Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Lid posted:

Huge news: dave says he has "turned the corner" on Taichi thanks to the G1

Dave is cancelled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I'm annoyed this morning's WOR immediately spoiled the G1 final before I could skip ahead to the B block finals section i wanted to listen to.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

That's Dango!

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
On his NECK!

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Why would you listen

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I will continue to act like I'm too good for Taichi matches while secretly enjoying them until he fully redeems himself by having a great match with Goto.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Dango Bango posted:

I'm annoyed this morning's WOR immediately spoiled the G1 final before I could skip ahead to the B block finals section i wanted to listen to.

i mean its a major event that happened and aired live, they're absolutely going to talk about it, this would be like getting mad they talked about raw on the tuesday podcast.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

STONE COLD 64 posted:

this would be like getting mad they talked about raw on the tuesday podcast.

I always get angry that they do its also fun these days to play the game on how long they can stall before having to talk about raw.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

STONE COLD 64 posted:

i mean its a major event that happened and aired live, they're absolutely going to talk about it, this would be like getting mad they talked about raw on the tuesday podcast.

Oh I totally admit it's my fault. I just wasn't expecting Bryan to lead in with a welcome right in to "Kota Ibushi has won the G1" and I couldn't pause/ skip forward fast enough to miss it.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Never understood why people who want to subscribe to an insider podcast network are surprised that they give away results for events that have happened.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012
Once Dave spoiled an NJPW show as it was happening while they recorded I knew I'd never be safe.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Subscribing to WON is a spoiler for a life: you will die alone

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Eat My Fuc posted:

Subscribing to WON is a spoiler for a life: you will die alone

Triumph the Insult-Comic Dog spoiled this joke for me 20 years ago :(

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
Baba Baba Baba BabaBabaBaba

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Dave is cancelled

He really is saying but not saying that Orange Cassidy is a mehhhhhhhhh. Buddy hes a Disco Inferno that can work. Just have LA Park hit him with chairs.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I laughed out loud when Bryan asked if this was Ricochet's worst match ever. Get that man some Helios tapes.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFV5Ws88fH4

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Lid: Dave is also notoriously meh on comedy wrestling, so it shouldn’t be a surprise.

OctoberCountry posted:

Dave “Delirious” Meltzer

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bryan: They decided they wanted to use this return to get heat. Even though this happens on a semi-annual basis, they still haven't figured after all these years... and by they I mean Vince.... they still haven't figured out that nobody gets angry at Sasha for this, they just think it's a low rent company full of low-lifes.

The contempt he had in that final part of the statement was pretty great.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

OctoberCountry posted:

B&V can't play songs but I wish WOR would.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tbf as fond as I am of Chikara it’s kind of a given that on any random show it’s gonna be 25% botchy Lucha from really green guys/students

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Sin Cara really hasn't gotten much better at this whole lucha thing, has he

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Punch McLightning posted:

Lid: Dave is also notoriously meh on comedy wrestling, so it shouldn’t be a surprise.

Which is weird, because good comedy wrestlers are guys who use character interaction and personality to get over and don't do crazy moves/take crazy bumps that much, so it means more when they do. Guys like Cassidy (and Colt Cabana, to use another example) have an old school work ethic in that way, and they'd slot into midcard/upper midcard roles very comfortably because they're good workers in the traditional sense. I also think Cody and co. have a better sense of how to book comedy guys than, say, Vince does.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/FO_VVerhei/status/1161410910205820928

I appreciate that every training school has their own traditions and gear. The NJPW Dojo has black trunks and Boston crabs, the Power Plant had dad jeans and steroids.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Three of those guys could've been huge deals.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
https://mobile.twitter.com/FO_VVerhei/status/1161416821888581632

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

CombineThresher posted:

Which is weird, because good comedy wrestlers are guys who use character interaction and personality to get over and don't do crazy moves/take crazy bumps that much, so it means more when they do. Guys like Cassidy (and Colt Cabana, to use another example) have an old school work ethic in that way, and they'd slot into midcard/upper midcard roles very comfortably because they're good workers in the traditional sense. I also think Cody and co. have a better sense of how to book comedy guys than, say, Vince does.

I also think to be a good comedy guy you have to have a super good understanding of what goes into a wrestling match. Because you have to know what goes into a match to be able to subvert it and make it funny.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The_Rob posted:

I also think to be a good comedy guy you have to have a super good understanding of what goes into a wrestling match. Because you have to know what goes into a match to be able to subvert it and make it funny.

Not inherently, as I doubt anyone would claim, say, Santino Marella was a top-tier worker even when he was doing his shooter gimmick in OVW, but high level workrate guys are often really good at comedy if they have any flair for character work at all. Think of Cabana or Regal or Taguchi or Liger.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

LividLiquid posted:

Jindrak did pretty good for himself.

O'Haire couldn't keep his hands off women and died a hair stylist

Palumbo decided riding motorcycles is safer and more lucrative than wrestling.

Stasiak, absolutely a potential phenom talent but came in at the worst possible time in the business.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

LividLiquid posted:

For a while Jindrak WAS a big deal in Mexico, even got a limited edition shoe from Nike

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Never knew that about Jindrak.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

coconono posted:

O'Haire couldn't keep his hands off women and died a hair stylist

which gave us the Observer headline reading in part: "Sean O'Haire dead, Smackdown unmoved"

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

LividLiquid posted:

Never knew that about Jindrak.

He also originally had Batista's spot in Evolution. Apparently got replaced because of his attitude, IIRC.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qupK_6NJQ6Q

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

El Gallinero Gros posted:

For a while Jindrak WAS a big deal in Mexico, even got a limited edition shoe from Nike

He’s semi-retired, rich as hell, and has a beautiful family. I’d say he’s doing good for himself.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Gaz-L posted:

Not inherently, as I doubt anyone would claim, say, Santino Marella was a top-tier worker even when he was doing his shooter gimmick in OVW, but high level workrate guys are often really good at comedy if they have any flair for character work at all. Think of Cabana or Regal or Taguchi or Liger.

Marella is someone I'd compare more to Grado, in that they get by on cleverness and good timing even if they aren't especially smooth in the ring.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
Dave absolutely right on Orange Cassidy

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

World class meltdown by Bryan while recounting Nitro on the latest B&V Show :allears:

On a different tangent, I really enjoyed the first episode of Karl Stern's new semi-regular series where he reads out/comments some of Dave Meltzer's obits/bios from the last thirty years or so. There's an amazing/depressing line from the Ed Gantner obit written in 1990 (paraphrased below):

Dave Meltzer posted:

In 10-15 years we are facing the prospect of a number of early deaths in this business

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Kinda sad they didn't do New Blood Rising as they teased but it fell on a bad weekend.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

They said they'll do New Blood Rising for their Thursday show this week instead of NXT and Superstars, and if NXT ends up having anything important or newsworthy happen then they'll catch up on it on Sunday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Awesome news, guess it's time for me to watch my first WCW PPV.