Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Expect My Mom posted:

people who consume fiction? this is a dumb question. like, in general

people "consume fiction" all the time without thinking to themselves "how does this advance ~the medium~" or "what is the ~artistic message~ here"

"value as art" on it's own means loving nothing, it's just a way to mask the complaint of "i don't like it"

which is fine! it's ok not to like things, but don't pretentious it up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Hate when I'm enjoying a thing but then I think about its artistic value and realize that it's actually objectively bad

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

Hate when I'm enjoying a thing but then I think about its artistic value and realize that it's actually objectively bad

You never get that 'this is fun but really empty' feeling?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

i've enjoyed a few objectively lovely video games before

artistic value never really came into the equation though, just a side-thought of "huh this thing sure is kind of lovely"

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Darth Walrus posted:

Yeah but never to the point where I considered it a major detriment to my experience.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yinlock posted:

people "consume fiction" all the time without thinking to themselves "how does this advance ~the medium~" or "what is the ~artistic message~ here"
Yes, a lot of people don't really try and engage with the media they consume. A lot of people don't think about a lot of things that are relevant to others, that fact doesn't mean much of anything.

quote:

"value as art" on it's own means loving nothing, it's just a way to mask the complaint of "i don't like it"
No it doesn't. You can think something has value as art but not personally like it (Like for example I can recognize David as a masterpiece of sculpture while not personally feeling moved by it or engaged by it or whatever), while likewise you can find something to be "objectively lovely" and still enjoy it.

quote:

which is fine! it's ok not to like things, but don't pretentious it up
People can have reasons to find something bad beyond just not personally liking it.

How do you determine these video games you mention are "objectively lovely", for instance without caring about "~the medium~" or "~artistic message~", since apparently those aren't means by which we can analyze or judge something?

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jul 31, 2019

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Raxivace posted:

Yes, a lot of people don't really try and engage with the media they consume.

this is what i mean by the "turbosmug" thing, btw

quote:

No it doesn't. You can think something has value as art but not personally like it (Like for example I can recognize David as a masterpiece of sculpture while not personally feeling moved by it or engaged by it or whatever), while likewise you can find something to be "objectively lovely" and still enjoy it.
People can have reasons to find something bad beyond just not personally liking it.

How do you determine these video games you mention are "objectively lovely", for instance without caring about "~the medium~" or "~artistic message~", since apparently those aren't means by which we can analyze or judge something?

because they're bad games from a design or writing standpoint that i personally enjoy

this isn't hard

e: i am the last person qualified to judge whether something is art, i am a dumb-rear end who can barely type legible posts and can't even draw stick-figures well, which is why i need more than "it just has no ~artistic merit~" to convince me something is bad

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jul 31, 2019

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
What is art? Does it have to have a SEELE?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Weird BIAS posted:

What is art? Does it have to have a SEELE?

art is what the nice afro man on tv makes

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Art is both David and Duchamp's toilet and when you realize that you understand that Evangelion is both Ode to Joy and 4'33. Also it's a weirdo version of a 60s pop song about being alienated from your child and a bond song.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Weird BIAS posted:

a bond song.
As our friend SHISHKABOB once pointed out, quite literally in this case!

SHISHKABOB posted:

There's nothing in the world i want more right now than some three hour leviathan of an evangelion movie. Rewatching 3.33 and I'm just like :nignog:

also holy crap check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZZ0MJgxjsM this loving classic evangelion tune that ive loved and adored since the first time ive heard it...

...is a rearrangement of a classic james bond piece!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKCEiNk198E

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jul 31, 2019

noether
May 1, 2017

some kinda cutesy shoggoth

Raxivace posted:

I agree with Milkfred "E." Moore. The manga goes against the spirit of the anime in the most generic rear end, uninspired way possible which makes it kind of worthless as art.

it definitely doesn't have a whole lot in common with the show thematically, but so much of that is a product of the specific struggle anno was having with mental illness at the time, and I don't know that any eva adaptation/remake/whatever can ever recapture that whole aesthetic. the manga is fundamentally detached from that by nature of not being helmed by anno in the first place. instead it's just a really solid mecha comic with good art and character development

and like, yeah, it's a good bit pulpier than the show in places, but it still does a lot of stuff really well, and there's a handful of changes that I definitely like better. I love the scene where shinij tries to console toji when he finds out he's been chosen as a pilot, for instance, and I've been enjoying the more pronounced character arc that rei has. I like how shinji and gendo's relationship is portrayed, too.

I'm pissed they cut out leliel though tbh. that was probably my favorite angel in the show

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I think I'd be able to like the manga if it was as willing to change some of the plot as it was the characters, something about seeing those character changes go through many of the same plot beats just made it feel hollow to me.

Altho I guess the way it changes End of Eva was lame as hell so maybe there's no winning move.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
"Weird flex but OK" has been almost the entirety of this last page.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
The Eva manga is very important as it shows us that Gendo did not get Adam grafted onto the palm of his hand, he just slurped it up
like a big ole weirdo.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Shinji taking a swing at Gendo after the Dummy Plug incident is the highlight of the manga for me

noether
May 1, 2017

wow manga kaworu is awful

like not even really in an interesting way, he's just super loving obnoxious

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

noether posted:

Yeah it's this weird thing where Manga Kaworu primarily seems interested in pissing off everyone around him

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Anno’s writing and producing Shin Ultraman, comes out 2021, Higuchi’s directing this one too :toot:

https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/1156669898237579265

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Good for him. He's a really big ultra man head isn't he?

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Luigi Thirty posted:

Anno’s writing and producing Shin Ultraman, comes out 2021, Higuchi’s directing this one too :toot:

https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/1156669898237579265

3.0+1.0 delayed to 2023

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Blockhouse posted:

I mean one of the running themes of the manga is Shinji "manning up" doesn't actually make things better and his "manning up" is mostly made up of childish outbursts of anger

If you want this concept done more straight / "helpfully" to the situation, play certain Super Robot Wars games!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

How is Higuchi's solo live action stuff?

I really enjoyed Hisone & Masotan but I have no idea if his Attack on Titan movies and such were worth taking a look at.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Arc Light posted:

3.0+1.0 delayed to 2023
the article makes specific note to say anno is joining the project after he finishes eva

though since he's a huge ultraman fan, i feel mean making him wait and do his Job

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

Expect My Mom posted:

the article makes specific note to say anno is joining the project after he finishes eva

though since he's a huge ultraman fan, i feel mean making him wait and do his Job

Expect Evangelion 3.0+1.0 to come out in about 2 1/2 weeks time.

The first half will be a clip show of the previous rebuilds, the second half will be mostly incomplete sketches and some live-action footage/photos rapidly being flipped through while all the voice actors cryptically narrate what's "actually" going on (but that we don't see since we're now in the characters' minds. Which are made of sketches.)

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Soul Reaver posted:

Expect Evangelion 3.0+1.0 to come out in about 2 1/2 weeks time.

The first half will be a clip show of the previous rebuilds, the second half will be mostly incomplete sketches and some live-action footage/photos rapidly being flipped through while all the voice actors cryptically narrate what's "actually" going on (but that we don't see since we're now in the characters' minds. Which are made of sketches.)

I unironically want this.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
khara: "Please finish the Rebuilds"

Anno: "no"

khara: "we'll let you make an ultraman movie if you finish the rebuilds"

Anno: "Rebuild 4 will be released in 2020, thank you"

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Zeruel posted:

Good for him. He's a really big ultra man head isn't he?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwm6fw7lu3w

yeah, probably

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Yinlock posted:

not the brightest kid though

i find it kinda hard to blame him for being tricked by like the literal illuminati

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
Just finished my rewatch of the show and movie, and will probably watch the rebuild for the first time soon. Anything I should or shouldn’t be aware of going in? I know it’s a ‘remix’ of the original story. What am I in for here?

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

mkay0 posted:

Just finished my rewatch of the show and movie, and will probably watch the rebuild for the first time soon. Anything I should or shouldn’t be aware of going in? I know it’s a ‘remix’ of the original story. What am I in for here?

Bit of retreading the same stuff but with fancy CG, bit of questionable fanservice, bit of useless character(s), but overall a pretty solid addition.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

mkay0 posted:

They're one part sequel, one part re-imagining, one part meta-commentary, and one part adaptation.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

noether posted:

Kaworu is the character most clearly different from the anime and as Anime Kaworu was my favorite, I also disliked him in the manga. I won't vouch for how well it's done but I think I get what Sadamoto was trying. I don't know where you are in the manga though so I don't want to spoil anything.

noether posted:

it definitely doesn't have a whole lot in common with the show thematically, but so much of that is a product of the specific struggle anno was having with mental illness at the time, and I don't know that any eva adaptation/remake/whatever can ever recapture that whole aesthetic. the manga is fundamentally detached from that by nature of not being helmed by anno in the first place. instead it's just a really solid mecha comic with good art and character development

and like, yeah, it's a good bit pulpier than the show in places, but it still does a lot of stuff really well, and there's a handful of changes that I definitely like better. I love the scene where shinij tries to console toji when he finds out he's been chosen as a pilot, for instance, and I've been enjoying the more pronounced character arc that rei has. I like how shinji and gendo's relationship is portrayed, too.

I'm pissed they cut out leliel though tbh. that was probably my favorite angel in the show

In interviews in the manga Sadamoto specifically points out why his manga and his Shinji are so different from Anno's. Because Yoshiyuki Sadamoto is not Hideaki Anno and a character as personal as Shinji reflects the person writing them. If Manga Shinji was anything else but a very different character from Anime Shinji that would be a far greater indictment of the manga's quality.

I liked the manga. Sadamoto's Rei bias is clear but who cares. The Manga made Rei my favorite Eva character.

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

Mostly the same characters but they act a little older and the theme of the story changes accordingly.

Zeruel posted:

Bit of retreading the same stuff but with fancy CG, bit of questionable fanservice, bit of useless character(s), but overall a pretty solid addition.

What if (speculation for 3+1, don't read if you haven't seen the rebuilds) Mari is the last angel, still a useless character?

Charlatan Eschaton fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Aug 1, 2019

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

EthanSteele posted:

khara: "Please finish the Rebuilds"

Anno: "no"

khara: "we'll let you make an ultraman movie if you finish the rebuilds"

Anno: "Rebuild 4 will be released in 2020, thank you"

I suspect the reason they even feel comfortable announcing Ultraman is because khara's probably past the storyboarding, key frame and voice recording stage for 3.0+1.0, and are hopefully at worst doing in-between cuts. The fact we have ten whole minutes of movie already suggests they're probably even farther along into coloring & effects animation. If so, it's at a point where it'll be more on Tsurumaki or Masuyuki or Maeda or whoever is actually doing the day to day direction & the people they're managing than Anno. Even if Anno is half distracted writing Ultraman, it won't matter now unless something in pre-work on Ultraman makes him want to fix something very late in the game on 3.0+1.0 and he actually manages to convince the rest of his staff to scrap rather finished work.

Which I suppose isn't impossible.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
The final Waypoints episode on Eva finally dropped, and to the surprise of no one, it's over 4 hours long lol

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Equeen posted:

The final Waypoints episode on Eva finally dropped, and to the surprise of no one, it's over 4 hours long lol

I don't think I have the mental energy to go through that. For people with more time on their hands than me, do they hate EoE?

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

CottonWolf posted:

I don't think I have the mental energy to go through that. For people with more time on their hands than me, do they hate EoE?

I'm listening to it right now, and whoa boy. So far not a lot of fondness for EoE or episodes 25 and 26! Like there's some genuine anger and frustration, but I'm only in first 20 or so minutes of the podcast, so I haven't gotten to the more specific complaints yet.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
to be fair, anger is a pretty common reaction to EoE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noether
May 1, 2017

NikkolasKing posted:

Kaworu is the character most clearly different from the anime and as Anime Kaworu was my favorite, I also disliked him in the manga. I won't vouch for how well it's done but I think I get what Sadamoto was trying. I don't know where you are in the manga though so I don't want to spoil anything.

In interviews in the manga Sadamoto specifically points out why his manga and his Shinji are so different from Anno's. Because Yoshiyuki Sadamoto is not Hideaki Anno and a character as personal as Shinji reflects the person writing them. If Manga Shinji was anything else but a very different character from Anime Shinji that would be a far greater indictment of the manga's quality.

I liked the manga. Sadamoto's Rei bias is clear but who cares. The Manga made Rei my favorite Eva character.

I just got to the point where shinji kills kaworu at terminal dogma last night. I think his introduction where he kills the cat is interesting, but after that, he just seems super pushy and the fact that he and shinji really don't get along kind of makes the rest of that arc kind of hard to believe, I guess. honestly though, I've been really enjoying all the non-kaworu content so far.

also yeah, rei is definitely the breakout star of the manga so far. all the rei/shinji stuff is super cute, and I like that she generally has more of a personality. and the scene where ritsuko tries to strangle her was a pretty great addition imo.

I'm kind of irritated that rei 3 hasn't been getting much attention yet, but that's an issue the anime had anyway.