Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

Mr. Fowl posted:

It's a "Claustro-suit". Presumably, he's claustrophobic.

If accurate that is an amazing detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
I'm gonna miss that guy. So much that I am just playing an expy of him in a table top rpg now

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
https://twitter.com/papermagazine/status/1159481481162612737?s=19

Cool, but also hot

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

That's an interesting direction for the live-action MHA movie to take

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
Meg being a MHA fan was the coolest(hottest) thing she revealed a few months back

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/aitaikimochi/status/1159814250006663168

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

NEW VIGILANTES!

Eraserhead backstory time!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

And of course cats are included, because it wouldn't be a manga without cats in some fashion...

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Vinylshadow posted:

And of course cats are included, because it wouldn't be a manga without cats in some fashion...

It had already been established that Eraserhead loved cats.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Is there no chapter this week?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

I. M. Gei posted:

Is there no chapter this week?

shonen jump is off this week, no chapter of anything

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
But you get a really good Vigilantes chapter.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
This arc is going to be so gay. :allears:

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

It's kind of wild that Vigilantes is doing an Eraserhead backstory arc. Like, cloud guy was alluded to at the end of the 1A vs 1B arc and now it's getting followed up in a spin-off manga. I wonder how much Horikoshi and the Vigilante team talk back and forth about this stuff.

Also some trivia: https://twitter.com/CDCubed/status/1159949377655324672

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I love Young Present Mic

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

I still think it's weird that Eraserhead wastes his time being a teacher. I'd imagine in a world like that, people would pay top dollar to have a dude with a quirk like his on staff for security for people on the top level like presidents and kings. Because obviously the biggest threat to any top official is going to be some nutjob with a crazy quirk, and Eraserhead could stop probably most of them almost instantly

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Slightly Absurd posted:

I still think it's weird that Eraserhead wastes his time being a teacher. I'd imagine in a world like that, people would pay top dollar to have a dude with a quirk like his on staff for security for people on the top level like presidents and kings. Because obviously the biggest threat to any top official is going to be some nutjob with a crazy quirk, and Eraserhead could stop probably most of them almost instantly

eraserhead drags himself to work in a sleeping bag on the first day of school, he's not the guy looking to make top dollar

also it's really hosed up that you consider teaching to be "a waste of time"

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Rhonne posted:

I wonder how much Horikoshi and the Vigilante team talk back and forth about this stuff.

I'd say plenty considering we also got All Might and Tsukauchi stuff, and what's shaping up to be the lead-in to AFO's Nomu.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Slightly Absurd posted:

"why would anyone bother [DOING GOOD] instead of [MAKING A TON OF MONEY IN THE PRIVATE SECTOR]" :nallears:

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Green Intern posted:

I love Young Present Mic

past mic

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Aizawa is raising 20+ children and being Batman on the side, he's trying his best.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I'm still waiting for Future Mic.

Funky Valentine posted:

Aizawa is raising 20+ children and being Batman on the side, he's trying his best.

The poor man hasn't had a full nights sleep in years.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Slightly Absurd posted:

Weird how in My Hero Academia, the manga which talks about whether you're truly heroic if you're in it to make money, one of the most beloved characters spends most of his time teaching children instead of chasing profit

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Eraser is kind of a one-trick pony who basically is best in an ambush. I dunno if being a known quantity as a bodyguard for specific important people would capitalize on that rep much since planning for him pretty much completely eliminates his primary advantage.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Crasical posted:

"why would anyone bother [DOING GOOD] instead of [MAKING A TON OF MONEY IN THE PRIVATE SECTOR]" :nallears:

From my perspective it's the heroes who are evil.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Fabricated posted:

Eraser is kind of a one-trick pony who basically is best in an ambush. I dunno if being a known quantity as a bodyguard for specific important people would capitalize on that rep much since planning for him pretty much completely eliminates his primary advantage.

Yeah there's also this, a huge part of what Eraserhead does involves being as low-key as possible about his actual heroics. Remember that Midoriya had to take a while to remember who he was, when basically every other hero is an immediate essay of knowledge.

Being a teacher means his herowork can remain low paying and in the shadows, to the point where he actually dislikes the level of popularity/showbiz stylisation All Might had at the start.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

Fair points.

Crasical posted:

Making money isn't really mutually exclusive from [DOING GOOD], like the example I mentioned, protecting world leaders would definitely be doing a lot of good.

Elfgames posted:

eraserhead drags himself to work in a sleeping bag on the first day of school, he's not the guy looking to make top dollar

also it's really hosed up that you consider teaching to be "a waste of time"

Yeah, you're absolutely right about the "waste of time" remark. I definitely think it's a vastly underappreciated field. I guess I'd say I meant more, it's an idea he's obviously very resistant to, and he doesn't seem to particularly enjoy it outside of a few moments. I got the impression that he thought it was "a waste of time."

I still think a quirk like his, even outside of ambush situations, would still be an insanely valuable quirk in a world like that. And I suppose that also pretty much answers why he might want to be a teacher, he clearly has a ton of options for how he uses his abilities, so even if the teaching thing didn't work out, it's not like he doesn't have a ton of backup choices for ways to be Heroic and helpful to society. I can also see how he'd be very useful as a teacher to get his students to think outside of the box a bit and maybe not immediately resort to using their specific abilities in situations where they might cause more harm than good.

So hey, I feel like I understand the character a bit better now. Thanks guys, sorry I'm not the total monster you might've imagined me to be.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Eraserhead's ability is potent against villains specifically because it's unknown. It's full of extremely easy to exploit holes(requires line of sight, requires him to retain open eye contact, doesn't work on heteromorphic quirks), and is reliant on him being able to identify and functionally disable a target in seconds - both of these factors are immensely reliant on him using it offensively and preferably against a surprised or unprepared opponent who will be disoriented by their quirk suddenly shutting off for no reason and thus more susceptible to a takedown.

In a situation where someone would want to assassinate a political leader, they have all the prep time in the world and the bodyguards only have seconds to react. And they could just, you know, use a gun, or a bomb, or a heteromorphic quirk, all of which Eraserhead is only as good as a quirkless human being at stopping.

Hell, use that that Human Bomb joke character in the one issue of Vigilantes as an example - he could likely attend a political rally, get to the front row, and blow himself up before Eraserhead realized what was happening.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Aug 10, 2019

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Slightly Absurd posted:

Fair points.

Making money isn't really mutually exclusive from [DOING GOOD], like the example I mentioned, protecting world leaders would definitely be doing a lot of good.

Yeah, you're absolutely right about the "waste of time" remark. I definitely think it's a vastly underappreciated field. I guess I'd say I meant more, it's an idea he's obviously very resistant to, and he doesn't seem to particularly enjoy it outside of a few moments. I got the impression that he thought it was "a waste of time."

I still think a quirk like his, even outside of ambush situations, would still be an insanely valuable quirk in a world like that. And I suppose that also pretty much answers why he might want to be a teacher, he clearly has a ton of options for how he uses his abilities, so even if the teaching thing didn't work out, it's not like he doesn't have a ton of backup choices for ways to be Heroic and helpful to society. I can also see how he'd be very useful as a teacher to get his students to think outside of the box a bit and maybe not immediately resort to using their specific abilities in situations where they might cause more harm than good.

So hey, I feel like I understand the character a bit better now. Thanks guys, sorry I'm not the total monster you might've imagined me to be.

Chaos option: Name a good world leader :twisted:

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.

Sharkopath posted:

Gaddafi.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

Kanos posted:

Eraserhead's ability is potent against villains specifically because it's unknown. It's full of extremely easy to exploit holes(requires line of sight, requires him to retain open eye contact, doesn't work on heteromorphic quirks), and is reliant on him being able to identify and functionally disable a target in seconds - both of these factors are immensely reliant on him using it offensively and preferably against a surprised or unprepared opponent who will be disoriented by their quirk suddenly shutting off for no reason and thus more susceptible to a takedown.

In a situation where someone would want to assassinate a political leader, they have all the prep time in the world and the bodyguards only have seconds to react. And they could just, you know, use a gun, or a bomb, or a heteromorphic quirk, all of which Eraserhead is only as good as a quirkless human being at stopping.

Hell, use that that Human Bomb joke character in the one issue of Vigilantes as an example - he could likely attend a political rally, get to the front row, and blow himself up before Eraserhead realized what was happening.

Hey, I never said he'd be "perfect" at it. Even known, he's still a factor that they'd have to try and find a work-around, which would probably still stop a lot of half-baked plans in their tracks, but I understand that this is a shounen, and encounters would be pretty boring if a lot of them just ended with Eraserhead just staring at a dude while other people swoop in and subdue them, kinda like why nobody in dragon ball ever just combines a solar flare with a destructo-disc to just end a fight immediately

Slightly Absurd fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Aug 11, 2019

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

fidel castro

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sharkopath posted:

Trick question.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Slightly Absurd posted:

Hey, I never said he'd be "perfect" at it. Even known, he's still a factor that they'd have to try and find a work-around, which would probably still stop a lot of half-baked plans in their tracks, but I understand that this is a shounen, and encounters would be pretty boring if a lot of them just ended with Eraserhead just staring at a dude while other people swoop in and subdue them, kinda like why nobody in dragon ball ever just combines a solar flare with a destructo-disc to just end a fight immediately

One of Krillin's autocombos in FighterZ is exactly that because even the people that work on adjacent Dragon Ball stuff realize that'd be bonkers.

Regardless, the main issue with all of that is that Eraserhead's Quirk is woefully limited as said before. You can't really end an encounter with Erasure if, say, the person he's looking at relies on anything beyond their Quirk (natural reflexes and speed in Shigaraki and Toga's case, for instance, or a gun), if said Quirk is impossible to negate (heteromorphic Quirks) or if there's just too many for him to keep his eye on them at once.

Consider the main danger for UA, and the main danger in the manga in general, the League of Villains:
-As said before, Shigaraki and Toga are extremely fast and could move beyond Eraserhead's range of vision if he didn't restrain them first.
-Toga also doesn't rely on her Quirk for battle, and in fact, her Quirk had no offensive applications until this very arc.
-It's unclear how Erasure would interact with Twice's Double. Would it delete the copies if he looks at them? Or would it only work on the main body? If so, it'd be extremely easy to just put a wall of bodies in the way (was this shown before? I genuinely cannot remember).
-Gigantomachia's main danger isn't any engineered Quirks but his massive body and strength, which seem to come from a heteromorphic Quirk, and he's very much unrestrainable, making him a natural counter for Eraserhead.
-Mr. Compress and Dabi are hosed.

Horikoshi was actually extremely intelligent in how he wrote Eraserhead, his Quirk is a powerful thing but it's not a game-breaker, it can be stopped, it has clear limits, the series doesn't have to dance around it.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Obviously eraserhead should get a gun

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Blaze Dragon posted:

Horikoshi was actually extremely intelligent in how he wrote Eraserhead, his Quirk is a powerful thing but it's not a game-breaker, it can be stopped, it has clear limits, the series doesn't have to dance around it.

Which makes it even funnier that one of his current roles in the plot is using his quirk as a potential emergency restraint on a game-breaking, unstoppable quirk with no known limits that the series has to dance around to some extent. :v:

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Kanos posted:

Which makes it even funnier that one of his current roles in the plot is using his quirk as a potential emergency restraint on a game-breaking, unstoppable quirk with no known limits that the series has to dance around to some extent. :v:

Well we do know one limit to Eri's quirk - its a stockpiling quirk like Deku's, so it has a limit. After the Overhaul fight where she used up a ton of her power, her horn shrank back down to a nub. More horn equals more stored up time rewinding.

All those other things you said are still true, but it does have a limit before it runs out, and she hit it during the Overhaul finale.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

Blaze Dragon posted:

I realize all those limitations Eraserhead has, but I still contend he'd be very useful in a field like security. The argument against it you guys seem to be making seems almost like saying, "why do secret service guys wear body armor, when it won't do anything against something like a .50 cal or a rocket, etc?" Eraserhead doesn't have to be able to stop everything that comes his way to be a great asset to security, presumably his team would have other strong quirk users better suited to deal with those crazy outliers, but he'd be able to easily take down most small to mid-level threats, and even some pretty big ones better than a lot of other quirk users.

Again, I'm not saying the dude would be perfect at it. I'm just saying that if I were forming a team for some top-level security, I'd definitely want someone who could neutralize quirks, especially from a distance.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Eraserhead should surrender his eyes to the government, so that multiple quirk nullifying devices can be manufactured after they've been dissecting. We could put an end to the singularity by just installing beholder lamps that prevent children from firing radiation beams and other nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/loshka_toska/status/986711317078831104