Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm 5 episides in on Swamp-Thing and have been enjoying it. It's no Doom Patrol but it's a shame it got canned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/_JohnME_/status/1154670116157763584

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I lost it when Alan Alda popped up.

What's the "Iron Man" from?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I kind of like Paul Lynde as Loki

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

That took me an embarrassingly long time to realize it wasn't real, but in my defense I'm old enough to have seen some actual things from that era and the use of actual Hulk Thor and Cap threw me off.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
about halfway through the boys, i appreciate that it makes hughies trauma more of a thing than i remember it being in the comics

also, that plane scene

e: i really like the guy who plays frenchie

site fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jul 27, 2019

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"
You have to keep in mind that The Boys comic is commenting on rich celebrities more so than superhero tropes. It's seeing behind the PR mask.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

I watched a whole bunch of Incredible Hulk reruns on the Sci-Fi Channel, and honestly I'd have watched the poo poo out of this too. Even with KISS and Alan Alda.

Especially with KISS and Alan Alda.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Retro Futurist posted:

I kind of like Paul Lynde as Loki

He would have been perfect.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Man, The Boys episode 4 that plane scene was DARK. I actually felt a bit unsettled. .

This is the way to adapt Ennis, take the plot points but don't go over the top.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

how the gently caress does Happy! get the stick while meandering tryhard bollocks like Preacher is going into its 4th season

everyone is so good in this show

e: The only thing so far (ep4) is that Happy himself has become the least interesting and least involved character. But at least he provides some sight gags.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Medullah posted:

This is the way to adapt Ennis, take the plot points but don't go over the top.

I was just thinking that. Despite some worries when Rogen was going on about it, it really does seem to have kept the themes without the typical Ennis cartoonish attempts to shock.

Some great performances too from Mother's Milk, Homelander and Starlight's actor, to say nothing of Karl Urban.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Jack Quaid also makes a great Hughie

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Finished the boys last night and i gotta say, i enjoyed it quite a bit more than i expected to. Once you take out the vast majority of ennis' bullshit it actually becomes pretty good

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Marc Bernadin said on Kevin Smith's podcast that he's heard that the major plot conceit of Falcon and WS is the government not wanting Sam to be Cap, which sounds like a great hook. I'm sure when Ross found out he went nuts.

I wonder if they'll get meta with it and try to directly parallel fan reaction to casting white or male characters with not-that actors.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

zoux posted:

Marc Bernadin said on Kevin Smith's podcast that he's heard that the major plot conceit of Falcon and WS is the government not wanting Sam to be Cap, which sounds like a great hook. I'm sure when Ross found out he went nuts.

I wonder if they'll get meta with it and try to directly parallel fan reaction to casting white or male characters with not-that actors.

I always figured the shield usage and throwing ability was because it didn't follow the laws of physics or whatever but also because of the super soldier strength and agility. Falcon has that cool wing suit, sure, but I wonder how he'll use the shield.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I seem to remember in the comics Hawkeye or somebody trying to use it once and was unable to. Sam also had issue with it at first.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

X-O posted:

I seem to remember in the comics Hawkeye or somebody trying to use it once and was unable to. Sam also had issue with it at first.

Hawkeye was able to use it right but was about the only one who could, if I remember right. I think he was one of the favored replacements when Steve was gone but he didn't feel like he could measure up.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bucky just used the thinking man's shield: a gun.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Vibrainium is magic, is the easy answer. A wizard threw it

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
It makes sense that Hawkeye can kind of use it, since projectiles are his thing, but I also assumed Steve's spacial awareness and agility were also amplified which is why he could bounce it off walls like he was Ronnie O'Sullivan playing out of a safety. Super-geometry if you will.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
They should let Cyclops try to throw the shield then, since he's also a geometry wizard

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lol Scott Summers Captain America would be such a disaster.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Captain X shooting shields from his eyes.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Open Marriage Night posted:

Captain X shooting shields from his eyes.

That's a common misconception, his eyes are merely portals to the Shield dimension.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

good day for a bris posted:

That's a common misconception, his eyes are merely portals to the Shield dimension.

:golfclap:

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Isn't the answer for training a new Captain America just 'throw some money at Taskmaster, let him deal with it'?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

LadyPictureShow posted:

Isn't the answer for training a new Captain America just 'throw some money at Taskmaster, let him deal with it'?

It worked for John Walker.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

LadyPictureShow posted:

I think he'd just train him wrong just so he doesn't have the hassle further down the road.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
[somewhere off in the formless void, Elijah Bradley sighs]

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

David D. Davidson posted:

I think he'd just train him wrong just so he doesn't have the hassle further down the road.

Taskmaster is, and shall always be, a consummate professional. Plus I imagine training a new Captain America is probably a nice bulletpoint on a resume.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

As professional as he is, hiring Taskmaster to train your new Captain America is just begging for a Jade Empire twist

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Rhyno posted:

It worked for John Walker.

I could swear Taskmaster also trained a team of Caps or Buckys, but I might be thinking of a What-If.

Any idea?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

LadyPictureShow posted:

I could swear Taskmaster also trained a team of Caps or Buckys, but I might be thinking of a What-If.

Any idea?

There's a what if where Punisher becomes Cap (and stops Punisher-ing) and then trains a successor who then proceeds to be the first in a whole Captain America Corps. Probably not what you're thinking of but it's one I liked.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

LadyPictureShow posted:

Any idea?

I think you might be getting confused with the one where Red Skull switches places with Captain America in WW2 and becomes the fascist ruler of the US, letting white racists get the super soldier serum exclusively, and his captain america troops are led by crossbones.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Nope, I found it!

From What If Steve Rogers had refused to give up being Captain America? Featuring: Freedom Force

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Taskmaster is a mutant? Huh, I don't think I've ever seen him in an X book.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

he isn't, i think Jim Valentino just hosed up and assumed he was.

his true backstory is that he was a normal human born with a photographic reflexes, and later volunteered for a Hydra version of the Super Soldier Serum that gave him the ability to instantly memorize motor skills at the cost of his actual memory.

Alaois fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jul 30, 2019

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Skwirl posted:

I lost it when Alan Alda popped up.

What's the "Iron Man" from?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exo-Man

70's TV movie.. long story short: professor develops some kinda fiber that moves or something when electric current passes through it, gets paralyzed, builds cheap plastic armor that gives him limited super strength, bulletproof, uses it to beat up Jose Ferrer or something. It also tends to run out of power at inopportune moments, just like Iron Man's. Can't fly or shoot repulsors, looks like it was made with a bucket and rubberized long johns.

It's intensely painful to watch, but if you want late 70's melodrama mixed with lovely sci-fi, here ya go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7cDY_CsezM

Marvel would sue the gently caress out of anyone trying to make something like this now; back in 1977, no one gave a poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Putting a B on their foreheads is clever though.