Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
I'm so sorry, thank you for sharing your Scout stories and making the hard choice for her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
My sincere condolences.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

I am so sorry for your loss. She fought so hard.

scremlin
Jul 3, 2007

i've never been one to
half-ass shenanigans.
I'm so sorry, mikerock. :sympathy:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
You did everything you could for that sweet little bird :ohdear:.

shipwrecks
Dec 31, 2008

Oh no. I'm so sorry to hear about Scout. Rest well, little bird.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Thanks so much everyone. We appreciate the support. You guys have been great with everything we have gone through.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I know it's small comfort at a time like this, but you really did go above and beyond for Scout and I hope when you've had time to grieve you'll be able to remember the good times in the knowledge that you couldn't have done any better in the bad.

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
Condolences. You did everything you could.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Oh no :smith: .

It's a real lovely feeling, that days or weeks or months of not knowing if your baby is gonna make it, and then the outcome not being a great one. I'm so sorry for your loss, mikerock.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
I'm sorry, mikerock. I don't even know what to say. My thoughts are with you guys.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon
Oh no, that’s awful :(

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

God, I'm still reading through this thread and I'm back in 2015 and I see pictures of Scout and I tear up every time. :(

You gave her so many happy years.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
I am so so sorry for you and your wife mikerock. You were great bird parents and did everything you could for Scout.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

StrixNebulosa posted:

God, I'm still reading through this thread and I'm back in 2015 and I see pictures of Scout and I tear up every time. :(

You gave her so many happy years.

I was looking through my post history in here for something and came across me quoting a picture of her and was in the same boat. :(

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

:sympathy:

https://i.imgur.com/RopAEma.mp4

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Those pictures were adorable. Condolences, but at least you have a lot of good things to remember.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
https://twitter.com/41Strange/status/1158209020936650752

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
So sorry to hear about Scout, I hope you & your partner are holding up. You and your vet did super good, it's just a shame that these things happen. Scout could not have had better parents.

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009
I'm so sorry to hear about Scout. I know I don't talk in here much but I was cheering the whole way.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Why does this exist!??!

https://www.amazon.com/Aromatherapy...gateway&sr=8-88

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Capitalism.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Universe, explain PARROTS.

Thank you

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Not pet, but very birb.
https://i.imgur.com/j0XWBTv.mp4

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I'm so sorry to hear about Scout.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Pookah posted:

Universe, explain PARROTS.

Thank you

:lol:

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Scout... I didn't know you personally but I'm crying for you. I'm so so sorry for your loss. I really am. I can't even imagine.

I'm going to lay extra flowers at my budgie's site for Scout, hopefully the sentiment reaches her.

edit- I'm legitimately ugly crying/hyperventilation and I'm surprised. Why do birds put on such a show of being healthy when they're suffering so much I know the real answer - to avoid predation and ostracization from their flockmates... I just can't help from think of it from the human perspective. It's too sad.

I'm just really sorry. I've been thinking of her since she her incident. It really was the worst possible outcome of a terrible accident. I feel so awful for you, Mikerocks and I feel so sorry for Scout and I feel so sorry for Spencer.

second edit - I drew up a little card for Scout (and Banane). I think I'm going to put it up at the site tomorrow, near where I go to get wild grass spikes for Pesto.

third edit - look at this rear end in a top hat budgie terrorizing this poor tiel. it's from one of those several hour long aviary videos. The tiels are usually happy in their own zone but this one little budgie feels the need to put his foot on the tiels and try to scare them away. (The budgie wins, lol. gently caress budgies. I love them)

if I live to be an old demented man, I vow to be a walking breadcrumb dispensary for all birds everywhere.

Plant MONSTER. fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Aug 6, 2019

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'm sorry to hear about Scout, I'd been rooting for her.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Little card for Scout and a small bouquet of wildflowers for her as well.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

That's a really nice card, the little green and yellow birds flying together got me real good.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Plant MONSTER. posted:

if I live to be an old demented man, I vow to be a walking breadcrumb dispensary for all birds everywhere.

Budgies are simultaeously the the best and the worst birds - look at that obnoxious little kickin' leg

Plant MONSTER. posted:

And now I'm crying for all of our lost birdy buddies - I still miss my tiel Looloo even after all these years, she was just the sweetest little friend.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Plant MONSTER. posted:

well here come the tears again :(

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

well here come the tears again :(

tell me about it... I'll share my box of tissues with everyone!

(Unless Trevor figures out where I hid it... nothing is safe in this house!!)

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Plant MONSTER. posted:

I don’t have the words

Thank you

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Ancient parrot in New Zealand was 1m tall, study says

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

quote:

The parrot's beak would have been so big, Mike Archer of the University of NSW Palaeontology said, it "could crack wide open anything it fancied".

I love this bird

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

I love this bird
quote:
The parrot's beak would have been so big, Mike Archer of the University of NSW Palaeontology said, it "could crack wide open anything it fancied".

and that's different just how?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Disco Salmon posted:

and that's different just how?

Might I remind you that parrots currently in existence cannot fit their open beak around your skull.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

help I cant deal with how cute she is!

For some content though, a question to all the GCC owners! I'm planning on getting one soon and obviously I'm used to having a bird but is there any specific green cheek advice you can give me, especially regarding things about them that are wildly different from tiels! I already know that conures actually use their feet so foot toys will be a must for the new friend but anything else I might not have considered?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Energy. Be prepared for lots and lots of energy. They are powered in equal parts by love and rage and they have no idea they're only nine inches long.

It also might just be because Amadeus is so spoiled, but they're very beaky and don't tend to consider how hard they're pinching. Charlemagne is very considerate with his beak and uses as little pressure as possible to communicate with me. Ama is not afraid to nip and squibble and pinch when he is demanding something or other :lol:

They are also more prone to jealousy than tiels seem to be, but hopefully since Terra will have been there first s/he won't get too huffy when she is getting attention.