Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Luminaflare posted:

Wow, the RG Strike is a super fun build so far. The Banshee was mechanically amazing but a bit draining to build but I'm just thoroughly enjoying this one.

Now go hunt down the Skygrasper RG for the Sword and Launcher Striker Packs :v:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

everythingWasBees posted:

why does this have screws what the hell

Hey at the time screws were a godsend. Heck I can think of a few modern kits that could be improved with a screw or two.

As long as you're not gorilla'ing them with a full size driver, you can't beat a good mechanical fastener.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Now go hunt down the Skygrasper RG for the Sword and Launcher Striker Packs :v:.

I have it, got both together from a buy/sell group new in box for less than RRP! Now if only making the perfect strike didn't require an entire separate P-Bandai kit.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Luminaflare posted:

I have it, got both together from a buy/sell group new in box for less than RRP! Now if only making the perfect strike didn't require an entire separate P-Bandai kit.

You can still approximate a Perfect Strike with what comes in the Aile Strike and Skygrasper boxes; it won't be anime accurate, but still looks pretty good.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

RillAkBea posted:

Hey at the time screws were a godsend. Heck I can think of a few modern kits that could be improved with a screw or two.

As long as you're not gorilla'ing them with a full size driver, you can't beat a good mechanical fastener.

I had to order a screwdriver because I didn't have one in that size

I wanted to build it while my boyfriend built his first gunpla but oh well

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
Please teach me about action bases. What are the differences beyond the shape of the base itself? Are there any compatibility issues with newer bases and older kits, or the other way around?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

General Ironicus posted:

Please teach me about action bases. What are the differences beyond the shape of the base itself? Are there any compatibility issues with newer bases and older kits, or the other way around?

They're all standardized sizing, so you won't have any issues like that. Broadly speaking; AB1's are intended for Master Grade kits, AB2's are for High Grades and Real Grades. You can use either on each, but the relative sizing of the Action Bases are suited to those grades.

There's also the new Diver Gear Bases from the newest Build series that are screw-free and pretty decent for High/Real Grade kits.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
AB1 - Old 1/100 base
AB2 - Old 1/144 base
AB3 - Less adjustable, but let's you give your model a fancy background. Says it's for 1/144, but I heard claims that its compatible with 1/100.
AB4 - Its an AB5 with three times the base for extra stability or for making scenes with multiple kits
AB5 - New base for 1/100 and 1/144, has more options than the AB1 and 2

Personally, I stick entirely with AB5s because I see no reason not to.

Edit: The AB1 is still a perfectly good base, but I felt the AB2 had stability issues that the AB5 resolves.

Paper Kaiju fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Aug 14, 2019

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
AB5 is clearly superior and allowed me to hang Zakus upside down.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Yawgmoft posted:

AB5 is clearly superior and allowed me to hang Zakus upside down.

I know Zeon went fascist but you didn't have to make a Mussolini-use Zaku

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Paper Kaiju posted:

AB1 - Old 1/100 base
AB2 - Old 1/144 base
AB3 - Less adjustable, but let's you give your model a fancy background. Says it's for 1/144, but I heard claims that its compatible with 1/100.
AB4 - Its an AB5 with three times the base for extra stability or for making scenes with multiple kits
AB5 - New base for 1/100 and 1/144, has more options than the AB1 and 2

Personally, I stick entirely with AB5s because I see no reason not to.

Edit: The AB1 is still a perfectly good base, but I felt the AB2 had stability issues that the AB5 resolves.

The AB4 arms are also longer than the AB5 arms.

But yeah, excluding any MGs that are too heavy and need AB1, all hail AB4/5.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
Thanks for the help, I figured I was probably overthinking things.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I got a couple packages today, and one of them was like half a model kit so

https://imgur.com/a/Js4or6V

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
A Nu package arrived!

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

This Nu Gundam... is just for show!

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I can't wait to build it in 9 months time when I get the motivation to do so!

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Puddin posted:

I can't wait to build it in 9 months time when I get the motivation to do so!

I've had to stop buying any general release kits because my backlog is so full. I've bought a few Wing P-Bandai recently though because... obviously.

I need to work on this backlog so badly.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

EVGA Longoria posted:

I've had to stop buying any general release kits because my backlog is so full. I've bought a few Wing P-Bandai recently though because... obviously.

I need to work on this backlog so badly.

i bought the wing supernova and it shipped in two plastic bags marked A and B still, haha

probably the most demoralising backlog item i have, it doesn't even sit pretty in a box

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

Puddin posted:

A Nu package arrived!

The hell did you order from?

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Probably HLJ or some other JP based seller.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Yeah I ordered from Banzaihobby.com.

It actually shipped on the 6th of August so I guess I got lucky and got in on the first batch.

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

Nice I ordered from Usagundam so i'll likely have to email them to casually remind them that I ordered in a few weeks...

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lh1Ii662nJg

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
My P-Bandai Shenlong & Tallgeese showed up today and while putting them away, I made a terrifying realization: I've become one of those backlog guys. I only ever used to have one of two unbuilt kits until I learned about this limited-time stuff (that Barnes & Noble sale didn't help either).

Post your backlogs so I don't feel as bad/feel even worse about my pile of plastic crack.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Find one of the old posts from Bimmi or me to feel better about your decisions.

Edit: here

Midjack fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Aug 16, 2019

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Moai Ou posted:

My P-Bandai Shenlong & Tallgeese showed up today and while putting them away, I made a terrifying realization: I've become one of those backlog guys. I only ever used to have one of two unbuilt kits until I learned about this limited-time stuff (that Barnes & Noble sale didn't help either).

Post your backlogs so I don't feel as bad/feel even worse about my pile of plastic crack.

The journey of a thousand kits start with clipping one piece. Get to it fam.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
It's not a backlog of unbuilt model kits, its a collection of very thick artwork that rattles if you move it.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Don't have a picture on hand but I'm 99% sure this is the entirety of my backlog:

MG Dynames
MG Jegan
SD Gundam Cross Silhouette Sisquiede Titans
HG MS-06S Zaku II Char Red Comet Ver.
HG Zaku II Type C-6/R6
HG Narrative A-packs
HG Endless Waltz Wing Zero Custom

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
My backlog right now is nightmare fuel

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
I was good about keeping my backlog small, then I just got in a big preorder shipment, then there was the B&N sale, then my P-Bandai kits from Bluefin came in, and now I'm drowning in kits. I'll take a picture of it when I get home so I can receive proper shaming.

I'm working through it chronologically, and am just finishing up the RG Banshee Norn. After that and the original RG Unicorn, I'm glad I declined to get the RG Full Armor Unicorn, because I dont think I've got another one of those left in me.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
Has anyone received their Metal Gear Rex model from Shoestringmedia yet? My order is way passed the delivery estimate and they haven’t responded to my emails.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Old Swerdlow posted:

Has anyone received their Metal Gear Rex model from Shoestringmedia yet? My order is way passed the delivery estimate and they haven’t responded to my emails.

Pretty sure everyone else already got their refunds by now.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Never got a Rex, never got an email from Shoestring, and they won't return my money.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Me starting the video: "I'm sure it's a great kit but that title's probably just clickbaity hyperbole"
Me 20 minutes in: :tviv:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Quick question: If I'm not gonna be painting or even doing a topcoat, what's my best option for panel lines, and if that's some variety of marker, how do I stop them from gumming up/drying out like they used to when I was doing gunpla a decade ago?

The last few kits I did back then (and halfway through the RG Tallgeese now) I've sharpened up a technical pencil as fine as I could, but on the Tallgeese the lines are cut fine enough that I can't get the pencil down to the bottom of the groove so I end up with a weird-looking double line.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

My backlog:

MG Nu ver Ja
1/100 Barbatos Lupes
HG rx-78-2 revive
HG chars zaku 2 origin ver
HG Reginlaze Julia *2
Fixing up a bunch of old kits
No Scale Banshee head bust/action base
Lego Creator Lunar Lander

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Phy posted:

Quick question: If I'm not gonna be painting or even doing a topcoat, what's my best option for panel lines, and if that's some variety of marker, how do I stop them from gumming up/drying out like they used to when I was doing gunpla a decade ago?

The last few kits I did back then (and halfway through the RG Tallgeese now) I've sharpened up a technical pencil as fine as I could, but on the Tallgeese the lines are cut fine enough that I can't get the pencil down to the bottom of the groove so I end up with a weird-looking double line.

https://www.amazon.com/GSI-Creos-Gu...ps%2C157&sr=8-1

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Glad that both the Nu and Sazabi were winners. It's always nice when both suits in a pair are good.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008

grassy gnoll posted:

Never got a Rex, never got an email from Shoestring, and they won't return my money.

I just requested a refund through Amazon customer service, not through the seller, and they did it instantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Darth Walrus posted:

Glad that both the Nu and Sazabi were winners. It's always nice when both suits in a pair are good.

Still sad about my Sazabi working with a hackjob inner frame designed for a kit half its size.