Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Shame Boy posted:

i was just looking up an nginx module's documentation and instead found this third-party one

https://github.com/limithit/NginxExecute

what a fantastic idea, i can't imagine how this could go wrong
A few years ago I noticed some strange log entries on a few of the servers. I eventually tracked it down to a research server - evidently one of the CS grad students was tired of using ssh to start/stop/whatever his research stuff, so he wrote a 5 line php script that took everything in the query string and passed it to exec, then returned the output of the command. Someone else eventually found it and was trying to use it to pivot into our other servers.

I'll admit, I never anticipated anyone being dumb enough to write an nginx module to do the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jabor posted:

the delete link is actually perfectly idempotent, in that opening it multiple times will still only delete the post once

what you want is for opening it zero times to have the same effect as opening it one or more times

fair enough, nerd

e: wait, no, I bet it returns an error the second time! ha! (nonetheless...)

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Aug 8, 2019

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
love to reset my password 3 times before realizing the website's lovely auth system will accept passwords of any length but actually silently truncate them at 15 characters.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Microsoft?

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Lol I had a D-link router that did that

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Jabor posted:

the delete link is actually perfectly idempotent, in that opening it multiple times will still only delete the post once

what you want is for opening it zero times to have the same effect as opening it one or more times

yeah, delete links run afoul of the safety requirement, not the idempotentcy requirement

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

love to reset my password 3 times before realizing the website's lovely auth system will accept passwords of any length but actually silently truncate them at 15 characters.

I hate this, but I once encountered something even worse.

On some website I've forgotten, I changed/set my password, and then it redirected me to a page like "cool, you're done, now you can log in", but when when I typed my credentials it kept saying they were wrong. I was about to say gently caress it and give up on the site before I finally figured out what was happening:

When I set the password, it silently truncated it to ~15 characters. However, when you log in, it compared using the full input without truncating it. :eng99:

g0del posted:

A few years ago I noticed some strange log entries on a few of the servers. I eventually tracked it down to a research server - evidently one of the CS grad students was tired of using ssh to start/stop/whatever his research stuff, so he wrote a 5 line php script that took everything in the query string and passed it to exec, then returned the output of the command. Someone else eventually found it and was trying to use it to pivot into our other servers.

I'll admit, I never anticipated anyone being dumb enough to write an nginx module to do the same thing.

Too bad no one ever created a simple service with minimal or no auth where you could just tell a computer what to do over the network. Maybe I should try making it. I'll call it TellNet or something like that.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

g0del posted:

better to have a module that is specifically is written to do a dangerous thing than to let people write their own

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
The correct question here is why does a delete link respond to GET, not whether it is idempotent

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

pseudorandom posted:

On some website I've forgotten, I changed/set my password, and then it redirected me to a page like "cool, you're done, now you can log in", but when when I typed my credentials it kept saying they were wrong. I was about to say gently caress it and give up on the site before I finally figured out what was happening:

When I set the password, it silently truncated it to ~15 characters. However, when you log in, it compared using the full input without truncating it. :eng99:

Let me one up this one.

OSX allows you to set full disk encryption using a custom keyboard layout that is stored on the disk itself. If you use a non-US layout, this lets you type keys that are not available on the default US layout (for example, ç or ü).
When the OS boots while encrypted, it prompts you for your password, but using a US layout.

If you don't have the little recovery code noted somewhere safe where you know to find it, you just rendered all your data unusable. There are no warnings or whatever, you just find about it the hard way.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

sounds like a goofy oracle thing

Andohz
Aug 15, 2004

World's Strongest Smelly Hobo

pseudorandom posted:

I had that problem with Origin a few years back. I spent an hour trying to figure out why my password resets weren't working... Turns out my password was 16 characters long so it just removed the last character.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

sounds like a goofy oracle thing

microsoft accounts used to do this in some scenarios, specifically after they merged everything under the "live ID" banner. depending on where your account was created originally you could have a password longer than 16 characters, but some of the systems, notably their volume licensing portal, would silently truncate it to 16.

this was exactly as confusing as you might expect

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

The website for Brother printers.

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

Lol I had a D-link router that did that

Fuuuck d-link. the only reason I figured out this was happening now is because years ago I wasted a whole weekend trying to get into a d-link router that had some settings I desperately need and hadn't backed up and it would not let me in despite me being 100% positive that I had the correct password. I never recovered them, but after I gave up and reset the router and had it happen again, I finally realized what had happened. gently caress. D-Link.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

MononcQc posted:

Let me one up this one.

OSX allows you to set full disk encryption using a custom keyboard layout that is stored on the disk itself. If you use a non-US layout, this lets you type keys that are not available on the default US layout (for example, ç or ü).
When the OS boots while encrypted, it prompts you for your password, but using a US layout.

If you don't have the little recovery code noted somewhere safe where you know to find it, you just rendered all your data unusable. There are no warnings or whatever, you just find about it the hard way.

I managed to do this to one of my Pis (I plugged in a keyboard at first boot and set a password then couldn't SSH in because the keyboard map was :britain: but my keyboard was :gop:).

Didn't break anything permanently but I felt pretty drat stupid when I realized what happened (which, to be fair, isn't an uncommon feeling for me but realizing how I did the dumb is).

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

the fact that keyboards still have maps in 2019 is irritating

like, look at this poo poo:

quote:

Note
A general note on Usages and languages: Due to the variation of keyboards from language
to language, it is not feasible to specify exact key mappings for every language. Where this list is not
specific for a key function in a language, the closest equivalent key position should be used, so that a
keyboard may be modified for a different language by simply printing different keycaps. One example
is the Y key on a North American keyboard. In Germany this is typically Z. Rather than changing the
keyboard firmware to put the Z Usage into that place in the descriptor list, the vendor should use the Y
Usage on both the North American and German keyboards. This continues to be the existing practice in
the industry, in order to minimize the number of changes to the electronics to accommodate other
languages.

gently caress everybody involved

pseudorandom name fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Aug 8, 2019

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
https://twitter.com/katelibc/status/1159355614704783360?s=21

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

before you install this spouseware, please read our acceptable abuse policy

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
"spouseware"?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

spyware by another name, marketed specifically to people wanting to track their SO's activity on the computer

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
i've actually installed that before for a concerned parent, they had a 15y old daughter that was talking to random older guys and probably getting into hard drugs so it seemed warranted

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Because technical fixes to behavioral problems* are well-known for their effectiveness, ammirite?

*: :airquote:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

good: having all of a minor child's passwords to keep an eye on them for real dangerous poo poo, iff you agree not to say or do fuckall about anything that isn't obviously danger

not good: reading your spouse's anything

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

infernal machines posted:

spyware by another name, marketed specifically to people wanting to track their SO's activity on the computer

What's in a name? That which we call spyware
By any other name would be just as poo poo;

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Is this known as the OPSEC thread or is it the SECFUCK thread, or are those the same, or how many are there across the forums?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the old opsec thread died because everyone insisted on making it yos-spam instead of loling at the president using a compromised phone

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

this is the secfuck thread

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Sir, this is the secfuck drivethrough

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
This is the cloudflare thread

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Rufus Ping posted:

This is the cloudflare thread

more like cloutflare amirite

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Rufus Ping posted:

This is the buttflare thread

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
This is page 69 of the buttflare thread!??

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Schadenboner posted:

Because technical fixes to behavioral problems* are well-known for their effectiveness, ammirite?

*: :airquote:

framing a desire to not see a child OD and/or get raped as parental tyranny is strikingly lovely even coming from you

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Dumb Lowtax posted:

This is page 69 of the buttflare thread!??

posting on the nice page

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
ground floor

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

framing a desire to not see a child OD and/or get raped as parental tyranny is strikingly lovely even coming from you

This is a behavioral problem not a technical one. Technical solutions will only ever inspire false confidence and, because they do not address (much less resolve) the underlying behavioral issue, will never improve the situations.

Also: go gently caress yourself.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Aug 8, 2019

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

flakeloaf posted:

good: having all of a minor child's passwords to keep an eye on them for real dangerous poo poo, iff you agree not to say or do fuckall about anything that isn't obviously danger

if I feel that need I’ll probably get a family friend to hold the passwords and check for badness if I ask, because you can’t un-learn things

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-49252501

quote:

About one in four companies revealed personal information to a woman's partner, who had made a bogus demand for the data by citing an EU privacy law.

The security expert contacted dozens of UK and US-based firms to test how they would handle a "right of access" request made in someone else's name.

In each case, he asked for all the data that they held on his fiancee.

In one case, the response included the results of a criminal activity check.

Other replies included credit card information, travel details, account logins and passwords, and the target's full US social security number.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

if I feel that need I’ll probably get a family friend to hold the passwords and check for badness if I ask, because you can’t un-learn things

i feel like this is one of the most horrifying things about having a child in the digital age. i don't, but a lot of my friends do as of the last few years and i can't imagine how they're going to deal with the morass of privacy, safety, and trust issues that are exacerbated by access to social media

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Schadenboner posted:

This is a behavioral problem not a technical one. Technical solutions will only ever inspire false confidence and, because they do not address (much less resolve) the underlying behavioral issue, will never improve the situations.

Also: go and gently caress yourself.

the logout button is a technical solution that solves the behaviour of your lovely posting, wontfix

Subjunctive posted:

:stare: you ain't kiddin

let's all take a minute to be silently impressed with how our parents sit wordlessly on all sorts of that poo poo

got a co-worker who peeps all that stuff, when his kids were young they just accepted it and as they got older and earned their privacy he had to back off. funny part was them coming to him later and saying "omg dad you knew this why didn't you say anything?" and he basically said that wasn't the deal, you weren't in danger, not my wheelhouse