Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The fact that the drastic mistake that Diavolo makes leading to his defeat is going "aight bet" to Trish calling him a coward still floors me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Pewdiepie posted:

Pucci has better fashion sense than Funny Valentine.

He is gay after all

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Funky Valentine posted:

The fact that the drastic mistake that Diavolo makes leading to his defeat is going "aight bet" to Trish calling him a coward still floors me.

the No Balls gambit

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

I don't really have any problems w Diavolo(or Giorno ftm) aside from the simple fact he's more interesting to analyze as a character than he is fun to watch, necessarily. I like him a lot. His design owns, Doppio and their dynamic together owns, his movements affect the direction of the plot moreso than DIO or Kira, and his power feels legit unfightable to the point that I respect Araki for sticking to his guns on "King Crimson is invincible, our only way to even maybe have a shot is to break the world and hope for a bullshit checkmate" cuz what it gave us is basically a visually wild dress rehearsal for even better ideas brought up in Made in Heaven and Ticket to Ride, fights against Stands w even wilder, more unbeatable powers.

But I mean, you can spend lots of words on what Diavolo's whole deal is, at the end of the day, he's basically just a right bastard. Cowardly yet arrogant w a god complex, and DIO and Kira are both more nuanced expressions of that, tho some of that's by design.

Pucci's funny, but if it weren't for his backstory and the ending, he'd easily be the villain who made the least of an impression on me.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Pewdiepie posted:

Pucci has better fashion sense than Funny Valentine.
That may be true but Pucci has nothing on a true patriot's physique.

:patriot:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm going to be honest, I hang out in this thread without having read parts 6-8 yet but I've been passively spoiled by the internet long ago and it's all nonsense whether I have context or not.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Funky Valentine posted:

It's funny because he has spent his entire life being an open and active coward and it's like NOW you have pride?

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Waffleman_ posted:

It's funny because he has spent his entire life being an open and active coward and it's like NOW you have pride?

https://twitter.com/EntersThe/status/1157610537691287552

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Brought To You By posted:

That may be true but Pucci has nothing on a true patriot's physique.

:patriot:

Sometimes I think about how Valentine's backstory is Literally Pulp Fiction and I'm just in absolute awe of Araki's balls.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Always thinking about how part 6 has a character whose backstory is just Holes starring Shia Labeouf.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Gruckles posted:

Always thinking about how part 6 has a character whose backstory is just Holes starring Shia Labeouf.

Hahaha oh yeah, I was definitely blown away by that too because I'd read the book as a kid.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

thinkin back to how the green baby imprinting scene is literally just taken from that one scene in the movie 'a.i.: artificial intelligence'

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Wild how Spider-man from Spider-man just shows up a bit.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Y'all ever notice that some characters are named after bands and musicians?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

my post wasn't facetious, by the way. i think araki saw that movie and thought it was cool as gently caress so he worked it into stone ocean as soon as he could.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Johnny Joestar posted:

my post wasn't facetious, by the way. i think araki saw that movie and thought it was cool as gently caress so he worked it into stone ocean as soon as he could.

at least 50% of araki's writing technique

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Johnny Joestar posted:

It is unironically great, I love it

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
King Crimson has the baby angry face literally just because Araki saw Total Recall, that's a known fact

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Araki's Artistic Process is watch a movie/listen to a CD/read a wikipedia page and then make a chapter about it.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Funky Valentine posted:

Araki's Artistic Process is watch a movie/listen to a CD/read a wikipedia page and then make a chapter about it.

Extremely relatable

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
maybe people weren't getting his not so subtle hints in earlier parts so to get his recommendations across he just straight up names the stands after songs he likes

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Zeruel posted:

maybe people weren't getting his not so subtle hints in earlier parts so to get his recommendations across he just straight up names the stands after songs he likes

lol and yet he still has one of the higashikata kids monologue about Yes' Heart of the Sunrise for like two pages in part 8

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Funky Valentine posted:

My favourite example of that is Ozone Baby in Pt8. Araki clearly just stumbled on the wiki article for decompression sickness, and thought it sounded cool.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Wild how Spider-man from Spider-man just shows up a bit.

I’m gonna shake his hand!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Expect My Mom posted:

King Crimson has the baby angry face literally just because Araki saw Total Recall, that's a known fact

Remember how they remade that film with Colin Farrell?

I wish King Crimson could erase that from existence.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Remember how they remade that film with Colin Farrell?

I wish King Crimson could erase that from existence.

I can't believe they made a Total Recall remake where they completely removed the 'is it real or not' aspect.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

https://twitter.com/chaosargate/status/1158104236904865793?s=21

Some book stores might have DiU Vol 2 out now, though its scheduled for release in like, 2 days I think.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I can't believe they made a Total Recall remake where they completely removed the 'is it real or not' aspect.

I watched that movie about 3 times on TV before i saw it from the start and caught the "is it real" bit.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Pootybutt posted:

Diavolo(or Giorno ftm)

Interesting theory

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I have never felt as trolled by a mangaka as I did when the green baby's stand turned out to be Zeno's paradox.

I blame Araki less for this than I do my high school philosophy classes.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

PringleCreamEgg posted:

First one doesn't really have that quandry if you pay attention to the beginning. Can still have fun watching it either way, though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also of course it's not real, it's a movie.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Working on the Let's Read op now. Thinking that the Steel Ball Read will start on August 12th and go three volumes a week. Let me know if that's too soon or too many/too few volumes

Waffleman_ posted:

So I did a thing for when we start Steel Ball Read

Still okay with using this, Waffle?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Absolutely.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

hell yes!!

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
thank you kindly!

lmao, by sheer coincidence, the second to last week ends on this. three volumes a week feels pretty good

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
YES! I AM very excited for this!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

*anime poster voice* wow part 5's ending wasn't my favorite

*me, waving manga panels around, strung out on the spin* CAN I INTEREST YOU IN PART 7

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
do we use the e/n tag for the emotional and intimate relationship of the series or the Gun tag for fingernail guns

im feeling e/n because johnny does cry a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

probably e/n, honestly

part of me almost wants a new av/title to celebrate the occasion