Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I know that the term Isekai has existed since at least 2003.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Are we talking about stuff like FY or "actual" Isekai?

I don't think I've seen an anime actually called an Isekai. "Character goes to another world and is worshiped and gets a harem" sounds like Fushigi Yuugi but nobody called that Isekai. Isekai seems to be used to describe a recent trend of really bad stories that I hear people complain about constantly like Shield Hero.

I figured there had to be something that marked these stories as distinctly different from FY or Inuyasha or other stories from 20 years ago.

isekai literally just means "another world" so it's pretty broad as to what can be included. a lot of modern versions are recycling the same tropes but i wouldn't say they alone should get to define the genre as a whole. though even with an ungenerous interpretation of isekai requiring harems and whatnot, you can see things like the leads in Escaflowne and Inuyasha run into multiple romantic interests through the course of their series.

anyway the only real difference between old isekai and modern stuff is the term/genre wasn't a concept at the forefront of discussion before a certain point, which is why you see a lot of people retroactively categorizing stuff as isekai because it fits this framework that we've now built out. the uh, complex framework of "do they go to or come from another world" lol. isekai can be kind of a useless categorization imo.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

I know that the term Isekai has existed since at least 2003.

It's much older (I've found as early as 1979 for story titles) but the current popularization of the term stems from the early 00s.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

dogsicle posted:

isekai literally just means "another world" so it's pretty broad as to what can be included. a lot of modern versions are recycling the same tropes but i wouldn't say they alone should get to define the genre as a whole. though even with an ungenerous interpretation of isekai requiring harems and whatnot, you can see things like the leads in Escaflowne and Inuyasha run into multiple romantic interests through the course of their series.

anyway the only real difference between old isekai and modern stuff is the term/genre wasn't a concept at the forefront of discussion before a certain point, which is why you see a lot of people retroactively categorizing stuff as isekai because it fits this framework that we've now built out. the uh, complex framework of "do they go to or come from another world" lol. isekai can be kind of a useless categorization imo.

Fair enough. That's good to know. Thank you.

Speaking of useless categorizations though, what do you all think of the term battle shounen? It encompasses some very radically different series but people have assumptions about a series if you say it's a battle shounen. Sometimes it's fair other times it's not. Inuyasha is nothing like Dragon B all Z for example but both are "battle shounen." But One Piece and Naruto and Bleach all have pretty similar tropes and cliches.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Just shonen series where the main tool of plot progression is fights.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Flame of recca is a battle shonen one piece isn't

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
One piece is definitely a battle shonen lol.

The problem is people place a positive or (usually) negative connotation on genre titles.

Something like Dr. Stone, or Death Note are what I would call not Battle Shonen.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Aug 11, 2019

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i don't think its a negative but one piece has tons of adventuring in it and that moves a lot of the plot. the adventuring is one of the reasons i love skypiea

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Jose posted:

i don't think its a negative but one piece has tons of adventuring in it and that moves a lot of the plot. the adventuring is one of the reasons i love skypiea

This is probably why 'Battle Shounen' isn't a reliable genre term, not counting that shonen isn't a genre in the first place. But One Piece is largely about people solving all their problems by punching them and Skypeia being what it is is basically the only time in the entire story where exploration and discovery were major themes. Not saying Luffy and the Gang aren't doing those things now, but it's far more secondary to each arc's plot than the forefront.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

skypeia was a big battle royale with 3 factions. the whole vearth segment was basically one big fight

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
7Deadly sins

I'm mostly posting this due to the hilarious typo.

"O Heroes thine hearts etched by seven cars."

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Escanor is still the only good thing about this manga.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Better get in there quick before I accidentaly kill the final boss. He really is the best.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Jose posted:

the adventuring is just getting to the place where the big fights happen

I guess you could say that's "moving the plot" but the big emotional climaxes are always big series of fights

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i would say that OP is a mix of an adventure-comedy shonen like the original Dragon Ball, and a battle shonen

like it's not really fully either of those things, but you can't say it doesn't have one foot firmly in either

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

the adventuring is just getting to the place where the big fights happen

I guess you could say that's "moving the plot" but the big emotional climaxes are always big series of fights

the adventuring also provides context to the fights so it's an integral part of the story

like what if dbz went from goku vs vegeta to goku vs freeza with nothing in between

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Yinlock posted:

the adventuring also provides context to the fights so it's an integral part of the story

like what if dbz went from goku vs vegeta to goku vs freeza with nothing in between

Approximately 80 less episodes.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

New Chainsawman.
https://readms.net/r/csm/034/6115/1

What a bunch of crazies!
Oh and dragging out Himeno's devil like that? Dick move Snake lady!

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
chainsawman is loving wild

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Huh. So the Snake can spit out stuff it eats. Wonder if any of these new characters will last.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
this guy likes drawing hands even more than horikoshi

profileusername
Mar 2, 2019

Some cool new devilmen characters. Don't expect them to last too long though.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Oxxidation posted:

this guy likes drawing hands even more than horikoshi

Horikoshi actually really hates hands

You want to see hands? Read Juju.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

TriffTshngo posted:

chainsawman is loving wild
"The Devilman of Violence" would be a sweet name for Scurll. That design is great anyway.

He's not a plague doctor he'd plague doctored!

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Chainsawman just casually introducing a loving street shark, I love it

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Horikoshi actually really hates hands

You want to see hands? Read Juju.

Horikoshi loves hands, what he hates are the hands on Shigaraki's costume.

Which is why they're gone now.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Shadowlyger posted:

Horikoshi loves hands, what he hates are the hands on Shigaraki's costume.

Which is why they're gone now.

See: everyones arms and hands getting wrecked and otherwise mangled.
Almost all of Deku's existence until recently was all about loving up his arms and hands.

Horikoshi has hand issues

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
It's a metaphor for overworked mangakas everywhere

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
The Last Saiyuki's last chapter was pretty much what you'd expect of a cancelled series. :shrug:
I did like the designs in the end though.

Why did Chainsawman ignore Power and Denji in his introductions?

Edit: Huh, it feels like We Never Learn is nearing an ending. But I can't imagine it ending already.

Darth TNT fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Aug 19, 2019

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the old guy in chainsawman was breaking down the other devils in case they went rogue and had to be killed later. no need to do that with denji and power, because if they step out of line he’ll snuff them himself

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Man I'm sad The Last Saiyuki ended. I mean the writing was on the wall for a while now. But man this really felt like a dagger through the heart. Look here assholes! This is what we could have had! But no! Gotta push that generic trash that is Samurai 8 some more.

At least it ended on a good note and didn't rush to an incomplete ending. I prefer cancelled series to end on a note of "And they had lots of adventures afterwards"

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Darth TNT posted:

Edit: Huh, it feels like We Never Learn is nearing an ending. But I can't imagine it ending already.

WNL has always had a relatively short shelf life, since it started in everyone's third year. If Tsutsui had intended for it to be Nisekoi-level interminable, they would have started as first-years.

Plus, you never know! Maybe everybody bombs their tests and get held back a year!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Sequel series where Nariyuki's a teacher, Sensei is now the principal and they have to hide their secret forbidden love.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Aug 19, 2019

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

They could easily drag it out for at least a few more years by slowing time a bit.
But at the same time, I kinda like the idea of a romcom series ending on it's own terms and not just frustratingly continues while keeping the status quo.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Speaking of We Never Learn, is it on break or has the usual group dropped it? I haven't seen new chapters in a couple weeks.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Just read it free and legit.

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/updates

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I was unaware, thanks for that.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Mulderman posted:

They could easily drag it out for at least a few more years by slowing time a bit.
But at the same time, I kinda like the idea of a romcom series ending on it's own terms and not just frustratingly continues while keeping the status quo.

This I agree with very much. I prefer things to end when they should and We never learn having had clear progression is what helps it being good.
But with its popularity I assumed that they would drag it out some more, so I'm intrigued to see where this is going. :allears:
I take no one here has heard anything about it ending?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2019-08-20/daisuke-moriyama-mourning-bride-manga-cancelled/.150149

I dunno if anyone was following this manga in here but what the gently caress happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i dont know thart series but it sounds like the author was probably being a prima donna, same reason gash bell author doesnt get work any more ( though animal land sucked, i was enjoying vector ball untill it got canned)