Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

dupersaurus posted:

They’re weird for turning blocks, though. Around 10” square and 2” thick. Plus I’m not interested in turning

Not at all, sounds like a shallow bowl blank. Common for turning fruit bowls, center trays, shallow dishes. Which way does the grain go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

JEEVES420 posted:

Not at all, sounds like a shallow bowl blank. Common for turning fruit bowls, center trays, shallow dishes. Which way does the grain go?

I’m pretty sure along one of the long edges, but it’s hard to tell with the wax. But they were (to me) surprisingly cheap for such big chunks for walnut and cherry — the walnut looks like its part live edge — so I may be in for a surprise.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Its just someones cutoff from a board they worked to make a little back on it they were otherwise going to toss

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Hey all, so I saw this sale, 33% off and wanted your thoughts:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hitachi-10-in-Carbide-Tipped-Blade-15-Amp-Table-Saw/1000178999

It has a nice gear-driven fence so it stays fairly true when adjusted, and the grizzly contractor saw I was going to buy has very similar stats and is 40 bucks more (and 200 miles away).

Should I avoid this because it's a hitachi?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Mr. Mambold posted:

Probably vinyl altogether or some substance that isn't absorptive. I'd go with bartop epoxy if you're bound and determined to go wood. You can probably repurpose some of your own house's larch cladding too.

It's more that I have lots of appropriately sized pieces of MDF reclaimed from a long-ago project.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Jaded Burnout posted:

It's more that I have lots of appropriately sized pieces of MDF reclaimed from a long-ago project.

Rat piss on mdf is God's own opinion imo.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Covering the MDF with Formica/laminate/melamine is probably the best option because MDF hates moisture and it’s easy enough. Contact cement might blow your house up, so do it outside. My local supplier sells damaged/odd color sheets for real cheap or even gives them away sometimes.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Blindeye posted:

Hey all, so I saw this sale, 33% off and wanted your thoughts:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hitachi-10-in-Carbide-Tipped-Blade-15-Amp-Table-Saw/1000178999

It has a nice gear-driven fence so it stays fairly true when adjusted, and the grizzly contractor saw I was going to buy has very similar stats and is 40 bucks more (and 200 miles away).

Should I avoid this because it's a hitachi?

i have this table saw and i've posted my thoughts on it in the DIY Tools thread. i'm still using it, never had any real issues. the stock miter gauge is not great but not horrible. You might want to replace it with a better one if you get one.

i think i scored mine for 300 on sale (2 years ago) so that's a good price.

according to GJ you might be able to score a clearance contractor dewalt table saw DWS779 for 150 or 200?

see last page here:
https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=411213&page=20

although one thing i didnt like about the dewalt table saws (when i was shopping) was how close the saw blade is to the front of the saw, almost no infeed at all.

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Aug 19, 2019

Zarikov
Jun 20, 2004

Metal Gear? Metal Gear? Metal Gear!
Dinosaur Gum
Now that I'm up and moving and getting some projects started, I've decided it's overdue to invest in some kind of saw dust management system. Unfortunately I have *no* idea what to look for here. My dad's idea of dust management when I was a kid was "open the garage door".

My workshop is a smallish basement, which shares space with our hot water tank, clothes washer and dryer, and furnace... I would prefer something that won't take up a bunch of floor space or ideally could be hung from the ceiling. As-is the power tools that have dust vents I can hook up to my little shop vac, but at the end of the day it can only do so much.

Venting out of the basement by window is an option as well. I'm thinking hanging some 2x4s and tacking some plastic sheeting up to shield the furnace and hot water tank would be good too. Any thoughts?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Mr. Mambold posted:

Rat piss on mdf is God's own opinion imo.

I don't really know what this means but I'm assuming it's "that's a bad idea", which was my thinking also hence asking for optimum sealant options.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Covering the MDF with Formica/laminate/melamine is probably the best option because MDF hates moisture and it’s easy enough. Contact cement might blow your house up, so do it outside. My local supplier sells damaged/odd color sheets for real cheap or even gives them away sometimes.

Given the amount of push back here I'm now thinking about other materials for the Primary Piss Zone (PPZ). Thanks all!

simble
May 11, 2004

I've really liked this little guy and it takes up no floor space:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AU0FZPA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It can be wired up to 120 or 240 and it sucks in a good way.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Zarikov posted:

Now that I'm up and moving and getting some projects started, I've decided it's overdue to invest in some kind of saw dust management system. Unfortunately I have *no* idea what to look for here. My dad's idea of dust management when I was a kid was "open the garage door".

My workshop is a smallish basement, which shares space with our hot water tank, clothes washer and dryer, and furnace... I would prefer something that won't take up a bunch of floor space or ideally could be hung from the ceiling. As-is the power tools that have dust vents I can hook up to my little shop vac, but at the end of the day it can only do so much.

Venting out of the basement by window is an option as well. I'm thinking hanging some 2x4s and tacking some plastic sheeting up to shield the furnace and hot water tank would be good too. Any thoughts?

Are you looking for just air scrubbers or active dust collection? What kind of tools are you using?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I need a proper jigsaw, is there anything to know beyond "get whatever 6 amp is on sale at the store that day" plus low-TPI blades?

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Zarikov posted:

I think the dust collector that simble shared, or one similar would be perfect that can be mounted to the wall or taken around with you. They are re-branded under a bunch of different places, but Rockler, Shop Fox, even Wen and Harbor Freight have versions of these.

I would also add one of these to the ceiling to pull the fine stuff out of the air. I've got one, and it works great. It even has a time that you can select from the remote which is perfect. When I'm done, I just kick on the timer, and walk away when I'm done with a project and it scrubs the air.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00LPD9BDI/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_5TSwDbR937GPA

Huxley posted:

I need a proper jigsaw, is there anything to know beyond "get whatever 6 amp is on sale at the store that day" plus low-TPI blades?

Everything I've read and heard is Bosch on both. I've got an older Bosch corded jigsaw and their blades, and it's been such an improvement over the Hitachi I had previously.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Falco posted:

Everything I've read and heard is Bosch on both. I've got an older Bosch corded jigsaw and their blades, and it's been such an improvement over the Hitachi I had previously.

I've been using this garbagey B&D job in a power so low they don't even make them any more, so anything will be better than that. Thanks!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Contact cement might blow your house up, so do it outside.

Say what now?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
What are the dimensions of rat piss thing?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

shovelbum posted:

What are the dimensions of rat piss thing?

Undefined at this point, but something in the region of 1x2 feet.

The Extremely High Piss Zones (XHPZs) will be removable tubs of one kind of another filled with absorbent stuff, but a couple of them have a habit of just pissing wherever from time to time, and so the main floor is what I'll need to cover.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 19, 2019

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

That Works posted:

Say what now?
The main solvents in it are toluene and acetone-both very flammable. Toluene has the added danger of being heavier than air and so it tends to creep along the floor and occasionally find pilot lights. Probably not a huge huge concern unless you’re doing a whole countertop or something, but it’s a danger to be aware of.

E: toluene also will cause brain damage and dementia. It is (or at least used to be) one of the solvents in BriWax which is probably part of why so many antique restorers are slap crazy.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 19, 2019

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

The main solvents in it are toluene and acetone-both very flammable. Toluene has the added danger of being heavier than air and so it tends to creep along the floor and occasionally find pilot lights. Probably not a huge huge concern unless you’re doing a whole countertop or something, but it’s a danger to be aware of.

Good to know! Thanks

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Jaded Burnout posted:

Undefined at this point, but something in the region of 1x2 feet.

The Extremely High Piss Zones (XHPZs) will be removable tubs of one kind of another filled with absorbent stuff, but a couple of them have a habit of just pissing wherever from time to time, and so the main floor is what I'll need to cover.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/full-size-20-gauge-18-x-26-sanitary-open-bead-rim-stainless-steel-bun-pan-sheet-pan/407FULLSS.html ?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

:thunk:

Not a terrible idea, but I'd be concerned about them losing heat too quickly, especially as we move into winter. I'm particularly aiming for a surface that'll be kind to their feeties too.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've made wood watertight by using heavy application of silicone sealant. I used it for frogs and for a chameleon, I'm sure it'll work for rats. Get the huge contractor-size tubes and a palette knife and lay down like at least a 1/8" thick application. Of course you will not get it perfectly smooth, you can try using brushes for a smoother finish but that will mean doing several coats. Use only acquarium silicone: some stuff like "bathroom" silicone has antifungal additives that are probably but not definitely harmless to pets.

Silicone has the added benefit of not being super toxic if they chew on it.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Leperflesh posted:

I've made wood watertight by using heavy application of silicone sealant. I used it for frogs and for a chameleon, I'm sure it'll work for rats. Get the huge contractor-size tubes and a palette knife and lay down like at least a 1/8" thick application. Of course you will not get it perfectly smooth, you can try using brushes for a smoother finish but that will mean doing several coats. Use only acquarium silicone: some stuff like "bathroom" silicone has antifungal additives that are probably but not definitely harmless to pets.

Silicone has the added benefit of not being super toxic if they chew on it.

This seems like the best idea so far. Forget using a brush though, squirt a bunch on and use a big cheap putty knife like you said to spread it quick. Or just use a board scrap that is the full width. Wear gloves, have some paper towels handy.

I guess you're going to put wood shavings you can throw away or something else down to soak up the piss over the watertight areas?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I guess you're going to put wood shavings you can throw away or something else down to soak up the piss over the watertight areas?

You'd think, but no. If I put something too litter-like they'll chuck it around and/or piss/poo poo on it more, because they've been trained to poo poo in litter boxes (it's hard to do the same for pissing since it's difficult to correct in the moment). I'll be adding fleeces but they'll be dragged around too.

Basically I have to work on the assumption that they'll clear whatever I may put there that isn't nailed down, so to speak. Standing pools will been mopped up as and when I see them.

Putting loose litter on the floor also makes it much harder to clean since you're then dealing with solid things that need sweeping out of corners rather than just wiping a surface down.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Aug 20, 2019

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Hello woodworkers

I'm fairly new to the hobby but have started off with a few projects

First was a side table for my partner. There's a few changes I'd make, primarily to the height adjustment setup to allow it to be better braced on the top bit. It's all just lovely pine from Bunnings (Australian Lowes is probably the best comparison), it was warped as hell and an absolute prick to get right.

[url="Girlfriend needed a specific table https://imgur.com/gallery/egJsPVi"]table[/url]

Second is a tea box for my mum, it's a belated mother's day present. My parents live about 1600km away (they're in Bundaberg, QLD and I live in Sydney) and are visiting in a few weeks. The box sides are rengas and silky oak, the bottom and lid are some New Guinea wood I can't identify the writing on (looks like Zaria or Zalaga or something?)

Box gallery

The box is still in progress, I've got some 8mm cherry dividers to put in yet and some brass hardware. I had a good aliexpress clasp to use but the matching hinges never arrived so I picked some new ones up from my hardwood store. Some of the finger joins are dogshit, my partner's dad "helped" with it while I was building it.

I've got access to a laser cutter/engraver but haven't learnt how to program it yet, it's on the list of things to do.

I still need a bunch of stuff, specifically a table saw and a planer as I've got a few barbeque platters and a butcher's block to build over the next few months, I got some red gum, zebrano, wenge, mountain ash and some leftovers from the tea box to use up :D at this point I've got access to both but so it's just a matter of finding time

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Where do you guys go for design inspiration? In our house there's a clear need for some new end tables by the sofa in the TV room. I want them to have a cabinet on the bottom to hide away random books, some of my wifes knitting stuff etc and a single pull out drawer on top for remotes, glasses, etc and a clean top with no split levels etc so we can put lamps, glasses, plates etc on them. Wife wants them in all wood (ie, no paint) so am thinking frame and panel construction.

I know the relative dimensions of what I want to make and where it's going to live, but need some inspiration on how to make it look nicer than just a clean wood file cabinet looking thing if possible.

Zarikov
Jun 20, 2004

Metal Gear? Metal Gear? Metal Gear!
Dinosaur Gum

JEEVES420 posted:

Are you looking for just air scrubbers or active dust collection? What kind of tools are you using?

The main tools generating dust would be... table saw, miter saw, router, jointer and planer. Then the orbital and belt sanders. I assume by active dust collection you mean something like, plugging a shop vac directly into my orbital sander (which sorta works I think) and air scrubbers are like this thing that got posted: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00LPD9...U_5TSwDbR937GPA ?

I'm thinking if I understand this correctly a cost effective means might be to just get a ceiling mount air scrubber for fine dust, then just try to integrate the shopvac into my existing tools that accept it... which I suspect I'll need some kind of mounting hardware to make less of a hassle to use.

Thanks all, this is great reference. Thinking I'll definitely go for the ceiling air scrubber to start with.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Zarikov posted:

The main tools generating dust would be... table saw, miter saw, router, jointer and planer. Then the orbital and belt sanders. I assume by active dust collection you mean something like, plugging a shop vac directly into my orbital sander (which sorta works I think) and air scrubbers are like this thing that got posted: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00LPD9...U_5TSwDbR937GPA ?

I'm thinking if I understand this correctly a cost effective means might be to just get a ceiling mount air scrubber for fine dust, then just try to integrate the shopvac into my existing tools that accept it... which I suspect I'll need some kind of mounting hardware to make less of a hassle to use.

Thanks all, this is great reference. Thinking I'll definitely go for the ceiling air scrubber to start with.

Woodcraft has a 25% off on dust collection accessories till the end of the month. Also look at dust separators for either a trash can or 5 gallon bucket to extend the use of the shop vac.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

JEEVES420 posted:

Woodcraft has a 25% off on dust collection accessories till the end of the month. Also look at dust separators for either a trash can or 5 gallon bucket to extend the use of the shop vac.

Yup. I have one of those ~$20 or so plates that sits on top of a 30g steel trash can to turn it into a cyclone for a 4" dust collector setup. I've emptied it out 4-5x so far and am not even 1/4 of the way full on the bag on my DC system. Plus it screens out anything big that might get through and ding around in your DC impeller.

Very easy to empty out and well worth it imo if you've got a permanent DC setup in place. You could go with a more expensive cyclone but I'm not really even sure why you would.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

That Works posted:

Where do you guys go for design inspiration?

I mostly just use Google image search. It also helps to play around with designs in a 3D modeling program, or on paper.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

That Works posted:

Where do you guys go for design inspiration? In our house there's a clear need for some new end tables by the sofa in the TV room. I want them to have a cabinet on the bottom to hide away random books, some of my wifes knitting stuff etc and a single pull out drawer on top for remotes, glasses, etc and a clean top with no split levels etc so we can put lamps, glasses, plates etc on them. Wife wants them in all wood (ie, no paint) so am thinking frame and panel construction.

I know the relative dimensions of what I want to make and where it's going to live, but need some inspiration on how to make it look nicer than just a clean wood file cabinet looking thing if possible.
I start with the overall dimensions and work in from there-work from mass to details. Functional requirements should dictate the basic shape and structure of the piece, and then throw whatever style you want on top. You know you want a drawer on top and a cabinet door below. How big does the drawer need to be? Should it be on little legs or sit on a moulded base? How big should those be? The size of the base and the drawer is going to tell you how much space is left over for the cabinet. If the door would be basically square you might want to do two doors that meet in the middle instead of one big door. For some reason we seem to like things that look taller than they are wide. Make it mahogany or walnut with little turned feet and ebony inlay and trim and it’s Empire/William IV/Biedermeier. Put satinwood cross banding around the top and drawer front and it’s federal. Do it in brown oak and simple frame and panel and it’s English country/arts and crafts. Same thing with tapered feet in cherry and it’s shaker etc etc.

As far as resources, looking at glossy decorator magazines (House Beautiful and Veranda are probably the best. Architectural Digest is 98% ads and 2% mansions) helps sometimes to have something to react to, and sometimes you see something good. 1stdibs.com has loads of stuff from all sorts of periods and it’s pretty searchable. Look at a bunch of whatever style you like and you’ll start to notice the details that make it Arts and Crafts or Federal or w/e. Looking online at manufacturers helps too sometimes. Plenty of factory furniture is ugly as sin, but stuff like Stickly or Thomas Moser are good to look at for a slightly more contemporary take on Arts and Crafts/Shaker. Nothing wrong with copying as long as you copy something good.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I mostly just use Google image search. It also helps to play around with designs in a 3D modeling program, or on paper.

I've been looking for a free modeling program to visualize the grain through some larger odd shaped sculptures, any recs?

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

GIS while at work. I also like to go to furniture stores, if I see part of a piece I like I can inspect it to see how they did it and then will incorporate it into a design. I usually do really rough designs on paper to get the sizing and general idea of material but usually just have the "image" of the finished product in my mind. 3D modeling programs can help with building it and give a render of the design but takes time to do. I will only do that when I need to show a design for approval before building.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I've been looking for a free modeling program to visualize the grain through some larger odd shaped sculptures, any recs?

I use Blender, which use to have a pretty awful interface, but with 2.8 it's a bit better. I know plenty of people are fond of SketchUp as well.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Solidworks is v good but also v expensive. I think Fusion360 may have some capability?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

McSpergin posted:

Solidworks is v good but also v expensive. I think Fusion360 may have some capability?

I've found Fusion360 to be equal to or better than sketchup. And it's also free which sketchup used to be but I guess isn't anymore?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Jaded Burnout posted:

I've found Fusion360 to be equal to or better than sketchup. And it's also free which sketchup used to be but I guess isn't anymore?

Sketchup online is free, and fine for simple work, but the full program is paid.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Bondematt posted:

Sketchup online is free, and fine for simple work, but the full program is paid.

Yeah, the full download used to be free also. I guess when they were bought from google it changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Jaded Burnout posted:

Fusion is worlds above sketchup in CAD aspects and material testing, but for texture/skinning its pretty mediocre. I don't know how well it would work for things like figuring out grain patterns/direction.