Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Bret Stephens wrote another article where he gets mad that Democrats aren't Republicans.

Rather than link it and risk that people read it, here's a list of better ways to spend your time than reading a Bret Stephens article:

1. Write a thousand word essay about what Bret's position would be in the Third Reich and how long he'd keep it
  2. Explain why Democrats actually are Republicans in language simple enough that a child or New York Times op-ed writer could understand
  3. Think about how the planet is dying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1156621424246894595

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

quote:

But peel back the oil-spattered pages of history, and you’ll find that the sandwich so closely aligned with the stars and stripes was once also embraced by the hammer and sickle. (Yep, like so much about this current administration, even Trump’s beloved hamburgers have surprising ties to Russia.)

im surprised this piece of hard hitting journalism wasn't already brought up by maddow

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

incredible ratio

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

turn off the TV posted:

im surprised this piece of hard hitting journalism wasn't already brought up by maddow

the name of the sandwich?

bernie sanders

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/loisbeckett/status/1156629574630830080

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
It makes you wonder how hard the author worked to paint a complete picture of Reagan.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Reagan had a world class team of handlers at all times ensuring the public (including the vast majority of other government workers outside the WH) had a very particular image of Reagan. If you want an example of how far gone his brain was later into the presidency my dad had to make a model trainset to convince him that the soviets didn't have secret nuclear missile trains

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Venom Snake posted:

Reagan had a world class team of handlers at all times ensuring the public (including the vast majority of other government workers outside the WH) had a very particular image of Reagan. If you want an example of how far gone his brain was later into the presidency my dad had to make a model trainset to convince him that the soviets didn't have secret nuclear missile trains

What?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the shagohod

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

We are so loving doomed.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

the clothes have no emperor should be required cspam reading, it’s like an archive of tweets feom the reagan era, and it’s free!

http://www.theclotheshavenoemperor.com/

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Venom Snake posted:

It's established with everyone but Reagan's handlers at this point, who have sworn themselves to secrecy, that Reagan had significant Alzheimer's problems while in office. Trump is our first old-rear end president in a long time so people forget how hosed up this can get.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

iv got to go back to studying but the story is the joint chiefs and a ton of air force people where convinced the soviets had secret nuclear missile trains. my dad whose been a train nerd his entire life had an intuition this was bullshit and when he demanded proof the air force nor the cia could produce any except extremely blurry photos of trains from super far away (we did know they moved rocket parts via train, which could look like missiles). So knowing reagan he decided that the best way to convince him that he was right and everyone else was wrong was to make a model train set.

the cold war was really silly.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

the clothes have no emperor should be required cspam reading, it’s like an archive of tweets feom the reagan era, and it’s free!

http://www.theclotheshavenoemperor.com/

quote:

Asked to comment on his wife's unusually high disapproval rating, President Reagan says, "I just heard earlier today – and maybe Larry can tell me if this is true – I just heard that some poll or something has revealed that she's the most popular woman in the world."

White House spokesman Larry Speakes says he has seen no such poll. "I tell you," says the President, "if it isn't true, it should be. I'm on her side."

quote:

At his sixth press conference, President Reagan is asked if he agrees with his Justice Department's efforts to overturn the Supreme Court's Webber ruling, which allows unions and management to enter into voluntary affirmative action agreements. The President says he "can't bring that to mind as to what it pertains to and what it calls for." When a reporter explains it to him, he says he supports the decision, though White House aides later say he thinks it should be overturned.

quote:

ABC's Barbara Walters asks President Reagan what adjectives he would use to describe himself? "Soft touch, I really am ... sometimes I'm stubborn, I hope not unnecessarily so, but ... [long pause] ... I ... I can't answer that question, I wouldn't know how to do it." He is, however, able to describe his academic record: "I never knew anything above Cs."

Reagan was a complete CSPAM moderator while he was in office

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

MAY 1981

5/9/81

New York Times: C.I.A. SEEKS LAW FOR SURPRISE SEARCHES OF NEWSROOMS

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Presidential Model Train Maker is the zenith of c spam aspiration

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

"I mean if you ignore the welfare queens thing and the all the references to "over sexualized women" and to "violent big, Black bucks" and him only wanting gun control AFTER the black panthers started arming themselves, how was i supposed to realize he was kinda big on racism?" :suicide:

Toplowtech has issued a correction as of 17:02 on Aug 1, 2019

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

7/6/81

Nancy Reagan, 60, celebrates her 58th birthday.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

GalacticAcid posted:

Presidential Model Train Maker is the zenith of c spam aspiration

Jizz mopper in the presidential restroom.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I too make model trains to understand how conspiracy theories don't make sense.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Prav posted:

7/6/81

Nancy Reagan, 60, celebrates her 58th birthday.

iirc this is a running joke throughout the book

i need to read it again, it owns

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Toplowtech posted:

"I mean if you ignore the welfare queens thing and the all the references to "over sexualized women" and to "violent big, Black bucks" and him only wanting gun control AFTER the black panthers started arming themselves, how was i supposed to realize he was kinda big on racism?" :suicide:

I have to point out that the Reagan scholar having an attack of the vapors was not the scholar who got the comments disclosed. That was Tim Naftali, NYU history prof, and it'd been denied to him when Reagan was still alive on the grounds of 'privacy.' So apparently getting access to these tapes has been a king-hell-rear end long battle between scholars and the Reagan library

And while they trot out Mr. Vapors for some con-text, the article actually makes the point that for a lot of people, this disclosure comes as no suprise:

quote:

But many African Americans have long regarded Reagan as an exploiter of racism for political gain. He kicked off his 1980 presidential campaign at the Neshoba County Fair in Mississippi, a Ku Klux Klan stronghold where civil rights workers Andrew Goodman, Michael Schwerner and James Chaney were murdered in 1964.

As Bob Herbert wrote a decade ago in the New York Times, Reagan appeared "in front of a white and, at times, raucous crowd of perhaps 10,000, chanting: ‘We want Reagan! We want Reagan!’ "

Reagan told the crowd, “I believe in states’ rights,” signalling his views on racial justice. “Reagan may have been blessed with a Hollywood smile and an avuncular delivery," Herbert wrote, “but he was elbow deep in the same old race-baiting Southern strategy of Goldwater and Nixon.”

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

:nixon: “I’m not saying that blacks cannot govern; I am saying they have a hell of a time. Now, that must demonstrate something.”

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Nebakenezzer posted:

I have to point out that the Reagan scholar having an attack of the vapors was not the scholar who got the comments disclosed. That was Tim Naftali, NYU history prof, and it'd been denied to him when Reagan was still alive on the grounds of 'privacy.' So apparently getting access to these tapes has been a king-hell-rear end long battle between scholars and the Reagan library

And while they trot out Mr. Vapors for some con-text, the article actually makes the point that for a lot of people, this disclosure comes as no suprise:

i thought they got the tape out of the nixon library

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

she looks like a forgetable 1 skit Rachel Dratch character

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Shear Modulus posted:

i thought they got the tape out of the nixon library

Yeah, my mistake. The author was in charge of the Nixon Library, and it was the National Archives that initially passed over the comments and then later released them to that library.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://twitter.com/kthalps/status/1156070310963269632

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

nyt delenda est

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Astead thinks Bernie’s supporters are all white men and has said as much when Bernie announced this year

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 19 days!)

They're gonna keep repeating the line that black people hate Bernie all the way to election day.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sorry, "Black twitter ain't havin' no Bernie!"

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Sorry, "Black twitter ain't havin' no Bernie!"

When you put it like that, I can see their logo as those crows from dumbo

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

ugh, je suis fatigue

I'm reading it now and his criticism is that democrats want to discuss policy and real solutions

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/DrAndrewThaler/status/1156650054423207936
https://twitter.com/DrAndrewThaler/status/1156659900656869376

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

the rigorous editorial standards of the nyt are just incredible

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Their editors are all busy dropping racist hot takes and rushing to each other's defense on Twitter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/henrykrinkie/status/1157093534111023105?s=21