Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
The AliExpress stable. Latest on the left, a 5-string bass with "small issues" which I just got yesterday. The issue is it has cloudy finish, which I couldn't care less about given that the price was stupid low. It is also extremely long, 47" overall.

And in the back, I made a wife-pleasing device which rolls into the gap between the couch and the wall so all the "clutter" goes away.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

rickiep00h posted:

Holy poo poo I love those big dumb switch knobs. :swoon:

Buy a ton of em on aliexpress

US $1.95 16% Off | 10pcs Guitar Effect Pedal Foot Nail Cap Candy Color Foot Switch Toppers Knob Plastic Bumpers Footswitch Protector Accessories
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bkFvTHUk

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Captain Splendid posted:

A few months ago I got back into guitar after a long period of not playing, I bought myself a Harley Benton JA-60 and while I really love it for the price I missed having a tremolo.

Guitar to the right is a birthday present, a Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster. I think I'm going to have a lot of fun with this one.

having never heard of harley benton before, I honestly think one of theirs is going to be my next guitar, because holy crap, those prices - even if they're cheaply built, a 12-string for a couple hundo is real nice. thanks for the heads up

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

hexwren posted:

having never heard of harley benton before, I honestly think one of theirs is going to be my next guitar, because holy crap, those prices - even if they're cheaply built, a 12-string for a couple hundo is real nice. thanks for the heads up

All of these inexpensive but otherwise well rated guitars makes me regret not being able to fit more than about 5 guitars in my apartment. Its probably also a good thing since otherwise I would probably have 30+ guitars, most of which I almost never play.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
And the second Firefly, the LP Special version in a transparent cherry

Also, the latest models have full size pots, Sprague orange drop caps, and braided, cloth-covered wires on the pickups. I have seen better soldering, though.

Gripen5 posted:

All of these inexpensive but otherwise well rated guitars makes me regret not being able to fit more than about 5 guitars in my apartment. Its probably also a good thing since otherwise I would probably have 30+ guitars, most of which I almost never play.

You're only in trouble when you need a spreadsheet to keep track of them.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

hexwren posted:

Harley Benton is Thomann's store brand, with Thomann being the biggest music retailer in Europe. I think their massive scale and interest in getting new players hooked means that their quality is generally pretty good, not amazing, but beyond what you would expect from the prices. At least I hear a lot more positive than negative surprise reactions from people who buy them.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

hexwren posted:

The one on the left that I posted I got for 130€ (maybe $150 to pull a figure out of my arse). It had a couple tiny dings from shipping and one of the tuners was fitted badly (aesthetically speaking, it holds tune fine) and those were the only issues. For the price I was very happy with it.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

BonHair posted:

Harley Benton is Thomann's store brand, with Thomann being the biggest music retailer in Europe. I think their massive scale and interest in getting new players hooked means that their quality is generally pretty good, not amazing, but beyond what you would expect from the prices. At least I hear a lot more positive than negative surprise reactions from people who buy them.

As my only guitars are an bottom-tier epiphone (that I mostly keep around a. in case poo poo and b. for sentimental reasons) and an okay-tier squier, I have yet to have a really "good" guitar in any sense, so as long as this is better than the 60s Japanese 12 I had for a while (that had the highest action I've ever deal with with no way to adjust it that I could tell)...

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Gripen5 posted:

Gonna kinda answer my own question here. It turns out this is a common problem with Gibson instruments from this time period (2010-2012). There was a flood and some of the wood from that flood was not dried fully before being used. Most of the posts I can see about it indicates someone trying to return the guitar. In almost all cases Gibson replaced the guitar.

Aw, drat, that sucks. I'm legitimately sorry to hear about that :(. Good luck on finding the next one!

Where did you hear about the improperly dried wood? The literature I've seen on the flood says that the Nashville wood storage building was on high ground and unaffected by the flood. They were also required by law to destroy all guitars affected by the humidity and water, as the wood would have also been contaminated with all kinds of nasty machinery chemicals. I'm no Gibson fanboy, but it seems like more of a coincidence to me.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

Chip McFuck posted:

Aw, drat, that sucks. I'm legitimately sorry to hear about that :(. Good luck on finding the next one!

Where did you hear about the improperly dried wood? The literature I've seen on the flood says that the Nashville wood storage building was on high ground and unaffected by the flood. They were also required by law to destroy all guitars affected by the humidity and water, as the wood would have also been contaminated with all kinds of nasty machinery chemicals. I'm no Gibson fanboy, but it seems like more of a coincidence to me.

Thanks. I just googled it and a few Gibsons seemed to have the same problem. And all from around that same time period. One of them mentioned the thing about "the flood". It could just be a coincidence and have nothing to do with a flood. Perhaps just speculation that I took to be more meaningful than it was. All of the people were complaining about practically brand new instruments built between 2010 and 2012. Most of the guitars were replaced by Gibson under their standard warranty. The one that wasn't was a second hand guitar that I never saw a resolution on except that they thought it was unlikely to be replaced because the warranty doesn't extend to second owners. Although I think he had to opportunity to return it to the shop he picked it up at, but couldn't get a replacement.

I picked the guitar up used from GC. I originally saw the guitar listed on the website and it was coincidentally at the GC closest to my apartment. When I asked the guy there about it, he had to search a few places and finally found it "downstairs" and that it had just come off "layaway", which is why it wasn't out on the floor. Although this was on the second floor of the building, so that doesn't mean it was in a damp basement or anything like that. I would like to think even GC isn't that bad with their instruments.

By the same token, this is a 9 year old Guitar that spent at least some amount of time out on the floor in a guitar center (pretty sure I spotted the same guitar there months ago) and then in the guitar center's storage for several months, so who knows what could have happened. Either way, I returned it today, I loved the thing, but I don't want something that unknown in a guitar that I am spending almost double what I have on any guitar I bought previously. Probably not the kind of money I should be spending right now anyway.

Rhe wife and I had a talk about it, because she knows I was heart broken. She says would could make it work when the time is right and I find the right guitar. She even asked "What would cost take to get one custom made the way you would want it." Obviously, she had no idea how quickly Gibsons scale in price, or what something like custom shop really means, so that is definitely not happening. Either way, I will find the right Les Paul someday.

I did find an Epiphone 1955 Custom locally I could get for what seems like a really great price, but not sure if I would forever regret not getting a legit Gibson.

Gripen5 fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jul 28, 2019

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
Local music store was having a sale yesterday and I picked up a Thunderbass by Guild all tube bass head and an 80’s epiphone p-bass. Total cost $250usd. The Guild is rough cosmetically, but it sounds great on guitar or bass. I prefer a vintage bass sound so it’s a keeper for me. Bass is also super good for 50 bucks and has no issues besides it needs to be cleaned and restrung.
https://imgur.com/gallery/lYw8sjT

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

I have a Thunderbass as well. It's a great loving amp. For a bit I was in a band quiet enough to get away with it on bass. Not what I normally play, but with flatwounds and an old 2x15 it was a killer vintage sound.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
I’m really happy with it so far. It has lots of character and seems to take pedals like a champ. I’ve got it paired up with that Eden d210t and it’s pretty loud. I think it would be loud enough for my group but I’m probably gonna drop it off with my amp guy to service and check it out before I start abusing it. I also need to buy some new knobs for it.

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

"i STarTed this TOIlEt Of A tHreaD aNd HAve sOmEHOW aVoidEd A red teXt"
A bit of a non-guitar flavour but here’s what I spent all of my money on recently:

1973 (ish) Logan String Melody String Synthesizer. Has a super vintage “string” sound to it and this particular one was apparently toured in a disco band. The lower 3 keys are hosed and there’s a drink can ring pull thing jammed under the case to stop a dodgy slider mashing down keys. It smells how it looks.

8 slot api lunchbox and api 512c preamp, api 550a EQ. Both classic bits of gear that sound amazing

DSI Sequential Prophet 6

A ‘reimagining’ of the classic prophet 5, aka my dream synth. Very excited to finally own one!

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

gbs but from 2004 posted:

A bit of a non-guitar flavour but here’s what I spent all of my money on recently:

1973 (ish) Logan String Melody String Synthesizer. Has a super vintage “string” sound to it and this particular one was apparently toured in a disco band. The lower 3 keys are hosed and there’s a drink can ring pull thing jammed under the case to stop a dodgy slider mashing down keys. It smells how it looks.

8 slot api lunchbox and api 512c preamp, api 550a EQ. Both classic bits of gear that sound amazing

DSI Sequential Prophet 6

A ‘reimagining’ of the classic prophet 5, aka my dream synth. Very excited to finally own one!

Those look fantastic - can we get a bit of a sample of the logan? I've never heard of one of those before.

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

"i STarTed this TOIlEt Of A tHreaD aNd HAve sOmEHOW aVoidEd A red teXt"

hexwren posted:

Those look fantastic - can we get a bit of a sample of the logan? I've never heard of one of those before.

https://youtu.be/a7p1UjWrlAw

here’s a quick n dirty demo featuring my finest playing

It pretty much only does one thing, the sound is kind of similar to an arp solina but not as good (and a LOT cheaper) and I’ve always been a massive fan of that weird early synth string sound, so it’s not something I’ll use every day but it’ll have its place! Plus it looks cool as hell

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
I really need to stop going through Amazon's Warehouse Deals.

Glen Burton Jazzmaster-esque thing with P90s. FYI, while it looks white, it is a very pale blue. I also have one in black because they were both cheap as hell. There's a seafoam green one on Amazon right now for $83, and I'd say it's worth it at that price.

Note, different knobs, but otherwise identical. Out of the box, the blue one plays pretty well, where the black one required a bit of work. Blue one was repackaged and came with a very nice Oscar Schmidt gig bag, black one came with a thin nylon bag. Luck of the draw when they come from the Warehouse Deals.

These are both future projects. Want to put mini-humbuckers into the black one, and the blue one is getting a custom pickguard added with a pair of DeArmond mustache pickups.

cdc
May 28, 2007

To you, Baldrick, the Renaissance was just something that happened to other people, wasn't it?
Bought these two today

The thing on the right is a WTF Fuzz from Rockett Pedals and it amazing. It's like Satan farting

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

cdc posted:

It's like Satan farting
Sounding like intended, then. :mmmhmm:

cdc
May 28, 2007

To you, Baldrick, the Renaissance was just something that happened to other people, wasn't it?

Wark Say posted:

Sounding like intended, then. :mmmhmm:

Yep, no complaints here. I'm all about satanic flatulence.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

cdc posted:

satanic flatulence
That's a doom metal band name if ever I saw one.

cdc
May 28, 2007

Siivola posted:

Maybe a 90's black metal compilation?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

cdc posted:

Yep, no complaints here. I'm all about satanic flatulence.

Siivola posted:

gently caress yeah! :rock:

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

New amp who dis?

Seriously this thing is fun as gently caress, it's so much easier to just plug in and go than my old elevenrack setup. I have 2 kids under 3, so getting time head out to the garage to fire up my dark terror is getting harder. Having this on my desk increases the chances that I might actually play guitar some time during any given week. And it sounds mint at bedroom volume.

Need to get one of those cheap rear end rechargable wireless kits from AliExpress for it. Also it's battery powered as well as DC, and makes for a pretty decent Bluetooth speaker when it's not facilitating bad Pink Floyd covers.

On that note:

Yet another $25 AliExpress pedal joins the gang. This dynacomp clone is surprisingly sweet for a dirt cheap no name. Got a phaser and a 5 band eq on the way, then I need to decide what gets cut. Probably the HM2 at this point.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Don Dongington posted:

New amp who dis?
A new challenger enters the ring! (That things looks awesome. Is it awesome?)

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Dr. Faustus posted:

A new challenger enters the ring! (That things looks awesome. Is it awesome?)

It does what the THR does, with a few extra amp options. It is. It has Bluetooth app control and audio in, which the THR10 does not. It also sounds a bit more present in the room, thanks to some clever phase tomfoolery related to their "wide" circuit, and the amp models are just a little bit better across the board.

It sounds GREAT with pedals in front - I've tested all of the ones on my board in the second pic, and it played nicely with all of them, particularly the EP Booster and the TS808 clone, which was a nice surprise.

The one thing the THR has which I wish this did is a combo delay/reverb effect, but it's livable without, and I have delay and reverb pedals I can use if I absolutely have to have both.

It does look a bit like your Grandma's Handbag, but the overall quality of the sounds that come out of it make up for that for the most part. It also costs a bit more than the THR ($50-100 here).

Edit: The Interface/USB soundcard bit works sweet with Win 10 too, drivers installed automatically and it just worked. Haven't tested in in Reaper yet to see if it does a DI signal along side the rig output like the Elevenrack does but ehhh.

Don Dongington fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Aug 9, 2019

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I bought guitar accessories. Check out these BALLS.

On the guitar:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Siivola posted:

I bought guitar accessories. Check out these BALLS.

On the guitar:

I loved ST/HB for a long, long time, but one day not so long ago I realized my fingers are pissy and weak and more importantly I have elbow tendinitis issues (from a host of things, not just guitar) and going back to standard gauges helped so much with my rhythm playing.

Oh, how I miss the chonk though. :sigh:

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
An unexpected purchase at the pawn shop, one of my white whales, too.

Harmony H82CR, made in 1985 by Samick. Non locking bridge with fine tuners and a locking nut behind the normal nut. Special truss rod nut so it can be adjusted without having to take the locking nut off.

Remarkably good physical shape, guessing it lived under a bed or in a closet for most of it's existence. Almost completely unplayable. Action too low, bridge not even close to the right position, buzzy frets everywhere. Probably why its not more worn. Be a nice weekend project to see if I can get it playable.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

A friend of mine was downsizing, so now I get to learn how to play this. :whip:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

So Math posted:

Enjoy your UFO sounds

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

So Math posted:

Enjoy haunting houses for fun!

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

rickiep00h posted:

I loved ST/HB for a long, long time, but one day not so long ago I realized my fingers are pissy and weak and more importantly I have elbow tendinitis issues (from a host of things, not just guitar) and going back to standard gauges helped so much with my rhythm playing.

Oh, how I miss the chonk though. :sigh:
Ernie Ball makes a 9–46 set among others, that seems like a lower-tension equivalent. They won't have all that chonk but they might help?

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

After playing my Vox AC30 for the last couple of months at band practice (and being totally obsessed with it) I decided that I needed a practice amp at home that could emulate the sound. Enter the Vox Adio Air GT I picked up used at guitar center today for $190. I wish it was a tad louder, but other than that the modeling of the AC30 is pretty drat good. Plus it fits on my desk.

With all the built in effects I can finally leave my pedal board at our practice space too so I don't have to lug it around.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Hopping on the Vox practice amp train

Grabbed this little guy so I can practice more late at night without disturbing anyone, and not having to go down into the basement where my office/studio is.

Really happy with it so far! The aux-in is fantastic for playing along with tracks.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos
Some further thoughts on the Peavey Vypyr VIP 2 now that it's gotten a bit of use:

- needs the footpedal; not unusable without it, but there's something to be said for easy patch switching.

- still too loud, lol (also why does vol knob go to 13?!)

- midrange is oddly muffly on many of the amps when above 3-4. Could be mimicking the actual amp controls, but I've found best sound has way more cut mids than I'm used to.

- FX variety is better than most similarly priced modeling amps. None of the effects are outstanding, but there's enough variety to cover tons of ground.

- while all the amps have 3 channels (clean, crunch, lead), feels like the crunch channels are mostly unnecessary. Too similar sounding across most of them imo, could've used one or two more amps instead.

- 7-string mode is hilarious. Pitches guitar down a fifth, so on an 8 string makes me sound like Black Tongue or Within the Ruins.

- Stoner, Sludge and Doom are a little harder to nail. Mostly due to only one TS and one Fuzz option. Haven't tried with pedals yet but I'm guessing it'll take a Big Muff or similar just fine.

- Acoustic sim shines on split coils/XBars

Overall thoughts have stayed pretty consistent. This is a sweet, small modern metal jam amp at a good cost. The VIP 1 may be better suited to practice (20w, 8"), but this can cover up to jam/small bar levels fine.

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head
I just bought this dumb pedal:

It sounds like a warmer version of an HM-2 I guess? Either way, I remember seeing this in the DOD catalog when I was a kid and always wanted one. Pretty stoked that it was in such good condition, it still had its box and battery door.

Gorewar fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 12, 2019

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar

Slothful Bong posted:

- still too loud, lol (also why does vol knob go to 13?!)

Because most of them go to 10, right, and Spinal Tap's goes to 11, and this one is 2 louder.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
my first pedal board after i mostly abandoned pedals 8 years ago or so
I've been gigging progressively more and actually have a set developed with the band, so I decided to graduate up from various duffel bags/lovely thrown together pedal set-ups.
I really can't be assed to play with power tools and lumber so I bought this Blackbird prefabricated board:

It has a gig bag you can just set on the stage and open up, plus "solderless" 1/4" in out jacks on the side to help internalize the mess.

that fuggin memory man needs a 24v so instead of the daisy chain I had to find a power brick that was small enough to fit under the board yet with sufficient 12v and 9v to power everything. Wound up with this Truetone 1-Spot deal that has 4 switchable 9v/12v outputs plus a couple of different ones that I think make your distortions real angry?

Nothing really exotic on the board, that green pedal is the Deep Trip “Kryptone” which is a pretty wide ranging fuzz pedal and can go from like 60s light fuzz to full blown sludgy stuff. I’ve kinda got it toned down to more of the former, like an overdrive with some extra kick. Might just sub that out and put the good ole SD-1 in its place. still need to shore up some of the excess with zip ties, but the whole thing is a load off my mind when im already a nervous performer.

still kinda miss just throwing a stomp box and a wah on the floor and going to town but i guess this is okay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Sold some stuff, bought some more stuff. Now I need to sell even more.

Mako Traditional TB-2, which is the same as the Lotus I have, both of which are made by Samick, who sold the same model as a Hondo, and all of them are copies of a Fender USA Bullet from the 80's.

With it's Lotus sibling

And the bitchin' 80's radio station sticker

Also put some cash down on this

But let's look closer

It was on their rack last fall for well over $2500, and when I told them it was a fake, they told me I was wrong, and it disappeared the next week. Now it's back out on the floor with a new price tag with fake old pricing, "replica" and the clearance sticker. This might be one of the better fakes I've seen, with the the only obvious tells being the frets being over the binding and the diamond inlay on the headstock being wonky. Less obvious are the poo poo electronics behind a misshapen control cavity cover.

Normally, I wouldn't buy a Chibson, but that's mostly because if I got one direct from China I'd be risking getting a real piece of poo poo. I played this one last year and liked it a whole lot. Other than being dirtier and missing a string, it's still as nice. Interested to see if the pickups are marked or not, I've seen Epiphone marked pickups in "higher end" Chibsons, and these sound pretty good.

For those worried about it being a fake, it will get marked as a fake when I bring it home, with the serial number and Made in USA stamps getting defaced as well. I don't really plan to resell this, but I'll take the steps to make sure it can't be used to rip someone off down the road like the guy the pawn shop bought it from did to them!