Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress Lost is the god drat reason they’re called white walkers in the show because they didn’t want to confuse the use of the term Others

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Koirhor posted:

gently caress Lost is the god drat reason they’re called white walkers in the show because they didn’t want to confuse the use of the term Others

White walkers is used in the books too.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Was it? I can't remember.

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008
I will never forgive the writers of lost for being the greatest bullshit artists in history.

Week after week of puzzle endings designed to intrigue and confound and a constant stream of

" guys dont worry...we have all this planned out...we know what were doing"

They didn't and they didn't. It still makes angry to this day.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Well everyone guessed after Episode 1 somewhat correctly that they were in ‘Purgatory’

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

hitchensgoespop posted:

I will never forgive the writers of lost for being the greatest bullshit artists in history.

Week after week of puzzle endings designed to intrigue and confound and a constant stream of

" guys dont worry...we have all this planned out...we know what were doing"

They didn't and they didn't. It still makes angry to this day.

*BSG’s “and they have a plan” slide pops up*
Narrator voice: There was no plan

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I'm being 100% honest when I say I wish he would just admit these will never be finished and walk away. It'd be embarrassing but I'd rather he just put everyone and himself out of their misery after ADWD turned out how it did. And really how much more embarrassing can it get than a bunch of HBO boob peddlers finishing off your lifes work for you because you couldn't be arsed into doing it yourself in less than a decade.

Just go enjoy your money fat man, gently caress all this

I'll throw in a hot take and say that after my series re-read I'm of the opinion Dance is the second best book and maybe even the best

It's a shame about the dr Seuss 'the more she drank the more she poo poo' line cause outside of that the Dany chapters are actually really loving good

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
It does have a lot of Stannis, I'll give it that

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Solice Kirsk posted:

Was it? I can't remember.

At the very least I just saw it used in world of ice and fire which grrm considers book canon. Been a minute since I read the series.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
"White Walkers" is one of the several poetic alternate names for the Others. It's never used as anything but a flowery alternate name to my recollection.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

"White Walkers" is one of the several poetic alternate names for the Others. It's never used as anything but a flowery alternate name to my recollection.

I could have sworn that it was only used for the zombies.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

genericnick posted:

those are called wights consistently I think

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

genericnick posted:

You're thinking of the Wights. All the wights are zombies and all the zombies are wights; the White Walkers/Others are the seemingly non-human blue/white people who make and control the wights

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
wight itself being an old english word for "man" or "person" that has come to be associated with the unquiet dead in fantastical literature, as 19th and 20th century English-language writers used it to translate the concept of draugs from norse mythology and other sorts of folkloric sentient undead

e: and pronounced 'wig-ht', not 'white'

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

A Typical Goon posted:

I'll throw in a hot take and say that after my series re-read I'm of the opinion Dance is the second best book and maybe even the best

It's a shame about the dr Seuss 'the more she drank the more she poo poo' line cause outside of that the Dany chapters are actually really loving good

Yeah after my re-read I can agree with second for Dance. Clash is still at one for me though.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

wight itself being an old english word for "man" or "person" that has come to be associated with the unquiet dead in fantastical literature, as 19th and 20th century English-language writers used it to translate the concept of draugs from norse mythology and other sorts of folkloric sentient undead

e: and pronounced 'wig-ht', not 'white'

I have to say his choice of the term wight for his zombies was puzzling to me. Granted he wrote the first one in 1996 so zombies were less prevalent, but I dunno it seemed bizarre. Maybe he was trying to deliberately reference Tolkien, he also used the term warg, though totally differently than Tolkien did (arguably more accurately), so maybe he was trying to make some kind of point or something.

Also, unquiet dead or undead or ab-dead or what have you, creatures, are common in real Earth mythology, they come in many forms and varieties yet in AsoIaF the only undead referenced ever as far as I know are the wights (maybe Robert Strong, the ice dragon I guess).

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Might have picked up on the Wight from it's use in Dungeons & Dragons. Don't know if he played that specifically but he was definitely into Superhero RPG's. Most of the orginal Wild Cards characters were from his Superworld campaign.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
historically, it's dnd module writers' who've ripped off grrm rather than the other way around

and the use of wight to describe or denote undead in fantasy literature goes back to at least Victorian translations of the old Norse sagas into English, so it's less that Martin is using Tolkein's tag than that he's following the conventions of ~150 years of English-language fantastic prose

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The word zombie originates in voodooism so I understand why he didn't use that. "Undead" might have been better than "wight" but honestly wight is fine?

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

pseudanonymous posted:

Also, unquiet dead or undead or ab-dead or what have you, creatures, are common in real Earth mythology, they come in many forms and varieties yet in AsoIaF the only undead referenced ever as far as I know are the wights (maybe Robert Strong, the ice dragon I guess).

Dondarrion
Stoneheart
Maybe probably Jon
The Undying
arguably Bloodraven
Varamyr and Orell
The Ghost of High Heart? Maybe

Oh and Clarence Crabb's heads. I'm sure they're for real.

Kuiperdolin fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Aug 1, 2019

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
varamyr and orell aren't undead, they're just animals now

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

They died and still live.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Koirhor posted:

This is also why Robin Arryn and Yara Greyjoy are a thing, they were afraid two Roberts would be confusing and Asha was too similar to Osha.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

varamyr and orell aren't undead, they're just animals now

Orell's spirit got pushed aside when Varamyr claimed the bird, Melisandre eventually set the bird on fire causing Varamyr to go mad for a while.

quote:

Once a horse is broken to the saddle, any man can mount him. Once a beast’s been joined to a man, any skinchanger can slip inside and ride him. Orell was withering inside his feathers, so I took the eagle for my own. But the joining works both ways, warg. Orell lives inside me now, whispering how much he hates you. And I can soar above the Wall, and see with eagle eyes.

Vichan fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Aug 2, 2019

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

Vichan posted:

This is also why Robin Arryn and Yara Greyjoy are a thing, they were afraid two Roberts would be confusing and Asha was too similar to Osha.

sweetrobert

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
https://twitter.com/RileyMcAtee/status/1156974069616541696

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

If this piece of dogshit actually wins Best Writing at the Emmys it's gonna be a hilarious shitshow. They had to pull the PDF off the Emmy website after people started mocking it too hard.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I think way too many people were down on the last season, for justified (it sucked), and unjustified (Dany was supposed to win!), reasons for it to do anything big again but who knows.

It really seemed one sided in the online discourse

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
No it was gratifying to see a spade be called a spade rather than having a bunch of websites bullshit to curry favour with HBO

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mameluke posted:

No it was gratifying to see a spade be called a spade rather than having a bunch of websites bullshit to curry favour with HBO

I think actually seeing the script really crystallized it for folks and kind of made it impossible to do so in the face of hard evidence. And the fact that it came hot on the heels of D&D ducking out of ComicCon and the panel abruptly ending before the Q&A session started just helped contribute to the snowball of guilt surrounding them.

Like, the fix is in, it’s gonna win best writing, but now people at least know that it really was a garbage script that won.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Seeing the script? What was wrong with it that wasn't in the episode?

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Ague Proof posted:

The direction was somehow massively dumber than what happened on screen. It's a tremendous achievement in that sense

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

The direction was somehow massively dumber than what happened on screen. It's a tremendous achievement in that sense

Yeah, what was on screen was bad, but now phrases like “Jon and Sansa failed geography”, “Her Satanic Majesty”, and “How the gently caress did this happen?” are out there in semi-public parlance.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Ague Proof posted:

I think it's more that there was nothing right with it that wasn't in the episode. People were hoping for exculpatory evidence, there was none.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ARYA looks at KING'S LANDING on fire, everything is charred.
Wowwee, DROGON sure knows how to PAINT IT BLACK, the GOLDEN COMPANY smashed, like a 1996 FORD MUSTANG plowed through them.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

pseudanonymous posted:

I think it's more that there was nothing right with it that wasn't in the episode. People were hoping for exculpatory evidence, there was none.

And it also revealed that a few of the actual good moments in the finale were actually garbage salvaged by a great production crew. Like how Drogon burning the Iron Throne because he somehow realized it was responsible for Dany’s death by being the source of her lust for power in the script is actually just Drogon blasting fire at a wall in a fit of blind rage and the throne just happened to be in the way and melted accidentally.

Like, there’s a reason Isaac Hempstead-Wright thought the script was a pisstake joke at first and then had a panic attack when he realized it was real.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

pseudanonymous posted:

Looking for meaning or some level of thought and you get this instead

quote:

The Dothraki scream and raise their arakhs into the air. We have some badass-looking Dothraki in the mix.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

I get that a script is not a novel, but the prose seems really bad.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

I still haven't quite figured out whether the dumb bystander refers to the throne or Jon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

I will say this for the last season of Game of Thrones. They consistently upped their game. Basically each episode I thought "they can't possibly gently caress up the characters, poo poo up the plots, have more stupid meaningless action stunts, and forget more of the lore than this, this has to be the pinnacle of awfulness." But they did. Each episode they exceeded my expectations. Each episode they pushed the envelope.