Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I've never liked OPs art style. Oda is a sensational artist, but the combination of the style and just how busy his panels are was a turnoff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
One Piece lost me hard after the time skip because the principal problem of the series kicks into high gear then: arcs go on too long spinning their wheels in the mud introducing 2000 new characters before getting to the parts we like and remember which is the crew mopping up some rear end in a top hat and their misfit Mook crew.

Now the big bads are so powerful Luffy has like a zillion more powerups he needs first so now instead of him fighting enemy captains he's fighting 2nd tier mooks who are stronger than everyone he has ever met to that point for what feels like hundreds of chapters.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Fabricated posted:

One Piece lost me hard after the time skip because the principal problem of the series kicks into high gear then: arcs go on too long spinning their wheels in the mud introducing 2000 new characters before getting to the parts we like and remember which is the crew mopping up some rear end in a top hat and their misfit Mook crew.

Now the big bads are so powerful Luffy has like a zillion more powerups he needs first so now instead of him fighting enemy captains he's fighting 2nd tier mooks who are stronger than everyone he has ever met to that point for what feels like hundreds of chapters.

That sucks to hear. I liked the variety in antagonists in Part 1. Eneru might have been stronger than Lucci for example.

Power escalation has always been a chief complaint I had with Dragon Ball. Goku went through Hell to become strongest on Earth but then Raditz showed up and said basically even the mightiest Earth fighters and villains were loving cosmic jokes. Every new villain was infinitely stronger than the last and required a ton of powerups to beat.

And I was recently discussing Yu Yu Hakusho and how the way Sensui is handled at the end ruins the entire dynamic of Chapter Black. He did not just have a way higher Power Level than Yusuke. He had advantages like superior spiritual power and his martial arts while Yusuke had greater physical strength and his instincts. He used leg techniques while Yusuke is all about punching and his finger gun. Then it's revealed the Sensui we saw the entire arc was a fake and the real Sensui just clowns on Yusuke in every way possible. Then it all wraps up in a DBZ fight.

Apparently this w as not Togashi's intent. There was a lot of editors loving things up in CB and Three Kings.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Dexo posted:

I've never liked OPs art style. Oda is a sensational artist, but the combination of the style and just how busy his panels are was a turnoff
My biggest gripe besides the Dressrosa arc.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Fishman Island is really hard to visually parse for nearly the entire arc.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

fishman island to dressrosa is the weakest stretch of one piece but everything after that is top notch

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Dexo posted:

I recall he actually favored larger panels and less clutter for a long time early on. And the more visually detailed arcs were ones like Skypeia and Thriller Bark but they never got to the levels of bloat that I started to see during Fishman Island.

NikkolasKing posted:

That sucks to hear. I liked the variety in antagonists in Part 1. Eneru might have been stronger than Lucci for example.

Power escalation has always been a chief complaint I had with Dragon Ball. Goku went through Hell to become strongest on Earth but then Raditz showed up and said basically even the mightiest Earth fighters and villains were loving cosmic jokes. Every new villain was infinitely stronger than the last and required a ton of powerups to beat.
There is always going to be a problem with vertical power escalation, you can only win by having more points in the relevant stat than the opponent. I think for a while One Piece avoided the worst of this because devil fruits by their nature are rarely comparable, and the non-DF fighters like Zoro and Sanji beat their opponents through a combination being stronger and having new techniques. Then you had people like Usopp and Nami who won through planning and tactics to make up for their middling physical abilities. Then haki became a thing as well as entering the New World which put Luffy on the same playing field as people who can level mountain tops as a default capability while Luffy himself has to use a major technique to accomplish the same thing. So now Luffy is directly comparing numbers to other people when it comes to armament haki, and he's super outclassed in terms of fighting strength.

Luffy's always been lucky and gotten help in fights, but it's become so painfully apparent that without some aid he can't even survive against the commanders of a Yonko's crew much less even get one good hit in against a Yonko them self without getting instantly KOd in return. It's made the last few arcs very annoying to read because it's constant justifications for why one of these Yonko's don't just execute Luffy because he's been a thorn in their side and end the story.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The lieutenants of the yonkou are literally stronger than any of the warlords minus Mihawk and apparently pre-mindbreak Moria (whom before losing his crew and having something inexplicable happen to him apparently could trade blows with Kaido who absolutely effortlessly one-shot post time skip haki-powered Luffy).

Like, if Luffy was near the strength of the people who are Mook class now before the time skip he would've been able to flatten Enies Lobby and Impel Down entirely alone and would've saved Ace without much trouble at Marineford.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
And the weird part is that they weren't originally going to be that strong. The reason for this is because Oda introduced the Seven Warlords, which caused a power inflation.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

Fabricated posted:

The lieutenants of the yonkou are literally stronger than any of the warlords minus Mihawk and apparently pre-mindbreak Moria (whom before losing his crew and having something inexplicable happen to him apparently could trade blows with Kaido who absolutely effortlessly one-shot post time skip haki-powered Luffy).

Like, if Luffy was near the strength of the people who are Mook class now before the time skip he would've been able to flatten Enies Lobby and Impel Down entirely alone and would've saved Ace without much trouble at Marineford.

Wait what? Was that from some databook or something? Like I imagine Kaido was probably a bit weaker back then, but I always took it like Moria got his poo poo absolutely pushed in after a single encounter with Kaido which caused him to lose his entire crew.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The phrasing I remember was like Moira semi-regularly clashed with Kaido.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Fabricated posted:

The phrasing I remember was like Moira semi-regularly clashed with Kaido.

he didn't. he thought he was hot poo poo until he ran into Kaido, who crushed him so thoroughly that he became a hedonistic washout

the power creep in One Piece is handled extremely well because, while the antagonists and their flunkies become stronger and stronger, the ways of dealing with them are often more elaborate than just "punch harder" and the consequences that arrive when they're sufficiently punched scale up as well. the entire middle stretch of the manga happened because luffy and co made bad enough decisions for the real strong dudes to briefly take notice of them, and that resulted in them running for their lives for like two-three years' worth of arcs. doflamingo's fight might have gone on way too long, but when he finally went down, entire portions of the global economy collapsed overnight. the four emperors are nations unto themselves and any of them being deposed would result in the whole world's geopolitics being rearranged. the powers-that-be are getting increasingly panicky about luffy because his righteous punch-fests have escalated to the point where all of civilization trembles every time he downs a new foe, and luffy himself is becoming increasingly dangerous less because of his punching and more because he is convincing the downtrodden and the desolate that these people can still be punched

it's a really good way of keeping escalating threats fresh and lively for a work this ridiculously long, especially because the final threats now consist of people like blackbeard (who has his own designs on up-ending the world order), the elder stars (whose "true" vision of the world government is still a mystery but far different and even more corrupt than they lead people to believe) and big mom/kaido (who single-handedly embody different forms of institutional repression and are seemingly too powerful to die)

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 6, 2019

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Fabricated posted:

taking bounties as power levels is dumb

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Jose posted:

Luffy is dumb but that's literally what he did with Katakuri- even specifically mentioning his bounty as part of why he wanted to beat him as a sign of progress to being able to fight Big Mom.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
My problem with the power creep of One Piece is that no matter whether you frame the story as Luffy being a beacon of change in the world, or the very recent clarification that to him the title of pirate king means "the most free". At the end of the day he has to be able to punch away his problems because either his enemies will capture him and rob him of his freedom, or the world government can just kill him. Most of the big guns in the world are also very capable fighters, and they would love to personally take on Luffy himself. Which means that in the wake of the Marieneford Saga, which accurately represented his Luffy and his crew's standings in the overall scheme of things, the Strawhats are expected to at the very least have trained to the point where they won't be utterly useless in the face of the next stage of opposition. And that bar was set so high that Oda still hasn't gotten the crew to that point making the post TS content mildly frustrating.

I don't like that Run Piece has become a legitimate way to describe some of these arcs because Luffy and the crew have to spend most of it in flight. And it's fights like Doflamingo's that remind me just how badly Luffy scaled into the new world because it still took the combined might of Law's broken devil fruit, and an entire kingdom and marine retinue, to bring down Doffy. All while sheparding Luffy because his techniques still leave him vulnerable after his first big hit doesn't do the job. It works thematically because Dressrosa was just Alabasta 2.0 and about the people becoming aware of the problems of the corrupt leader and fighting back, but it's bad in terms of power scaling because Luffy is now immediately in the crosshairs of Kaidou, after already putting himself in the crosshairs of Big Mom a while earlier. The only reason Luffy was even able to get off dressrosa is because the admiral who could singlehandedly defeated every single pirate in the harbor area took a liking to him.

It's getting annoying just how often Luffy's opponents either fail to kill him, or outright take a liking to him enough to let him live when it's clear they are still leagues above him. And don't get me wrong, this has always been a thing in One Piece. Luffy died no less than 2 times to Crocodile and was saved both times, one of which by pure fiat. It's just much worse since Luffy and his crew are on a much larger world stage.

Jose posted:

I'd want to agree if Oda wasn't explicitly still using Bounties as a pseudo power level within the story itself. Otherwise there's no real reason to continually draw attention to the bounties of people like Katakuri by even making it a chapter title. and talking it up multiple times like it's supposed to mean anything with regards to how strong any given high bounty person is. Even as far back as the Shichibukai, their bounties was supposed to highlight how strong they were before they got taken into the government, not just how big a threat the world government thought they were.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I read One Piece until the lightning guy (enel?) showed up and Luffy fell from the airship for the third time.

I don't like it at all.
The humor was okay, I liked the characters.
But the story is really slow.
Worse to me, the action looks bad most of the time, but somehow seems to be even worse these days whenever I drop in to see how it's doing.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I miss Bleach.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Water 7 is when OP gets truly good in my opinion which is just after Lightning Guy Eneru.

OP is the best shounen I've seen mainly due to the worldbuilding and the thought put into Devil Fruits. Brandon Sanderson gave me a boner for meticulously thought out magic systems and OP blows most every other shounen away in this regard. I also appreciate just how cohesive the story is hence the meme Oda never forgets anything.

There are shounen I like more for a variety of reasons like music or art or women being able to fight and get hurt but on a purely technical "artistic level" I rate One Piece very, very highly. Brook's backstory alone is a masterpiece IMO.

I was considering how a villain in MHA has a very heroic scene and dialogue and if you didn't know any better you could perceive him as the good guy. It reminded me of the great way Blackbeard was introduced.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ser6i1UbOVo
"THE DREAMS OF PIRATES WILL NEVER END!"

chumbler posted:

I miss Bleach.

The soundtrack is still a great listen.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

chumbler posted:

I miss Bleach.

No you don’t.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm not looking for the anime thread. There's a new Black Clover OP- animation is great for it as always but the song is a dud sadly.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
One Piece has always been a bit hit-or-miss with me but Blackbeard is probably my favorite modern Shounen villain and I look forward to him and Luffy throwing hands in the final showdown when I'm an old man on my deathbed and my great grandchildren are turning the pages for me.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Bad Seafood posted:

One Piece has always been a bit hit-or-miss with me but Blackbeard is probably my favorite modern Shounen villain and I look forward to him and Luffy throwing hands in the final showdown when I'm an old man on my deathbed and my great grandchildren are turning the pages for me.
Oda's just gonna die first because editorial probably can't imagine a future where it's not in the magazine and nobody else has a series that can be dragged out forever in its current form- nor would any of the artists survive it.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
It seems to me that Jump looks to expand sideways (Side comics like MHA Vigilanties) rather than forward these days if that makes much sense

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

If only they had made the Bleach spinoff where the characters just get to be fashionable about town.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Oxxidation posted:

No you don’t.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

chumbler posted:

If only they had made the Bleach spinoff where the characters just get to be fashionable about town.

I wouldn't have minded someone else who wasn't a walking nervous breakdown taking the reigns of that Soul Society : UK series.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i still like kubo's art and hate his everything else.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I still miss Kenpachi.

Also Yoruichi's back and rear end.

Little else though.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

She also had some tig ol bitties.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I still miss Kenpachi.

Also Yoruichi's back and rear end.

Little else though.

Yoruichi was pretty amazing.

Also Tatsuki if anybody remembers her.

I could almost forgive older shounen like Dragon Ball or Rurouni Kenshin for failing so hard with females because there are so few of them. I don't because RK could have had a lot of badass swordswomen and the fact we only have Kaoru sucks majorly. But my point is, Bleach and Naruto and One Piece have these ginormous casts that feature quite a few women and they are almost totally squandered. In a way that is so much worse. They got my hopes up and then dashed them.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Early Bleach had a few promising moments. I'd actually earnestly recommend the first five or so volumes, everything before the Soul Society. The Memories in the Rain arc is probably the best thing he's written. Then comes the cast bloat, and the maze-like plaster streets of the underworld, and battles that are basically just about overpowering your opponent, which Ichigo does easily because it turns out he's not just some random high school student but half-everything which means he gets all the powers.

Relatively strong character design throughout, though (though not always). People joke about it all the time but I genuinely think Kubo would be happier writing a fashion manga, or drawing the art for a fashion manga someone else wrote. They can even make it revolve around fashion competitions if he wants to keep doing "Fights."

He did a oneshot for WSJ awhile back though that was basically just Bleach again but this time in England with witches, so maybe supernatural monsterbusters is the only thing he's got on his mind.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I'm sure someone's mentioned this already, but Kubo's now doing character designs for the new Sakura Wars.

Being a freelance character designer seems like it might suit him.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

The Burn the Witch one shot actually took place in the Bleach universe. So he REALLY can do only 1 thing it seems.

I really liked old Ichigo. One of my favorite moments is when he talked poo poo to some random punks and calling the ambulances in advance.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yoruichi is probably one of the most memorable characters from Bleach for me, because she was dark-skinned woman, who not only was unambiguously one of the most powerful characters in the Bleach world, she also had consistent screen-time and action in almost every arc and mostly kept up with the ridiculous power creep in the series. Especially if you compare her to someone like Tsunade (lol) who was more or less the same type of character in Naruto.

And I won't lie, the fact that she was hotter than supernova has also something to do with it

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Aug 7, 2019

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yoruichi got to be one of the mysterious characters who could come in for the inevitable last page rescues. goddamn, did kubo ever love last page rescues. most of the other female characters were either made irrelevant by power levels or were just completely wasted. for example, unohana who the databooks and such kept on hyping as being super strong. her only fight was to serve as a murder-gently caress training partner for kenpachi, who then went on to have an incredibly lovely fight against a brain in a jar. granted, the murder-gently caress training session was kind of awesome but that's all she ever got to do in the entire manga.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Did Chad ever get a moment to shine? I dropped the series halfway through Hueco Mundo so I never got to see my boy bring the thunder to anyone of note.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bad Seafood posted:

Did Chad ever get a moment to shine? I dropped the series halfway through Hueco Mundo so I never got to see my boy bring the thunder to anyone of note.

No.

Hueco was his last time to shine, even in the Fullbringer arc he did jack poo poo, and in the final arc he got a power up that he used to fight mooks.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

Not really.

None of the pre Soul Society characters ever did much. Even when the final arc was about one of them.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
no one really got to shine in the last arc. it was so hopelessly formulaic with the last page power-ups and last page rescues that kubo eventually started bringing back long-dead minor antagonists to be rescuers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

What a waste.