Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010

Coolguye posted:

tynan declined to do pregnancy officially pretty much entirely because the infancy, childhood, education affair was so complicated to do in a way that felt even remotely good, and to boot most games didn’t last long enough to see even half of it.

every reproduction mod on the workshop that I’ve seen has proven him right on that particular decision.

Yeah, I just finished a particularly long (for me) run and was still done in 8 years. I know some people run a colony in perpetuity, but I kinda like having an end goal. Plus the mid-game is probably the most interesting I think. I'm not sure my last base would have ever fallen despite me hamstringing myself with a load of self made rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Coolguye posted:

tynan declined to do pregnancy officially pretty much entirely because the infancy, childhood, education affair was so complicated to do in a way that felt even remotely good, and to boot most games didn’t last long enough to see even half of it.

every reproduction mod on the workshop that I’ve seen has proven him right on that particular decision.

Nobody wants to think about the actual life of a real child in a friendly rustic agricultural settlement, much less hyper-optimized dystopia fortress settlements that most folks at least dip their toes into, while they're trying to chill with a videogame.

It's terrifying enough having to look after children in the real world, and my hometown doesn't even have to WORRY about murder bots or toxic fallout.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I don't think it's some kind of moral or micromanagement issue at all - Rimworld being a horrifying warcrime dystopia is kind of part and parcel of the game's image at this point, and I don't see taking care of kids being that much more micro intensive than most colony management stuff.

I think it's definitely more along the lines of timescale as said above. Only the absolutely longest lived colonies would see a child hit their teens, nevermind having some kind of generational play that would make a parent/child system really worth it.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jul 29, 2019

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
Yeah it was bad enough when the colony's cat got headshot in a crossfire yesterday, let alone someone's kid.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Coolguye posted:

I removed that one mod and started a new game since the mod set without it is pretty nice. But yeah, multi year games are uncommon enough, multi decade isn't going to happen. That's probably why the mod just spits out 14 year olds.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I wouldn't mind pregnancy and children as a challenge element. Like, oh my best fighter is now pregnant and is going to have to care for a kid and if the kid dies she will lose her poo poo.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
I like the children & pregnancy element though I set their age to like 11 starting. It is a good source of characters you want to put to work but also have some stakes with.

That said, something in my mod list stopped colonists from caring about anything. I think it might be "sell prisoners without guilt" mod? I have to redo my mod list after getting a new laptop, hopefully I can figure it out.

I want people to give a poo poo if other colonists die. It's loving me up when a parent dies and the kids are like "no big, this paste is bullshit tho"

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I mean, it's Rimworld, so there's a high chance that the parents were lovely assholes and / or the kid's a psychopath.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

I wouldn't mind pregnancy and children as a challenge element. Like, oh my best fighter is now pregnant and is going to have to care for a kid and if the kid dies she will lose her poo poo.

Yeah, that's how I see it. I have them start at 0 and when I get a few kids I make a nursery/school room and start devoting some pawns to teaching kids. I enjoy the added bit of realism and I like the idea of creating a future, even if I almost never see them make their own kids.

One of the mods actually had the kids getting far more involved at like, 8, and even had them spawn in with caravans and raids. I found it hilarious with the 7 year old, high social, pirate caravan vendor selling slaves (well, hilarious for Rimworld) wearing quality devilstrand gear, and when pirate raids included 9-12 year olds carrying crappy automatic weapons I felt it was an accurate (if still gut wrenching) portrayal of awful morals. Sometimes prisoner rescues would be kids, sometimes visitors would bring a load of kids. For some reason, that all really made the game feel alive to me.

That mod kinda fell behind in getting updated though, so the one I use now just has kids related to your colony only. It's not the same.

Current game had a pregnant pawn fall to a massive mechaniod raid - 30 each of lancer, scyther, and about a dozen each of skullywags and crawlers (More mechanoids mod). I think I lost almost a dozen in total arms and legs and shoved one stomach-less colonist into a cryptosleep until I could make a prosthesis. At the same time though, I had an item quest for 2 resurrection serums in my quest log but was waiting for spring (and would probably not get there in time), so I sent some colonists off to get them while I shoved the dead pregnant colonist into the freezer (and told the huskies NOT to eat her! bad dogs!). The item stash wound up with no enemies, so they came back and resurrected the mother.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

You could ~kinda~ fudge things if you take the concession that time is compressed for game-play sake in Rimworld.

Each year in a 365 day calendar is about six years in Rimworld's 60 day calendar. Ergo, pick your age of majority (say, 18), divide it by six, and you get roughly three Rimworld years for a human child to reach adulthood. Ok.

A bit more fudging, we can divvy this time up into three life stages: baby/toddler, child, teenager. First stage is worthless, it consumes food for a year and does nothing. Second, they can learn from a mentor and clean. Third they can do most everything except say "high skill" labor. Once they pass out of those stages, they become an adult and have their age set to the age of majority.

This gives you a three year turnaround time from birth to adulthood. If you think the baby/toddler stage sucks and has no purpose, roll it into the pregnancy stage: the mother consumes twice the normal amount of food and is severely weakened until the hediff ticks over.

This would require some work to get it to properly shuffle around the pawns, and is probably more trouble than it is worth.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Any of you run the starwars mod with CE? Wondering how balanced force users are in it.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

GenericOverusedName posted:

I mean, it's Rimworld, so there's a high chance that the parents were lovely assholes and / or the kid's a psychopath.

Sometimes they aren't!

But anyhow you get better stories when people care about the tragedies so I've gotta figure it out.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

HelloSailorSign posted:

One of the mods actually had the kids getting far more involved at like, 8, and even had them spawn in with caravans and raids. I found it hilarious with the 7 year old, high social, pirate caravan vendor selling slaves (well, hilarious for Rimworld) wearing quality devilstrand gear, and when pirate raids included 9-12 year olds carrying crappy automatic weapons I felt it was an accurate (if still gut wrenching) portrayal of awful morals. Sometimes prisoner rescues would be kids, sometimes visitors would bring a load of kids. For some reason, that all really made the game feel alive to me.

What mod is this? It sounds great, in a hosed up hellworld way

HelloSailorSign posted:

Current game had a pregnant pawn fall to a massive mechaniod raid - 30 each of lancer, scyther, and about a dozen each of skullywags and crawlers (More mechanoids mod). I think I lost almost a dozen in total arms and legs and shoved one stomach-less colonist into a cryptosleep until I could make a prosthesis. At the same time though, I had an item quest for 2 resurrection serums in my quest log but was waiting for spring (and would probably not get there in time), so I sent some colonists off to get them while I shoved the dead pregnant colonist into the freezer (and told the huskies NOT to eat her! bad dogs!). The item stash wound up with no enemies, so they came back and resurrected the mother.

Did she come back still pregnant?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I thought those things erased any Hediffs on the pawn, but maybe not? OP please answer, we must know.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

In the former, it was this mod: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=28747.0

In the latter, yes! When she pops the kid out I assume it's going to be totally fine, but for the sake of the story the kid's getting luciferium and every other season I'm going to devmode increase age by 1 until they're considered an adult by the game.

These days, this is the kid mod I use: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1541438230

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Is there any trick to finding a good mountain base location? One with more than 1/3 of the map or so as a mountain. I've never done a mountain bunker base and want to try one, and I'm trying to pick starting hexes that are mountainous and completely surrounded by other mountainous / impassable terrain tiles but i keep getting the one sided wall type maps.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

metasynthetic posted:

Is there any trick to finding a good mountain base location? One with more than 1/3 of the map or so as a mountain. I've never done a mountain bunker base and want to try one, and I'm trying to pick starting hexes that are mountainous and completely surrounded by other mountainous / impassable terrain tiles but i keep getting the one sided wall type maps.

Keep trying or look for pockets, i also find that increasing map size helps. I have honestly never had a problem with raiders starving or whatever due to increased size

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

metasynthetic posted:

There's no trick since all hexes are randomly rolled when you start it, but you can very quickly roll a ton of maps of the hex you selected with Map Reroll. Just disable the resource cost in mod options and pretend you rerolled the map like 50 times to find exactly the one you wanted. You'll probably find four or five decent candidates to choose from in just a few pages of previews of mapgen.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Thanks, I rolled a 300x300 and did exactly that with Map Reroll. I'm starting to think that 2 / 3 sided enclosures don't really exist and are just a revealed areas phenomenon. I rolled up a nice map with a long but narrow valley in the center, with open areas on either side but limited chokepoints.

Usually I play as tribals with minimal research, this go round I have a more curated mod list removing / substituting some of the less well balanced stuff and I just want to dig a bunker into the mountain, do Rimefeller / Rimatomics for the first time and get my 2006 Dwarf Fortress / SCP fanfic on.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

metasynthetic posted:

Thanks, I rolled a 300x300 and did exactly that with Map Reroll. I'm starting to think that 2 / 3 sided enclosures don't really exist and are just a revealed areas phenomenon. I rolled up a nice map with a long but narrow valley in the center, with open areas on either side but limited chokepoints.

Usually I play as tribals with minimal research, this go round I have a more curated mod list removing / substituting some of the less well balanced stuff and I just want to dig a bunker into the mountain, do Rimefeller / Rimatomics for the first time and get my 2006 Dwarf Fortress / SCP fanfic on.
Try picking out a coastal mountain hex, that lets you take one side basically as a freebie and then you only need to roll a protrusion in the middle to get yourself most of a good enclosure.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Fond DF memories of new mothers carrying their babies into combat and all the hilarity which resulted.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

metasynthetic posted:

There's a mod that I can't quite think of the name of that lets you customize generated terrain - I have mine tweaked so mountainous tiles are ever so slightly more mountainous, leading to more.dense concentrations of stone. You can also tweak things like what percentage of the map is ocean on coastal tiles, ore density, etc.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Epsilon Plus posted:

There's a mod that I can't quite think of the name of that lets you customize generated terrain - I have mine tweaked so mountainous tiles are ever so slightly more mountainous, leading to more.dense concentrations of stone. You can also tweak things like what percentage of the map is ocean on coastal tiles, ore density, etc.

Configurable Maps, I think.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

HelloSailorSign posted:

Configurable Maps, I think.

This is the one, but they seem to have removed being able to make the map mostly ocean :smith: I usually play mountain maps with the mountain level as high as possible since I like burrowing

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:

Danaru posted:

This is the one, but they seem to have removed being able to make the map mostly ocean :smith: I usually play mountain maps with the mountain level as high as possible since I like burrowing

I've been thinking about doing this as my next colony, at the highest setting how much of the map is mountain if you start on a mountainous hex and jack the mountain level to max?

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

If you just want MAXIMUM MOUNTAIN go grab Impassable Map Maker and go nuts.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

pokchu posted:

I've been thinking about doing this as my next colony, at the highest setting how much of the map is mountain if you start on a mountainous hex and jack the mountain level to max?

I did this before and you can get it to like 75% mountain with some rerolling, though the result of that was that I had to mine my way through a couple valleys to get to where I actually intended to build my base. It also broke the poo poo out of NPC pathing for some reason, so I'd have caravans show up and hang around after officially announcing that they're leaving (until they collapse from starvation).

Lately I've just been running max mountainous flat maps (which is like only 25% mountain), rerolling for a map arrangement where I can connect three or four mountains and lakes to create my own 'valley'. Leave one side open and raiders will always funnel there with the exception of sappers and drop pods so it's easy enough kill box construction. The best part of settling on flat map tiles is that caravans can go super fast, I can hit two or three towns easily in the time it'd take to crawl out of a mountain range.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
Using map reroll on a huge river + mountain map can give you some crazy defendable locations. Creative use of walls across the river can make non-drop pod raids into Normandy levels of carnage.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Hey FYI, there is a little game in Steam early access called Embark, and it has a lot of things in common with the low-tech side of Rimworld, except it's 3d sorta Minecraft like:

http://embarkgame.com/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1055090/Embark/
http://embarkgame.com/Home/Roadmap

it's pretty solid for early access and the developer is really regular with updates, I bought it and I like it a lot. FYI!!!!!!!

e: Nookrium does a lot of gameplay videos of games like this and did several on Embark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-L-1JQBHdg&t

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 31, 2019

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I usually disable infestations even in Dwarf Fortress looking maps. It's just an incredibly annoying event, gently caress infestations.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
New game on Randy Rough about a month in, got my 2nd raid - one Feral with a nail gun. I already had a mini bunker set up and made a clearing with zero cover about 20 tiles out in all directions so I wasn't too concerned.

Then a goddamn bee hive spawns in the EXACT worst location about 3 tiles in front of my bunker in the direction of the raider, blocking LOS. He takes the perfect path in, none of my guys even fire a shot, then he tucks around the corner at the last second and unloaded a nailgun clip into my doctor at point blank range :argh:

edit: this poo poo right here, he came from the southeast. gently caress you Randy

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Aug 1, 2019

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Coming back to rimworld after playing mostly vanilla my last two or three gos of the game.

Are there any guides on how to make a bunch of mods stable and work together? General load order and such? I'm really familiar with morrowind/elder scrolls modding, so I realize I can't just Chuck 200 mods together and expect them to work.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Gyshall posted:

Coming back to rimworld after playing mostly vanilla my last two or three gos of the game.

Are there any guides on how to make a bunch of mods stable and work together? General load order and such? I'm really familiar with morrowind/elder scrolls modding, so I realize I can't just Chuck 200 mods together and expect them to work.

Actually you pretty much can, most mods are only dependant on Hugslib. Just check the description of anything you want to add and itll usually say if it needs to be loaded before/after something else you installed.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Gyshall posted:

Put Hugslib at the top, with other general libraries that your mods note as required below it. Jecrell's and Humanoid Framework tend to be the major ones. As well, load anything that is required by another mod before the mod that requires it. Other than that load it all up in whatever order you feel like organizing it in - the underlying code dealing with mods is very solid and the community's pretty great with compatibility. Do be wary of loading two mods that do the same thing like the quarry mod and the Medieval Times mod that contains a quarry for instance, since that can cause unexpected interactions. Outright crashes are pretty rare to nonexistent though.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

metasynthetic posted:

New game on Randy Rough about a month in, got my 2nd raid - one Feral with a nail gun. I already had a mini bunker set up and made a clearing with zero cover about 20 tiles out in all directions so I wasn't too concerned.

Then a goddamn bee hive spawns in the EXACT worst location about 3 tiles in front of my bunker in the direction of the raider, blocking LOS. He takes the perfect path in, none of my guys even fire a shot, then he tucks around the corner at the last second and unloaded a nailgun clip into my doctor at point blank range :argh:

edit: this poo poo right here, he came from the southeast. gently caress you Randy

I don't think the beehive had anything to do with this, I think it's just your bunker design. Using solid walls gives better cover but with single tile gaps you will always have a lot of trouble shooting at anything beyond mostly straight angles, so either you have a killbox that funnels enemies into those straight angles or you redesign your bunker to accommodate off-angle targets.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Optimal wall placement for a bunker is like this:

[]x[]x[]x[]x[]x[]

Where [] is a wall segment and x is a sandbag, as long as you need. Two segment walls will trash your LOS horribly.

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008

Gyshall posted:

I realize I can't just Chuck 200 mods together and expect them to work.

Yeah actually you can do just that. You pretty much have to try to crash this game. I'd recommend starting here:
https://youtu.be/Arr0f8-_olw

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
I'm about to flip a loving table with this CE thing, anyone got a good modlist for it that includes things like dub's mods, medieval times, and other stuff?

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Anyone has an idea how to use stone on wetland maps? Barring occasional pockets of normal soil, I have to build bridges everywhere, which pretty much force me to use wood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
I'm pretty sure you can build stone walls on bridges. Just not stone floors and other "heavy" objects (god knows how a marble wall isn't heavy)