Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

DisDisDis posted:

id love to be oppressed right about now

hell,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

chumbler posted:

I swear I've seen that art style, but I can't think of who it is.

It means you’ve read Zasha’s eromanga OP

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

DisDisDis posted:

Anyway here's your weekly reminder to read Jealousy by Scarlet Beriko

e; sorry that was a bit flippant. I'm not really interested in an actually straight person compensated dating a gay person (wait... now that i typed that i might be lying) but i really liked We Can't Go Back To Being Friends and the one Schubalts posted which end up with them dating normally (well, idk about the latter) but spend a bit with the ambiguity of the fwb/compensated relationship and of one participant's sexuality before moving into that. The landlord one seems to be like, avoiding the questions and implications of its premise and trying to move into a more typical romance mode quickly with the landlord secretly confessing and telling the other woman she wants to housewife her basically. If it goes hard that direction I'll still read it but I'd find the weirdness more interesting.
Tbf the landlord one would be much more hosed up than either of those if it treated its premise seriously and it also seems like the author going "what if I had a girlfriend and didn't pay rent" and well, fair play there.

I thought about it a bit and some of it just my personal experience giving me bias, but my first assumption on the term was something like someone being forced into having gay sex because they were desperate for money. In other words,

Hel posted:

Like any kind of sexwork it really depends on the circumstances of the specific situation.

That's true, I just assumed one way. Nevermind then!

anyways

DisDisDis posted:

id love to be oppairessed right about now

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Anyone reading retro Shoujo? I'm in the middle of reading Basara and I wish more manga had epic journeys across Japan and interesting MC who have outside motivations. drat, the art is super rough since it's so old though.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Hi, fellow Basara lover. Wish there were more of us to discuss this fantastic, at times incredibly "metal" shoujo manga. :hfive:

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Cuntellectual posted:

I thought about it a bit and some of it just my personal experience giving me bias, but my first assumption on the term was something like someone being forced into having gay sex because they were desperate for money. In other words,

That's true, I just assumed one way. Nevermind then!

anyways

i mean fair on what Hel posted but also like, I'm down to read something where it is really exploitative as long as that thing is interesting and not just parade of awfulness for no reason. I loved Himegoto and Gunjou (and Jealousy)

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

Wark Say posted:

Hi, fellow Basara lover. Wish there were more of us to discuss this fantastic, at times incredibly "metal" shoujo manga. :hfive:

The part I remember most strongly is the when the main character stabbed a shark.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah retro shoujo is good, ive been rereading berserk recently

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Alder posted:

Anyone reading retro Shoujo? I'm in the middle of reading Basara and I wish more manga had epic journeys across Japan and interesting MC who have outside motivations. drat, the art is super rough since it's so old though.

what's rough about that. looks badass

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
real life airbrush is sorely underused in today's shoujo manga

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Useless Princess got updated a couple of days back.

https://mangadex.org/chapter/689237/1

power play by izumi there.

DisDisDis posted:

i mean fair on what Hel posted but also like, I'm down to read something where it is really exploitative as long as that thing is interesting and not just parade of awfulness for no reason. I loved Himegoto and Gunjou (and Jealousy)

I like things that delve into messier things like that too, but it sorta depends more on how tastefully it's done. Like if something's really exploitative and tries to claim it's 'artistic' when it's really not, that annoys me. If it's actually got some meaning to it, or at least honest about what it's doing, that bothers me less. I linked something back in the 'convince to read' thread a little bit back that's kinda like that, and I mean, I liked it. :shrug:

I think I liked himegoto but never read those other two.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

DisDisDis posted:

real life airbrush is sorely underused in today's shoujo manga

Yumi Tamura's art is just so drat great.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Alder posted:

Yeah, I started reading Red River recently! A friend also recommended that I should read From Far Away, so I've been switching between the two series. And although it's not as retro (maybe? I don't remember the publishing dates), I've also been rereading Cat Street. Good stuff.

Speaking of older series, can someone help me remember the name of a manga? It might have been josei, but it was a romance between a rich guy and a woman who was working as a janitor(?). The major twist I remember about it was that the male lead had HIV/AIDS, and it was a surprisingly thoughtful depiction of living with the disease as the two leads developed their relationship. I've been thinking about reading it again, but I can't find it.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Wark Say posted:

It's good like despite all the obstacles Sarasa continues to be a great person who makes difficult decisions during wartime.

At times the art looks outstanding in coloring pages and chapter art but then it's the male faces that get me.

It's very recognizable though compared to some modern manga where I swear it looks like just another artist I just saw a few days ago.

Alder fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Aug 19, 2019

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I just reread Bonnouji and realized that I'm at a bit of a dearth of romantic comedies that involve grownups with jobs and lives getting together. Anyone have some recommendations, preferably ongoing so I can have a minor backlog?

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

MJP posted:

I just reread Bonnouji and realized that I'm at a bit of a dearth of romantic comedies that involve grownups with jobs and lives getting together. Anyone have some recommendations, preferably ongoing so I can have a minor backlog?

Uhh ... not real thick on the ground, but here are a few:

Kawaii Hito
Itoshi no Karin (completed, also a bit short)
Koudaike no Hitobito for psychic fun
Wotakoi: Love is Hard for an Otaku
Stepping a bit outside, but Palace Meidi (completed) ends with everybody an adult. Also I'll take any opportunity to hype Palace Meidi.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

MJP posted:

I'm reading these which are ongoing currently, they're mostly short rom-com things with cohabitating couples:

My Husband is a Housewife - married couple with swapped gender roles (this one has been licensed btw)
I'm Nearly 30, but this is my First Love - just what it says on the tin
Mobuko's Love - less comedy than romance but is very good if you like shy protagonists and slow burns
Futari Ashitamo Sorenarini - dating & living together; I like the dynamic this couple has
Tsun-Ama na Kareshi - tsundere boyfriend, your enjoyment of this will depend on how you feel about the tsun
Koori Zokusei Danshi to Cool na Douryo Joshi - I just found this one, it's more of a gag manga -- the guy is a descendent of a yuki-onna so most of the jokes involve his powers firing off one way or other

There's also Tonari wa Nani o Kuu Hito zo - Horoyoi which is actually a sequel but I think you could probably jump into it without reading the first series although I enjoyed it, the original series is set in college while the sequel is slice of life cohabitation as working adults, with cooking and cute couple stuff.

fake edit: I second the rec for Kawaii Hito, it's one of my favorites right now :3:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Read Collectors and join me in the eternal wait for more.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug

Mirage posted:

Uhh ... not real thick on the ground, but here are a few:

Kawaii Hito
Itoshi no Karin (completed, also a bit short)
Koudaike no Hitobito for psychic fun
Wotakoi: Love is Hard for an Otaku
Stepping a bit outside, but Palace Meidi (completed) ends with everybody an adult. Also I'll take any opportunity to hype Palace Meidi.

Palace Meidi is finished!? Time to binge read it.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

chumbler posted:

Welp, since you mentioned it it's time for me to re-read it for the ??th time.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Everything Burrito posted:

I'm reading these which are ongoing currently, they're mostly short rom-com things with cohabitating couples:

My Husband is a Housewife - married couple with swapped gender roles (this one has been licensed btw)
Tsun-Ama na Kareshi - tsundere boyfriend, your enjoyment of this will depend on how you feel about the tsun
The tsundere boyfriend is basically Mikoshiba if he grew up enough to like and date a 3D girl but not enough to overcome his dumb tsundere phase from high school. The Housewife Husband was cute, too. :3:

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

MJP posted:

Sekitou Elegy - working class Osakans

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Meant to share the other day, but Adachi and Shimamura volume 3 is being TL'd now.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

chumbler posted:

:sigh:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Developments in Kanojo ni Naritai Kimi to Boku

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Everything Burrito posted:

Where did you read this, b/c I can't seem to find it?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The_White_Crane posted:

Where did you read this, b/c I can't seem to find it?
Step right up. :)

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Oh.
Uh. I thought I checked Mangadex, but apparently I am the dumb?

Thank you. :downs:

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
Yoru to Umi

Don't think straight, think fish.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

chumbler posted:

Didn't it end?

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Good chapter

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Motto posted:

Didn't it end?

Sure it's finished but there are like 10 chapters that are still untranslated and are released at a rate of about one per year.

It would probably be faster to buy the kindle version and just learn Japanese to read it.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
New Taamo in these among other things - shoujo licenses w/ free first chapter
https://kodanshacomics.com/2019/08/19/kodansha-digital-firsts-july-august-2019/

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
A short update for Oddman 11. All I can say is Don't drill my nipples

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

The Heaven's have grace us today with new My Wife, Formerly Dead Brother's

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Date your sister-in-law, nozomi.

minato and ritsuko are cute and cool too, but you know in your heart who is right for the two of you. :colbert:

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Brought To You By posted:

A short update for Oddman 11. All I can say is Don't drill my nipples

Why am I so invested in these horny weirdos?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

More Love Song

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

L-O-N posted:

Palace Meidi is finished!? Time to binge read it.

:same: but also now I want more inner royal court poo poo