employers' property.

Eventually you die. If you're lucky it's in some extreme weather event and it's over quickly. If you're unlucky you starve to death because you lost your job and bread is too expensive. I hope you don't have kids because they still have a few more decades in this miserable hellhole, while civilization continues to collapse around them. They probably eventually die deaths even less pleasant than yours.

Some humans will survive, even in 15 degrees of warming. Our civilization won't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Sadly I think the wasps will hang in there with us, since they enjoy our picnics as much as we do.