Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

What's the best place/book to start with Jim Thompson?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Kvlt! posted:

What's the best place/book to start with Jim Thompson?

I liked The Grifters and The Killer Inside Me is supposed to be great.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
man i started reading Postmodernism: Cultural Logic of Late Stage Capitalism but it was just way too academic/philosophy-speak for me to understand or enjoy. any recommendations for another book of similar subject matter that's more readable? i dont mind dense books but i dont want to look up 9 words in a 10 word sentence

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

thehandtruck posted:

man i started reading Postmodernism: Cultural Logic of Late Stage Capitalism but it was just way too academic/philosophy-speak for me to understand or enjoy. any recommendations for another book of similar subject matter that's more readable? i dont mind dense books but i dont want to look up 9 words in a 10 word sentence

David Graeber’s work is much more accessible and sounds similar. Check out Debt, the Utopia of Rules or Bullshit Jobs. They’re all kind of hovering around the same topic but I think Utopia of Rules is most accessible and interesting and gives you a sense of Graeber’s style, bias and themes. Debt is a really excellent work, in my opinion. It’s just a bit meaty to dive into if you can’t stand Graeber.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

tuyop posted:

David Graeber’s work is much more accessible and sounds similar. Check out Debt, the Utopia of Rules or Bullshit Jobs. They’re all kind of hovering around the same topic but I think Utopia of Rules is most accessible and interesting and gives you a sense of Graeber’s style, bias and themes. Debt is a really excellent work, in my opinion. It’s just a bit meaty to dive into if you can’t stand Graeber.

however, note that david graeber isn't a marxist

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

A human heart posted:

however, note that david graeber isn't a marxist

thats why his book is good

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
A year or two ago I re-read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings and fell in love all over again. Now, not being quite ready to re-re-read them but wanting something similar, I'm halfway through the second Wheel of Time novels (I read the first one years ago) and it's just not giving me what I want. I think it's the prose? The language is ordinary and forgettable. I confirmed my suspicions by reading a bit of Ivanhoe, another book I love, and the writing was much more what I wanted.

So, before I just go read Waverly instead, can anyone recommend a fantasy novel that doesn't have a modern, contemporary, boring writing style? I tried Spencer's The Faerie Queene but I'd really gone too far in the other direction; it's good but I can't read Elizabethan English casually enough to make it a light work of genre fiction.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Jack B Nimble posted:

A year or two ago I re-read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings and fell in love all over again. Now, not being quite ready to re-re-read them but wanting something similar, I'm halfway through the second Wheel of Time novels (I read the first one years ago) and it's just not giving me what I want. I think it's the prose? The language is ordinary and forgettable. I confirmed my suspicions by reading a bit of Ivanhoe, another book I love, and the writing was much more what I wanted.

So, before I just go read Waverly instead, can anyone recommend a fantasy novel that doesn't have a modern, contemporary, boring writing style? I tried Spencer's The Faerie Queene but I'd really gone too far in the other direction; it's good but I can't read Elizabethan English casually enough to make it a light work of genre fiction.

Book of the New Sun

e: vvv The Worm Ourobouros is a great choice

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Aug 14, 2019

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
The Worm Ouroboros, The Well at the World's End, even The Chronicles of Prydain.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Jack B Nimble posted:

The modern book that pulls this off best is Johnathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susannah Clarke. It's written in the voice of a regency-era writer, complete with imagined footnotes etc.

There's also a BBC miniseries that's very well done.

Past that older writers tend to have a good voice. Lud in the Mist by Hope Mirrlees or anything by Lord Dunsany (an actual Irish lord) http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/dun/swld/swld09.htm

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I bought one and I'll come back to complain later! But really, thanks all.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The modern book that pulls this off best is Johnathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susannah Clarke. It's written in the voice of a regency-era writer, complete with imagined footnotes etc.
The peak of this kind of thing is probably Pynchon's Mason & Dixon, which is not a fantasy novel but is definitely fantastical.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Aug 14, 2019

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

I read Well at the Worlds End a few years ago and really enjoyed it - found R A MacAvoy's Lens of the World shortly after which might scratch the same itch?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

It's been a while since I've recommended Tanith Lee in this thread, so: I recommend Tanith Lee. Try Night's Master, Cyrion, Red as Blood, or The Book of the Damned.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Sham bam bamina! posted:

The peak of this kind of thing is probably Pynchon's Mason & Dixon, which is not a fantasy novel but is definitely fantastical.

Yeah, a clairvoyant talking dog is introduced within the first 30 pages.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Franchescanado posted:

wait wtf why did nobody tell me this before?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Bilirubin posted:

That honestly is one of the least crazy things in it.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Bilirubin posted:

theres also a psychotic invisible robot duck that terrorizes a kitchen's chef...

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Franchescanado posted:

Oh so now this is a spoiler thread, great.

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

Selachian posted:

I'm a fan of Malazan myself, but it's very much a "love it or hate it" series, and as everyone will probably tell you, the first book is the worst (it was written about 10 years before the others and oh my god does it show). If you're interested and aren't put off by the size of the series, try at least to stick it out until Deadhouse Gates, the second book.

May I suggest Stephen R. Donaldson's "Mordant's Need" series (The Mirror of Her Dreams and A Man Rides Through)? It's probably Donaldson's most accessible stuff, and has a female protagonist, interesting characters, and an unusual mirror-based magic system.

To add to this, I'm reading The Way of Kings and it's fantastic! Definitely recommend.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Selachian posted:

May I suggest Stephen R. Donaldson's "Mordant's Need" series (The Mirror of Her Dreams and A Man Rides Through)? It's probably Donaldson's most accessible stuff, and has a female protagonist, interesting characters, and an unusual mirror-based magic system.

i havent read this but i have read his gap and thomas covenant series, could you tell me how much rape there is relative to those two

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
on a scale from "thomas covenant" (rape is a major plot point) to "gap" (one entire book is just about rape)

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

a mirror based magic system is just david copperfield, i'm not impressed

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I’m pretty sure Dickens wrote semi-realistic fiction, not fantasy.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
there's not enough rape in reality so his calling is to include more of it in all the fantasy worlds he conjures up in his head and writes about because he's perfectly normal

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

chernobyl kinsman posted:

i havent read this but i have read his gap and thomas covenant series, could you tell me how much rape there is relative to those two

Rape as a means of mind control is a major plot point, and is explicitly described. I discourage anyone and everyone from reading it.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Rape as a means of mind control is a major plot point, and is explicitly described. I discourage anyone and everyone from reading it.

lmao donaldson is such a fuckin weirdo

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Selachian posted:

The Mirror of Her Dreams was the first book I decided not to finish, when previously I would grimly push on to the end. The protagonist being a woman is not necessarily the mark of a good book.

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

thehandtruck posted:

for marxist cultural criticism that's readable for someone not already knee deep in this kind of poo poo, check out mark fisher's capitalist realism

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

wheatpuppy posted:

Other John Ringo that's not completely cringy:
Empire of Man series (starts with March Upcountry)
Looking Glass series (starts with Into the Looking Glass)

David Drake's Hammer's Slammer

Tanya Huff's Confederation series (starts with Valor's Choice)

tuyop posted:

I don’t know who or what that is but the Bobiverse books are fun and not bad.

Thank you guys for the recommendations! I read everything and enjoyed it.

Now I need some more recommendations.

Anything with several books in it would be great.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

spacetoaster posted:

The Murderbot trilogy.

The Expanse Series is some top notch trashy hard SF. The show is garbage but the first three or so books are quite good.

The Culture series is a bit dense but it’s alright!

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

tuyop posted:

The Murderbot trilogy.

The Expanse Series is some top notch trashy hard SF. The show is garbage but the first three or so books are quite good.

The Culture series is a bit dense but it’s alright!

Murderbot and the Expanse are good, I've already read them.

I just nabbed "Consider Phlebas" and will read it tonight.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I bought Jurassic Park because for some reason I’ve never read the book, even though the movie is one of my all times. I’m liking it a lot so far.

The book came with a rebate I can use on another Chrichton book. Is the second JP book as good as the first or should I just go with Sphere or something?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
yeah read lost world if you like jp

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Wasn't that one written specifically for adaptation into another movie? I haven't read it, but the movie sucks rear end.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Wasn't that one written specifically for adaptation into another movie? I haven't read it, but the movie sucks rear end.

probably, although it has almost nothing to do, plotwise, with the film, besides ian malcolm being the main character

despite having died at the end of the first book

still, it's aged better than his book about how climate change is a hoax or the one about Yellow Peril

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
i havent read it in years but iirc the lost world goes to even greater lengths than JP to prove that the whole idea of resurrecting dinosaurs was doomed from the start by including stuff like a mystery prion disease that's wiping them all out and the fact that none of the dinos can raise offspring because they're basically zoo animals with no experience in the wild. my impression was that Crichton got really mad about how not a single member of the reading public gave a poo poo about the Dangers of Man's Scientific Hubris theme in the first book and just thought cloned dinosaurs were cool as poo poo

e: oh, regarding Jurassic Park, ive always been impressed by how completely unlikeable every one of the characters is, especially compared to their counterparts in the movie. john hammond is a ruthless robber baron instead of a kindly grandfather figure, ian malcolm is the same guy but less funny and charming, and alan grant is just an rear end in a top hat to everyone for the whole book. even the kids kind of suck. it seems on the whole like an odd creative decision.

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Aug 26, 2019

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

spacetoaster posted:

C. J. Cherryh's Alliance-Union books are better than just about any other space opera.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Are there any good horror novels set in Vietnam during the war? I mean like, supernatural horror, genre stuff. Horror on top of how godawful the war was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

that's a bit crass don't you think? like i'm not gonna ask for a horror genre romp through the gas chambers either.